PDA

View Full Version : Ranking the Top Coaching Canidates

Mike
12-03-2012, 03:52 PM
There are many so I will go with a very short review of the top names and my top guys:

96% John Gruden: Love what he did with the Raiders taking and Rich Gannon. His offensive prowess, imagination, drive, and extreem intensity will definitely help set this team straight I know he already loves some of the talent on this team: Spiller, Johnson, etc...
- I can imagine a place where he becomes Bills coach, gets Rivers and turns him into the next Gannon... Chances of happening might be 1 in a mill but would be fun to watch...

95% Sean Payton: How valuable is Sean Payton? Without him the Saints don't win a SB and with him would probably be in the mix for being one of the top teams in the NFL. No way do I see him coming to Buffalo, but if he does...

93% Any Ried: Great overall coach who knows how to develop a QB. His drafts and talent evaluation are keen as are his abilities to run a winning organization.

93% Mike Holmgren: It has been suggested that he wants to continue coaching. The problem in Cleveland was that he was GM. He created winners in both Green Bay and Seattle taking both teams to a SB! He has a knack for finding and developing a great QB (just look at his track record in GB and Seattle) and might come cheaper as a result of his Browns experience. Great overall coach.

90% Bill Cowher: Kind of like the AFC's version of Andy Ried except with the SB rings. The positives are obvious but for some reason I think he is slightly over rated. In my mind, without Big Ben Bill does not win a SB and is regarded is another very good coach but shy of greatness.

86% Bill Billick: A purported offensive genius who was suppose to be the answer in Baltimore in helping fix the Ravens offense and via finding a franchise QB. After years of little improvement on offense he was fired.

However, talent does go a long way. The Ravens were one of two teams over the past 20 or so years to win a SB without a Franchise QB. Can you guess the other? Thats right it was the Bucs, another team with a great defense which also hired an offensive genius who was suppose to fix the offense and who was later fired because there was little improvement. In this way Billick and Gruden are very similar and it goes to show how hard it really is to find the right offensive pieces. At least they did enough to win the big one.

College:
Chip Kelly: Oregon head coach with an impressive record and a very interesting offense. Would not mind seeing him in Buffalo.

Bob Stoops: Being a part of a top college program in Oklahoma which is destined to continue its winning ways in the short term its unlikely Stoops leaves. What makes it even more unlikely is his 4.5/mil salary.

Brain Kelly: Fighty Irish HC headed to BCS title game. What a turnaround! Irish for years had a hard time putting a winner on the field and it was not for a lack of trying. There were even some in the media who suggested that it was becoming nearly imposible for a private school with high academic standards to compete. In any case, he has done a marvelous job.

Others:
Perry Fewell: NYG defensive coordinator. Considered to be one of the best of the past few years and his SB wins.
Tom Clements: GB offensive coordinator responsible for one of the best offenses on the planet and of course a SB winner.
Bruce Arians: Colts interm. Might win Coach of the year. There is some doubt weather Arians wants to be HC at the ripe old age of 60.
Vic Fangio: SF defensive coordinator. One of best D units in NFL.
Jay Gruden: Cinci offensive coordinator being given credit for Bangles offense, the progression of Dalton, et al.
Ray Horton: Cards DC... falling a little now but was considered reason for Cards success on D.
Mike McCoy: Broncos OC. After getting Manning and showing what talent does, McCoy is now getting hot. To me its too much too soon. Heck I think I would be a decent OC with Manning and Co.

TALENT: In my opinion there is no substitue for Talent. No amount of coaching will help you overcome dramatic disadvantages on the field and most often, irregardless of talent level, QBs and Coaches get a disproportional amount of blame and applause when winning or losing. They get too much credit either way. Just look at Gruden and Billick two of the best offensive coaches and HC. Put on great teams with great FO in Baltimore and Tampa and they still could not turn their respective offenses into well oiled machines. Further, Perry Fewell (and other Bills Coordinators) was blasted in Buffalo for their coach but have received admiration elsewhere with talent around. In the end, no matter how much or little the fan base or ownership wants to admit it, it usually comes down to the talent and how well they execute.

Buffalogic
12-03-2012, 06:10 PM
Brian Billick*

JoeMama
12-03-2012, 07:04 PM
Before I even start thinking about a new coach, I want some reassurance that Chan Gailey is gone.

You never know with Buddy Nix. He may want his hick pal Chan Gailey to keep coaching this team forever.

Remember how much Marv Levy doubled down to defend his Ivy League egghead buddy Dick Jauron?

YardRat
12-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Gruden was such a great coach, the no-name that replaced him in Oakland took the team to a level Gruden couldn't...not to mention he basically inherited a Super Bowl team then drove it into the ground.

Payton isn't leaving NO anytime soon.

Reid is so good, he tried to make a DC out of an o-line coach. Ummmm...OK...

Holmgren's been washed up for a few years.

Cowher is extremely over-rated, and owes his success to Dick LeBeau. It's no coincidence that his greatest achievements were with LeBeau running the defense, and his worst years suffered when DL was in between stints with the Steelers.

Billick is interesting, but his inability to parlay his 'offensive genius' into any kind of success (including acquiring and developing a legit QB) in Baltimore is troubling.

I would pass on any of the above, except for maybe Billick, because he's the only one that appears hungry to recapture a championship.

IAG
12-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Do you bounce Chan if he wins 8 to 9 games? I still like his offensive design.

However, I would not be upset if he was fired. With that said, the Bills are not getting a big name. They will have to get a recycled coach, a coordinator that has not been given a shot or a college guy looking to get to the next level.

I like Mike Sherman. Mike Zimmer would thrive in Buffalo too. What about Jim Tressel. Lots of interesting names out there.

IAG
12-03-2012, 07:34 PM
By the way, I got flamed years ago for saying "Fewell the Fire" and the Bills should hire Perry Fewell. Looks like he is a candidate years later.

kingJofNYC
12-03-2012, 07:36 PM
Add Greg Roman, David Shaw, heck I'd even go after Art Briles.

None will come here however, Billick is probably the only one that would and he's nothing special. Billick is desperate for another opportunity.

scartown
12-03-2012, 08:25 PM
No list is complete without Gus Bradley.

Mike
12-03-2012, 08:26 PM
Add Greg Roman, David Shaw, heck I'd even go after Art Briles.

None will come here however, Billick is probably the only one that would and he's nothing special. Billick is desperate for another opportunity.

I get that feeling from him as well. He comes across as desperate enough to take the Bills job.

Extremebillsfan247
12-04-2012, 10:46 AM
Billick, John Gruden, Holmgren, Reid, and Cowher can be scratched off the list. All of these guys like full team control. As long as Ralph is still owner, none of these guys are possibilities. I hate to be the one to say it, but this may not exactly be the best year to be searching for a new HC unless your willing to go all out for a good one, and this organization just doesn't do that. They look for bargain basement coaches. That's how we end up with guys like Dick Jauron, and Chan Gailey. JMO

Mr. Miyagi
12-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Brian Billick*
"Brain" Kelly :rofl:

:monkeyp:Rivers

trapezeus
12-04-2012, 11:33 AM
i don't get why ralph's meddling is so much worse than other owners. what owner of any company simply hands over the keys to anyone and say, "run it, no questions asked."

I get from a michael Silver article years ago that Ralph will walk into a draft and then take a flyer on a RB in the fourth round after just watching the team draft one in the first round...and that's irritating. but don't other owners put some checks and balances on the GM, President, Coach to ensure that money is spent wisely and that diamond in the ruffs are looked for and that egos aren't taking over by selecting all project players?

i'm not denying that ralph isn't a meddler. i'm just curious why his meddling is so much worse than any other owner. i know no one really knows, but i'd be curious to hear other people's takes.

ServoBillieves
12-04-2012, 11:37 AM
I would take "Any Reid" in a heartbeat.

There should be a good coach with the last name Reid out there SOMEwhere.

Mr. Magoo
12-06-2012, 01:57 PM
I am all for Chip Kelly.

ThunderGun
12-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Gruden was such a great coach, the no-name that replaced him in Oakland took the team to a level Gruden couldn't...not to mention he basically inherited a Super Bowl team then drove it into the ground.

When Callahan took Gruden's Raiders team to the superbowl in '02...and then proceeded to get lit up by Gruden's Buccaneers because he was still using Gruden's playbook. He then went 4-12 the next year, and got ran out of the NFL. So he took the Raiders to a level that Gruden couldn't? Gruden won the superbowl with the Bucs the year that he left Oakland.

It doesn't matter, because he would never come here anyway...

Night Train
12-06-2012, 03:23 PM
I would take "Any Reid" in a heartbeat.

There should be a good coach with the last name Reid out there SOMEwhere.

Tara

The Jokeman
12-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Brian Billick was the name I was calling for when we went with Gailey. I still believe in him but honestly I'm not looking to replace Chan after this season. To me we let him finish out his contract next year and see what he does with a QB he choses. As he was forced to take Fitz when he first came here and he just not good enough. So I say this offseason draft a guy that Chan wants and if Chan fails then toss him aside. The QB I envision us getting is EJ Manuel who fits in with the athletic/do everything QB that Gailey really likes. Also he's likely a 2nd Round selection which will allow us to secure other need with our top pick (see WR or LB).