X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Merriman or Kelsay this week

I'm not talking about one or the other for playing. Last Thursday we have a 3 DE rotation due to injury and I think they got tired towards the end. So I still want Kelsay to get on the field.

The question is who plays more. Maybe the injury to Kelsay will decide for us but I admit Merriman surprised me. He seemed to recognize plays well and was able to win some battles against Long (Mind you I don't think Long is that GREAT these days). Maybe they should play Merriman more even when Kelsay is available.
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Re: Merriman or Kelsay this week

Merriman is a desperate man. Hopefully he keeps playing as such.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• DBrown77
      Watching the Bills suck since 1999
      • Mar 2005

I only noticed 2 good plays by Merriman which were where he blew up Jake Long on the sweep and the sack.

Were there others i missed?

I would rather see Kelsey more if he healthy as he is a more impact player. Merriman does set the edge better though.

Comment

• Meathead
        Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
        • Jul 2002

kelsay is the better player so if hes ready he gets the bulk of the plays. but merriman was finally noticeable so im glad hes here too and should get his share of time
        One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by DBrown77 View Post
          I only noticed 2 good plays by Merriman which were where he blew up Jake Long on the sweep and the sack.

Were there others i missed?

I would rather see Kelsey more if he healthy as he is a more impact player. Merriman does set the edge better though.
          Those were GREAT plays by Merriman, not good plays. he had a number of good plays as well, setting the edge as you said.

Comment

• Ed
            Dude
            • Sep 2002

Both players should get a decent amount of snaps. I would just say keep them fresh and try to take advantage of their strengths based on the situation. I don't know if you really need to decide who plays more. The game will probably dictate that.

Comment

• MTBillsFan
              • May 2003

Merriman was a real pain in the butt to the fish. It was nice to see him show up. Was Mario getting double teamed on the other side during these plays? I drank a lot of beer and vodka Thursday night.
              Send me some wings!

Comment

• Oaf
                Do you read what you write?
                • Jun 2007

Can you imagine having MARIO WILLIAMS on one side and "LIGHTS OUT" SHAWNE MERRIMAN on the other would be so pedestrian?

Comment

• Mahdi
                  • Mar 2004

Merriman should play. Younger, faster, stronger and more motivated. Not to mention more talented.

Getting Merriman into a groove can have a big impact on our defense the rest of the way.

Comment

• coastal
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Mar 2005

Who sets the edge better?

pick him.

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

part of the problem in our run game was kelsay going so wide. Chris Johnson's 80 yard gallop was with him out of place.

Merriman should be in there. even if he doesn't have a big play, he holds his spot much better. other peeople know kelsay's MO (for the last 8 yearS) and just let him walk out of the play and then run where he should have been.

Comment

• DBrown77
                        Watching the Bills suck since 1999
                        • Mar 2005

Kelsey gets burned on misdirection too. Tennessee ran that same naked bootleg 3-4 times and he bit every time.

Comment

• IAG
                          • Jan 2005

Kelsay. Merriman will be better if Wanny can measure his snaps.

Comment

• TigerJ
                            • Jul 2002

Well, here's my two cents worth. First, we are getting to the point where Anderson has a chance to be healthy enough to play. Thus, he may be in the mix. Between Merriman and Kelsay, it might be fair to suggest that Merriman is still shaking off the rust. After all, before his current stint with the Bills, (I mean after getting cut and then re-signed) it was how many years since he's been on the field for more than a play or two? To me, that suggests he's on something akin to a learning curve. He may have all the head knowledge, but that's different from actually playing the game. That may mean he's going to keep getting better for a while. In any case, a healthy, back in the groove Shawn Merriman is a pretty decent run defender as well as capable of getting some sacks. I know Chris Kelsay has the reputation of being strong against the run, but I remember several plays earlier in the season where he made a strong inside move, only to lose contain and have a running back scoot outside for some huge gains. I haven't analyzed every play the two guys have had this season, but right now, I'm liking Merriman more both as a run defender and a pass rusher. Thus, I would give him more plays, and not just as a third and long pass rusher.

It's not out of the question, if Mark Anderson is ready to go and is activated that between Merriman and Kelsay, one will be a healthy inactive.
                            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• IAG
                              • Jan 2005

Keep Merriman on a "pitch count". Fewer the plays, the more explosive.

Comment

Working...
                              X