The Simple Truth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

The Simple Truth

I said a while ago that I was finished caring about the Bills, and done wasting my time posting about them, and I basically am. But I have watched a few agonizing games since then - not expecting much, and therefore not being that disappointed with the excruciating losses - and have come to a very simple conclusion.

We spend mega-hours discussing and arguing about Fitz and Gailey, Nix and Ralph, our inexperienced cornerbacks, pedestrian wide receiver corps, mediocre linebacking, injuries to the offensive line and elsewhere, and the minutia of individual games - should Wilson have made that interception, etc., etc.

But the reason I have given up on the Bills is that no team has ever won anything with the lethal combination of a totally incompetent head coach and an equally lousy quarterback, which is exactly what we have. No matter what happens at any other position on the field, the sidelines or the front office, we will never win consistently with Gailey calling the shots and Fitz executing them. NEVER.

Sadly, we have had a series of mediocre head coaches and quarterbacks for many, many years now, since the era of Kelly and Levy. We have 13 years of futility, 13 years without a single playoff appearance, to show for our ever changing, yet consistently horrible, combinations of HCs and QBs.

If and when we hire a top flight head coach and acquire - via draft, trade, or free agency - a real quarterback, I will once again be interested in watching the team I have loved for 53 years. Until then - since there is no hope - I will try to stay emotionally disconnected from an organization that appears to have no collective clue as to how to make things better.

I applaud you guys and ladies for continuing to care about the Bills. I simply can't do it until we make major changes at the two positions that control every NFL teams' destiny.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Re: The Simple Truth

This Sunday was the last time (for the season) that my Sunday is built around the Bills game. From here on out if I catch it great if not who cares.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• DynaPaul
      • Sep 2003

No, tickets, merch, or NFL Sunday ticket for me next year. Hope you're happy Ralph and Russ!

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
        • Jul 2002

A top flight head coach comes in and will leave no stone unturned in order to upgrade (or at least try to upgrade) the QB position. They usually either have draft power or the GM is smart enough to know that the new HC needs help at QB. Now it's not just the coach's doing, but great head coaches don't settle at QB & neither do the decision makers above them.
        Here's what recent top flight coaches in conjunction with their GMs have done while the Nix/Gailey record is to be satisfied with Fitzpatrick & sleep betwewen rounds on draft days:
        John Harbaugh (who has one of the best GMs in Newsome)-trades up in 1st round for Flacco in Harbaugh's 1st season
        Jim Harbaugh -Has Alex Smith & decides to work with him, but personally visits & loves Kaepernick & before he has ever coached a game in SF, trades up to draft his guy Kaepernick
        John Fox- Stuck with Tebow his 1st season in Denver, he gets Peyton Manning to make the team a legit Super Bowl contender
        Mike Shanahan-Moves heaven & earth (including giving up 3 #1s) to get RGIII.
        Tom Coughlin-Instead of settling for Rivers, makes big trade for Eli Manning. NYG-2 Super Bowls, SD-0 & GM about to be fired
        Also, look at other new coaches who took a shot at franchise QBs early on-while some are the result of the new coach coming to a bad team that had a top pick when there was a QB thought to be worthy of the top pick, good new coaches and their GMs on bad teams don't usually do the Nix/Gailey thing of accepting the QB status quo & making little to no attempt at upgrading the QB position. They came in with a depth chart of Edwards/Fitzpatrick/Brohm and all they did in the last 3 years is draft Levi Brown in the 7th round their 1st year cut Edwards after naming him the starter, sign Thigpen, re-sign Fitzpatrick, sign & cut Young & trade for Jackson then inactivate him every game. Meanwhile the good coaches & GMs have been drafting QBs in the 1st 3 rounds, of which many are starting, while our guys have been satisfied with the status quo or pretty darn close to status quo.
        Last edited by Albany,n.y.; 12-10-2012, 08:16 AM.

Comment

• dannyek71
          Drink Responsibly
          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Jan Reimers View Post
          I said a while ago that I was finished caring about the Bills, and done wasting my time posting about them, and I basically am. But I have watched a few agonizing games since then - not expecting much, and therefore not being that disappointed with the excruciating losses - and have come to a very simple conclusion.

I applaud you guys and ladies for continuing to care about the Bills. I simply can't do it until we make major changes at the two positions that control every NFL teams' destiny.
          Who cares about fair weathered fans.

When this team is doing well and winning (It WILL happen one day) you will come crawling back saying how you supported them all along. Yea, our team sucks. It has for years. Look at the bandwagon the Cheatriots have. Where were they for most of the 90s?

Close the door behind you and don't come back.
          Last edited by dannyek71; 12-10-2012, 08:17 AM.
          [

Comment

• TacklingDummy
            Unreachable Douche
            • Jul 2002

Levy-Kelly
            Belicheck-Brady
            Shula-Marino
            Walsh-Montana
            Siefert-Young
            Reeves-Elway
            Dungy-Manning
            Johnson-Akiman
            Coughman-Manning
            Reid-McNabb
            Coryell-Fouts
            Holgren-Farve
            Etc...

Bills coaches past 16 years: Fitzpatrick, Losman, Edwards, Holcomb, Brohm, Bledsoe, Robosack, Van Pelt, Collins, and Flutie. Anymore questions?

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
              My battery is low and it's getting dark.
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by dannyek71 View Post

When this team is doing well and winning (It WILL happen one day) you will come crawling back saying how you supported them all along. Yea, our team sucks. It has for years. Look at the bandwagon the Cheatriots have. Where were they for most of the 90s?

Saints.... it took them 20 years before they finally played a playoff game.

Cardinals went 50 years before they won a playoff game.

Comment

• Night Train
                Retired - On Several Levels
                • Jul 2005

I went from owning Club Seats to DVRing games and watching them later while doing other stuff Sunday.

When Ralph is out of the picture, let me know.

I enjoy college football far more these days.
                Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                  Unreachable Douche
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                  I went from owning Club Seats to DVRing games and watching them later while doing other stuff Sunday.

my interest in the NFL over the past 16 years has been dwindling. I'm a Bills fan and I don't watch much of any other games besides highlights. This pAst weekend I didn't watch any football. I kept track of the bills game on espn. Haven't seen any highlights either. I guess I just don't care about sports as much as I did when I was younger. If they win, they win, if they lose they lose. Life goes on.
                  Last edited by TacklingDummy; 12-10-2012, 09:20 AM.

Comment

• Typ0
                    honey pie
                    • Jul 2002

Just remember the real demise of franchise hopes was Ralph Wilson telling Fade to fire the ST coach and him refusing...and then RW refusing to pay Fade and firing him.

Remember Thurman Thomas finding out in ESPN he had been cut...blah blah blah I can go on and on.

The core morals and values of the organization needs to change not the coach and the QB. Until the core values change there will be no success...and it's quite an uphill battle to build trust and integrity once it's been destroyed. Call it an organization or human being...you either own up to your demons and attempt to recover or wallow in sickness, denial and blame games. It's not the coach or the QB or GM. The fact is it's Ralph Wilson at the helm that needs to change...

I choose to detach but with love. I know that no matter what I do there will always be a deep lingering hope for the Bills to be a contender again. It's not about the Bills really. It's about the people in Western New York. When I lived there I got it. It may be the most liberating sense of anything binding a culture together than I have ever experienced. I would say the same thing about the Buffalo Sabres and they may end up being the last of a dying breed. So be it let the chips fall as they will. But the people in Western New York have my loyalty and love and I will stand strong and proud forever into eternity with that wonderful sense of human culture they have provided me.

Comment

• Typ0
                      honey pie
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by dannyek71 View Post

Did you just call Jan Reimers a fairweathered fan? Your credibility has been destroyed.

Comment

• bf1
                        • Oct 2010

I'll still watch every game. But the last 13 years wiped every bit of homer out of me.

Comment

• dannyek71
                          Drink Responsibly
                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Typ0 View Post
                          Did you just call Jan Reimers a fairweathered fan? Your credibility has been destroyed.
                          I did. Any fan who quits on the team simply because they loose falls into this category. I don't care how long you've supported the team.

Maybe they've been a fan for decades. I honestly don't follow these boards much anymore.
                          [

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

Ill keep watching, but Im nowhere near invested in the outcome like I have been this year in Notre Dame games. I can't begin to find the words to describe the difference in feeling I have between the Bills and Notre Dame games.
                            COMING SOON...
                            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• HAMMER
                              I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                              • Jul 2003

The Drama Queens are out this morning in droves.

Comment

Working...
                              X