I'm convinced we are being Major League'd.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

I'm convinced we are being Major League'd.....

A few years back, someone on this site brought up the idea that we are being Major League'd -ie, the team is being intentionally run into the ground to devalue it and make it easier to move (I'd give credit but I can't remember who it was).

At first I thought the idea was interesting, but not necessarily true. Now, it seems to be the only possible explanation.

13 years with no playoffs. Over that time period, we've had 5 different coaches: Phillips, Williams, Mularkey, Jauron, Gailey. We've had 4 different GM's: Donahoe, Brandon, Levy, Nix. We've had a bunch of different starting QB's: Johnson, Bledsoe, Losman, Holcomb, Edwards, Fitzpatrick.... and no matter what the combination was, the results were the same. Only one winning season in 13 years, no playoffs.

This was the year things were supposed to be different. We went out and got a high priced FA in Mario Williams, we re-signed Stevie and Fred Jackson, whereas in the past players like that would have been allowed to walk. Yet, the results are the same.

How is this possible by accident or random chance? You could intentionally try to do things wrong and still not be this bad.

The Bills have certainly weakened their bargaining position with the county/state on a stadium deal with this poor play, and it won't get any better now that we are about to start seeing blackouts. It makes it easier for the team to say "well we couldn't get what we wanted from the local governments so we were forced to move on." And with the exception of Mario Williams, they have consistently kept payroll costs low and definitely control other costs like coaching and FO personnel... that makes the purchase of the team easier.

Yeah, I know, it's a borderline conspiracy theory and it sounds a bit crazy, but is it really that much crazier than "we really are just THAT incompetent"?
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • Historian
    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
    • Dec 2002

Re: I'm convinced we are being Major League'd.....

I think it's a perfect storm of several things:

The scouting department has been terrible since Dwight Adams was squeezed out.
    We haven't had a team in shape since Rusty Jones was let go.
    Ralph Wilson confuses a syncophat with a loyal employee, and quite franlky, is pretty old to be overseeing the day to day.
    Brandon is only good at one thing: Putting lipstick on pigs.

Add to that the most loyal fanbase in all sports, who wants to win so bad, the will believe in almost anybody...and you have a recipe for a permanent bottom feeder. And don't forget Wilson forcing Phillips to sue for his last year's salary, after being wrongfully dismissed. Agree with the firing or not, league rules are quite clear as to what is supposed to happen....the contract is paid off. That one act, I believe, is the reason no top-flight Coach will come here.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
      Skoobasaurus-Rex
      • Oct 2011

The management / coaching staff is about as weak as it gets & Ralph burned all his bridges with anyone of value that would even consider coming to Buffalo. They are so weak that the play calling has Fitz running to the middle of the field to set up a FG, instead of trying to get the several yards needed for a first down.

Comment

• djjimkelly
        • Apr 2003

maybe its being devalued so someone local can afford it

ever thought of that angle if your thinking like this

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by djjimkelly View Post
          maybe its being devalued so someone local can afford it

ever thought of that angle if your thinking like this
          ah yes, the mystery local buyer that's being worked behind the scenes. Someone brings this up every time the moving issue comes up, despite the fact that there is absolutely zero evidence of it actually happening. And how does weakening the Bills' negotiating position with the state and county on the stadium issue help a local buyer anyway?
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
            Making Spirits Bright
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
            ah yes, the mystery local buyer that's being worked behind the scenes. Someone brings this up every time the moving issue comes up, despite the fact that there is absolutely zero evidence of it actually happening. And how does weakening the Bills' negotiating position with the state and county on the stadium issue help a local buyer anyway?
            Is there evidence of ANYONE interested in buying this team? Whether local or otherwise?

Comment

• Jeff1220
              H to the 12:20
              • Jul 2002

I'm pretty convinced that the Bills will be an LA team within the next 5 years.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
                Is there evidence of ANYONE interested in buying this team? Whether local or otherwise?
                There's evidence that Ralph is dying, and his family has been very open about the fact that they don't want to own the team after he passes. So, nature is going to force a change of ownership sooner or later (most likely sooner) regardless if anyone is interested.

The groups building the stadiums in LA have said the Bills are on the list of teams they are targeting.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Bangarang
                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Jeff1220 View Post
                  I'm pretty convinced that the Bills will be an LA team within the next 5 years.
                  They wouldn't be the Bills if that were to happen.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                    • Sep 2003

If they move to LA I can't be a fan anymore. They're not even going to be the Bills. This is Buffalo as in New York State and the only New York team in the league. (Until the Jets and Giants start playing within New York borders they are still New Jersey.) I'd have to change my fanship to some other team because the Bills in LA are just not the Bills anymore. Still, I think the Jaguars are the first team to go out west since they have an anemic fan base and can't sell out any games. Are we being Major League'd? I don't know. Is it the curse of the cemetery at the Ralph? I don't know. All I know is that this team has been run poorly since the last remnants of the Bill Polian era moved on to greener pastures somewhere else a long time ago. If you're going to drop the big dollars then make it on a top notch staff Ralph. You need a savvy GM and a smart motivating coach to get it done.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by DevilPaul View Post
                      If they move to LA I can't be a fan anymore. They're not even going to be the Bills. This is Buffalo as in New York State and the only New York team in the league. (Until the Jets and Giants start playing within New York borders they are still New Jersey.) I'd have to change my fanship to some other team because the Bills in LA are just not the Bills anymore. Still, I think the Jaguars are the first team to go out west since they have an anemic fan base and can't sell out any games. Are we being Major League'd? I don't know. Is it the curse of the cemetery at the Ralph? I don't know. All I know is that this team has been run poorly since the last remnants of the Bill Polian era moved on to greener pastures somewhere else a long time ago. If you're going to drop the big dollars then make it on a top notch staff Ralph. You need a savvy GM and a smart motivating coach to get it done.
                      It all goes back to Ralph. He can't find a competent GM or head coach to save his life. I don't know if it's because he underpays. I don't know if it's because he has a bad reputation for how he treats GM's/coaches. I do know that this team will never win as long as he's in charge, and that we aren't guaranteed to have a team once he's no longer in charge. It's a terrible situation.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • May 2009

This thread is a ****** wearing a bike helmet.

Comment

• ZAZusmc03
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                          It all goes back to Ralph. He can't find a competent GM or head coach to save his life. I don't know if it's because he underpays. I don't know if it's because he has a bad reputation for how he treats GM's/coaches. I do know that this team will never win as long as he's in charge, and that we aren't guaranteed to have a team once he's no longer in charge. It's a terrible situation.
                          Not to mention that although the Jags have a terrible fan base, they lease makes it near impossible for them to move to LA. As much as we all hate to admit it, the situation with the Bills makes them the best and most likely choice to relocate.

Comment

• Jeff1220
                            H to the 12:20
                            • Jul 2002

If the Bills move, I'm just done with NFL football. No new team to follow for me, and life just becomes that much simpler.

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by HurkeyNuts View Post
                              This thread is a ****** wearing a bike helmet.
                              well-reasoned, insightful response. I've come to expect nothing but the best from you.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X