PDA

View Full Version : I hope Philip Rivers is not our QB next year

Ed
12-02-2012, 06:25 PM
That's all I can think whenever I see this guy play.

Mr. Pink
12-02-2012, 06:26 PM
He did a good job today fumbling and then throwing the game away.

In typical Rivers fashion.

djjimkelly
12-02-2012, 06:33 PM
i watch him a fair bit and he has zero protection.

give that man a decent o line hes elite

kingJofNYC
12-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Dude is done, arm strength keeps getting worse.

How about Alexander? Dude is essentially their number one wideout, at least the Bills brought him in for a workout!

Typ0
12-02-2012, 06:41 PM
Rivers would fit right in here.

coastal
12-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Drew Bledsoe of the west coast.

JoeMama
12-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Philip Rivers can be salvaged with the right coaching.

If you look at the numbers he put up between 2008 and 2010, a lot of writers (at the time) made the case Rivers was the best pure passer in the league.

But when you take away a guy's weapons and don't replace any of them, don't be surprised if the results suck.

Vincent Jackson, gone. LaDainian Tomlinson, gone. Darren Sproles, gone. Vincent Brown, injured all year. Marcus McNeil, gone. Ryan Matthews, a bust. Antonio Gates, washed up.

And Rivers also has the distinct honor of playing for the worst head coach in the league. Norv Turner took a SB caliber team and reduced it to rubble in 3 short years.

However, even though I like Rivers and think he can be fixed, it won't happen here in Buffalo. Gailey is second worst, only after Turner. And we all know Buddy Nix will hire some other loser even if he has the guts to ****can Gailey.

YardRat
12-02-2012, 07:20 PM
No thanks. Rivers legacy, and future, as a loser is fairly well cemented.

Mr. Pink
12-02-2012, 07:25 PM
No thanks. Rivers legacy, and future, as a loser is fairly well cemented.

I think he's held back by Turner and Turner's offensive philosophies however Gailey's offensive philosophies aren't any better.

IAG
12-02-2012, 07:35 PM
He will not be available.

BertSquirtgum
12-02-2012, 07:38 PM
Phil Rivers sucks.

Generalissimus Gibby
12-02-2012, 07:45 PM
I do not need the reappearance of Drew Bledsoe

colin
12-02-2012, 07:55 PM
he's been good before, and he might be the best available.

i like wilson from the razorbacks, but if we can't get our guy in the draft (and go CB or MLB instead, which wouldn't be the worst thing ever) then i'd jump to sign rivers.

even if we kept wanstache and chan't, we'd be a much better team with some continuity and rivers.

he'd easily be the 2nd best qb in our division, and our spread attack with the great backs would look good with him, as he gets rid of the ball quickly and accurately.

i honestly think we are qb away, now that our d is playing like they should.

Mike
12-02-2012, 11:58 PM
Norv Turner is just awful. One of the worst coaches in NFL history perhaps.

Rivers could be the next Rich Gannon all he needs is the next Chucky!

Night Train
12-03-2012, 06:38 AM
It will never happen, much like Chan becoming Mayor of Buffalo.

Mahdi
12-03-2012, 06:57 AM
Rivers is an elite QB. His OL and WRs have been in flux for a long time. When he had McNeil at LT and Vincent Jackson he was top 5. AJ Smith destroyed the Chargers with his pride.

trapezeus
12-03-2012, 07:45 AM
Philip Rivers can be salvaged with the right coaching.

If you look at the numbers he put up between 2008 and 2010, a lot of writers (at the time) made the case Rivers was the best pure passer in the league.

But when you take away a guy's weapons and don't replace any of them, don't be surprised if the results suck.

Vincent Jackson, gone. LaDainian Tomlinson, gone. Darren Sproles, gone. Vincent Brown, injured all year. Marcus McNeil, gone. Ryan Matthews, a bust. Antonio Gates, washed up.

And Rivers also has the distinct honor of playing for the worst head coach in the league. Norv Turner took a SB caliber team and reduced it to rubble in 3 short years.

However, even though I like Rivers and think he can be fixed, it won't happen here in Buffalo. Gailey is second worst, only after Turner. And we all know Buddy Nix will hire some other loser even if he has the guts to ****can Gailey.

yet tom brady is the only guy who is able to watch all the talent go away and keep performing. wonder if you need more examples of him and his team being a cheater.

i'm no rivers guy, but its odd that a very good qb drafted in the first round can't win without any offensive weapons, but a 6th rounder with limited arm strength keeps winning.

Mahdi
12-03-2012, 08:20 AM
yet tom brady is the only guy who is able to watch all the talent go away and keep performing. wonder if you need more examples of him and his team being a cheater.

i'm no rivers guy, but its odd that a very good qb drafted in the first round can't win without any offensive weapons, but a 6th rounder with limited arm strength keeps winning.

First of all, Brady is Brady. No point comparing anyone to him.

Second, Brady has Gronk, Welker, Hernandez. Both Gronk and Hernandez are top 5 TEs. Welker is the best slot receiver in football. Also have Lloyd.

Brady also has a top notch OL. Rivers barely has time to set his feet.

justasportsfan
12-03-2012, 08:30 AM
I'd take Rivers over Fitz but it wont happen because Chan thinks it takes time to learn his system.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-03-2012, 08:47 AM
he's been good before, and he might be the best available.

i like wilson from the razorbacks, but if we can't get our guy in the draft (and go CB or MLB instead, which wouldn't be the worst thing ever) then i'd jump to sign rivers.

Rivers is not going to be a free agent, he's under contract for three more years. But they are expensive years, so there's speculation that he might be available in a trade. I honestly don't think he'd be on the trade block even if Norv gets fired.

stuckincincy
12-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Rivers is not going to be a free agent, he's under contract for three more years. But they are expensive years, so there's speculation that he might be available in a trade. I honestly don't think he'd be on the trade block even if Norv gets fired.

Me either. IMO, Rivers is still a very good starting QB.

trapezeus
12-03-2012, 03:38 PM
First of all, Brady is Brady. No point comparing anyone to him.

Second, Brady has Gronk, Welker, Hernandez. Both Gronk and Hernandez are top 5 TEs. Welker is the best slot receiver in football. Also have Lloyd.

Brady also has a top notch OL. Rivers barely has time to set his feet.

top notch OL? routinely this year and last they were knocked for having a crap line.

all i'm saying is that it's ridiculous that a highly touted QB would struggle when his team is gutted and brady rarely does. he's got just a bunch of inside options. no long threat since moss left, and he's just as productive.

i realize this is not what thread is about. but since reading the spygate book, it's so absurd that people dismiss how odd it is for brady to be an outlier when prior to the draft and the cheating, he struggled to hold on to the starting job in michigan.

i never really liked rivers. he's a whiner. you need a guy in a leadership position who will take the criticism, even if undeserved, and work it to their advantage. he isn't a gracious winner and as a result, he loses like a petulant child. i get that he has 99 reasons to hate his situation, but you do have to be a pro about it.

on a bills team that routinely folds when adversity strikes, i don't see that kind of attitude as being an upgrade to mental health of our current team. but ther eis part of me that says, he would have a better running game here than in SD, a better set of receivers (hard to conclusively say that as the passing is so bad this year), if nelson comes back healthy he'd have a gates like option with more speed, and a line that pass blocks adequately. it would be interesting to see a playoff qb get the keys to this team.

Mike
12-03-2012, 04:02 PM

He is due $15Mil next year so.... if the Chargers trade or release him they wont have to pony up the cash. However this will not be the sole determinant. If the current coaching staff and FO stay in place so will Rivers. If there are changes in SD in FO and Coaching than the next Coach/FO will determine his future.

TrEd FTW
12-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Rivers would be a lot better off with the Bills because their offensive supporting cast is far superior to San Diego's. The Chargers have a bad O-line, a below-average running game and no huge threats in the passing game (Gates isn't great anymore). The Bills are good up front, superb at running the ball, and Johnson is a much better receiver than anyone San Diego has.