View Full Version : Who Spiller reminds me of

Cali512
11-29-2012, 01:17 AM
Barry Sanders

And watch this video if you dont believe me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DcHoF0Gjao

kishoph
11-29-2012, 02:52 AM
Most people would and probably will say you're crazy, but I really can't disagree with you, the main thing is we have not seen Spiller's full potential. Their styles are very similar, Sanders was a little thicker, shorter and could bust through defenders, people perceive Spiller as just being an elusive back, but the one thing about Spiller is until just recently (might have regained it) led the league in yards after contact. Spiller is not the little 185 lb fragile scat back that Gailey tries to portray him as, he's 200 lbs (probably closer to 205) and is very muscular up top. He's not gonna bust through a goal line stand, but he's also not going to be brought down by an arm tackle. The one major difference is that Barry Sanders averaged 20 carries per game (5.0 Y/A) for his career, so far Spiller is averaging just 7.4 carries per game (5.5 Y/A). Hopefully soon our "offensive genius" head coach will start to use Spiller, (who may be the most explosive RB in the game) the way he should be used. That is of course unless it's "Fred Jackson's turn to run the ball".

Skooby
11-29-2012, 04:37 AM
Unless used correctly, he reminds me of a 200 lbs paperweight. I actually feel sorry for Spiller because his incredible talent is being wasted by a Centuarian that isolated most of the free world's good coaching staffs, leaving us retreads at best.

This tire isn't rolling straight because it rolled too much, mileage showing.

Mahdi
11-29-2012, 06:40 AM
Doesn't really remind of Sanders to be honest. Not that Spiller is not capable of being a great RB but just very different styles and different physique. Sanders had massive thighs and would twist out of a lot of tackles and use jukes and misdirection a lot. Spiller is a lot faster and not quite as powerful in the lower body although his juke is also deadly he uses a lot more cuts than Sanders.

I would say Spiller is more like a faster Marshall Faulk.

GingerP
11-29-2012, 07:45 AM

I agree Faulk is a better comparison that Sanders, as his style/skills are closer to Faulk. I think it especially true when you look at both players being really good in the passing game. Faulk was probably more versatile as a receiver (he ran great routes and probably could have played WR in the NFL), but Spiller is good as well.

One big difference is Faulk proved he can carry the load, but we have no idea if Spiller can because they refuse to allow him to do so. Similar players, though.

Spiller wasn't any faster than Marshall. Faulk ran a 4.28 at the combine, Spiller ran a 4.27. They were both really fast.

stuckincincy
11-29-2012, 08:18 AM
Spiller reminds me of a headliner in a lousy acting troupe working the Borscht Belt.

Incoming! Duck! :kid:

Mr. Pink
11-29-2012, 09:26 AM
Eric Metcalf/Reggie Bush clone.

nolimit
11-29-2012, 09:54 AM
When spiller learns to hit the hole harder he will be the best back in the league....his vision has improved but I always see bigger holes from the line that he misses.....little less dance and bigger burst.

Historian
11-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Terry Miller.

justasportsfan
11-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Sanders had a crappy OL.

GingerP
11-29-2012, 10:24 AM
Terry Miller.

Wow, that is a blast from the past. What ever happened to that guy? High draft pick, great rookie year, then nothing. I've never met anyone who could tell me why Miller did nothing after his rookie year. I don't think it was injury.

On a side note, after trading Miller to the Browns the Bills used the 7th round pick they got in return to draft one of the NFL's all-time great kickers in Gary Anderson. Of course, the Bills cut him before the season started. He was picked up by the Steelers and kicked for them the next 12 years.

Mahdi
11-29-2012, 10:33 AM
Eric Metcalf/Reggie Bush clone.

Really? no. Spiller is nothing like those two. Faster than Metcalf and just more elusive. Stronger than Bush and has better juke as he is lower to the ground.

stuckincincy
11-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Sanders had a crappy OL.

Why should they have blocked for him? Barry didn't exactly go out of his way to toss a block for his team mates. I always thought that that old tv commercial shtick (was it Budweiser?) with "Leon", was modeled after him.

ParanoidAndroid
11-29-2012, 06:29 PM
CJ can make excellent cuts and has top notch speed. He can run away from people and that's what he will do. Barry was incredibly skilled at setting up would be tacklers and going the opposite way. The timing of his moves made him look like he could see the future. The stop-and-go, the spin, the jump-back, the shoulder shake.... he had them all and was the greatest RB of all time. Barry was nowhere near the fastest....he didn't have to be.
I actually can't think of a RB that CJ reminds me of. He has a pretty unique build, style and skill set. He could be great, but not "Barry" great.

Generalissimus Gibby
11-29-2012, 08:01 PM
Agreed, if Gailey realized just what he had in that kid we would maybe pass 15 to 20 times a game and run the rest of the time. Spiller could be a perennial 2000 yard back. Damn shame we bench him when we get into the redzone.

X-Era
11-29-2012, 08:36 PM
Considering C.J. would be at 1400+ yards right now if he had as many carries as Adrian Peterson (213) and leading the league in yards, I'd say we have one the best RB's in the league right now.

But the fact that he does lead the league in yards per carry (6.7) even with the lower number of attempts (123) and is second in the league only to Peterson in number of rushes over 20 yards (10) I'd say he's a home run hitter.

Faulk may be close. I can't say Sanders because Sanders was shorter and squat-tier which allowed him to have unique change of direction. Chris Johnson also seems similar (in a good way).

Another year, a full season of starting, and similar results and he will be a star in this league.

I love the pick then and still love it now.

BidsJr
11-29-2012, 09:58 PM
LOL at the Sanders comparisons. Not even close. CJ is a faster, less elusive and easier to bring down Marshall Faulk. Not to diminsh what he is..... He should be carrying the rock until he shatters. He is a really good RB.

Mike
12-03-2012, 02:18 AM
CJ reminds me of the other CJ (the artist formally known as CJ2k)
I think he has that same 2k potential. He is a very fast back. One cut, one move, one decent sized hole, and he is gone.

Night Train
12-03-2012, 04:38 AM
Wow, that is a blast from the past. What ever happened to that guy? High draft pick, great rookie year, then nothing. I've never met anyone who could tell me why Miller did nothing after his rookie year. I don't think it was injury.

On a side note, after trading Miller to the Browns the Bills used the 7th round pick they got in return to draft one of the NFL's all-time great kickers in Gary Anderson. Of course, the Bills cut him before the season started. He was picked up by the Steelers and kicked for them the next 12 years.

Miller was pretty smart in Finance and was being offered a VP position in an investment firm/bank in Oklahoma. He lost his desire to play football by his 2nd NFL season ( showed up to camp very fat ) and was soon replaced by 2nd round pick Joe Cribbs.

GingerP
12-03-2012, 07:28 AM
Miller was pretty smart in Finance and was being offered a VP position in an investment firm/bank in Oklahoma. He lost his desire to play football by his 2nd NFL season ( showed up to camp very fat ) and was soon replaced by 2nd round pick Joe Cribbs.

Thanks. Guy had real talent, but can't blame him if he wanted to do something else.

TigerJ
12-03-2012, 01:20 PM
Doesn't really remind of Sanders to be honest. Not that Spiller is not capable of being a great RB but just very different styles and different physique. Sanders had massive thighs and would twist out of a lot of tackles and use jukes and misdirection a lot. Spiller is a lot faster and not quite as powerful in the lower body although his juke is also deadly he uses a lot more cuts than Sanders.

I agree, kindof. Sanders was shorter, and while he was fast, he wasn't Spiller/Chris Johnson fast. Thus he had to do a lot more dancing. Spiller is elusive, but once he gets in the clear he can turn on the afterburners and he's gone. While Spiller is hardly what one would call a big back, he's still bigger than a lot of people realize.

stuckincincy
12-03-2012, 01:36 PM
I agree, kindof. Sanders was shorter, and while he was fast, he wasn't Spiller/Chris Johnson fast. Thus he had to do a lot more dancing. Spiller is elusive, but once he gets in the clear he can turn on the afterburners and he's gone. While Spiller is hardly what one would call a big back, he's still bigger than a lot of people realize.

Unfortunately, he seems to only come up really big against troubled clubs with losing records. AFAIK, he had put up poor to good yards against winning clubs, but wasn't the so-called game changer.

Mr. Pink
12-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Really? no. Spiller is nothing like those two. Faster than Metcalf and just more elusive. Stronger than Bush and has better juke as he is lower to the ground.

Comparing Spiller to Metcalf is a compliment. Check the moves at :34 in this video and you tell me how many guys score on that play, including Spiller. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTcL2Lg0RcU

You obviously never saw Metcalf play. Either that or you're biased because Spiller wears the colors.

YardRat
12-03-2012, 07:31 PM
Oh, hell no.

bf1
12-03-2012, 08:39 PM
I like the Sanders comparison in that CJ will take some losses. But keeps doing his thing.

JoeMama
12-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Chan Gailey has got to be the stupidest piece of **** in the NFL.

Why would you draft a guy #9 overall if you don't intend to use him correctly?

2013 can't get here quick enough.

Chan Gailey is far and away the worst coach we've ever had.

Seriously.