• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cali512
    • Jan 2012

Who Spiller reminds me of

Barry Sanders

And watch this video if you dont believe me

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions
  • kishoph
    • Jun 2003

Re: Who Spiller reminds me of

Most people would and probably will say you're crazy, but I really can't disagree with you, the main thing is we have not seen Spiller's full potential. Their styles are very similar, Sanders was a little thicker, shorter and could bust through defenders, people perceive Spiller as just being an elusive back, but the one thing about Spiller is until just recently (might have regained it) led the league in yards after contact. Spiller is not the little 185 lb fragile scat back that Gailey tries to portray him as, he's 200 lbs (probably closer to 205) and is very muscular up top. He's not gonna bust through a goal line stand, but he's also not going to be brought down by an arm tackle. The one major difference is that Barry Sanders averaged 20 carries per game (5.0 Y/A) for his career, so far Spiller is averaging just 7.4 carries per game (5.5 Y/A). Hopefully soon our "offensive genius" head coach will start to use Spiller, (who may be the most explosive RB in the game) the way he should be used. That is of course unless it's "Fred Jackson's turn to run the ball".

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
      Skoobasaurus-Rex
      • Oct 2011

Unless used correctly, he reminds me of a 200 lbs paperweight. I actually feel sorry for Spiller because his incredible talent is being wasted by a Centuarian that isolated most of the free world's good coaching staffs, leaving us retreads at best.

This tire isn't rolling straight because it rolled too much, mileage showing.

Comment

• Mahdi
        • Mar 2004

Doesn't really remind of Sanders to be honest. Not that Spiller is not capable of being a great RB but just very different styles and different physique. Sanders had massive thighs and would twist out of a lot of tackles and use jukes and misdirection a lot. Spiller is a lot faster and not quite as powerful in the lower body although his juke is also deadly he uses a lot more cuts than Sanders.

I would say Spiller is more like a faster Marshall Faulk.

Comment

• GingerP
          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post
          I would say Spiller is more like a faster Marshall Faulk.
          I agree Faulk is a better comparison that Sanders, as his style/skills are closer to Faulk. I think it especially true when you look at both players being really good in the passing game. Faulk was probably more versatile as a receiver (he ran great routes and probably could have played WR in the NFL), but Spiller is good as well.

One big difference is Faulk proved he can carry the load, but we have no idea if Spiller can because they refuse to allow him to do so. Similar players, though.

Spiller wasn't any faster than Marshall. Faulk ran a 4.28 at the combine, Spiller ran a 4.27. They were both really fast.

Comment

• stuckincincy
            Buffalo Bills Fan
            • Sep 2003

Spiller reminds me of a headliner in a lousy acting troupe working the Borscht Belt.

Incoming! Duck!
            Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
              Peterman Sucks!
              • Mar 2006

Eric Metcalf/Reggie Bush clone.

Comment

• nolimit
                Member of the Official Drew Bledsoe Truce!
                • Aug 2003

When spiller learns to hit the hole harder he will be the best back in the league....his vision has improved but I always see bigger holes from the line that he misses.....little less dance and bigger burst.

Comment

• Historian
                  2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                  • Dec 2002

Terry Miller.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Sanders had a crappy OL.
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• GingerP
                      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                      Terry Miller.
                      Wow, that is a blast from the past. What ever happened to that guy? High draft pick, great rookie year, then nothing. I've never met anyone who could tell me why Miller did nothing after his rookie year. I don't think it was injury.

On a side note, after trading Miller to the Browns the Bills used the 7th round pick they got in return to draft one of the NFL's all-time great kickers in Gary Anderson. Of course, the Bills cut him before the season started. He was picked up by the Steelers and kicked for them the next 12 years.

Comment

• Mahdi
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY! View Post
                        Eric Metcalf/Reggie Bush clone.
                        Really? no. Spiller is nothing like those two. Faster than Metcalf and just more elusive. Stronger than Bush and has better juke as he is lower to the ground.
                        Last edited by Mahdi; 11-29-2012, 10:35 AM.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                          Buffalo Bills Fan
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                          Sanders had a crappy OL.
                          Why should they have blocked for him? Barry didn't exactly go out of his way to toss a block for his team mates. I always thought that that old tv commercial shtick (was it Budweiser?) with "Leon", was modeled after him.
                          Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                            My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                            • Apr 2004

CJ can make excellent cuts and has top notch speed. He can run away from people and that's what he will do. Barry was incredibly skilled at setting up would be tacklers and going the opposite way. The timing of his moves made him look like he could see the future. The stop-and-go, the spin, the jump-back, the shoulder shake.... he had them all and was the greatest RB of all time. Barry was nowhere near the fastest....he didn't have to be.
                            I actually can't think of a RB that CJ reminds me of. He has a pretty unique build, style and skill set. He could be great, but not "Barry" great.
                            Last edited by ParanoidAndroid; 11-29-2012, 06:30 PM. Reason: none

Comment

• Gibby
                              • Jun 2006

Agreed, if Gailey realized just what he had in that kid we would maybe pass 15 to 20 times a game and run the rest of the time. Spiller could be a perennial 2000 yard back. Damn shame we bench him when we get into the redzone.

Comment

Working...
                              X