PDA

View Full Version : Bills record under Gailey/Fitz in 1 score games

D2K
12-07-2012, 03:50 PM
So after reading an article about how the Falcons are an absurd 7-1 in games decided by 1 score or less (1-8 pts) I decided to do some research about our Bills and how they fare in games decided by 1 score. That stat is one of the best indicators of not only future success, but also how clutch/well coached your team is and how good your QB is under pressure. As I am sure you all can gather, we are abysmal in this area.

So I initially started with just the 2012 season through 12 games. The Bills are 2-3 this year in games decided by 1 score.

19-16 win @ Cards

35-34 loss vs. Titans

37-31 loss @ Pats

19-14 win vs. Phins

20-13 loss @ Colts

Now that is not exactly horrible, but its definetely not good. For them to be sub .500 in a situation where the playoffs are concerned is exactly that...concerning.

So anyway, I didnt stop there. I decided to look at the entire tenure of Chan Gailey and Ryan Fitzpatrick to see exactly how they match-up over their time here. Here is what I came up with:

2011 - the Bills were 3-5

2010 - the Bills were 3-6

So in Chans tenure, with the team within 1 score of victory, his record is a paltry 8-14. Now one of these losses came in 2010 when TE was the QB (a 15-10 loss to the Dolphins @ the Ralph).

Fitz record in his time with the Bills is a pathetic 8-13. The coach is 6 games under .500 and the QB is 5 games under .500 in the 3 years that they have been here. Someone might argue that the defense is responsible for some of this, and while it may seem that way, the fact of the matter is this: Each and every game that I analyzed the score was within 8 points. More than adequate enough for the supposed offensive guru and his 60 million dollar QB to have pulled out wins, or to seal the game before the defense even stepped onto the field.

For a comparison, I went back to 2006 and also ran the same data with regards to the Jauron led teams. Here is what I got from those supposedly much less talented football teams:

2006 - 2-6 (yikes)

2007 - 5-4 (wow a team that won more games than they lost in clutch time)

2008 - 3-3 (respectable and has never been duplicated by the Gailey regime)

2009 - 1-2 (Jauron was fired before the JAX game this season, Fewells record was 1-3)

So Dick Jauron in 1 score games with the Buffalo Bills was 11-15 in his time here. Thats 3 more wins than Gailey has in essentially the same time period.

Until this can be corrected, and we can start winning games when the score is within 8 points, we will never be what we want and expect this team to be. This should be looked at by Nix and co. at the end of the year, and if there is no progress it is time for the HC to go, as well as that dumpster fire that we trot out every week to play the most important position in pro sports.

trapezeus
12-07-2012, 03:55 PM
numbers are interesting. but the problem is that they are only in 1-8 point spreads half the time. that's the bigger problem. and with their record, the chances are that if they aren't close, the bills probably aren't winning. take out hte chiefs games of last year and this year, the majority of those wider spread games are most likely losses.

thanks for running those numbers.

BertSquirtgum
12-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Rams are going to punch this team in the face on Sunday.

GingerP
12-07-2012, 04:43 PM

I don't know, the Bills have been better at home (3-2) than the road (2-5).

Plus, the Rams haven't been good on the road (1-3-1), but have been strong at home (4-3). The numbers should actually be worse, since one of the Rams "home" games was going to London to get crushed by the Patriots.

Dome teams usually don't travel well to cold, outdoor games anyway. The Bills should win this game handily.

kishoph
12-07-2012, 05:55 PM
So I initially started with just the 2012 season through 12 games. The Bills are 2-3 this year in games decided by 1 score.

19-16 win @ Cards

35-34 loss vs. Titans

37-31 loss @ Pats

19-14 win vs. Phins

20-13 loss @ Colts

Now that is not exactly horrible, but its definetely not good. For them to be sub .500 in a situation where the playoffs are concerned is exactly that...concerning.

Another thing those 3 losses had in common was a turnover by Fitzpatrick late in the game, something that has happened all too often this season.

Skooby
12-07-2012, 07:41 PM
I don't know, the Bills have been better at home (3-2) than the road (2-5).

Plus, the Rams haven't been good on the road (1-3-1), but have been strong at home (4-3). The numbers should actually be worse, since one of the Rams "home" games was going to London to get crushed by the Patriots.

Dome teams usually don't travel well to cold, outdoor games anyway. The Bills should win this game handily.

We'll probably win close, not much more.

gebobs
12-11-2012, 05:10 PM

Should read: "Rams are going to punch this team's fans in the face on Sunday." Another late game loss by a Chan't Gailey team.

But but...games are so much more exciting under Chan.

Jayzuz, what a snoozefest that game was. I was praying for it to end.

gebobs
12-11-2012, 05:12 PM
Another thing those 3 losses had in common was a turnover by Fitzpatrick late in the game, something that has happened all too often this season.

And once again this past week. Dunbar could have called a fair catch on that one.