Squandered opportunities - Coaching or Players?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oaf
    Do you read what you write?
    • Jun 2007

Squandered opportunities - Coaching or Players?

1. Fred Jackson fumble in the red zone - Dangit Fred, your fumbles have really cost us man. Don't forget your fumble at the goaline at home against NE, Spiller. Players

2. Gilmore INT - Gilmore picks it off, heading for 6, Kyle Moore touches an offensive lineman who pulls his best soccer impression and draws a foul. 6 off the board. Rams/Refs

3. Clock mismanagement at end of 1st half - Bills at Rams 34 with 1:00 and 3 TOs after the Gilmore INT. THREE screen passes and a RUN are called, burning all three timeouts plus 24 seconds and netting -1 yards. Bills settle for 3. Coaching

4. Rams muffed punt - 9 times of 10, the Bills would have recovered that ball or blocked the punt, but someone the guy makes an athletic play booting it 20 yards upfield. Unfortunately, that's a killshot for the Bills O. True to fashion, from the 37, Fred Jackson for -1, Ryan makes an ugly scramble for 1 yard, Ryan makes an ugly scramble for 2 yards (one of the most frustrating things is when he puts his head down and acts like a punt returner instead of keeping his eyes downfield). One of the side coaches tricks Gailey by saying it's a 50-ydr, so he trots Lindell out. Always one to second-guess his coaches, Gailey inquires and discovers its actually a fifty-TWO yard attempt (6 feet further!!) so calls a timeout to punt instead. There's something about Gailey and going for two-possession leads.. Players AND Coaching

5. two Wilson dropped INTs, final drive - Players

Players 3, Coaches 2. Plenty of blame to be shared on both sides.

- If we could keep Chan's offense without his decision-making, we'd be a lot better off
    - If we had a more naturally-gifted QB, we'd be a lot better off
    - If we had a secondary that didn't all suffer from Leodis-syndrome, we'd be a lot better off
    + front-seven is playing solid football, something to build on in '13
    Last edited by Oaf; 12-09-2012, 05:44 PM.

• BertSquirtgum
    Legendary Zoner
    • May 2009

Re: Squandered opportunities - Coaching or Players?

Originally posted by Oaf View Post
    1. Fred Jackson fumble in the red zone - Dangit Fred, your fumbles have really cost us man. Don't forget your fumble at the goaline at home against NE, Spiller. Players

2. Gilmore INT - Gilmore picks it off, heading for 6, Kyle Moore touches an offensive lineman who pulls his best soccer impression and draws a foul. 6 off the board. Rams/Refs

3. Clock mismanagement at end of 1st half - Bills at Rams 34 with 1:00 and 3 TOs after the Gilmore INT. THREE screen passes and a RUN are called, burning all three timeouts plus 24 seconds and netting -1 yards. Bills settle for 3. Coaching

4. Rams muffed punt - 9 times of 10, the Bills would have recovered that ball or blocked the punt, but someone the guy makes an athletic play booting it 20 yards upfield. Unfortunately, that's a killshot for the Bills O. True to fashion, from the 37, Fred Jackson for -1, Ryan makes an ugly scramble for 1 yard, Ryan makes an ugly scramble for 2 yards (one of the most frustrating things is when he puts his head down and acts like a punt returner instead of keeping his eyes downfield). One of the side coaches tricks Gailey by saying it's a 50-ydr, so he trots Lindell out. Always one to second-guess his coaches, Gailey inquires and discovers its actually a fifty-TWO yard attempt (6 feet further!!) so calls a timeout to punt instead. There's something about Gailey and going for two-possession leads.. Players AND Coaching

- If we could keep Chan's offense without his decision-making, we'd be a lot better off
    - If we had a secondary that didn't all suffer from Leodis-syndrome, we'd be a lot better off
    Coaching lost this game. Plain and simple.

Comment

• gebobs
      One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
      • Sep 2003

Nope. More like Gailey 327 - Fitzpatrick 10 - rest of the players 2.

Wilson might have had a shot at the first pass. The second he was lucky to get a hand on it.
      Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• Owen DeBoard
        • Sep 2007

Dont forget when Fitz threw a ball that slipped out of his hand and his arm was going forward and should of been called the tuck rule but instead the refs called it a fumble on the field and costed us 6 yards and made it 2nd and 16. That should of been challenged by Gailey but it wasnt and made it a thougher to convert which they didnt and punted it away for another 3 and out. Coaches
        To be the man you got to beat the man!

Comment

• Oaf
          • Jun 2007

I thought we did convert that?

It definitely should have been challenged, and I would have counted that as Coaches, but I thought we converted.

Comment

• coastal
            Legendary Zoner
            • Mar 2005

Ralph - infinity

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

Certainly can't blame anything but execution on Wilson's two opportunities to ice the game, but with better coaching it never would have come down to that.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Owen DeBoard
                • Sep 2007

I thought we did convert that?

It definitely should have been challenged, and I would have counted that as Coaches, but I thought we converted.
                Ok I probably am wrong I thought we didnt but still should have been challenged it just goes to show you in a close game they wont challenge a bad call that can be costly.
                To be the man you got to beat the man!

Comment

• Oaf
                  • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Owen DeBoard View Post
                  Ok I probably am wrong I thought we didnt but still should have been challenged it just goes to show you in a close game they wont challenge a bad call that can be costly.
                  You're right, whether we converted or not, that should have been challenged.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                    My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                    • Apr 2004

I think a big reason for this loss is the o-line. Some year, I would like to see an o-line make it through the whole season without losing 3 or 4 or 5 guys to long term injuries.

Comment

• Goobylal
                      • Jan 2004

It was mostly on the players. Fumbles, botched snaps, dropped passes and INT's. Hell George Wilson could have won the game singlehandedly not once, but twice. Gailey sucked, but the players are the ones who play.

Comment

• Buddo
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ParanoidAndroid View Post
                        I think a big reason for this loss is the o-line. Some year, I would like to see an o-line make it through the whole season without losing 3 or 4 or 5 guys to long term injuries.
                        There's a lot in this. I'm surprised that people aren't looking at this more closely. The poor O-Line play screwed the Offense, as much as anything else did tbh.
                        Fingers get pointed at all sorts of people, players/coaches, yet the biggest reason for the loss, doesn't get mentioned.

Comment

• pmoon6
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Owen DeBoard View Post
                          Dont forget when Fitz threw a ball that slipped out of his hand and his arm was going forward and should of been called the tuck rule but instead the refs called it a fumble on the field and costed us 6 yards and made it 2nd and 16. That should of been challenged by Gailey but it wasnt and made it a thougher to convert which they didnt and punted it away for another 3 and out. Coaches
                          We did get a first down after that play, so no harm. That wasn't a tuck rule situation. It was a fumble or forward pass, depending on if his arm was going forward with the ball still in his hand. He was not bringing the ball back down (Tuck). Besides, the tuck rule is a joke.

Comment

• pmoon6
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Buddo View Post
                            There's a lot in this. I'm surprised that people aren't looking at this more closely. The poor O-Line play screwed the Offense, as much as anything else did tbh.
                            Fingers get pointed at all sorts of people, players/coaches, yet the biggest reason for the loss, doesn't get mentioned.
                            Some people are going nuts about Spiller not touching the ball enough and they have a point, but I think Gailey had Fred in there because of his better pass protecting ability and you don't lose much with him as a runner. It's still a headscratcher calling so many pass plays in a close game and ****ty weather when you have arguably the best running back tandem in the NFL.

Comment

• GingerP
                              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by pmoon6 View Post
                              Some people are going nuts about Spiller not touching the ball enough and they have a point, but I think Gailey had Fred in there because of his better pass protecting ability and you don't lose much with him as a runner.
                              1) I disagree you don't lose much as a runner with Fred compared to Spiller. I like Fred, but one guy is averaging 3.8 ypc and the other is averaging 6.6 ypc. So... you lose 2.8 ypc. Spiller is also the one explosive-play guy they have, he makes tons of chunk plays.

2) Pass protection wouldn't be much of an issue if you hand the ball off to Spiller. I'd argue that Spiller is a better receiver as well.

Bottom line is, if you have a guy who is a dynamic talent you get him the ball. Adrian Peterson probably isn't the best back in the NFL in pass protection either, but he gets the ball. The Bills have one guy on offense that truly scares teams, and that is Spiller. There is no excuse for him to be a role player.

Comment

Working...
                              X