PDA

View Full Version : RIP Ernie Warlick

better days
11-25-2012, 02:33 AM
Ernie Warlick, the best TE in Bills history has passed on. Prayers to his family.

Skooby
11-25-2012, 02:52 AM
RIP Ernie.

kishoph
11-25-2012, 05:08 AM
Ernest "Ernie" "Big Hoss" Warlick, RIP
He played a little before I started watching football, so unfortunately I never got to see him play. He was an AFL All Star every one of the 4 years that he played for the Bills, including the 2 Championship seasons. He was 30 years old when he came to the Bills, which I'd guess is why he only played for 4 years. He ended up with a career 17.2 ypc average, but from what I'm learning, is that he was a key blocker in the Buffalo run game, helping pave way for the Great Cookie Gilchrist for the 3 years he was here. Maybe one day we'll see his name up on the Wall.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/kishoph/WarlickErnie2.jpg

Skooby
11-25-2012, 05:13 AM
He played a little before I started watching football, so unfortunately I never got to see him play. He was an AFL All Star every one of the 4 years that he played for the Bills, including the 2 Championship seasons. He was 30 years old when he came to the Bills, which I'd guess is why he only played for 4 years. He ended up with a career 17.2 ypc average, but from what I'm learning, is that he was a key blocker in the Buffalo run game, helping pave way for the Great Cookie Gilchrist for the 3 years he was here. Maybe one day we'll see his name up on the Wall.

If you look real close, you'll see water just entering the surface of the Earth for the first time.

kishoph
11-25-2012, 06:00 AM
If you look real close, you'll see water just entering the surface of the Earth for the first time.

I'm pretty good at catching on to most things, but you have me totally lost on this.

stuckincincy
11-25-2012, 06:02 AM
RIP, Ernie...

I remember the Henry's Hamburgers shop you owned on Main, and also your time on tv after you retired.

better days
11-25-2012, 06:45 AM

As a young kid I had the privilege to watch Ernie & the Bills at War Memorial Stadium or the Rockpile as it was called. What set Ernie apart from other TEs of the period was his pass catching ability. He was one of the first TEs to be used as a receiver, fast with good hands. TEs until then were blockers period, Ernie Warlick changed how that position was played & as such IMO should be in the HOF.

And with people complaining about the Ralph, his death reminded me about going to those games at the Rockpile. Talk about a Stadium falling apart. And rowdy behavior by fans, guys would bring in bottles of beer by the case & even Kegs of beer. As a 9 year old kid I can guarantee I was exposed to much more than kids are today at the Ralph & I LOVED it, but I guess at 9 years old we were tougher than many young men in their 20s today.

YardRat
11-25-2012, 09:21 AM
RIP Ernie...

Billz_fan
11-25-2012, 11:13 AM
RIP Ernie. Thank you for your part in Buffalo's only titles.