Channel 2 news: Ed Kilgore - Change of direction after the season.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BertSquirtgum
    Legendary Zoner
    • May 2009

Channel 2 news: Ed Kilgore - Change of direction after the season.

I was listening to him say that barring some miracle and the Bills winning their next 5 games in a row, that there will be change after the season. Here's a link to a article by him. He came out and said that there will be change of direction on the 6:00 news.

• The Jokeman
    • Dec 2003

Re: Channel 2 news: Ed Kilgore - Change of direction after the season.

I don't get Kilgore's stance on needing to improve our RT. Pears hasn't seen hardly any playing time this year. So to me not as much as need as Ed does.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
      Legendary Zoner
      • May 2009

When pears did play this year he was pretty bad.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
        • Sep 2009

Kilgore's on the money, Pears is a replacement level player, nothing special. Hairston will struggle with any above average end, he's been brutalized by the better ends in the league. We don't need a RT who can't do well against average to below average comp, we need tackles that do well against good competition.

I'll stomach Nix if he cans Chan, and steps away after the 13 draft or season.

Comment

• The Jokeman
          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by HurkeyNuts View Post
          When pears did play this year he was pretty bad.
          Probably because he was nursing his injury. Yet he did play well in 2011. That said I still think our O-line play on the whole is masked in part because of Gailey's quick pass/screen game. As one thing I do give Fitz credit for is he does well at avoiding sacks he just is too streaky and horrible at throwing the long ball.

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
            The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
            • Feb 2005

It's only his gut feeling? Sorry, that means its just wishful tthinking... Nix has already said Chan is staying. Ain't no one getting fired.
            In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
              Legendary Zoner
              • May 2009

Originally posted by Why so Serious? View Post
              It's only his gut feeling? Sorry, that means its just wishful tthinking... Nix has already said Chan is staying. Ain't no one getting fired.
              I'll just copy and paste my reply to a similar comment from the range.

You don't think a long time sports caster has any inside pull on the team he's covered for over 20 years? Kilgore has been close to the Bills for years and generally knows what is going on behind the scenes. I would trust his comments more than those by other sports personalities on TV or radio. I don't think he would come out and say well, I talked to so and so, and the feeling is there's going to be a change of direction after the season.

- - - Updated - - -

Comment

• BLeonard
                BoB Sabermetrician
                • Jan 2003

Barring a miracle, and by that I mean running the table to finish with a winning 9-7 record, my gut now tells me this will be it for Chan Gailey and his coaching staff, most notably defensive coordinator Dave Wannstedt. GM Buddy Nix is safe as long as he wants the job, although Doug Whaley is being groomed to take over sooner rather than later.
                Sorry, don't really put much stock in what Ed Kilgore's gut says...

For the umpteenth time, the only change that REALLY might make a difference would be a change in ownership...

A large plunge in season tiket sales might help, too, but at this stage of Ralph's life, even that might not be enough to get the Front Office to pull their heads out of their collective asses.

Unfortunately, most Bills fans are apparently just happy to have a team and don't have the balls to cancel their seasons, since they believe the whole "Sword of Damocles" theory that has allowed Ralph to put ****ty teams on the field year after year for the better part of half a century.

-Bill

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by BLeonard View Post
                  Sorry, don't really put much stock in what Ed Kilgore's gut says...

For the umpteenth time, the only change that REALLY might make a difference would be a change in ownership...

A large plunge in season tiket sales might help, too, but at this stage of Ralph's life, even that might not be enough to get the Front Office to pull their heads out of their collective asses.

Unfortunately, most Bills fans are apparently just happy to have a team and don't have the balls to cancel their seasons, since they believe the whole "Sword of Damocles" theory that has allowed Ralph to put ****ty teams on the field year after year for the better part of half a century.

-Bill

Comment

• clumping platelets

RT is as much a need as LB or QB

Comment

• BLeonard
                      BoB Sabermetrician
                      • Jan 2003

I'll just copy and paste my reply to a similar comment from the range.

You don't think a long time sports caster has any inside pull on the team he's covered for over 20 years? Kilgore has been close to the Bills for years and generally knows what is going on behind the scenes. I would trust his comments more than those by other sports personalities on TV or radio. I don't think he would come out and say well, I talked to so and so, and the feeling is there's going to be a change of direction after the season.
                      I can't answer for Why So, but I can answer for me... My answer would be, no, I don't.

At this stage with the Bills, I'm in "I'll believe it when I see it" mode... I have to believe, after 13 years or ineptitude, the majority of reasonably minded Bills fans feel the same way.

Even if Ed is right and they do make changes with the coaching staff, the REAL story will be who they get to replace Gailey, Wannstedt, etc... If they don't get coaches that are significant upgrades (and, dare I say, maybe even proven winners at the NFL level) then what good does making a change do? After that, upgrading the talent at certain positions (we all know which ones by now, as it has been discussed ad nauseum) to replace players currently in those positions would be needed. Finally, of course, results on the field need to be seen.

My guess? They stick with Gailey and staff, cut Fitz loose and go with Tavaris Jackson in 2013... IMO, that's the reason he hasn't played... So that they can try to pass him off as "The Guy" next year. If he played this year and sucked, they'd have to actually go out and get someone or draft someone in the first half of the draft. They pulled a similar stunt last year when they insisted that Wannstedt had "no control" over the defense... That was the only way to sell Wannstedt to the fan base this year. I think it's evident that Wannstedt could very well have been in full control of the defense last year... With much more talent than Dick Jauron ever had, they've actualy been record-setting worse than when Jauron was here.

Finally, on Kilgore... If he's got "inside pull," then why isn't he inquiring about what the Bills are doing to keep the team here after Ralph Wilson is gone? Since he's covered the team for over 20 years, as you say, you think he'd have an interest on the future of the team after the current owner is gone.

-Bill

Comment

• BLeonard
                        BoB Sabermetrician
                        • Jan 2003

Yeah, after 13 years of not making the playoffs, I'm the crazy one...

-Bill

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by clumping platelets View Post
                          RT is as much a need as LB or QB
                          No offense, but that's utterly ridiculous. We're top 5 in yards per carry and top 10 in sacks given up. Our RT could stand to be better, but claiming it is on par with LB and QB? C'mon, be serious.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • May 2009

Originally posted by BLeonard View Post
                            I can't answer for Why So, but I can answer for me... My answer would be, no, I don't.

At this stage with the Bills, I'm in "I'll believe it when I see it" mode... I have to believe, after 13 years or ineptitude, the majority of reasonably minded Bills fans feel the same way.

Even if Ed is right and they do make changes with the coaching staff, the REAL story will be who they get to replace Gailey, Wannstedt, etc... If they don't get coaches that are significant upgrades (and, dare I say, maybe even proven winners at the NFL level) then what good does making a change do? After that, upgrading the talent at certain positions (we all know which ones by now, as it has been discussed ad nauseum) to replace players currently in those positions would be needed. Finally, of course, results on the field need to be seen.

My guess? They stick with Gailey and staff, cut Fitz loose and go with Tavaris Jackson in 2013... IMO, that's the reason he hasn't played... So that they can try to pass him off as "The Guy" next year. If he played this year and sucked, they'd have to actually go out and get someone or draft someone in the first half of the draft. They pulled a similar stunt last year when they insisted that Wannstedt had "no control" over the defense... That was the only way to sell Wannstedt to the fan base this year. I think it's evident that Wannstedt could very well have been in full control of the defense last year... With much more talent than Dick Jauron ever had, they've actualy been record-setting worse than when Jauron was here.

Finally, on Kilgore... If he's got "inside pull," then why isn't he inquiring about what the Bills are doing to keep the team here after Ralph Wilson is gone? Since he's covered the team for over 20 years, as you say, you think he'd have an interest on the future of the team after the current owner is gone.

-Bill
                            David Shaw, and maybe you didn't see my link in post #7 which is about Kilgore investigating behind the scenes about the team being kept in Buffalo.
                            Last edited by BertSquirtgum; 11-26-2012, 11:12 PM.

Comment

• Ed
                              Dude
                              • Sep 2002

David Shaw, and maybe you didn't see my link in post #7 which is about Kilgore investigating behind the scenes about the team being kept in Buffalo.
                              Yeah Kilgore actually seems pretty well connected. Here's another link to his actual article about the Bills future after Ralph passes.

I think Kilgore is just referencing his gut because as he said in the article, the last five games matter. He's not going to say that he knows there's going to be changes when the season hasn't even finished playing out. Obviously no final decisions have been made yet, so it's not like he can state anything definitively, but I think if he believes another losing season will bring some changes he probably has good reason to think that.

Comment

Working...
                              X