X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mjt328
    • May 2011

Starting Over is NOT a bad thing

Although most of us seem to be on board with canning Chan Gailey, I notice a few supporters still lurking out there.
    I think the biggest fear (even Nix talked about this) is once again STARTING OVER.

But the problem isn't that we keep starting over, it's that we keep hiring the wrong people to start with.

The 49ers went through Dennis Erickson, Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary - with none able to get the team over the hump (despite being in the NFL's worst division).
    They hire Jim Harbaugh and BAM... the team is a Super Bowl contender.

If we can get the right people in here, this team will turn around quickly.
    2013 "My Should Have" Draft
    Posted During the 2013 Draft
    1 - (16): Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
    2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
    2 - (46): Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State
    3 - (78): Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
    4 - (105): Barrett Jones, OG, Alabama
    5 - (143): Brandon Jenkins, LB, Florida State
    6 - (177): Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech
    7 - (222): Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee

2013 Buddy Nix Draft
    1 - (16): E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State
    2 - (46): Kiko Alonso, LB, Oregon
    3 - (78): Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas
    4 - (105): Duke Williams, FS, Nevada
    5 - (143): Jonathan Meeks, SS, Clemson
    6 - (177): Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State
    7 - (222): Chris Gragg, TE, Arkansas
  • gebobs
    One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
    • Sep 2003

Re: Starting Over is NOT a bad thing

Originally posted by mjt328 View Post
    And if we don't, it will never happen. Gailey is a sack of shee-ite. Fitz is a heap of cow dung. Fix those two and we are contending for the division. Don't and strap yourself in for a 14th season without playoffs.

We have a running game. We have a semblance of a line. We have a few decent receivers. But none of that means a damned thing if we don't have a quarterback that can throw past the line of scrimmage and a coach that plays to his weaknesses.
    Last edited by gebobs; 11-28-2012, 09:39 AM.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

There are two problems. The first is that people are just burnt out. 13 years and counting with no playoffs. If we start over, then you can forget about next season and quite possibly the season after that too. People want to win now, and after 13 years of sucking, who can blame them?

The second is that people don't have confidence that we will get it right if we start over. This team has pushed the "Reset" button at least 3 times in the last decade and still can't get over the hump. The problems start and end with Ralph.

The reality is that we need to start over, but starting over won't make any difference as long as Ralph is in charge.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

By the time Harbaugh was hired in San Fran, they already had the makings of a GOOD team. Much like when Gruden came to Tampa. When Buddy & Chan were hired, the cupboard was bare. If a new Coach is hired next year, he will have a much better team to work with than Gailey did.

Comment

• mrbojanglezs
          • Jan 2010

The right people don't want this job.

Comment

• tatersalad
            • Apr 2008

patience has been preached for 13 yrs..... But i think we r really close, stay on course.. do we need a QB yes do we need linebackers yes

Comment

• ServoBillieves
              The Voice of Reason
              • Jul 2007

So sick of this... We need a QB, some decent linebackers (coincidentally I see people who were more than happy that Bradham was on the field moaning about it), a competent DC and a play caller that can outsmart armchair quarterbacks. It's so sad that we can all call the blatant draw play on 3rd and long, or the 3 passes in a row, or the bubble screen...

Deal with this year. David Nelson will be back in 2013, Troup will be back, and I would love to have a real HC with Chan as just the OC.
              Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ServoBillieves View Post
                David Nelson will be back in 2013, Troup will be back, and I would love to have a real HC with Chan as just the OC.
                Nelson IMO was the biggest loss to Fitz. Jones just doesn't cut it. It also hurt Chandlers nos. because both he and Nelsonwere Fitz's go to guys
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                  • Sep 2012

Starting over with a new coach is fine by me. Bringing a guy who says "I run the 3-3-5 defense, we need to deal Kyle Williams for a 3rd rounder so we can draft guys who fit the scheme" is not. Our next coach needs to be picked to match the roster or be willing to adapt himself.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

So sick of this... We need a QB, some decent linebackers (coincidentally I see people who were more than happy that Bradham was on the field moaning about it), a competent DC and a play caller that can outsmart armchair quarterbacks. It's so sad that we can all call the blatant draw play on 3rd and long, or the 3 passes in a row, or the bubble screen...

Deal with this year. David Nelson will be back in 2013, Troup will be back, and I would love to have a real HC with Chan as just the OC.
                    Bradham has shown flashes. He's a mid-round rookie so there is still a possibility he could develop. But even if he does, that's one good LB. We need 3 plus depth (although I wouldn't mind Barnett as depth).
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• mjt328
                      • May 2011

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                      There are two problems. The first is that people are just burnt out. 13 years and counting with no playoffs. If we start over, then you can forget about next season and quite possibly the season after that too. People want to win now, and after 13 years of sucking, who can blame them?
                      I don't necessarily believe that.

I believe if the right GM/Coach took over, we could turn it around in one season.
                      If we stay the course, next years is already lost.

There are plenty of pieces in place, but I don't believe Chan/Wannstedt know how to use them.

2013 Buddy Nix Draft

Comment

• X-Era
                        What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by mjt328 View Post
                        Although most of us seem to be on board with canning Chan Gailey, I notice a few supporters still lurking out there.
                        I think the biggest fear (even Nix talked about this) is once again STARTING OVER.

But the problem isn't that we keep starting over, it's that we keep hiring the wrong people to start with.

The 49ers went through Dennis Erickson, Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary - with none able to get the team over the hump (despite being in the NFL's worst division).
                        They hire Jim Harbaugh and BAM... the team is a Super Bowl contender.

So if we get the right people we can start over and be in the playoffs? Yes. I agree that would happen with the right people. But, we never get the right people and aren't able to shop in the same market with the big boys... probably even the 49'ers. We get HC candidates about on par with Gailey.

So if we get Gailey quality, we don't get the "right" people from your standpoint, so what difference will it make to can Gailey?

Again, the problem is we have no capability of getting the type of HC that can quickly make us a playoff team.

We want to plug in new greater values to the variables in this equation to get a new result. We all want that. But the HC values will be the same, which makes the result the same. Your better off playing with values at other variables like coordinators, schemes, and overall talent level.
                        Last edited by X-Era; 11-28-2012, 04:05 PM.

Comment

• mjt328
                          • May 2011

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
                          So if we get the right people we can start over and be in the playoffs? Yes. I agree that would happen with the right people. But, we never get the right people and aren't able to shop in the same market with the big boys... probably even the 49'ers. We get HC candidates about on par with Gailey.

So if we get Gailey quality, we don't get the "right" people from your standpoint, so what difference will it make to can Gailey?

Again, the problem is we have no capability of getting the type of HC that can quickly make us a playoff team.

We want to plug in new greater values to the variables in this equation to get a new result. We all want that. But the HC values will be the same, which makes the result the same. Your better off playing with values at other variables like coordinators, schemes, and overall talent level.
                          Just because the Bills have done a terrible job finding a quality coach over the last decade doesn't mean it isn't possible.
                          Maybe it will just take some more $$$ from Ralph (he was willing to do it for Mario). Maybe it will take some luck.

Some fans assume that nobody wants to come here.
                          Gregg Williams was a very hot coaching prospect when we first hired him. Mike Mularky was also a name frequently thrown around when we nabbed him.
                          We hear rumors that Cowher, Gruden, Shanahan, etc., turned us down. But there has never been proof.
                          I'm sure there are some candidates who have the luxury to be picky and would pass. But there are others who would jump at the chance to coach ANY NFL team.

I just don't see ANY benefit towards keeping a lame duck coach, when we know he isn't the answer.
                          If we keep throwing darts at the wall, eventually something might stick.

2013 Buddy Nix Draft

Comment

• Mike
                            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post

The second is that people don't have confidence that we will get it right if we start over. This team has pushed the "Reset" button at least 3 times in the last decade and still can't get over the hump. The problems start and end with Ralph.

The reality is that we need to start over, but starting over won't make any difference as long as Ralph is in charge.
                            Looking at the Bills over the last 40 years, they have only been a contender once -during the Polian/Levy years. Now if you look at Ralph's behavior over the past 40+ he has generally had this type of ineptitude. Most of his coaching and GM hires throughout his ownership have been questionable. Even when he hired, Polian the fans were up an arms. Here is this no name that has just been giving the keys to the franchise via an internal promotion following a 2-14 season. Levy was no different. A retread coach from a failing KC team...

So what what he difference between then an now? Luck! In the 1980's Bills were able to draft Bruce Smith, and later take Jim Kellly et al... and of course the Bills FO got really lucky in the Polian/Levy were diamonds in the rough. Chances are the Bills wont get lucky again any time soon.
                            Please Make Sense

Comment

• The Jokeman
                              • Dec 2003

Troup? Come on man he's proven nothing. In fact I could see us letting Troup go next year for a low (see Round 5 or 6) draft pick. I agree chan as an OC with another HC would be ideal but it's not going to happen unless it's someone who Chan has all the respect for and the HC has the respect for Chan. Bill Cowher fits that but I don't think he'll ever step out of the booth unless he's thrown a lot of money and on an elite team.

Comment

Working...
                              X