PDA

View Full Version : Why the Gailey Hate

DesertFox24
12-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Look I know this season did not meet up with our expectations but maybe our expectations were out of whack.

Lets start from the beginning Gailey and Nix inherited a mess and stupidly tried to become a 34 team, this was the only thing that they have done that really angers me.

We have added some talent through the draft and finally became a big spender in free agency what everyone wanted us to do. I think this is where the problem comes in everyone expected us to have this dominate defense week one and we could coast to the playoffs with our average passing game good running game and great defense.

Well I think it has taken longer for this defense to adjust to game speed of the new 43 and for our young players to come up to speed and gain valuable experience. Keep in mind at points in the game we have Kyle Moore, Dareus, Bradham, Gilmore, Rogers, Searcy, and Sheppard on the field that is 7 rookies or second year players. Moore has never played in an nfl game till last year that is why he is in this category.

Offense we lack a number 2 right now maybe Easley or Graham will be the guy but they are not right now. Losing Nelson hurt a lot, and Fitz is unable to throw deep on the sideline so defenses are just squatting and taking away the middle of the field daring us to throw deep outside which he just can not do.

Do I believe we are better than 5-7 yes I do, do I think we are playoff team no I do not. However I think we have progressed as a team from last year and I know all of you want the instant turn around but I want to be good for decades like the steelers not one year like the lions.

Therefore, I ask what will cleaning house accomplish do you think we have 49ner talent on this defense? Do you think we will be able to draft Luck or Griffin? Personally I said I would give our defense 8 games into next season to prove they are a top 10 unit before I start calling for coaches to be fired or Nix to be fired for wasting money.

I also want to see our offense with a legit QB that we can develop for 2013 and hopefully beat out Fitz in 2014.

Bottom line is I do not think Gailey is the problem I think the problem is young players and coaches trying to figure out how to coach around their weaknesses especially on defense.

But hey blow it up it has worked so well for us in the past. How many coaches have the steelers had, and how many have we had since 1999? Hey maybe stability is not a bad thing. We seem to like with Nix has done for the most part. He kept our young stars and he brought in the best DE in FA this past year. Overall in drafting his first rounders look like two home runs and hopefully Dareus becomes a home run but he is still a good player but not great yet. We drafted Aaron Williams and did not draft a QB that could be a mistake if Colin or Dalton get to elite status. Graham over Wilson we shall see round 3 has produced some really good WRs in history maybe he is a good one or maybe it was a bad pick, or maybe they were not high on Wilson because of his height who knows.

We had zero talent 3 years ago and now we have some pieces that they have brought in that people talk about and fear on other teams. Jauron gave us Bryd and Kyle, but those picks are lost on the Maybins and other mistakes.

Mr. Pink
12-04-2012, 03:14 PM
This team is worse than the team he inherited.

Point blank. Period.

stuckincincy
12-04-2012, 03:17 PM
The NFL is an entertainment business. 14 and 29 is not entertaining.

Oaf
12-04-2012, 03:18 PM

Point blank. Period.

Explain

Mr. Pink
12-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Explain

Jauron - 24-33

Gailey - 15-29

Any other explanation needed?

bf1
12-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Jauron Era: 42% win percentage.
Gailey Era: 34%

MidnightVoice
12-04-2012, 03:27 PM
Add in not using Spiller and screwing up game day decisions, along with a total inability to change the plan at half time

Lefty2985
12-04-2012, 03:43 PM
So not using Cj and game planing and not knowing how to make in game adjustments mean nothing to you

IAG
12-04-2012, 03:56 PM
Chan has nice offensive design and is a great play caller. Is that enough to return. I am not sure.

Albany,n.y.
12-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Chan has nice offensive design and is a great play caller. Is that enough to return. I am not sure.
Great play caller? Gailey called for a punt from his own 34 in a dome. Ralph should have called from Michigan & fired him as soon as the punt hit the air.
Nice offensive design-throw far too often when your best offensive players are your RBs and you have one of the worst receiving corps in the league?
Let's see what he does this week with no right side of the offensive line. Odds are his play calling will make a bad situation worse.
There's only one reason to keep Gailey-if nobody wants to coach the Bills. Since every NFL coaching job can attract a number of candidates, many of them better than Gailey or with a lot higher ceiling if he's from the assistant ranks, there is no reason not to fire Gailey. (And Nix can GTFO too)

djjimkelly
12-04-2012, 04:15 PM

Point blank. Period.

that is crazy talk

better days
12-04-2012, 04:15 PM
Well, I think this team has met expectations of most people on this board. I predicted 9-7 & thought the Bills would win between 8 & 10 games. I was one of the most optimistic on the board. If the Bills win 6 games or more, Chan will have met most peoples expectations.

Mr. Pink
12-04-2012, 04:21 PM
that is crazy talk

The only column that matters says it's 100% factual.

It's a results driven league and the results say that 3 years removed from Jauron, Gailey is struggling to get us back to where we were on the W/L with the weakest schedule we've had since 04.

better days
12-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Jauron - 24-33

Gailey - 15-29

Well, Chan may have won less games than Dick, but I would rather watch Chans Bills lose than watch Jaurons teams win, the Jauron Bills were so BORING to watch. At least Chans Bills are exciting to watch.

TrEd FTW
12-04-2012, 04:23 PM
Well, Chan may have one less games than Dick, but I would rather watch Chans Bills lose than watch Jaurons teams win, the Jauron Bills were so BORING to watch. At least Chans Bills are exciting to watch.

The Jauron Bills also won a lot more. Isn't that what matters? In the end they're both horrible head coaches, but Gailey is clearly worse.

Mr. Pink
12-04-2012, 04:26 PM
Well, Chan may have won less games than Dick, but I would rather watch Chans Bills lose than watch Jaurons teams win, the Jauron Bills were so BORING to watch. At least Chans Bills are exciting to watch.

We could win 10 games a year by the score of 7-6 and I wouldn't care. Why? Because that gets you the playoffs.

Jauron wasn't good enough but was better than Gailey.

Some fans expectations have surely lowered in the past 10 years around here. We're now at the mentality of "well we're losing but that's ok because at least it's a little more entertaining."

better days
12-04-2012, 04:32 PM
The Jauron Bills also won a lot more. Isn't that what matters? In the end they're both horrible head coaches, but Gailey is clearly worse.

Well, if Jauron would have won a LOT more, as in playoffs then yes it would have mattered, even though his teams were BORING to watch. Watching Jauron's Bills win or lose was about as exciting as watching paint dry. I would rather watch an exciting game, even a loss over a BORING game myself, even if that game was a win.

better days
12-04-2012, 04:34 PM
We could win 10 games a year by the score of 7-6 and I wouldn't care. Why? Because that gets you the playoffs.

Jauron wasn't good enough but was better than Gailey.

Some fans expectations have surely lowered in the past 10 years around here. We're now at the mentality of "well we're losing but that's ok because at least it's a little more entertaining."

Like I said, IF Jauron was a good enough Coach to get the Bills to the playoffs, I would have been happy even with his boring brand of ball, but he wasn't & some 7-6 games are EXCITING, just not Jaurons 7-6 games.

justasportsfan
12-04-2012, 04:44 PM

Point blank. Period.no way.

BertSquirtgum
12-04-2012, 04:53 PM
no way.

Way.

JoeMama
12-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Good coaches don't lose twice as many games as they win.

This facts are so one-sided against Gailey, it brooks no argument.

justasportsfan
12-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Jauron - 24-33

Gailey - 15-29

every team Dicks ever coached got worse the longer he stayed as HC.
Wait til the end of this season and we'll see where the bills are headed in terms of record as far as Gailey is concerned. I'm not saying that we keep Gailey but to say that Dick did a better job remains to be seen.

mikemac2001
12-04-2012, 05:11 PM
fitz has lost atleast 3 games this year....

i am curious what chan could do we anything better

but chan also chose fitz (but did he want to draft another)

mikemac2001
12-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Wait til the end of this season and we'll see where the bills are headed in terms of record as far as Gailey is concerned. I'm not saying that we keep Gailey but to say that Dick did a better job remains to be seen.

Plus Dick's teams were horriable to watch never hated football so much

Mr. Pink
12-04-2012, 05:30 PM
It's sad when fans get so accustomed to losing that they back the current loser with "well at least it's more exciting to watch."

BLeonard
12-04-2012, 05:52 PM
I would rather watch an exciting game, even a loss over a BORING game myself, even if that game was a win.

This is the major problem with some Bills fans... Like Woody Harrelson said in "White Men Can't Jump," you'd rather look good and lose than look bad and win.

I don't care in the Bills win 3-2... That's much better than losing 41-40... In case you've forgotten, listen to Herm:

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QIug-HngLYc?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QIug-HngLYc?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I want to win. I couldn't care less about "excitement."

You want "exciting"? Go watch the Harlem Globetrotters.

-Bill

mikemac2001
12-04-2012, 07:12 PM
It's sad when fans get so accustomed to losing that they back the current loser with "well at least it's more exciting to watch."

Ya because its entertainment

id take a bad win over an entertaining loss

my point was atleast i have enjoyed some of the losses more then dick;s bore fest lets run the clock out 1st qtr style

but take it however you want

EDS
12-04-2012, 07:25 PM
Look I know this season did not meet up with our expectations but maybe our expectations were out of whack.

Lets start from the beginning Gailey and Nix inherited a mess and stupidly tried to become a 34 team, this was the only thing that they have done that really angers me.

We have added some talent through the draft and finally became a big spender in free agency what everyone wanted us to do. I think this is where the problem comes in everyone expected us to have this dominate defense week one and we could coast to the playoffs with our average passing game good running game and great defense.

Well I think it has taken longer for this defense to adjust to game speed of the new 43 and for our young players to come up to speed and gain valuable experience. Keep in mind at points in the game we have Kyle Moore, Dareus, Bradham, Gilmore, Rogers, Searcy, and Sheppard on the field that is 7 rookies or second year players. Moore has never played in an nfl game till last year that is why he is in this category.

Offense we lack a number 2 right now maybe Easley or Graham will be the guy but they are not right now. Losing Nelson hurt a lot, and Fitz is unable to throw deep on the sideline so defenses are just squatting and taking away the middle of the field daring us to throw deep outside which he just can not do.

Do I believe we are better than 5-7 yes I do, do I think we are playoff team no I do not. However I think we have progressed as a team from last year and I know all of you want the instant turn around but I want to be good for decades like the steelers not one year like the lions.

Therefore, I ask what will cleaning house accomplish do you think we have 49ner talent on this defense? Do you think we will be able to draft Luck or Griffin? Personally I said I would give our defense 8 games into next season to prove they are a top 10 unit before I start calling for coaches to be fired or Nix to be fired for wasting money.

I also want to see our offense with a legit QB that we can develop for 2013 and hopefully beat out Fitz in 2014.

Bottom line is I do not think Gailey is the problem I think the problem is young players and coaches trying to figure out how to coach around their weaknesses especially on defense.

But hey blow it up it has worked so well for us in the past. How many coaches have the steelers had, and how many have we had since 1999? Hey maybe stability is not a bad thing. We seem to like with Nix has done for the most part. He kept our young stars and he brought in the best DE in FA this past year. Overall in drafting his first rounders look like two home runs and hopefully Dareus becomes a home run but he is still a good player but not great yet. We drafted Aaron Williams and did not draft a QB that could be a mistake if Colin or Dalton get to elite status. Graham over Wilson we shall see round 3 has produced some really good WRs in history maybe he is a good one or maybe it was a bad pick, or maybe they were not high on Wilson because of his height who knows.

We had zero talent 3 years ago and now we have some pieces that they have brought in that people talk about and fear on other teams. Jauron gave us Bryd and Kyle, but those picks are lost on the Maybins and other mistakes.

Nix and Gailey inherited Kyle Williams, Byrd, Wood, Levitre, Steve Johnson, Fred Jackson. so in other words, 2 of the teams three best defenders, two of the teams three best offensive skill position players, and two of the teams top three offensive lineman. They have ignored the most important position on the field and have hired two of thw worst coordinators in the NFL.

Other than that they have been only o.k.

Albany,n.y.
12-04-2012, 07:34 PM
Let's follow through on this thread:
OP says Gailey & Nix inherited a mess but now we have more talent. I'll buy that.
Gailey over Jauron people say Gailey's games are better to watch.
Fact: Gailey's win percentage is lower than Jauron's.
If we buy the fact that Jauron had less talent, then why is Gailey not a worse coach than Jauron since his record with more talent is worse?
Jauron may not have gotten any better, but his 7-9 seasons would cause the Gailey supporters to be calling for an extension of Gailey's contract.
Bottom line: 2 bad coaches & Gailey is the worse of the 2.

Don't Panic
12-04-2012, 07:44 PM
He's getting another year, so it should be very clear whether or not he deserves the job about this time next year.

BLeonard
12-04-2012, 07:53 PM
He's getting another year, so it should be very clear whether or not he deserves the job about this time next year.

It's already "very clear." It's just unfortunate that the Front Office apparently still doesn't see it.

But hey, as long as they keep getting the fans' money, they'll be more than happy to sell them the same **** sandwich that's been served for the past 13 years.

-Bill

Don't Panic
12-04-2012, 08:23 PM
It's already "very clear." It's just unfortunate that the Front Office apparently still doesn't see it.

But hey, as long as they keep getting the fans' money, they'll be more than happy to sell them the same **** sandwich that's been served for the past 13 years.

-Bill

I think the money's about to dry up... hard to keep repackaging the same product and expect even a faithful fan base to come back. They're going to have to perform now to sell tickets... that's my point - there will be nothing to shield anyone of their failings if they continue next year. Not Chan, not Buddy, not Fitz... all will have to earn it if they hope to have a future. I know many will say that's already come and passed, but not in old Ralphie's eyes. I'm sure he's completely set, or at least mostly set, on bringing back the band for one more run. So be it... then we'll know for sure. In the meantime I hope we get one of Teo, Ogletree or Geno when we're picking at #14 since we ended up winning 3 of our last 5 when it didn't matter. Missing out on a difference maker in April would salt the wound that much more.

Historian
12-05-2012, 06:48 AM
Way worse team, with twice the talent.

DesertFox24
12-05-2012, 07:28 AM
Sorry I disagree we had very little talent that first year and Edwards screwed us out of a couple of games.

Nix has drafted well and the defense is actually climbing in rankings, only gave up 10 points if Rogers does not drop the punt.

Yes jags are bad team but you have to beat the bad teams and win the games you are supposed to win.

Jauron got us to 7-9 and never improved Gailey was 3-13, 6-10, and hopefully 8-8 that is improvement every year.

Sorry I just do not agree with you guys at all. You guys want a quick fix and just make it to the playoffs and then suck for another decade. I want to build a team like the 90s bills that goes to the playoffs more times than it does not in a decade.

Personally I do not think Gailey his staff or the front office are the reason that is not happening they inherited a bad bad team. They have made us better on the field and on paper. Period....

That being said 9-7 or better next year or Gailey has to go, he needs to show in year 4 that he has a playoff caliber team and actually win games we were not supposed to win.

JoeMama
12-05-2012, 07:40 AM
Let's follow through on this thread:
OP says Gailey & Nix inherited a mess but now we have more talent. I'll buy that.
Gailey over Jauron people say Gailey's games are better to watch.
Fact: Gailey's win percentage is lower than Jauron's.
If we buy the fact that Jauron had less talent, then why is Gailey not a worse coach than Jauron since his record with more talent is worse?
Jauron may not have gotten any better, but his 7-9 seasons would cause the Gailey supporters to be calling for an extension of Gailey's contract.
Bottom line: 2 bad coaches & Gailey is the worse of the 2.

What it boils down to is maybe Chan Gailey's fans aren't that bright.

Gailey's record is indefensible.

Supporting him at this point is 100% emotion and 0% logic.

DesertFox24
12-05-2012, 08:41 AM
What it boils down to is maybe Chan Gailey's fans aren't that bright.

Gailey's record is indefensible.

Supporting him at this point is 100% emotion and 0% logic.

No asking for his head and thinking a new guy can come in and rebuild in less than three years is 100% emotion and no logic.

Good teams and good franchises stay the course and right the ship they do not constantly tear it down and try to rebuild.

You people are crazy.

So here is the question when you show up in 2013 to games and Gailey and Nix are still here and you wear your brown bags in protest, when are you going to take them off? Because they will be here neither of them is going anywhere and I doubt Gailey fires any coaches so you guys have two choices.

Personnel I am waiting till 8 games next year at that point if we are not in serious playoff contention and winning big games then I say a change has to be made. Three years is not enough time especially given the circumstances of changing a defense, new players, and very young players having to play.

I will agree that going to the 34 was stupid to begin with so that is something that we should all be pissed about. It cost us Schobel and Poz.

Novacane
12-05-2012, 08:46 AM

Bull ****! If you think this team is exiting you're crazy.

OpIv37
12-05-2012, 08:51 AM

Gailey doesn't try a 51-yard FG in a dome but tries a 50 yarder outside in windy, rainy weather.

Gailey kept two kickers only to cut one 6 weeks into the season. Gailey kept Moorman over Potter only to reverse the decision halfway through the season.

Gailey has a playmaker in Spiller yet continues to allow Fitzpatrick to force plays. It's mind-boggling how he insists on passing despite having 2 great backs and an OL that is better at run blocking than pass blocking.

Gailey did nothing as his D set records for futility for the first quarter of the season. And don't assume that the D just "took longer to adjust." We've been playing Miami, Indy and Jacksonville. When the D was getting smashed, we were playing the Jets, Patriots, 49ers, Texans, and Titans. With the exception of the Jets, the quality of competition has gone down.

Gailey's a lemon. A lemon might get you to and from work a few times without breaking down, but no matter how many repairs you have done on it or if you get it to work for a short period of time, it will always break down and leave you stranded. Sooner or later, it has to be replaced, and sooner is better than later. You can keep the lemon and have your stability, but you are also keeping all it's problems. Your last sentence pretty much says it all: we had zero talent 3 years ago. Well, while we do lack talent in some key areas, we also have talent now. So, why are we just as bad on the field? Answer: Gailey. And Wannstadt.

I do agree with you about one thing though: blowing it up won't make a difference as long as Ralph's in charge. The man has always been incapable of putting together a winning football team, and I can't imagine he's any better at it now that he's 94 in failing health.

imbondz
12-05-2012, 09:10 AM
For me there was nothing more torturous than the Dick Jauron era. I never had hope it was going to get better and games were torture to watch. It seems now we at least have players to build on. I don't think chans the answer tho, his record sucks. A good coach would have us at 7-5 right now at least

Night Train
12-05-2012, 09:19 AM
No hate... just wish to see a change to a coach who is more in tune with the modern game and sees that we need an athletic QB who can deliver the ball more consistently.

Plus a GM who isn't a scout first and blindly picks players based on his grade with little to no cosideration for need ( see QB ) .

Albany,n.y.
12-05-2012, 09:30 AM
No asking for his head and thinking a new guy can come in and rebuild in less than three years is 100% emotion and no logic.

Good teams and good franchises stay the course and right the ship they do not constantly tear it down and try to rebuild.

You people are crazy.

So here is the question when you show up in 2013 to games and Gailey and Nix are still here and you wear your brown bags in protest, when are you going to take them off? Because they will be here neither of them is going anywhere and I doubt Gailey fires any coaches so you guys have two choices.

Personnel I am waiting till 8 games next year at that point if we are not in serious playoff contention and winning big games then I say a change has to be made. Three years is not enough time especially given the circumstances of changing a defense, new players, and very young players having to play.

I will agree that going to the 34 was stupid to begin with so that is something that we should all be pissed about. It cost us Schobel and Poz.
Of course a guy can come in & rebuild in less than 3 years! All the Bills need to win are a QB & a competent coaching staff. Select the right coach & QB, re-sign the key free agents and this team is a winner next season. Stay the course with Gailey & Fitzpatrick & we're a loser again. This is the 21st century-rookie QBs come in and teams go from losers to winners the very next season-just look at what a new coach & QB are doing in Indy & the coach has been ill virtually the whole season. Look at the recent 1 season turn arounds & wake up to this 3 year nonsense:
2012 Colts: New coach, new rookie QB: 2-14 in 2011, playoffs 2012
2012 Rams: New coach, same QB but not injured for 6 games, 2011 2-14, 2012 5-6-1 so far, major improvement
2011 49ers: New coach, same QB, 2010 6-10, 2011 13-3 makes it all the way to NFC championship game
2011 Broncos: New coach, new starting QB, 2010 4-12, 2011 8-8 win division & playoff game, show enough to attract P. Manning 1 year later and are now Super Bowl contenders in coach's 2nd year.
2008 Dolphins: New coach, new QB (veteran), 2007 1-15, 2008 11-5 win division
2008 Ravens: New coach, new rookie QB, 2007 5-11, 2008 11-5, playoffs & with the coach & QB they've been contenders ever since the change.
I could go on, but I think my point about the 3 year nonsense is proven, and if you still have any doubts that you can turn a team around in far less than 3 years, then explain how 2 expansion teams in 1995 made it to the conference championship games in 1996.

Now look at Bills history with coaches 3 years or less on the job. Do you really think more time would have helped: Williams, Bullough, Stephenson, Ringo, Johnson, Rauch, Collier and Ramsey? About the only guy you could make a case for is Mularkey & he quit. All the others never got another NFL HC gig again.

better days
12-05-2012, 09:30 AM
I think the money's about to dry up... hard to keep repackaging the same product and expect even a faithful fan base to come back. They're going to have to perform now to sell tickets... that's my point - there will be nothing to shield anyone of their failings if they continue next year. Not Chan, not Buddy, not Fitz... all will have to earn it if they hope to have a future. I know many will say that's already come and passed, but not in old Ralphie's eyes. I'm sure he's completely set, or at least mostly set, on bringing back the band for one more run. So be it... then we'll know for sure. In the meantime I hope we get one of Teo, Ogletree or Geno when we're picking at #14 since we ended up winning 3 of our last 5 when it didn't matter. Missing out on a difference maker in April would salt the wound that much more.

Well, the game this Sunday against the Rams is sold out & will be televised. If the Bills finish the season strong & have a good offseason, the faithful fan base will be back.

better days
12-05-2012, 09:33 AM
Bull ****! If you think this team is exiting you're crazy.

Bull**** my A**. You must have a very poor memory if you don't think Chans Bills are much more exciting than Dicks Bills.

OpIv37
12-05-2012, 09:37 AM

You people are crazy.

Well, the mast is broken and there's a giant hole in the hull, so righting the ship is impossible. You can bail water out with buckets or try to sail on what's left of the mast but you're gonna sink eventually no matter what you do. Gailey was a bad pick from the start and nothing can be done to fix it except replace him.

16070 All is Well! DO NOT PANIC!

gebobs
12-05-2012, 09:41 AM
Yeah...watching 20 screen plays a game is so exciting!

gebobs
12-05-2012, 09:43 AM
The point is not really that one or the other is better. The fact that the topic is even remotely debatable is.

trapezeus
12-05-2012, 09:44 AM
really don't care what hte stats say about jauron vs gailey. i would rather watch a gailey led team than a jauron led team. jauron games were so slow and they held on til the end when they won despite themselves. and they'd lose in all sorts of ways.

Gailey has offensive points going up. you do think they have a chance of scoring any time the team gets the ball.

but my faith in gailey is waning. this year, he really made some very jauronian type decisions to be bone headed and not in the game to make the right calls. the 2pt conversion vs the titans, losingpats and 49ers in embarassing fashion. almost pissing away the cards game. it isn't really inspiring.

but the fact he can get almost 24-35 points most games (7 out of 11 games) with this QB and the current play calls? imagine what a real qb can do.

i agree with OP, i don't want one good season and start over. At this point, the problem is that the people evaluating the operation are terrible. absentee owner and his smithers. If we had football guys who were good and they said, "gailey gets another year. end of story" i'd be fine with that. but when i'm right more than ralph in the last 12 years, i tend to go with my gut. and my gut says that the talent for starters has gotten better. the depth is about the same or worse, and the coaching is failing us.

gebobs
12-05-2012, 09:45 AM
id take a bad win over an entertaining loss
I don't find any loss entertaining.

Historian
12-05-2012, 09:48 AM
The only reason I like CG a wee bit more than DJ is his candor.

"Coach...how do you explain today's loss?"

CG: "We lost as a team....we just weren't good enough today. We gotta get better."

DJ: "I love these guys....and...and I love this game...."

bf1
12-05-2012, 09:54 AM
DJ: "We'll have to look at the game tape."

trapezeus
12-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Sorry I disagree we had very little talent that first year and Edwards screwed us out of a couple of games.

Nix has drafted well and the defense is actually climbing in rankings, only gave up 10 points if Rogers does not drop the punt.

Yes jags are bad team but you have to beat the bad teams and win the games you are supposed to win.

Jauron got us to 7-9 and never improved Gailey was 3-13, 6-10, and hopefully 8-8 that is improvement every year.

Sorry I just do not agree with you guys at all. You guys want a quick fix and just make it to the playoffs and then suck for another decade. I want to build a team like the 90s bills that goes to the playoffs more times than it does not in a decade.

Personally I do not think Gailey his staff or the front office are the reason that is not happening they inherited a bad bad team. They have made us better on the field and on paper. Period....

That being said 9-7 or better next year or Gailey has to go, he needs to show in year 4 that he has a playoff caliber team and actually win games we were not supposed to win.

what you say is all true,and i would have agreed at end of last year. but this year, gailey has walked this team out of a couple wins, had them get embarassed by a jets team that had no business being in most games this season, and hasn't motivated them from mid sept onward. the bills controlled their fate, even after that patriot loss. the fact they could go to san fran and be so flat and that you knew it was coming was really embarassing. i lack faith that he can win 3 of 4 very winnable games. i don't know if i trust him to do this again with more talent and make simple mistakes like "not running enough, or kicking FG in domes, or not having brad smith throw a bomb in a game you won, or go for 2 when you are up by 6 in the fourth quarter, or beat the AFC east teams at above .500 in a season."

the bills played in the NFC west this year. they should have won both patriot games and the titans game. they could have won the indy game if they trusted their running game. that's 4 more wins that i think a better coach taps into.

but i agree that change and radical change isn't what this team needs. it needs tweaks. especially if we win 3 of 4 or better.

GingerP
12-05-2012, 10:03 AM
The point is not really that one or the other is better. The fact that the topic is even remotely debatable is.

It is kind of like saying "this bag of crap doesn't smell as terrible as the last bag of crap".

Either way, it is a bag of crap.

gebobs
12-05-2012, 10:38 AM
they should have won both patriot games
Hello what?

trapezeus
12-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Hello what?

is it too much to ask for a team with a 21-7 lead to not fumble at the 1 with their Injured back to go up 28-7 and ice the game?

is it too much to ask the team to not get the ridiculous 14 penalties which gifted the other team 21 points? that is hard to pin on gailey, but despite all that, he had the bills one play away from winning the game.

a better team wins those two games.

better days
12-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Yeah...watching 20 screen plays a game is so exciting!

Much more exciting than watching Trent Edwards complete a pass for a one yd gain on 3rd & LONG time after time.

gebobs
12-05-2012, 11:22 AM
is it too much to ask for a team with a 21-7 lead to not fumble at the 1 with their Injured back to go up 28-7 and ice the game?
Of course not. But to quote Dick Cheney, you go to war with the army you have, not the army you want to have. For generals (coach), the Patriots have Patton. The Bills have Custer. For guns (quarterbacks), the Patriots have an Uzi. The Bills have a flintlock musket. Swap those two, and the Bills win. But the reality is that the Bills can't reasonably compete with the Patriots with the QB and the coach they have. If they don't get blown out, you can bet they'll find a way to lose otherwise.

a better team wins those two games.
Sure, but the Bills aren't a better team. Gailey is 1-5 against Belichick. He has been lucky enough to get that one win. It's more than most Bills coaches can say in the past 12 years since Brady took over.

- - - Updated - - -

Much more exciting than watching Trent Edwards complete a pass for a one yd gain on 3rd & LONG time after time.

Much more? You are easily amused. You make a perfect Bills fan.

Fixxxer
12-05-2012, 11:51 AM

Still his responsability and I hate this situation, because with better QBacking this team would have a winning record and talking about playoffs.

I don't know if they didn't want to challenge Fitz or thought 100% he was the man (if that is so, Chan is oh, so very wrong) but I would only accept the status quo and every body coming back if Chan says at the end of the year that the QB position has to improve and that they will do everything in their power to upgrade it.

OpIv37
12-05-2012, 12:00 PM

A few things here:

First, as you stated, Chan chose Fitz. He also chose to pass when he could have run. It's on Chan for playing the game like he has Tom Brady at QB and Danny Woodhead at RB instead of Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB and CJ Spiller at RB. It's the coach's responsibility to maximize the talent that he has and minimize the flaws that the team has. His consistent belief in Fitz is a big reason why he should go.

Second, as far as what Chan could do with a better QB- well, of course that makes a coach's job easier. ANY coach is going to do better with a better QB. And the unfortunate reality is that we don't have a better QB. So, it goes back to the first point: the coach has to maximize the talent that he has.

This is where Gailey consistently fails.

Bill Cody
12-05-2012, 12:37 PM
A few things here:

First, as you stated, Chan chose Fitz. He also chose to pass when he could have run. It's on Chan for playing the game like he has Tom Brady at QB and Danny Woodhead at RB instead of Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB and CJ Spiller at RB. It's the coach's responsibility to maximize the talent that he has and minimize the flaws that the team has. His consistent belief in Fitz is a big reason why he should go.

Second, as far as what Chan could do with a better QB- well, of course that makes a coach's job easier. ANY coach is going to do better with a better QB. And the unfortunate reality is that we don't have a better QB. So, it goes back to the first point: the coach has to maximize the talent that he has.

This is where Gailey consistently fails.

That's all fine and dandy but you ain't winning anything with Fitz. As for picking him I agree he should have tried TJ. But saying get the most of your team in a QB driven league when you have garbage under center is kind of silly. And I'm far from a Gailey fan. This idea that we're a better coach away is officially getting annoying.

Bill Cody
12-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Bull**** my A**. You must have a very poor memory if you don't think Chans Bills are much more exciting than Dicks Bills.

You're right. The argument itself is silly of course. The old "dog **** smells better than cow ****" argument. To me 7-9 is the worst thing you can be in this league. Absolutely ******ed to say that's better than anything. You're either in the playoffs or you're not. Jauron was every bit the failure Chan is. And he bored the hell out of me.

Bill Cody
12-05-2012, 12:48 PM
apparently yes

is it too much to ask the team to not get the ridiculous 14 penalties which gifted the other team 21 points?

apparently yes

OpIv37
12-05-2012, 12:53 PM
That's all fine and dandy but you ain't winning anything with Fitz. As for picking him I agree he should have tried TJ. But saying get the most of your team in a QB driven league when you have garbage under center is kind of silly. And I'm far from a Gailey fan. This idea that we're a better coach away is officially getting annoying.

oh, we are far from a better coach away- that's for damn sure. But the coach we have will NEVER win it all, regardless of how much talent we give him.

Mr. Pink
12-05-2012, 12:55 PM

Gailey couldn't win with a HOF QB and HOF RB as the focal points of his offense.

We're a better coach away as well as numerous pieces on the field.

JoeMama
12-05-2012, 01:20 PM

You people are crazy.

Thirteen years without a playoff berth and yet we're the crazy ones? Why, because we expect better results from Chan Gailey in year three?

Newsflash, guy. If a coach can't get it done in year three, chances are, his blueprint is flawed. I bet you could give Chan an entire decade and he'd still never break .500.

I'd respond to you point by point but Albany,n.y. already mopped the floor with you in post #41.

better days
12-05-2012, 01:34 PM
- - - Updated - - -

Much more? You are easily amused. You make a perfect Bills fan.

Yes, MUCH MORE exciting. Many of the Bills losses have come late in the game under Chan & there was hope they could pull out the win because they have done so a few times. When Dick was HC, he played not to lose & lost many times trying to hang on to his 3 point lead.

Novacane
12-05-2012, 02:12 PM

Wins excite me. They are both losers.

Novacane
12-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Yes, MUCH MORE exciting. Many of the Bills losses have come late in the game under Chan & there was hope they could pull out the win because they have done so a few times. When Dick was HC, he played not to lose & lost many times trying to hang on to his 3 point lead.

Punting from the opponents 34 is playing not to lose.

gebobs
12-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Yes, MUCH MORE exciting.
Sorry, I don't like losses any way they come.

Many of the Bills losses have come late in the game under Chan & there was hope they could pull out the win because they have done so a few times.
This might be a case of selective memory. Gailey has plenty of hopeless games. Let's look at how many 10+ point losses both guys had. Surely those games there was little hope that the team would "pull it out".

Jauron: 17/64 (27%)
Gailey: 15/44 (34%)

Hmmmm...doesn't look good for the old Chump Gailey.

When Dick was HC, he played not to lose & lost many times trying to hang on to his 3 point lead.
Wait. I thought you liked close exciting games even if they were losses?

No doubt, Jauron could snatch defeat from the jaws of victory like no one else. Don't think for a minute that I miss Skeletor. But Gailey's no slouch either. Late leads lost I can see with a quick glance through 7 years of box scores...

Jauron '06: NE, TEN '07: DEN, DAL '08: CLE, NYJ '09: NE, JAX, PIT
Gailey: '10: CHI, PIT '11: CIN, NYJ '12: TEN

Unless I've missed something, Jauron lost 14% of games with late leads and Gailey has lost 11%. If that's progress, it ain't much.

And let's not forget just how putrid that Gailey is in the AFC. Jauron, that dumbass, had as many divisional wins in one year than Gailey has had in nearly three. 3/13 in the division. Yeeehaaaah...that's awesome!!!

Novacane
12-05-2012, 02:27 PM
I think better days is confusing their personalities with on field play. Chan talks a good game but compared to dead man walking Dick anyone is going to appear exciting.

better days
12-05-2012, 02:35 PM
Punting from the opponents 34 is playing not to lose.

The difference is Dick played not to lose from the opening kickoff.

better days
12-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Sorry, I don't like losses any way they come.

This might be a case of selective memory. Gailey has plenty of hopeless games. Let's look at how many 10+ point losses both guys had. Surely those games there was little hope that the team would "pull it out".

Jauron: 17/64 (27%)
Gailey: 15/44 (34%)

Hmmmm...doesn't look good for the old Chump Gailey.

Wait. I thought you liked close exciting games even if they were losses?

No doubt, Jauron could snatch defeat from the jaws of victory like no one else. Don't think for a minute that I miss Skeletor. But Gailey's no slouch either. Late leads lost I can see with a quick glance through 7 years of box scores...

Jauron '06: NE, TEN '07: DEN, DAL '08: CLE, NYJ '09: NE, JAX, PIT
Gailey: '10: CHI, PIT '11: CIN, NYJ '12: TEN

Unless I've missed something, Jauron lost 14% of games with late leads and Gailey has lost 11%. If that's progress, it ain't much.

And let's not forget just how putrid that Gailey is in the AFC. Jauron, that dumbass, had as many divisional wins in one year than Gailey has had in nearly three. 3/13 in the division. Yeeehaaaah...that's awesome!!!

Well, I posted before I am done defending Gailey, but I would still take him over Jauron EVERY DAY of the week.

gebobs
12-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Well, I posted before I am done defending Gailey, but I would still take him over Jauron EVERY DAY of the week.
I think you need to re-examine why. First, because the reasons you gave do not jibe with reality. Second, because they are both steaming piles of fetid ferret crap. But that's up to you.

Personally, I hate Gailey more for the one reason that he is still our coach and still farking this team up whereas Skeletor has moved on to browner pastures.

Mr. Pink
12-05-2012, 02:59 PM
If we had the last 3 years to do over...we shouldn't have bothered even firing Jauron.

It's a lot easier to win when you're not giving up 30 points regularly.

And we would have definitely seen a lot more of CJ Spiller, if we had drafted him, than we do now.

better days
12-05-2012, 03:19 PM
If we had the last 3 years to do over...we shouldn't have bothered even firing Jauron.

And we would have definitely seen a lot more of CJ Spiller, if we had drafted him, than we do now.

And Trent Edwards would still be throwing 1 yd completions on 3rd & 9 NO THANKS.

gebobs
12-05-2012, 03:25 PM
And Trent Edwards would still be throwing 1 yd completions on 3rd & 9 NO THANKS.
Yeah, at least Gailey had more sense than to start Edwards.

Wait, no that's wrong. I remember. Fitz was the starter at the end of '09 and Gailey resurrected that bum.

better days
12-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Yeah, at least Gailey had more sense than to start Edwards.

Wait, no that's wrong. I remember. Fitz was the starter at the end of '09 and Gailey resurrected that bum.

Well, Fitz was only the starter at the end of 09 because Jauron had been fired. If Jauron was still HC of the Bills today, Trent would still be his starter. Trent fooled Chan with his good play in practice & meaningless games, but at least when the live bullets started to fly, Chan had the good sense to not only bench Trent, but to cut him as well.

justasportsfan
12-05-2012, 03:34 PM

lol. Trent would be a our qb and we still wouldn't come close to beating the pats and the browns would still owned our arse. Dick couldnt beat the browns remember?

And no. Dick would have continued to use Lynch (who was underachieving under Dick) even if we drafted Spiller. Dick kept using his prized possession in Lynch even though Fred was the better rb.

gebobs
12-05-2012, 04:10 PM
Well, Fitz was only the starter at the end of 09 because Jauron had been fired.
Well, yeah...kinda. Jauron did start Fitz a few games because Edwards had a hangnail I think. As soon as he recovered from his booboo, Mauron put him back in.

Good thinking, Dick. You're fired! LOL

But my main point was that dumbass Gailey went back to Edwards when everyone and their mother knew what a putz he was.

Mr. Pink
12-05-2012, 04:14 PM
lol. Trent would be a our qb and we still wouldn't come close to beating the pats and the browns would still owned our arse. Dick couldnt beat the browns remember?

And no. Dick would have continued to use Lynch (who was underachieving under Dick) even if we drafted Spiller. Dick kept using his prized possession in Lynch even though Fred was the better rb.

Who cares what back would be running the ball? We'd at least be playing to the strength of the offense which is something that Jauron did do. Last Sunday was typically gameplanned the way Jauron gameplanned games. Abuse the strength - RBs, Hide the flaws - QB. It took Chan into his third season to figure out what Jauron was doing from the start with Losman.

While obviously Fitz is better than Losman, it's not saying much because even Trent was better than Losman.

Oh and :rofl: at beating the Pats once as a reason to give Chan a feather in his cap. We've given away victories against them this year in almost as bad of fashion as McKelvin fumbling the kickoff. Who's been better overall in the division? I'll give you a hint, it's not Chan. Who's been better overall against the NFL? Another hint, it's not Chan.

This is not directing at you Justa but I'm just too lazy to multiquote - That 3rd and 9 dumpoff point is one of the most idiotic points ever. The Ravens had 4th and 30 against the Chargers and dumped it down to a RB who *gasp* made a play. Then again, maybe people around here think Stevie, CJ and Freddie cannot make plays. Just like back then with Dick, apparently Evans, Lynch and Jackson couldn't make plays.

trapezeus
12-05-2012, 04:15 PM
i think trent was a ralph meddling thing. i think chan and nix said, 'we'll let your guy play for a few weeks. if results are there, we'll go, and if they aren't, we will bail'.

it's that or trent is one amazing practice guy and then regresses come game time when the heat comes. which i could totally believe.

gebobs
12-05-2012, 06:36 PM
i think trent was a ralph meddling thing. i think chan and nix said, 'we'll let your guy play for a few weeks. if results are there, we'll go, and if they aren't, we will bail'.
That's certainly a possibility though I haven't heard anything that confirms it.

Regardless, I'd rather have a coach with the backbone to stand up to the owner and say, "I've been at this a long time. I know what I'm doing. I am an expert at evaluating talent. Trent got his fair shot and he's just not going to pan out. Ryan has shown a bit more. We're going to see what he's got and Trent is going to the bench."

I'd like to know what the story was. Anyone with more than half a brain could see what a schmoe Edwards was.

justasportsfan
12-06-2012, 08:19 AM
Who cares what back would be running the ball? We'd at least be playing to the strength of the offense which is something that Jauron did do.

Are you kidding me? What was the highest the bills offense ranked under Dick? What was the highest the D ever ranked under Dick? Dick CHOSE Trent over Fitz. He chose Lynch over FJ. So how is that playing to your strengths(although not much but that's Dicks choice) when the strength of you team is sitting on the bench?

Dicks playing not to lose worked to a certain degree but that philosophy went down the toilet as proven by the decline of the team in the year he was fired.

justasportsfan
12-06-2012, 08:35 AM
Are you kidding me? What was the highest the bills offense ranked under Dick? What was the highest the D ever ranked under Dick? Dick CHOSE Trent over Fitz. He chose Lynch over FJ. So how is that playing to your strengths(although not much but that's Dicks choice) when the strength of you team is sitting on the bench?

Dicks playing not to lose worked to a certain degree but that philosophy went down the toilet as proven by the decline of the team in the year he was fired.lets not forget that TO was just running routes under Dick. He came alive when Dick was fired and Fewell started Fitz. While TO wasnt what he once was, he was still a weapon that wasn't used under Dick. Lee Evans was also a weapon who wasn't used to his full potential because Dick had Capt. checkdown throwing the ball. So your opinion about Dick using the strengths of the offense is sooooo wrong.

DesertFox24
12-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Thirteen years without a playoff berth and yet we're the crazy ones? Why, because we expect better results from Chan Gailey in year three?

Newsflash, guy. If a coach can't get it done in year three, chances are, his blueprint is flawed. I bet you could give Chan an entire decade and he'd still never break .500.

I'd respond to you point by point but Albany,n.y. already mopped the floor with you in post #41.

Newsflash lol and someone mopped the floor wow you guys are gangsta sitting there behind your keyboard.

I will refrain from a message board war because I have better things to do than try to prove someone wrong.

Everyone has their opinions and I am not trying to change just trying to figure it out

You claim 13 years of no playoffs well newsflash 10 of those years he and Nix have nothing to do with.

Newsflash our offense and defense rankings are as a combined average total are better than the previous 10 years. Newsflash we average almost 25 points a game did not do that at all in previous 10 years.

Also the best part of your post was you said I would give Gailey a decade, no I said one more year and a minimum of 9 wins in 2013 or he and his staff are gone. I would give Nix another coach hire, I personally like his drafts and the players he is picking. They all have one thing in common and on distinct difference to the previous decade all the players have been productive in college for more than one year.

DesertFox24
12-06-2012, 09:42 AM
Of course a guy can come in & rebuild in less than 3 years! All the Bills need to win are a QB & a competent coaching staff. Select the right coach & QB, re-sign the key free agents and this team is a winner next season. Stay the course with Gailey & Fitzpatrick & we're a loser again. This is the 21st century-rookie QBs come in and teams go from losers to winners the very next season-just look at what a new coach & QB are doing in Indy & the coach has been ill virtually the whole season. Look at the recent 1 season turn arounds & wake up to this 3 year nonsense:
2012 Colts: New coach, new rookie QB: 2-14 in 2011, playoffs 2012
2012 Rams: New coach, same QB but not injured for 6 games, 2011 2-14, 2012 5-6-1 so far, major improvement
2011 49ers: New coach, same QB, 2010 6-10, 2011 13-3 makes it all the way to NFC championship game
2011 Broncos: New coach, new starting QB, 2010 4-12, 2011 8-8 win division & playoff game, show enough to attract P. Manning 1 year later and are now Super Bowl contenders in coach's 2nd year.
2008 Dolphins: New coach, new QB (veteran), 2007 1-15, 2008 11-5 win division
2008 Ravens: New coach, new rookie QB, 2007 5-11, 2008 11-5, playoffs & with the coach & QB they've been contenders ever since the change.
I could go on, but I think my point about the 3 year nonsense is proven, and if you still have any doubts that you can turn a team around in far less than 3 years, then explain how 2 expansion teams in 1995 made it to the conference championship games in 1996.

Now look at Bills history with coaches 3 years or less on the job. Do you really think more time would have helped: Williams, Bullough, Stephenson, Ringo, Johnson, Rauch, Collier and Ramsey? About the only guy you could make a case for is Mularkey & he quit. All the others never got another NFL HC gig again.

Fantastic job listing 5 examples of a new coach inheriting a bad team in previous years and turning them around. Granted the Colts and Rams have not made the playoffs, colts probably will Rams will not.

One other thing you missed is that those teams with the exception of the colts were elite on one side of the ball and NEWSFLASH (love that word) all the talent on that side of the ball was drafted by the previous regime.

49ners hire an Offensive coach but they have the best defense in the league
Broncos hire def coach and have top 5 def and best running game in the league
Dolphins got lucky because Brady went down for year and bills and jets were terrible that year
Ravens elite defense and great running game a rookie QBs best friend

The only one that breaks this mold is this years Colts and guess what they just happened to draft the highest rated QB prospect to come out since 83 John Elway so please stop...

Those turnarounds have more to do with talent on the team than it does coaching.

Yes coaching is important as Harbough developed a system around Smith's strengths and did not ask him to do much at all, so yes great coaching.

Now I agree previous regimes with the exception of Mularky were horrible. I really think had Mularky stayed and we hired a legit GM we would ahve been in the playoffs by now.

Ralph screwed up several times no doubt but I love the hire of Nix because he is a scout has a proven track record and was also a head coach and an assistant under some really good coaches so he has some knowledge in that aspect as well.

No I was not enamored by the Gailey hire but I do like that he gives us a chance on offense every weak with our bad QB. He seems to have answers and plays to his players strengths does not ask them to do things they can not do. Def was horrible early in the year but has steadily progressed and maybe it has to do with new scheme clicking, Mario healthy, and young players getting over making mistakes and learning.

4 games left if we finish 8-8 or better that is improvement and deserves praise. If you look at history there are more cases of bad teams building and transitioning to becoming a winning team than the cases you mentioned of instant turnaround.

I would also like to point out that the colts were a 13 win team with Peyton the year before and then all of sudden are a 1 win team. Yeah they did not tank for luck at all.

EDS
12-06-2012, 11:01 AM
Fantastic job listing 5 examples of a new coach inheriting a bad team in previous years and turning them around. Granted the Colts and Rams have not made the playoffs, colts probably will Rams will not.

One other thing you missed is that those teams with the exception of the colts were elite on one side of the ball and NEWSFLASH (love that word) all the talent on that side of the ball was drafted by the previous regime.

49ners hire an Offensive coach but they have the best defense in the league
Broncos hire def coach and have top 5 def and best running game in the league
Dolphins got lucky because Brady went down for year and bills and jets were terrible that year
Ravens elite defense and great running game a rookie QBs best friend

The only one that breaks this mold is this years Colts and guess what they just happened to draft the highest rated QB prospect to come out since 83 John Elway so please stop...

Those turnarounds have more to do with talent on the team than it does coaching.

Yes coaching is important as Harbough developed a system around Smith's strengths and did not ask him to do much at all, so yes great coaching.

Now I agree previous regimes with the exception of Mularky were horrible. I really think had Mularky stayed and we hired a legit GM we would ahve been in the playoffs by now.

Ralph screwed up several times no doubt but I love the hire of Nix because he is a scout has a proven track record and was also a head coach and an assistant under some really good coaches so he has some knowledge in that aspect as well.

No I was not enamored by the Gailey hire but I do like that he gives us a chance on offense every weak with our bad QB. He seems to have answers and plays to his players strengths does not ask them to do things they can not do. Def was horrible early in the year but has steadily progressed and maybe it has to do with new scheme clicking, Mario healthy, and young players getting over making mistakes and learning.

4 games left if we finish 8-8 or better that is improvement and deserves praise. If you look at history there are more cases of bad teams building and transitioning to becoming a winning team than the cases you mentioned of instant turnaround.

I would also like to point out that the colts were a 13 win team with Peyton the year before and then all of sudden are a 1 win team. Yeah they did not tank for luck at all.

With respect to your comments regarding the 2011 49ers and Broncos, I note the following:

49ers - Drafted some nobody named Aldon Smith (30+ sacks in first two seasons) and inserted 2010 3rd round draft pick previously in back-up role into starting D line-up with great success. In addition, made smart free agent acquisitions by bringing in new #1 corner (Rogers) and starting safety (Whitner) while drafting secondary depth (including nickelback). Also, in prior season to new regime the defense was middle of the back in terms of yards per game and points per game, and we all know moving up from mediocre to excellent is much harder than going from terrible to mediocre.

Broncos - Had the 26th rated running game in the league prior to new regime (and their leading rusher was an awful Moreno), so obviously the new regime needed to bring in a new tailback, etc. Also the defense prior to Fox's arrival was ranked LAST in yards and points per game!!!!!! Had to have the smarts to draft Von Miller, insert Woodyard into starting line-up and revamp aging secondary and defenive line. Not to mention find a QB. Fox, it should be noted, had the whereithal and foresight to bench a mediocre veteran (Orton, who is a clone of Fitz) and revamp his offense first around Tebow and now around Manning. This is inconstrast to Gailey who plugs round pegs into square holes.

trapezeus
12-06-2012, 11:26 AM
all i'm saying is that from a fans perspective it was getting clearer to start fitz over edwards. but if you are the coach, edwards is probably the better qb arm wise. he can make the throws...he chose not to. I'm sure, you want to "coach" him to play better. but after the first two weeks, it was clear he wasn't to change his style...so they changed to a weaker QB but a better field general

but that story is playing out again. fitz is tapped out. he hit his ceiling. even getting him to play mistake free boring football makes it hard on the running game...which still succeeds. you get a mildly better qb, and i think this offense get become dominating if the coach doesn't make bone headed mistakes at key moments.

Mr. Pink
12-06-2012, 01:35 PM

Dicks playing not to lose worked to a certain degree but that philosophy went down the toilet as proven by the decline of the team in the year he was fired.

The strength of the offense when Dick was here was running the football. We ran the football plenty. He hid Losman as much as possible and then hid Edwards as much as possible. TO was a useless signing other than to sell some jerseys and tickets.

better days
12-06-2012, 01:43 PM
The strength of the offense when Dick was here was running the football. We ran the football plenty. He hid Losman as much as possible and then hid Edwards as much as possible. TO was a useless signing other than to sell some jerseys and tickets.

TO was a usless signing because Trent couldn't/wouldn't throw him the ball.

justasportsfan
12-06-2012, 01:58 PM
The strength of the offense when Dick was here was running the football. We ran the football plenty. He hid Losman as much as possible and then hid Edwards as much as possible. TO was a useless signing other than to sell some jerseys and tickets.I've posted the nos in the past about the TD's going up when Fitz was the qb.

So why then did Dick ask to sign TO? If running was our strength then he could have saved that roster spot and used it to bolster our running game even further.TO signing wasn't useless. Dick made it useless with his play not to lose philosophy.

The entire team played better when Fewell was the Coach.

Dick held this team back. Doesn't matter if our running game was our so called strength because his philosophy was weakness of this team. Teams PUBLICLY said they knew what was coming under Dick.

Once again, how does practicing vs the 4-3 when your team is playing a 3-4 D play to our strength? Your offense becomes totally clueless on gameday.

Extremebillsfan247
12-06-2012, 02:06 PM

Point blank. Period.

This thread should have ended here. Things have not improved, they have gotten worse. You're right. JMO

DesertFox24
12-06-2012, 02:17 PM
As Nix has said building through the draft takes time and sometimes fecal fans can not take it.

From 1999 to 2000 we are the product of not sucking enough to get enough elite talent and bad management.

I think Nix is a good GM and I think we have a good scouting department. Modrak or whoever called the shots was not very good clearly.

We had a dearth of talent and could not compete with the big boys. I believe now we have some good players and some young players with the potential to get us to a point where we can compete annually for a playoff spot and that is what I want.

I want a 90s style run where we go to playoffs 8 years out of 10, I do not want to mortgage the future on high priced FA or trade up really high and draft a guy and give up a bunch of first rounders. Could you image what kind of shape the skins would be in if RG3 fails or regresses like Cam. I do not think he will because RG3 is a thrower who can run, but if he does bomb that franchise will be set back for 7 years.

BillsFever21
12-06-2012, 10:34 PM
Well, Fitz was only the starter at the end of 09 because Jauron had been fired. If Jauron was still HC of the Bills today, Trent would still be his starter. Trent fooled Chan with his good play in practice & meaningless games, but at least when the live bullets started to fly, Chan had the good sense to not only bench Trent, but to cut him as well.

So your basis of proclaiming Gailey as a good coach is

1. Our losses are more exciting because we score more points in them.

2. Gailey was "smart" enough to cut Edwards after showing for 4 years that he was a bum at QB and would never succeed anywhere even though he made him the starter to open the season.

3. He had a few late game victories out of 44 in his Bills head coaching career.

Sounds like one hell of a resume to keep him around. We should give him a 5 year contract extension after this season. And no I don't get the feeling that this team can score a TD whenever they have the ball considering we are 16th in points and 17th in yards even with this pathetic schedule we've had. If that's your definition of of a high octane offense then you're not watching any other games.

In Jauron's last full season as HC the Bills averaged 21 points and 206 yards passing a game. The Bills are averaging 23.1 and 198.5 yards passing a game. I admit it's a little more exciting to watch but in the end it's just as putrid.

What's worse is the NFL has changed a lot since then and it's even easier to pass then it was 4 years ago AND Gailey is an offensive coach. You would think our success would be much better. But hey it's a little more exciting to watch us lose more games while we average two more points a game. Face it he's a bum and even worse then Jauron was.

Mr. Magoo
12-06-2012, 11:18 PM
Its simple Gailey is a decent OC, but horrible HC.

better days
12-06-2012, 11:33 PM
So your basis of proclaiming Gailey as a good coach is

1. Our losses are more exciting because we score more points in them.

2. Gailey was "smart" enough to cut Edwards after showing for 4 years that he was a bum at QB and would never succeed anywhere even though he made him the starter to open the season.

3. He had a few late game victories out of 44 in his Bills head coaching career.

Sounds like one hell of a resume to keep him around. We should give him a 5 year contract extension after this season. And no I don't get the feeling that this team can score a TD whenever they have the ball considering we are 16th in points and 17th in yards even with this pathetic schedule we've had. If that's your definition of of a high octane offense then you're not watching any other games.

In Jauron's last full season as HC the Bills averaged 21 points and 206 yards passing a game. The Bills are averaging 23.1 and 198.5 yards passing a game. I admit it's a little more exciting to watch but in the end it's just as putrid.

What's worse is the NFL has changed a lot since then and it's even easier to pass then it was 4 years ago AND Gailey is an offensive coach. You would think our success would be much better. But hey it's a little more exciting to watch us lose more games while we average two more points a game. Face it he's a bum and even worse then Jauron was.

I'm not proclaiming Gailey is a good HC, I'm proclaiming he is a better HC than Jauron was. And if Gailey is fired, the Bills could hire someone even worse.

Mr. Pink
12-07-2012, 12:21 AM
I'm not proclaiming Gailey is a good HC, I'm proclaiming he is a better HC than Jauron was. And if Gailey is fired, the Bills could hire someone even worse.

We have more talent on the field now than 5 years ago and we have a worse record in the standings.

The team overachieved under Jauron and has underachieved or played to how good they are under Gailey.

There's no way anyone can try to claim the roster, even last season, is worse or even just as good as it was back in 07.

Mr. Pink
12-07-2012, 12:25 AM
I've posted the nos in the past about the TD's going up when Fitz was the qb.

So why then did Dick ask to sign TO? If running was our strength then he could have saved that roster spot and used it to bolster our running game even further.TO signing wasn't useless. Dick made it useless with his play not to lose philosophy.

The entire team played better when Fewell was the Coach.

Dick held this team back. Doesn't matter if our running game was our so called strength because his philosophy was weakness of this team. Teams PUBLICLY said they knew what was coming under Dick.

Once again, how does practicing vs the 4-3 when your team is playing a 3-4 D play to our strength? Your offense becomes totally clueless on gameday.

How do you know who asked to sign TO? It could have been a Russ Brandon decision to sell tickets. It worked in the business aspect of things, not the football aspect. We didn't have a QB worth a dam to utilize TO's abilities but he gave the fanbase optimism and sold tickets.

Even when we were practicing against the 4-3 when the opposition ran a 3-4 we had a better overall record then than we do now. Of course, year 3 of Gailey might return us in the standings to where Dick had the team.

So Gailey inherited a perennial 7-9 team, which I don't think anyone will question and then took 3 years to make them a 7-9 team again? And people want to call that progress? Or that he's doing a better job?

better days
12-07-2012, 12:43 AM
We have more talent on the field now than 5 years ago and we have a worse record in the standings.

The team overachieved under Jauron and has underachieved or played to how good they are under Gailey.

There's no way anyone can try to claim the roster, even last season, is worse or even just as good as it was back in 07.

When Nix & Gailey took over, the team was populated with LOSERS Jauron loved. It has taken them time to rebuild the team, but it is headed in the right direction. At least there are some playmakers on this team.

Historian
12-07-2012, 05:35 AM
You know the worst thing?

I really don't care whether they stay or go.

That's sad.

EDS
12-07-2012, 08:58 AM
When Nix & Gailey took over, the team was populated with LOSERS Jauron loved. It has taken them time to rebuild the team, but it is headed in the right direction. At least there are some playmakers on this team.

In three years the "playmakers" Buddy has brought in are? I will give you Spiller and Mario Williams. Who else?

better days
12-07-2012, 09:08 AM
In three years the "playmakers" Buddy has brought in are? I will give you Spiller and Mario Williams. Who else?

Dareus & Gilmore will both be considered playmakers in the future.

gebobs
12-07-2012, 09:14 AM
If only this was tennis. We would almost have a team.

EDS
12-07-2012, 09:59 AM

Maybe. But it is not like Buddy has drafted playmakers in the here and now like Von Miller, Aldon Smith, A.J. Green, Julio Jones, J.J. Watt, Casey Hawward, Ron Gronkoswki, Bobby Wagner, Chandler Jones, etc.

GingerP
12-07-2012, 10:41 AM
Nix has been in Buffalo for 4 drafts and has had picks #11, #9, #3 and #10. The Bills have been picking in or near the top 10 of every round every year since he got here. It is easier to find players when you have higher picks.

better days
12-07-2012, 11:25 AM
Nix has been in Buffalo for 4 drafts and has had picks #11, #9, #3 and #10. The Bills have been picking in or near the top 10 of every round every year since he got here. It is easier to find players when you have higher picks.

Agreed, but not always the case. Jauron had pretty high picks as well, what have we to show for his top picks?

BertSquirtgum
12-07-2012, 12:09 PM
I hate Gailey because he sucks as a head coach.

ParanoidAndroid
12-08-2012, 09:37 AM
The only column that matters says it's 100% factual.

It's a results driven league and the results say that 3 years removed from Jauron, Gailey is struggling to get us back to where we were on the W/L with the weakest schedule we've had since 04.

People forget that we were 7-9 three years in a row and then got worse under Jauron. There was no sign of improvement anywhere, only an ageing defense and the exodus of good veterans. I was so bored watching those teams....

Gailey and Nix have actually managed to retool this team with some young talent and we have one of the more respected defensive coordinators in the league and the defense seems to be improving as the season progresses.

This is a case where the win-loss percentage does not tell the whole story.

Mr. Pink
12-09-2012, 03:38 PM
Any apologists left today?

gebobs
12-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Any defense of Gailey is completely moronic. He's never been defensible. Anyone that thought he was never saw what he did at GaTech.

Bangarang
12-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Chan sent the field goal unit out on the field to attempt a 50 yard field goal. He then found out it was 52 yards and instead called a timeout to put the punt unit out on the field. That's Chan Gailey in a nutshell.

Albany,n.y.
12-09-2012, 04:46 PM

Gailey, Nix & their families. Also Bills haters who want Chan Gailey to coach the Bills forever like we used to want for the Jets when Kotite was there.

JoeMama
12-09-2012, 04:56 PM
Has the question posed in the OP been formally withdrawn yet?

It's about as obvious as a punch to the face why there's so much Gailey Hate.

However I take umbrage with the term Gailey Hate since it implies irrational, unjustified anger toward someone who doesn't deserve it.

He deserves it.

I think we can all hold hands, sing Kumbaya, and reach an easy consensus in that regard.

Novacane
12-09-2012, 05:10 PM

They're still here.

MikeInRoch
12-09-2012, 05:30 PM
8 touches for CJ Spiller. GTFO Chan.

BertSquirtgum
12-09-2012, 05:34 PM
This guy is a moron. At least Jerry Sullivan asked him why he was such a bad head coach.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Chan-Gailey-Postgame-Press-Conference/22040781-367a-47d3-bc0b-b915c462cbe7

BertSquirtgum
12-09-2012, 05:41 PM
CJ wants the ball more. I can hear the beginning sounds of resentment in his voice.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/CJ_Spiller_Postgame_Press_Conference/f416d526-2d15-4560-b85e-5cc47033d623

DynaPaul
12-10-2012, 08:29 AM
Welp, it's not Fred's turn anymore.

pmoon6
12-10-2012, 08:43 AM
Any apologists left today?I don't think so, but what's really entertaining is to watch the AntiFans spew their crap.. I think the Zone Store needs to restock on Midol and hankies. Maybe more tranquilizers.

trapezeus
12-10-2012, 08:51 AM
honestly, at this point, i hope CJ doesn't touch the ball much more for these last 3 games. no point in getting him hurt. no point in even trying to destroy our pathetic draft slot as it is.

I'd love to see CJ get IR'd for rest of season so that he's fresh for next year with a coach who understands when to run, when to pass and when to play action.