PDA

View Full Version : Best and Worst Colts and Bills Memories

IAG
11-19-2012, 06:56 AM
Best:1998, Rob Johnson is injured after falling on the point of the football is replaced by Doug Flutie. Flutie gets the "keys to the car" and runs off a winning streak and leads the Bills a 10-6 record and a crazy Wild Card game versus the Fins.

Worst: It was 1989. It was my first Bills game in person. My family traveled to Indiana to visit my brother at Purdue in his frosh year. We went to the Hoosier Dome to see the Bills. The Bills got killed. They could not move the ball. The Colts had their way with Buffalo. I remember Ronnie Harmon could not even return the ball back to the 20. I was in 7th grade and I was shocked that Colts fans burned a Jim Kelly shirt in the stands. With all that said, we sat amongst Bills fans. A group of Bills fans found out I was Maine and gave me a sweatshirt, headband and a pom pom from the playoff game from the year prior (Oilers and Bills 88 maybe?). I will always be grateful to those awesome fans. I still have that gear to this day.

Go Bills!

Historian
11-19-2012, 07:45 AM
Best: 38-0 Shutout on a Sunday night, 9/20/92.

Worst: 47-6 scab game loss, on 10/4/87.

Tie: 17-17 at Baltimore in on 11/15/70. The Colts won the Super Bowl two months later.

Generalissimus Gibby
11-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Best: The second greatest comeback in NFL regular season history back in 1997
Worst: The game after the Tampa game when the Bills were still 7-5 and had a shot at the playoffs in 2000 and they just quit trying. 2000, despite its record, was one of the single worst seasons this franchise has ever had because it planted the seeds of futility, mediocrity, and culture of failure that have been the hallmarks of this team for the past 13 years.

Ed
11-19-2012, 12:33 PM
Worst: The game after the Tampa game when the Bills were still 7-5 and had a shot at the playoffs in 2000 and they just quit trying. 2000, despite its record, was one of the single worst seasons this franchise has ever had because it planted the seeds of futility, mediocrity, and culture of failure that have been the hallmarks of this team for the past 13 years.
You mean where Wade Philips said during his halftime interview that neither of these teams were going to the playoffs and then the Colts ended up making it. I remember that.

Skooby
11-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Best: December 22, 1990 - Buffalo beats Miami, we go 8-0 at home & we all storm the field to take the goal-posts out of the stadium. Here's a video & I've still got that netting somewhere: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX27Wq2ob6c

Worst: Sitting at home watching my Mom cry as the kick sailed wide-right in the SuperBowl, she never cried for football one minute before that happened. It broke her heart, as well as many of us fans. I will live to make a sign that will say, "You don't have to cry anymore Mom, we won this time". RIP my angel.

Night Train
11-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Worst - I was in high school in 1975. At home against the Baltimore Colts. O.J. runs one in from 44 yards, then catches a 22 yard and 32 yard TD from Fergy. Up 21-0..and they lose 42-35. Bert Jones passes for 300 + yards and 3 TD's.

I realize some young folks here never saw Bert Jones out of LSU.. but before his knees went bad all too early in his career, you had to see this guy throw the ball. Whined a lot to the refs for pass INT penalties, which he got a rep for but what a cannon arm and deadly accurate. One of the best 5 QB's I ever saw when he was in his prime.
I couldn't believe some of the passes he completed and threw the most perfect long ball I ever saw. He was Elway before Elway. Ted Marchibroda was his coach and like Kelly, he cut him loose and let him run the Offense.

Oaf
11-19-2012, 01:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW9_DyyzLkw

LOL at the Colts backup chucking Kurt Schulz. Great game.

coastal
11-19-2012, 02:19 PM
I remember when they were part of the Adams Division.

IAG
11-19-2012, 05:52 PM

Nice call on the 97 comeback. I was in college and Pats fans were giving crap about being down to the Colts. I believe it was a 4pm game right? Anyways, the Bills had some special times.

Fixxxer
11-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Manning almost stole Rhodes' limelight in the running game.

Not known for his mobility, Manning fooled everyone when, on a third-and-1, he faked a handoff and broke to his left, scoring on a naked bootleg from 33 yards.

"I didn't call it until the last minute," said Manning, who saw Buffalo's defense cheating the other way. "I'm 4-for-4 on those things: three times in college and my first one here."

It was the second-longest touchdown run by a Colts quarterback, 10 yards short of George Taliaferro's run in 1953.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=211104002

I don't know if this was the worst moment but it was a notable one, he played it perfectly and it was probably the slowest 33 yard TD that I ever watched.

Worst? this one, it gave the false impression Rob Johnson knew what he was doing.
Indianapolis Colts 6 at Buffalo Bills 31
Sunday, January 2, 2000

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200001020buf.htm

IAG
11-19-2012, 08:48 PM
I was at that game in 2001. Made my annual trip to Buffalo. Poor Bills got killed. That bootleg was embarrassing. I think DaShon Polk is still looking for the ball.

Generalissimus Gibby
11-20-2012, 07:19 PM
You mean where Wade Philips said during his halftime interview that neither of these teams were going to the playoffs and then the Colts ended up making it. I remember that.

That would be the one, like I said 2000 was one of the single worst seasons this team has ever had.

jimmifli
11-20-2012, 07:31 PM
Worst: Rob Johnson killing the Colts in a meaningless final game of the season and then getting handed the starting job.

The Jokeman
11-20-2012, 08:52 PM
Best:1998, Rob Johnson is injured after falling on the point of the football is replaced by Doug Flutie. Flutie gets the "keys to the car" and runs off a winning streak and leads the Bills a 10-6 record and a crazy Wild Card game versus the Fins.

One could debate this was one of the WORST. As if RJ doesn't get hurt that day who knows what happens. Maybe he plays as well as he did against the Rams and 49ers he in the Weeks before this game and maybe he becomes a long term answer or maybe he plays like crap but he still gets a chance to play out the season and maybe the next one and in doing so proves he's not what we thought he was and look to replace him sooner than later and maybe just maybe we find a long term answer at QB.

IAG
11-21-2012, 02:55 AM
One could debate this was one of the WORST. As if RJ doesn't get hurt that day who knows what happens. Maybe he plays as well as he did against the Rams and 49ers he in the Weeks before this game and maybe he becomes a long term answer or maybe he plays like crap but he still gets a chance to play out the season and maybe the next one and in doing so proves he's not what we thought he was and look to replace him sooner than later and maybe just maybe we find a long term answer at QB.

I like RJ, but Doug saved the season and his popularity I still think saved the Bills in Buffalo at that time. People can spin it in different ways, but Doug was magic that year.

The team never respected Flutie in the end. He should have started the Tennessee game (though Rob DID leave the game with the lead) and in 2000 Doug ran off a few wins and again Wade when back to RJ. I cannot help, but wonder the "what ifs" from the past.