X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

So this Mario guy finally showed up

A little too late after 11 games. But he does look like a complete player - hold up for run stopping, power pass rush, recognize plays on the run. Is it too hard to ask for this kind of effort 16 times a year for what he's paid?

On the other hand, Darius really should be this kind of guy from the inside, maybe more stout in holding up at the POA but less pass rushing shedding. Maybe he has an excuse since he's still learning that effort is as important as talent at NFL.
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: So this Mario guy finally showed up

The D seems to be improving the last few games but the offense is going the other way especially if you take into account the HC is offensive minded.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• The King
      Without me it's just Awe so
      • Jun 2004

It actually looks like Mario was telling the truth about his wrist. He's been a much better player since getting it fixed.
      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
      It was all
      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• streetkings01
        • Jul 2006

The guy has 8.5 sacks on the year and 5 sacks post wrist surgery. Maybe the wrist was a valid excuse.
        You can call me streetkings

Comment

• ThunderGun
          • Dec 2011

Yeah, he's actually tied for 11th in the league with 8.5 sacks, and he's only half a sack out of 7th place. I didn't expect him to be any better after the wrist surgery, but he has totally surprised me.

Comment

• TrEd FTW
            • Sep 2008

The latest football news, analysis, and rankings from PFF. Featuring data-driven rankings and stats for NFL, fantasy football, and the NFL Draft.

The Return of Super Mario?
            Much was made of the three-sack performance from Mario Williams, but the majority of people lauding his return presumably weren’t watching how he got those sacks. On only one of them did he actually beat an offensive lineman, when he took down Andrew Luck with 48 seconds to go in the first quarter. His second sack came when Luck started to move in the pocket and simply ran into the path of the big defensive end, and his third was entirely unblocked as Luck rolled right into him after a play-action fake. In truth, Williams was best in run defense in this game, squeezing the edge and dominating when he was blocked by tight ends. He also batted down a pass, but given that he rushed the passer 40 times this game, the amount of plays on which he actually recorded pressure was far from fantastic. Do not be led by the raw number of three sacks.

Comment

• mysticsoto
              Too sober for this...
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
              The D seems to be improving the last few games but the offense is going the other way especially if you take into account the HC is offensive minded.
              There's only so much you can do w/crap. Fitz is terrible. He limits the playcalling b'cse there is so much he CAN'T do...and even then, he always throws that interception that ends up derailing us and losing the game.

Comment

• DBrown77
                Watching the Bills suck since 1999
                • Mar 2005

Isnt this analysis correct with every player? Not all sacks are from beating a blocker.

Sounds like a hater to me.

Comment

• BLeonard
                  BoB Sabermetrician
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by mysticsoto View Post
                  There's only so much you can do w/crap. Fitz is terrible. He limits the playcalling b'cse there is so much he CAN'T do...and even then, he always throws that interception that ends up derailing us and losing the game.
                  Well, here's an idea... Maybe when you're down by a touchdown in the last few minutes of the 4th quarter, your best offensive player (Spiller) shouldn't be standing on the sidelines watching...

Spiller had 107 yards on 14 carries yesterday (7.6 yard average)... Yet, in crunch time, when his team is down a score, his head coach basically sits him down for the day.

Even when given talented players, Gailey refuses to utilize them.

-Bill

Comment

• The King
                    Without me it's just Awe so
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by DBrown77 View Post
                    Isnt this analysis correct with every player? Not all sacks are from beating a blocker.

My thoughts exactly. No one is saying he's dominant. But when the opportunity is there he's taking it. Fine by me.
                    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                    It was all
                    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• coastal
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Mar 2005

Fools gold.

Lap it up mouth breathers.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                        Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                        • Jun 2005

Coast admit you were wrong already

Comment

• coastal
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by SquishDaFish View Post
                          Coast admit you were wrong already
                          Spending $100 million and what's changed exactly?

Oh that's right... Nothing.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                            Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                            • Jun 2005

Money isnt yours once again. And since his surgery hes been alot better. NOONE is worth that much money but its not his fault it was givin to him. Admit you were wrong and move on. (Guy at work was talking **** to me all season about him and he acc admitted he was wrong today. Hes a much better player post surgery so far.)

Comment

• cookie G
                              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by DBrown77 View Post

No, it isn't. Believe it or not, DE's DO actually beat T's for sacks.

It's been known to happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X