PDA

View Full Version : Major Leagued Original Argument

Mike
11-27-2012, 03:15 AM
One Poster Referred to this as being 'major leagued' so I will use this title. I am sure I was not the only one mentioning it a few years back.

The decisions made at the Top FO level were awful however the Bills marketing is top notch. Further, until the new CBA the Bills were making more money than 2/3 of the league -partially because cheap payroll and mostly because profit sharing. Now with a salary floor things might change a little.

Anyways, the idea to me seemed like this: The Goal of the Organization was to make MONEY!

1. Pure and simple and the most effective way to do this was to keep costs -payroll- down. Thus poor FO, coaches, players, etc....
2. Most of the revenue was generated via profit sharing and TV rights so winning did not mean loosing money.
3. Further, the Bills employed a great marketing strategy -selling hope- which further added to the bottom line via sell outs.

Should the Team Move: Built In Excuses:
1. If the Bills did not sell out during this time they could use that as an excuse on why they left Western New York
2. If they sell out, they could argue that even this was not enough (They are actually doing this now. This is the argument for why a new stadium needs to be built)

Bills Organization's Real Goals & Long Term Objective:

1. Make as much money as possible before R. Wilson passes away (FYI Business are valued in a number of ways, Cash Flow being the most used. The more a business cash flows the more its worth to a buyer).

2. Limit Long Term Liabilities: Players signed to big contracts could be viewed as a liability by a potential new owner. The exception of course is a top DE, QB, LT. Thus a team will want to use a cap to cash philosophy to minimize long term liabilities or have flexible contracts.

3. Mobility: A team that is Relocatable will be worth a lot more than a team that is tied to a small market via a 20 or 30 year lease.

http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/134157/37/Forbes-Bills-Among-NFLs-Most-Profitable-Teams

-Obviously there are some updates to original argument as there was no new CBA at that time.

Further this is Wild Speculation however when reading this ask yourself: Whats more likely:
1. That Ralph Wilson did everything in his power to make the most amount of money possible and thus increasing the Bills value and price and succeeded.
or
2. That Ralph Wilson did everything in his power to field a winner and to put together a SB team but failed.

jamze132
11-27-2012, 05:38 AM
There is no "major leagued" going on here. It's just plain stupidity and incompetence from the top down. RW might be a real smart business man, but he's not a football man, nor has he made the best decisions when hiring a president of football ops. or a GM. And when he did find success with the front office, he ran them out of town because he wanted **** ran his way, not the football guy's way.

DraftBoy
11-27-2012, 07:08 AM
Why are you creating a whole new thread, instead of just responding to the OP?