PDA

View Full Version : So this Mario guy finally showed up

ghz in pittsburgh
11-26-2012, 01:33 PM
A little too late after 11 games. But he does look like a complete player - hold up for run stopping, power pass rush, recognize plays on the run. Is it too hard to ask for this kind of effort 16 times a year for what he's paid?

On the other hand, Darius really should be this kind of guy from the inside, maybe more stout in holding up at the POA but less pass rushing shedding. Maybe he has an excuse since he's still learning that effort is as important as talent at NFL.

justasportsfan
11-26-2012, 02:52 PM
The D seems to be improving the last few games but the offense is going the other way especially if you take into account the HC is offensive minded.

The King
11-26-2012, 02:55 PM
It actually looks like Mario was telling the truth about his wrist. He's been a much better player since getting it fixed.

streetkings01
11-26-2012, 02:56 PM
The guy has 8.5 sacks on the year and 5 sacks post wrist surgery. Maybe the wrist was a valid excuse.

ThunderGun
11-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Yeah, he's actually tied for 11th in the league with 8.5 sacks, and he's only half a sack out of 7th place. I didn't expect him to be any better after the wrist surgery, but he has totally surprised me.

TrEd FTW
11-26-2012, 03:05 PM
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/26/refo-bills-colts-week-12/

The Return of Super Mario?
Much was made of the three-sack performance from Mario Williams, but the majority of people lauding his return presumably weren’t watching how he got those sacks. On only one of them did he actually beat an offensive lineman, when he took down Andrew Luck with 48 seconds to go in the first quarter. His second sack came when Luck started to move in the pocket and simply ran into the path of the big defensive end, and his third was entirely unblocked as Luck rolled right into him after a play-action fake. In truth, Williams was best in run defense in this game, squeezing the edge and dominating when he was blocked by tight ends. He also batted down a pass, but given that he rushed the passer 40 times this game, the amount of plays on which he actually recorded pressure was far from fantastic. Do not be led by the raw number of three sacks.

mysticsoto
11-26-2012, 03:14 PM
The D seems to be improving the last few games but the offense is going the other way especially if you take into account the HC is offensive minded.

There's only so much you can do w/crap. Fitz is terrible. He limits the playcalling b'cse there is so much he CAN'T do...and even then, he always throws that interception that ends up derailing us and losing the game.

DBrown77
11-26-2012, 03:18 PM
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/26/refo-bills-colts-week-12/

Isnt this analysis correct with every player? Not all sacks are from beating a blocker.

Sounds like a hater to me.

BLeonard
11-26-2012, 03:23 PM
There's only so much you can do w/crap. Fitz is terrible. He limits the playcalling b'cse there is so much he CAN'T do...and even then, he always throws that interception that ends up derailing us and losing the game.

Well, here's an idea... Maybe when you're down by a touchdown in the last few minutes of the 4th quarter, your best offensive player (Spiller) shouldn't be standing on the sidelines watching...

Spiller had 107 yards on 14 carries yesterday (7.6 yard average)... Yet, in crunch time, when his team is down a score, his head coach basically sits him down for the day.

Even when given talented players, Gailey refuses to utilize them.

-Bill

The King
11-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Isnt this analysis correct with every player? Not all sacks are from beating a blocker.

My thoughts exactly. No one is saying he's dominant. But when the opportunity is there he's taking it. Fine by me.

coastal
11-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Fools gold.

Lap it up mouth breathers.

SquishDaFish
11-26-2012, 03:57 PM
Coast admit you were wrong already

coastal
11-26-2012, 03:59 PM
Coast admit you were wrong already
Spending $100 million and what's changed exactly?

Oh that's right... Nothing.

SquishDaFish
11-26-2012, 04:02 PM
Money isnt yours once again. And since his surgery hes been alot better. NOONE is worth that much money but its not his fault it was givin to him. Admit you were wrong and move on. (Guy at work was talking **** to me all season about him and he acc admitted he was wrong today. Hes a much better player post surgery so far.)

cookie G
11-26-2012, 04:06 PM

No, it isn't. Believe it or not, DE's DO actually beat T's for sacks.

It's been known to happen.

coastal
11-26-2012, 04:15 PM
Money isnt yours once again. And since his surgery hes been alot better. NOONE is worth that much money but its not his fault it was givin to him. Admit you were wrong and move on. (Guy at work was talking **** to me all season about him and he acc admitted he was wrong today. Hes a much better player post surgery so far.)
He's beat a few ****ty tackles on single teams.

big deal.

SquishDaFish
11-26-2012, 04:26 PM
They play in the NFL yes?

coastal
11-26-2012, 04:55 PM
They play in the NFL yes?
So did Mike Williams for a few years.

SquishDaFish
11-26-2012, 05:31 PM
Not for long

Goobylal
11-26-2012, 07:20 PM
Despite the play of the defense this year, the Bills could and should be at least 7-4, if not for Fitz.

ServoBillieves
11-26-2012, 07:31 PM
This team is easily a 360 at 7-4 with a competent DC and a head coach who knows that this is a game of inches.

*****ing about Mario does nothing. He is one player who is now apparently healthy and proving his worth. Giving excuses as to how he gets sacks is nit-picking bull****. Give it up already. So he doesn't have 18 sacks on a team that doesn't have the cognizant capacity to rush more than 4 DOWN LINEMEN! Fitz is the problem, and as almost all of you forget, losing Nelson was/is a huge problem.

stuckincincy
11-26-2012, 07:43 PM
I don't care about his sacks. He's a member of a rag doll defense that's been smacked up for 319 points so far. Third from the bottom.

SpillerThrills
11-26-2012, 07:48 PM

and the stat about him rushing the passer 40 times a game is irrelevant... what does it matter how many plays he's in for? Jarred Allen is in probably just as many plays as Mario and does that mean that Allen gets 40 pressures or sacks a game? of course not. sounds like the writer just needs something to complain about.