PDA

View Full Version : 50 yard + FG's are totally out of the question

Skooby
11-25-2012, 05:58 PM
You'd think that one of our kickers could find a range between 50-60 yards just to get us much needed points on the board. I'll attribute a 6 point loss during this game & many more missed points by this aspect of our offense out of the picture. Our opponents can almost always play bend don't break because anything near their 33 yard line is off limits. The severely impedes our ability to keep us off a TD score or ahead accordingly.

Mr. Pink
11-25-2012, 05:59 PM
34 yard line = punt to play the field position battle instead of trying to score 3 points.

Don't you love the mindset of the head coach of this team?

Johnny Bugmenot
11-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Dave Rayner's still available. Just sayin'.

Typ0
11-25-2012, 06:15 PM
I can't really argue with the thinking on this one. The defense has been pretty good and we need to score TDs not field goals. Why take a shot at a lower percentage field goal??? The call was more a function of the way our team has performed the last two weeks than the ability of the kicking game IMO.

ServoBillieves
11-25-2012, 06:32 PM
<script src="http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#pbid=1898145da292480e8dcd17544f907111&ec=JlZW45NjqMdzJxrBWQ-cKPJIUsvOFBMf"></script>

ServoBillieves
11-25-2012, 06:34 PM
That kid can do it, but a grown man can't.

Oaf
11-25-2012, 07:51 PM
That kid can do it, but a grown man can't.

Not having a kicker who can hit FGs from the 34yd line inside a DOME in the NFL is ridiculous.

Skooby
11-25-2012, 08:11 PM
Not having a kicker who can hit FGs from the 34yd line inside a DOME in the NFL is ridiculous.

Any winning team is ready for this basic necessity.

jamze132
11-25-2012, 11:49 PM
I don't get it. We've all seen Lindel hit from 50+. I would rather go for it than punt it for a net of 15-20 yards.

kishoph
11-26-2012, 01:35 AM
How can you have a kicker on your roster that you don't trust to attempt a 50 yd FG, it's as foolish as having a backup QB that you don't trust to put in the game, no matter how bad your starter is doing, or having a 3rd string QB that has a better skill set than the 2 guys in front of him, yet you wont even give him reps in practice, or having your $100 Million FA injured and you don't even know about it, or having one of the most exciting, explosive RB's in the league, yet you give him 14 carries, etc, etc, etc. I'm done blaming the players (except for one of them), Gailey has no business being the head coach of this team. I give the players some credit for having loyalty and not throwing Gailey under the bus (Stevie's coming close), but I have to believe that Gailey is very close to losing his players. Why should they have any faith in him when he has no faith in them. It's time for a billboard (I know billboards don't work).

ThunderGun
11-26-2012, 09:04 AM
How can you have a kicker on your roster that you don't trust to attempt a 50 yd FG, it's as foolish as having a backup QB that you don't trust to put in the game, no matter how bad your starter is doing, or having a 3rd string QB that has a better skill set than the 2 guys in front of him, yet you wont even give him reps in practice, or having your $100 Million FA injured and you don't even know about it, or having one of the most exciting, explosive RB's in the league, yet you give him 14 carries, etc, etc, etc. I'm done blaming the players (except for one of them), Gailey has no business being the head coach of this team. I give the players some credit for having loyalty and not throwing Gailey under the bus (Stevie's coming close), but I have to believe that Gailey is very close to losing his players. Why should they have any faith in him when he has no faith in them. It's time for a billboard (I know billboards don't work).

The problem is that there just aren't that many good, consistent kickers available. Lindell is very consistent from within 45 yards. I'd say he's almost automatic on anything < 40 (I'd still have no faith in him if the game were on the line though). We can bring in a guy with a bigger leg, but then we would probably lose the consistency that Lindell gives us for the shorter kicks.

I don't know what the answer is...

Skooby
11-26-2012, 09:24 AM
The problem is that there just aren't that many good, consistent kickers available. Lindell is very consistent from within 45 yards. I'd say he's almost automatic on anything < 40 (I'd still have no faith in him if the game were on the line though). We can bring in a guy with a bigger leg, but then we would probably lose the consistency that Lindell gives us for the shorter kicks.

I've been watching some college games, there's some kickers out there.

kishoph
11-26-2012, 10:27 AM

The last attempt of 50 yards or more was in 2010, Lindell in that range has made 54.5 %, his longest being 56 yds. in 2009. The main thing for me is, this was not a game deciding kick, it was in the 2nd quarter and in a domed stadium. That's showing no faith, in not only your kicker, but in your defense. What really burns my ass about that series, is that Spiller gained 27 yds. on the first 3 carries (11, 13, 3), so the genius decides to pull Spiller and bring in Jackson, who proceeded to lose 3 yards, then on third and 10, Fitz takes a 4 yard sack, putting Lindell out of Gailey's "comfort zone." This could be a good team, but unfortunately the 2 weakest spots are the most important, being QB and HC, fix that and we'll have a team that can compete.

gebobs
11-26-2012, 10:37 AM
No one has been a bigger supporter of Lindell than me over the years. He doesn't have the range of Christie, but over his career he's been more accurate from inside the 45. But his days are numbered. And here are the numbers: Games 12-16, 2012. He will not be on the team next season.