PDA

View Full Version : It's time to fix the Thanksgiving games

IlluminatusUIUC
11-19-2012, 08:04 PM
Show of hands, does anyone really care about the Dallas and Detroit "tradition" on Thanksgiving? IMO it's boring, doesn't really add much, and gives those teams primetime games they don't necessarily deserve. So what do you think about these options:

A) This was suggested on Tuesday Morning QB, and I think it's a good idea. Have the two Conference champions host the Thanksgiving games against the opposing conference champ game losers. So this year, you'd have San Francisco @ New England and Baltimore @ New York. Both of those would be monster games.

But, if it causes too much havoc with the scheduling, I propose a different option:

B) Rotate the thanksgiving games among the cities that cannot host the Super Bowl, 1 for the AFC, 1 for the NFC.

Skooby
11-19-2012, 08:17 PM
The NFL appreciates the previous support but we know that holds no future value for the league based on ratings.

ServoBillieves
11-19-2012, 08:52 PM
I actually really like the idea of rotating teams that can't host a Super Bowl.

That being said, none of the front offices care and it will always be the stupid "tradition" of Detroit, the Cowboys, and whoever Roger Goodell is in love with this year.

THRILLHO
11-19-2012, 09:26 PM
I don't mind it. Its always been that way, why change it? Its tradition.

Mr. Pink
11-19-2012, 10:07 PM
It's fine the way it is, one of the more "purist" type things that shouldn't be screwed with, imo.

THRILLHO
11-19-2012, 10:50 PM
And we now have a third game which as far as I know is not locked into any specific team, giving all teams a chance to play on Turkey Day.

gebobs
11-20-2012, 12:27 AM
I'm actually glad I don't have to watch a Bills game on Thanksgiving. No sense ruining a great holiday.

Seriously, there's enough going on that day for me. I would rather not give up 4 hours or so with my attention drawn to the television.

don137
11-20-2012, 06:39 AM
I can live without seeing the Cowboys. They are on tv enough. Dont need to see them more especially Jerry Jones.

GingerP
11-20-2012, 06:46 AM
B) Rotate the thanksgiving games among the cities that cannot host the Super Bowl, 1 for the AFC, 1 for the NFC.

This is a great idea.

trapezeus
11-20-2012, 08:24 AM
i think the lions are the first game so that families can traditionally make the meal without feeling like they are "missing" anything.

stuckincincy
11-20-2012, 08:46 AM
I don't mind it. Its always been that way, why change it? Its tradition.

I'm with ya.

People in DAL and DET do attend, but I couldn't see rushing off to a football game on Thanksgiving day. That's for family.

Historian
11-20-2012, 08:48 AM
Start rotating everybody.

Keep the Lions if you want, but get rid of Dallas.

The Bills actually beat the Cardinals on Thanksgiving Day 32-14 on November 27, 1975, so the Dallas thing is a relatively new phenomenon.

MidnightVoice
11-20-2012, 09:00 AM
And given that Black Friday has moved to Thursday, traditions are changing all the time

justasportsfan
11-20-2012, 09:11 AM
I can live without seeing the Cowboys. They are on tv enough. Dont need to see them more especially Jerry Jones.

I don't mind watching the cowboys getting their arse handed to them.

kishoph
11-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Start rotating everybody.

Keep the Lions if you want, but get rid of Dallas.

The Bills actually beat the Cardinals on Thanksgiving Day 32-14 on November 27, 1975, so the Dallas thing is a relatively new phenomenon.

I thought the same thing, but here's what I found. The Detroit Lions have hosted a game every Thanksgiving Day since 1934 (with the exception of 1939–1944 due to World War II), and they have been nationally televised since 1962. In 1966, the NFL introduced an annual Thanksgiving game hosted by the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas has played on that holiday every season since then, except in 1975 and 1977 when the St. Louis Cardinals hosted a game instead. I do not see why the games could not be rotated.

Ed
11-20-2012, 09:40 AM
Show of hands, does anyone really care about the Dallas and Detroit "tradition" on Thanksgiving? IMO it's boring, doesn't really add much, and gives those teams primetime games they don't necessarily deserve. So what do you think about these options:

A) This was suggested on Tuesday Morning QB, and I think it's a good idea. Have the two Conference champions host the Thanksgiving games against the opposing conference champ game losers. So this year, you'd have San Francisco @ New England and Baltimore @ New York. Both of those would be monster games.

But, if it causes too much havoc with the scheduling, I propose a different option:

I wouldn't mind changing it up, but scenario A wouldn't work every year. The out of conference division you play is already set as you just rotate through the divisions each year. If the AFC East was playing the NFC North this year for example, then SF wouldn't be on the Pats schedule and there would be no way for them to play each other.

And I agree with gebobs. I'd rather not see the Bills on Thanksgiving. I don't need the stress and distraction of a Bills game on a nice holiday. I'd rather just relax and catch parts of the other teams playing.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-20-2012, 09:47 AM
And given that Black Friday has moved to Thursday, traditions are changing all the time

For God's sakes, Texas and A&M have played on Thanksgiving weekend for over a century, and that's ending this year too. I like traditions as much as anyone, but they should be interesting. Dallas/Detroit bores me.

superbills
11-20-2012, 09:48 AM
...I do not see why the games could not be rotated.

Because (the Lions notwithstanding) Roger Goodell would stop receiving sexual favors from Jerry Jones.

Typ0
11-20-2012, 09:52 AM
I think they should play games on every day of the week myself....

DraftBoy
11-20-2012, 11:04 AM
For God's sakes, Texas and A&M have played on Thanksgiving weekend for over a century, and that's ending this year too. I like traditions as much as anyone, but they should be interesting. Dallas/Detroit bores me.

Yes but that's because Texas and Deloss are butt hurt that the Aggies left.

- - - Updated - - -

I think they should play games on every day of the week myself....

We already have games on every day of the week;
Sunday-Monday-Thursday: NFL
Saturday-Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday-Friday: NCAA

OLDSRIP
11-24-2012, 01:37 PM
[QUOTE=gebobs;3715045]I'm actually glad I don't have to watch a Bills game on Thanksgiving. No sense ruining a great holiday.

Thats goes with my thinking. Detroit has lost what, 9 in a row? I think that's what they said. Could you imagine having that as a tradition.

Detroit is rarely a factor in the playoff race this time of year. I do wish they would rotate different teams.
at least Dallas games have a good chance of being important.