PDA

View Full Version : Eric Wood done for the year

kingJofNYC
12-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Word is that his knee was in bad shape after the game, probably another season ending injury.

Hairston was hurt as well.

Ed
12-02-2012, 04:45 PM
Damn this guy has the worst luck. I was just thinking yesterday that it's been nice to see Wood playing well and staying healthy this year.

coastal
12-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Whatever... Sick of him getting these injuries.

ServoBillieves
12-02-2012, 05:04 PM
So... you know this or it's speculation

mrbojanglezs
12-02-2012, 05:04 PM
I love eric but I am worried about these injuries, not sure I would resign him unless it was equal or below average center salary

Mr. Pink
12-02-2012, 05:06 PM
Awesome, Eric Wood is either made of glass or plastic.

kingJofNYC
12-02-2012, 05:10 PM
So... you know this or it's speculation

Gailey wouldn't comment, but the beat writers made it sound like he was done. There's only 4 games remaining and he won't be playing this week, so that leaves 3 games. Saying he's done isn't much of a stretch. Extent is another question, but grim is the word being used to describe Wood's demeanor.

Scumbag College
12-02-2012, 05:12 PM
He's the Roscoe Parrish of offensive lineman.

coastal
12-02-2012, 05:25 PM
We have turn styles at RT, Urbik and and Levitre without contracts and Wood with another year-ending injury.

yeah... I'm panicked going into the off-season.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Yeah, it's really sad when you have a player who can't develop because he doesn't stay healthy. I like the guy a lot, but Center is rapidly becoming a need.

coastal
12-02-2012, 05:32 PM
Yeah, it's really sad when you have a player who can't develop because he doesn't stay healthy. I like the guy a lot, but Center is rapidly becoming a need.
Unless we resign Urbik and Levitre, 4 out of 5 o-line spots are a need.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-02-2012, 05:34 PM
Unless we resign Urbik and Levitre, 4 out of 5 o-line spots are a need.

I don't know that Urbik will be in a ton of demand, and Levitre should be our highest priority, so I'm hoping we can get both deals done. If Nix lets the only solid unit he's build get taken apart then I will spraypaint a penis on his lawn.

kingJofNYC
12-02-2012, 06:00 PM
Some good guard depth in this draft, Cooper/Thomas/Warmack and Warmack's played center in practices, may be versatile enough to make the switch like Mike Pouncey.

BuffaloWingEater
12-02-2012, 06:04 PM
unreal. now we can watch snaps veer to the right.

BertSquirtgum
12-02-2012, 06:47 PM
Gailey wouldn't comment, but the beat writers made it sound like he was done. There's only 4 games remaining and he won't be playing this week, so that leaves 3 games. Saying he's done isn't much of a stretch. Extent is another question, but grim is the word being used to describe Wood's demeanor.

Guys on the Bills after the game show said they were optimistic that hairston and wood would be back next week.

X-Era
12-02-2012, 07:15 PM
Some good guard depth in this draft, Cooper/Thomas/Warmack and Warmack's played center in practices, may be versatile enough to make the switch like Mike Pouncey.
You want to spend our 1st rounder on a Guard who will likely be depth?

I'd rather address other positions first.

YardRat
12-02-2012, 07:18 PM
Hopefully the prognosis becomes better after a couple of days.

Whether it does or not, the interior line (especially center) should be a higher priority this season than it was last.

kingJofNYC
12-02-2012, 07:30 PM
You want to spend our 1st rounder on a Guard who will likely be depth?

I'd rather address other positions first.

Depth? Urbik, Rinehart, and Levitre are all free agents. You think they're going to tie up that much money at the guard position? As is, we have no depth, it's too early to make a judgement, you're under the assumption that they'll resign two of the three. Maybe they do, maybe they don't, who knows. All I'm saying is that it's a good guard class.

Warmack has a chance to be a really good player.

ParanoidAndroid
12-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Urbik could be resigned for an average guard salary, but Levitre is going to have to be somewhere around the 90th percentile at the least. Rinehart is a backup and will be offered back-up money. I think after Levitre is resigned the other two will be no problem.

Generalissimus Gibby
12-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Awesome, Eric Wood is either made of glass or plastic.

close, but we were looking for paper, paper.

TigerJ
12-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Whatever... Sick of him getting these injuries.I imagine he's getting rather sick of it too.

Buffalogic
12-02-2012, 11:17 PM
Man he hates playing the jags, he blew up his leg in that horrible clip down in jacksonville two seasons back

BertSquirtgum
12-03-2012, 01:48 PM
News today is that he has a partially torn mcl ligament. Time to look for a new center. Seems he can't stay healthy for a whole year.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/12/3/3723284/eric-wood-injury-buffalo-bills-partially-torn-mcl

Slim
12-03-2012, 01:56 PM
News today is that he has a partially torn mcl ligament. Time to look for a new center. Seems he can't stay healthy for a whole year.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/12/3/3723284/eric-wood-injury-buffalo-bills-partially-torn-mcl

He just somehow needs to learn to now get rolled up on as often.

trapezeus
12-03-2012, 03:28 PM
alabama center is really versatile based on the saturday game discussion. played right side his sophmore year and won a championship, won last year on right side, and won championship, and this year he is the center and going to championship.

i like wood though. i think once he moved ot center the line play just improved a ton. a center is important especially in these spread offenses where the line doesn't get much help from a real TE.

his injuries are a concern, but he's good when he's playing.

BertSquirtgum
12-03-2012, 09:57 PM
http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?443194-Eric-Wood-quot-It-is-unbelievable-quot

MikeInRoch
12-04-2012, 07:56 AM
His injuries would be a concern if it weren't for their freakish nature. There's nothing that could have been done about the injuries he's taken, and it wouldn't have mattered who was in there - they would have been injured as well.

Extremebillsfan247
12-04-2012, 09:53 AM
Damn this guy has the worst luck. I was just thinking yesterday that it's been nice to see Wood playing well and staying healthy this year.

He needs to quit stealing Jo Boo's rum. http://britsandbaseball.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/joboo.jpg :roflmao:

Ed
12-04-2012, 10:01 AM
I was listening to Mike and Mike this morning and they had John Clayton on who brought up an interesting fact. He mentioned how it looks like Eric Wood will be done for the season, which means about a 3rd of the starting Centers in the league have suffered season ending injuries this year. He was asking Mangini if he thought there was anything about the position that makes you more vulnerable to injuries, but Mangini wasn't really sure.

It's not really fair to say an O-lineman is made of glass when you consider what they go through. They have to carry a lot of weight and put a ton of pressure and strain on their joints having to drive through blocks and move in every direction. When other guys crash into their legs, there's not really a lot they can do to protect themselves. Most of the time they don't even see it coming. Tough position. It's more surprising that guys like Levitre can get through multiple seasons without ever getting hurt. That's probably somewhat rare. I don't think we have another lineman on the team that hasn't missed games due to injuries over the past couple years.

stuckincincy
12-04-2012, 10:20 AM
I was listening to Mike and Mike this morning and they had John Clayton on who brought up an interesting fact. He mentioned how it looks like Eric Wood will be done for the season, which means about a 3rd of the starting Centers in the league have suffered season ending injuries this year. He was asking Mangini if he thought there was anything about the position that makes you more vulnerable to injuries, but Mangini wasn't really sure.

It's not really fair to say an O-lineman is made of glass when you consider what they go through. They have to carry a lot of weight and put a ton of pressure and strain on their joints having to drive through blocks and move in every direction. When other guys crash into their legs, there's not really a lot they can do to protect themselves. Most of the time they don't even see it coming. Tough position. It's more surprising that guys like Levitre can get through multiple seasons without ever getting hurt. That's probably somewhat rare. I don't think we have another lineman on the team that hasn't missed games due to injuries over the past couple years.

FWIW, 10 year vet Jeff Faine may become available. He was a quick signing in the PS when CIN's starter Cook went on the recallable IR list. Faine got a sore knee or some such after game 9, and was replaced by rookie Trevor Robinson - who has been a pleasant surprise for them. Cook's back, on that 3 game thing.

Faine did as well as expected. He picked up the line call duties, and was true to form - good in pass protection, not much in the run game. If CIN cuts him, BUF might consider picking him up as insurance as long as the playoff possibilities remain. Subject to health, of course.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-04-2012, 11:27 AM

Probably because you have to have one hand between your legs at the start, so you have to get your other one up in time to be smashed by (usually) the strongest player on the field. That'd be one of my guesses.

It's a damned tough job.

imbondz
12-04-2012, 12:24 PM
this injury is depressing

Ed
12-04-2012, 12:46 PM
this injury is depressing
It could have been a lot worse. At least he's not going to have to go through months of rehab and be limited through the whole offseason.

coastal
12-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Partially torn MCL might not even require surgery.

his year is done... But we have him next year!

The Jokeman
12-04-2012, 10:31 PM
Partially torn MCL might not even require surgery.

his year is done... But we have him next year!

Hopefully we can find a veteran backup this offseason to back him just incase he gets injured again in 2013.