• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

BUF needs to upgrade DT depth

With the years and years of rule changes favoring the pass game, consistent interior pressure is a must. The 5 yd. chuck rule releases WR, TE for short/middle patterns, and qbs are hitting them quickly.

DE/LB sacks and pressure are nice, but that also carries the risk of run gains. My feeling is that the number of DB blitzes have been declining in recent years, too.

Pushing the pocket back, hands up in the qbs' line of site, matters. Hurrying the qb, reducing his time to scan the field, matters.

See CIN@SD. Peko and Atkins forced SD into playing max protect for most of the game. Of his 48 passes, 8 were to TEs, 18 to RBs. But he only had 13 completions to those ostensibly safer options. SD's WRs aren't the spiffiest, but neither is CIN's secondary. Rivers didn't have much time - they weren't able to go deep.

BTW, SD play calling was poor. IMO. If you choose or are forced to max OL protect, run a bit. SD called 9 runs...

So - BUF should address the DT position. I'm not saying with a #1. CIN drafted DTs in last year's 2nd and 3rd rounds to keep the larder stocked. You never know how a draftee will turn out, but I think BUF would do good to get prospect in the 3rd of 4th. And invite in a bunch of UDFAs. If Dareus/Williams get hurt, there's not much on the bench that have shown to be reliable.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: BUF needs to upgrade DT depth

they will address it by bringing Troupe back. I would rather bring in more lb'ers
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• stuckincincy
      Buffalo Bills Fan
      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
      they will address it by bringing Troupe back. I would rather bring in more lb'ers
      I forget - didn't Troupe have back problems or some such?

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
        I forget - didn't Troupe have back problems or some such?
        yup. Took the year off to rehab
        torell troup ‏
        310 today. Probably drop to 305 and put it back on slowly in the weight room to be 315-320 during camp. No reason to be 320 all year.
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• kingJofNYC
          • Sep 2009

Troup's back is a mess, never good for a player, especially a DT.

Comment

• stuckincincy
            Buffalo Bills Fan
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by kingJofNYC View Post
            Troup's back is a mess, never good for a player, especially a DT.
            That's what I thought. Gotta have some decent depth these days.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
              The Voice of Reason
              • Jul 2007

Who is Troupe? Torell Troup on the other hand has shown promise as a reserve so hope he's back.
              Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Ive been saying this for years, people don't care. They want to believe our depth is average to good, when in truth its quite poor. The response then is "well you can't have a pro bowler at every roster spot" so instead we settle for ****.
                COMING SOON...
                Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• stuckincincy
                  Buffalo Bills Fan
                  • Sep 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                  Ive been saying this for years, people don't care. They want to believe our depth is average to good, when in truth its quite poor. The response then is "well you can't have a pro bowler at every roster spot" so instead we settle for ****.
                  You're not alone in saying that, DB. BUF's been so for years. It's hard to understand...football is a very old sport - a 4 act play played over and over millions of times, I like to say.

Why BUF - and other clubs - don't build a bench is a mystery that can only be answered by saying that some ownership simply doesn't care about winning, and care more how the balance sheet looks. That's been the case for decades as the NFL ascended. Sad.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                    • Sep 2009

I'm with you guys, in fact I would like a DE as welwhining have much depth there either. This draft is DL heavy so hopefully they add a DL player in the first or second round

Comment

• TigerJ
                      • Jul 2002

What a sense of timing, stuck! Alex Carrington comes out of the Jacksonville game with a career game, and you post that we need better depth at his position. Honestly, I'm with some others in that I think there are other positions where the need is considerably more accute. As I understand it, Troup's problem this season was that he just needed more time to recoup and rehab from his back surgery. I didn't hear anything from Troup or from the team that suggested that he wouldn't make a complete recovery. Of course, until he get's on the field and plays full tilt we're not going to really know if he can or not. I think he's probably had enough time that the team at least has some idea of his long term prognosis at this point, but they're not saying.
                      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• jimmifli
                        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by TigerJ View Post
                        What a sense of timing, stuck! Alex Carrington comes out of the Jacksonville game with a career game, and you post that we need better depth at his position. Honestly, I'm with some others in that I think there are other positions where the need is considerably more accute. As I understand it, Troup's problem this season was that he just needed more time to recoup and rehab from his back surgery. I didn't hear anything from Troup or from the team that suggested that he wouldn't make a complete recovery. Of course, until he get's on the field and plays full tilt we're not going to really know if he can or not. I think he's probably had enough time that the team at least has some idea of his long term prognosis at this point, but they're not saying.
                        Carrington looked great. I agree, before we worry about back DT's, can we get 2 starting LBr's?

Comment

• stuckincincy
                          Buffalo Bills Fan
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by TigerJ View Post
                          My timing has always been terrible, TJ.

Indeed - good game for him...3 solo tackles, 1 assist, 1.5 sacks, 1 pass defended. But the 2 - 9 JAX was crippled in the run game. Jones-Drew remained out, and replacement Rashad Jennings (2.8 ypc to date) carried 8 for 20, before leaving the game at 13:40 of the 2nd quarter. They had to turn to FB Montell Owens who went 7 for 29, his first carries of the year.

2nd rounder Troup only saw 6 games in 2011, and zero this season. He's beginning to remind me of John McCargo. Hope I'm wrong.

I advocate drafting DTs in the lower rounds unless an irresistible one falls in their lap. Otherwise, LB and QB.

Comment

Working...
                          X