Would you want Alex Smith at QB next year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ed
    Dude
    • Sep 2002

Would you want Alex Smith at QB next year?

With Kaepernick being named the starter again for the 9ers game this Sunday, I'm assuming that Alex Smith's days could be numbered in San Fran. He's currently signed for two more years, but the team owes him a big bonus of $7.5 mil if he's still on the team come April 1, 2013. I read some speculation that one of the reasons they may have been able to get a big extension done with their LB Bowman this past week is because they don't expect to pay Alex that bonus or his base salary. I think his base salary for the next two seasons is around $10 mil per year, so I doubt they would be willing to pay him that as a backup.

Assuming they cut him, would you want the Bills to pursue him? Could he be the answer at QB?

And if they don't cut him, would you be willing to trade for him? How much would you give up?
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

Re: Would you want Alex Smith at QB next year?

Originally posted by Ed View Post
    With Kaepernick being named the starter again for the 9ers game this Sunday, I'm assuming that Alex Smith's days could be numbered in San Fran. He's currently signed for two more years, but the team owes him a big bonus of $7.5 mil if he's still on the team come April 1, 2013. I read some speculation that one of the reasons they may have been able to get a big extension done with their LB Bowman this past week is because they don't expect to pay Alex that bonus or his base salary. I think his base salary for the next two seasons is around $10 mil per year, so I doubt they would be willing to pay him that as a backup.

Assuming they cut him, would you want the Bills to pursue him? Could he be the answer at QB?

And if they don't cut him, would you be willing to trade for him? How much would you give up?
    Eh. He's a 9 year vet who paddled around in iffy fashion who now has a couple of good years on a team with a good defense. It's looking like SF is closing the door on him - dunno.
    Last edited by stuckincincy; 11-29-2012, 01:23 PM.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• GingerP
      • Aug 2012

The reason Smith is being replaced is because Kaepernick throws the ball downfield. Smith is pretty athletic and very safe with the ball, not making a lot of mistakes, but he misses a lot of plays because he won't take chances. When forced into situations where he has to do more than check down, he struggles. He can't throw into tight windows like good QBs can, so he just checks down to the safe route or takes the sack.

So, no, he isn't the answer to anything. Without having one of the best defenses in football to allow him to play within his limitations, he will go back to sucking like he did before Harbaugh got there. He'd be exposed.
      Last edited by GingerP; 11-29-2012, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• MidnightVoice
        Retired (mostly)
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by GingerP View Post
        Without having one of the best defenses in football to allow him to play within his limitations, he will go back to sucking like he did before Harbaugh got there. He'd be exposed.
        Agreed

But to play
        that’s the thing
        shut up and deal
        ~ Jesse May

Comment

• IAG
          • Jan 2005

I honestly do not know what to do at QB. I really don't. Some teams have a franchise guy. Others have young QB's playing beyond their years. Other teams have a young developing guys.

Buffalo is in no man's land. The FA options are not longterm answers or that much better than Fitz. The college QB's are below what we have seen the last few years.

I have no idea what to do.

Comment

• BuffaloWingEater
            • Aug 2012

That's easy; no.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
              • Sep 2012

As the short term starter while we groom 1st rounder to be named later: Sure. But he's not the answer.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

He's actually an ideal fit for the Gailey offense, though same issues we have with Fitz exist with Smith, lack of down the field arm strength.
                COMING SOON...
                Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• MidnightVoice
                  Retired (mostly)
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                  He's actually an ideal fit for the Gailey offense, though same issues we have with Fitz exist with Smith, lack of down the field arm strength.
                  And with him at QB, Gailey might well decide to abandon the run altogether!

But to play
                  that’s the thing
                  shut up and deal
                  ~ Jesse May

Comment

• Jeff1220
                    H to the 12:20
                    • Jul 2002

So, like Fitz, he hasn't got much arm strength, but how's his accuracy?

Comment

• Ed
                      Dude
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Jeff1220 View Post
                      So, like Fitz, he hasn't got much arm strength, but how's his accuracy?
                      Well he leads the league in completion % at 70.0 and his yards per attempt is actually pretty high at 7.98. That actually ties him for third highest in the league, so I'm not sure what to make of the notion that he can't throw down field.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                        Well he leads the league in completion % at 70.0 and his yards per attempt is actually pretty high at 7.98. That actually ties him for third highest in the league, so I'm not sure what to make of the notion that he can't throw down field.
                        Let's recalculate his stats without the Buffalo game and see how they look.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                          Peterman Sucks!
                          • Mar 2006

If Alex was the only choice we had, yes. He's much better than Fitz, not that that is saying really anything.

Hopefully we have a few more choices.

The goal is to always improve your football team, which Alex would do.

Comment

• Buffalogic
                            Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                            • Feb 2006

Hell no!

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                              Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                              • Jun 2005

Yep for sure

Comment

Working...
                              X