X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

2011 Draft... Interesting

Just looking over the first round of the draft at this point in time its kind of annoying that we end up with Dareus when guys like:

Watt - PB
    Kerrigan - Impact player
    AJ Green - PB
    Patrick Peterson - Impact player - PB as returner
    Julio Jones - Impact player
    Aldon Smith - Should have been in PB - 23.5 sacks to date
    Nick Fairley - Impact player
    Robert Quinn - Impact player - 13.5 sacks to date
    Adrian Clayborn - Impact player
    Cameron Jordan - Impact player
    Phil Taylor - Impact player

I think its interesting because every year we get caught up in what position should be drafted instead of who is worthy of the value of draft position.

When you look at Dareus now, he is what we thought he was, a high floor -- low ceiling player while it seems many of the players picked in the first round around him have passed him in terms of current value.

I hope in our next draft fans will forget about the position of the player and focus only on who deserves to be selected in that spot. Even if we draft another CB I will support it if its determined he is the best player available.
  • MitchMurrayDowntown
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Re: 2011 Draft... Interesting

Dareus is young, so I'd step away from the ledge until we see another year or so under his belt.

Comment

• Mahdi
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
      Dareus is young, so I'd step away from the ledge until we see another year or so under his belt.
      ummm they're all young... and... how am I "on the ledge"? I'm bringing up a topic...

Comment

• Ed
        Dude
        • Sep 2002

If the Bills had passed on Dareus and taken JJ Watt #3 overall, everyone on this board would have lost their minds.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
          Making Spirits Bright
          • Mar 2006

At least we didn't draft Blaine Gabbert.

Comment

• Mahdi
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Ed View Post
            If the Bills had passed on Dareus and taken JJ Watt #3 overall, everyone on this board would have lost their minds.
            Would have been temporary insanity...

Comment

• GingerP
              • Aug 2012

I think they would have gotten over it. Imagine Watt and Kyle Williams playing together?

Comment

• Bill Cody
                • Sep 2004

So true. The irony is the one time a white DE is any good we don't draft him

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Im failing to see what the issue is. Dareus is an impact player.
                  COMING SOON...
                  Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                    Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                    • Jun 2005

i dont see a problem witg dareus. this is one dtaft that i cant argue with. now look at the others and you can do this

Comment

• Mahdi
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                      Im failing to see what the issue is. Dareus is an impact player.
                      No he is not an impact player. He has had good games only against a couple of weak teams. Otherwise he hasn't shown up. He is also infrequently seen in the backfield.

Not saying he sucks but he certainly has not had the same impact the others are having.

Comment

• X-Era
                        What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post
                        Just looking over the first round of the draft at this point in time its kind of annoying that we end up with Dareus when guys like:

Watt - PB
                        Kerrigan - Impact player
                        AJ Green - PB
                        Patrick Peterson - Impact player - PB as returner
                        Julio Jones - Impact player
                        Aldon Smith - Should have been in PB - 23.5 sacks to date
                        Nick Fairley - Impact player
                        Robert Quinn - Impact player - 13.5 sacks to date
                        Adrian Clayborn - Impact player
                        Cameron Jordan - Impact player
                        Phil Taylor - Impact player

I think its interesting because every year we get caught up in what position should be drafted instead of who is worthy of the value of draft position.

When you look at Dareus now, he is what we thought he was, a high floor -- low ceiling player while it seems many of the players picked in the first round around him have passed him in terms of current value.

I hope in our next draft fans will forget about the position of the player and focus only on who deserves to be selected in that spot. Even if we draft another CB I will support it if its determined he is the best player available.
                        Fairley, and Jordan are not impact players IMO.

Fairley has never impressed me. He had 1 sack and 15 tackles in 10 games last year. Dareus had 43 tackles and 5.5 sacks along with 1 fumble recovery, 2 passes defended, and 4 stuffs
                        Dareus is way better than Fairley.
                        Jordan had 31 tackles an 1 sack
                        Clayborn had 42 tackles 7.5 sacks and 3 forced fumbles
                        Last edited by X-Era; 11-19-2012, 02:35 PM.

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post
                          No he is not an impact player. He has had good games only against a couple of weak teams. Otherwise he hasn't shown up. He is also infrequently seen in the backfield.

Not saying he sucks but he certainly has not had the same impact the others are having.
                          He is not having a great year, but he has had personal problems losing a loved one & is playing in a new defense this year. I will cut him some slack for this year & see how he plays next year myself.

Comment

• Mahdi
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
                            Fairley, and Jordan are not impact players IMO.

Fairley is still pretty useless and never really appears. He had 1 sack and 15 tackles in 10 games last year. Dareus had 43 tackles and 5.5 sacks.
                            Dareus is way better than Fairley.
                            Jordan had 31 tackles an 1 sack
                            Clayborn had 42 tackles 7.5 sacks and 3 forced fumbles
                            Fairley has been coming on strong the last few weeks since getting healthy and has been a major impact player for Detroit. He is starting to look like a Warren Sapp type player. Clayborn hasn't been playing due to injury but when he was he was a beast at DE. The guy is strong at the PoA in the run game and is a good pass rusher.

Cam Jordan has also begun to be a more impact player although I don't think I'd have him over Dareus at this point.

Comment

• Mahdi
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by better days View Post
                              He is not having a great year, but he has had personal problems losing a loved one & is playing in a new defense this year. I will cut him some slack for this year & see how he plays next year myself.
                              Yeah I agree that he may have some untapped potential, next year he can become dominant or even later this season. I'm just saying that as of now, many of the other guys taken after him have established themselves into impact players while Dareus has been in many games abused by opposing offenses.

Comment

Working...
                              X