PDA

View Full Version : Giving Bills FO Benefit of the Doubt

Mike
11-25-2012, 06:24 PM
Over the past 12 years, every time a new and obviously inept coaching staff was hired many argued that we should reserve judgement and give them the benefit of the doubt. So Did giving the Bills FO the Benefit of the Doubt make a difference?

Typ0
11-25-2012, 06:27 PM
the Bills FO is what the problem is. So giving them the benefit of the doubt just perpetuates the pain we are all in. I have been saying this since this site was founded LOL....

kingJofNYC
11-25-2012, 06:35 PM
If the fans didn't give this team the benefit of the doubt we'd have the longest blackout streak in football. Don't blame the fans for having hope. Without fan support it would be a no brainer to move them once Ralph croaks.

Mike
11-25-2012, 06:50 PM
No matter how you approach it as a fan, being a realist vs homer, it will not give or take away any wins.

As for putting fans in the seats I think there are two ways to look at it.
1) Bad Team with homer fans = more sold out games = more $$$ = Bills Stay in Buffalo but no incentive to improve bad team
2) Bad team with realistic fans = more pressure on FO to make changes = Bills improve = more sold out games
3) Good team = more $$$

Best option is #3, however you can not get to number 3 without first going from 1 then to 2. You have to realize that the team has issues before you can decide to improve. If the team and fans oscillate between stage #1 and #2 (improvement) it eventually disheartens the fan base and only the most loyal and homeristic fans stick around. However if you want to have a huge fan base, you have to be a winner and that is the best model for making money and keeping the team in NY.

ghz in pittsburgh
11-25-2012, 07:15 PM
I'm starting to wonder if Chan is the right guy. I like his message, but I feel he's just too one sided and with the play calling responsibility etc., perhaps the best role may indeed be an OC. The last two games, I get the distinct feeling on offense that he was overwhelmed.

I don't like a wholesale change, AGAIN. But if there is a more established managing role HC willing to come in not changing too much offense and defense philosophy, I'm all for it.

I want to point out that the job should be more attractive than they were 3 years ago because the talent is higher than they were then. They need a big breakthrough in QB though.

EDS
11-26-2012, 08:42 AM
I'm starting to wonder if Chan is the right guy. I like his message, but I feel he's just too one sided and with the play calling responsibility etc., perhaps the best role may indeed be an OC. The last two games, I get the distinct feeling on offense that he was overwhelmed.

I don't like a wholesale change, AGAIN. But if there is a more established managing role HC willing to come in not changing too much offense and defense philosophy, I'm all for it.

I want to point out that the job should be more attractive than they were 3 years ago because the talent is higher than they were then. They need a big breakthrough in QB though.

You are only starting to wonder if Chan is the right guy?

BADTHINGSMAN
11-26-2012, 09:03 AM

Im not so sure the talent was the major issue. It certainly didnt help but IMO its Ralph that was the majority of why better coaches wont come to Buffalo.

Typ0
11-26-2012, 09:11 AM
It's hard to say anything about Chan. I said the same thing about Dick Jauron. These guys need tools they don't have. The problem is we are never giving the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt and always giving the front office the benefit of the doubt. As far as I'm concerned I respect Chan. He does what he believes in. If we had a QB this team would be winning right now Fitz is not able to make the plays except for on occasion. Why don't we have a different QB? The problem with this organization is Russ Brandon I'm convinced of it. He's too business oriented which is great on the business side...but it's ruined the football side. Ralph wilson was always an emotional decision maker...but along with that he got emotional about winning and could hit on some really great things sometimes. He's out of it now and trusting Brandon to keep the team stable. Well stable does not include a winning culture ...

better days
11-26-2012, 09:13 AM

We know Gruden won't come to Buffalo. Others such as Dungy & Cowher will never Coach again. I would love to see Billick in Buffalo & he would jump at the chance to Coach the Bills.

Typ0
11-26-2012, 09:19 AM
Both Billick and Shottenheimer wanted this job. Can you imagine where Spiller would be were we playing marty ball?

BADTHINGSMAN
11-26-2012, 09:30 AM
Both Billick and Shottenheimer wanted this job. Can you imagine where Spiller would be were we playing marty ball?

Its beyond frustrating that CJ could be what LT was, at least pretty damn close.

Typ0
11-26-2012, 09:32 AM
Marty and a QB and this team is looking at good seeding in the playoffs. And boo hoo Shots has trouble winning in the playoffs. This is the perfect opportunity for him here.

GingerP
11-26-2012, 09:36 AM
Marty would meet Ralph's age qualification as well. He will turn 70 early next season.

Typ0
11-26-2012, 09:39 AM
That scares me LOL. The problem I see with Chan is he's just lost an edge of sharpness that comes with age and wisdom.

djjimkelly
11-26-2012, 09:45 AM
this team is way better to watch and has a ton more pieces then the last regime.

im not saying a pass forever but chan does need one more year.

and i do believe buddy has done a nice job as the GM. both of our lines are competitive. in fact i think our O line is very good and with a real D coordinator we would be saying the same thing about the D line.

give chan a qb and a new d coordinator and he will be fine.

ghz in pittsburgh
11-26-2012, 10:11 AM
It's hard to say anything about Chan. I said the same thing about Dick Jauron. These guys need tools they don't have. The problem is we are never giving the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt and always giving the front office the benefit of the doubt. As far as I'm concerned I respect Chan. He does what he believes in. If we had a QB this team would be winning right now Fitz is not able to make the plays except for on occasion. Why don't we have a different QB? The problem with this organization is Russ Brandon I'm convinced of it. He's too business oriented which is great on the business side...but it's ruined the football side. Ralph wilson was always an emotional decision maker...but along with that he got emotional about winning and could hit on some really great things sometimes. He's out of it now and trusting Brandon to keep the team stable. Well stable does not include a winning culture ...
I actually think that Fitz lost a lot of respect from his teamates this game. Yes he had worse games earlier this year, but this is playoff like game, do or die, and we are not the worse team on that field: you gotta come through.

The defense did an OK job, maybe a little better than OK. On offense the O-line had probably the worst game of the year, no doubt. BUT, they still gave the QB a few chances, in particular, the long balls. You HAVE TO make those - they are not difficult throws. They remind me a few of the Giants' games. Eli can look like sh$t, then he hits a couple of those when given the chance and everyone on your team changed.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-26-2012, 10:15 AM
The problem with the "Give Chan time" argument is that it's not that his units need time to gel or to learn his schemes. They know them. The problem is that the schemes are crap and he makes idiotic decisions. HOw much time does he need to learn that Fitz is in way over his head and we shouldn't be calling 60+% passes in one possession games? How much time does he need to realize you should never ever ever be punting inside an opponents 40 in a dome? That Brad Smith should not be taking a snap and should NEVER be passing the ball in critical situations? That Fitz can't hit the sideline go route and the best outcome is a pass interference?

ghz in pittsburgh
11-26-2012, 10:21 AM

I don't want an old retreat like Marty. We need to look forward.

I also don't think Spiller is the kind of guy who can the horse for Marty ball. The thing here in Buffalo is the QB. When the defense crowd the line and expose their secondary, you gotta make them pay. Fitz could not do it.