• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

If not Fitz, then who?

I seriously think Fitz will be back next year. I'm not defending him and I don't want him back, but think about it objectively. What are the realistic alternatives? Give me names that are:

a) realistically obtainable and
    b) clearly better than Fitz

I see names like Alex Smith and Jay Cutler being thrown around. Smith is no better than Fitz- he's another stopgap at best. Cutler is more talented than Fitz- that's for damn sure- but he's also prone to some really awful games and hissy fits on the sidelines. Given Gailey's play-calling (assuming he's back), the defense's propensity for implosions and the lack of quality WR's, a couple of Cutler explosions would be inevitable. And that's again assuming that a) Chicago will move him and b) we can afford his contract.

Different isn't necessarily better. I'm so tired of switching QB's for the sake of switching. We need to find someone who is a clear improvement somehow. I know franchise QB's don't grow on trees, but there is no point in making another Collins to Johnson or Bledsoe to Losman or Edwards to Fitz type change. And if we draft someone, Fitz would be a far better mentor than Thigpen or TJax. So, there is no point to making a change until we have a clear upgrade, and I just don't see one out there right now.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: If not Fitz, then who?

Probably a rookie with mobility and an actual arm. To be determined.

Russ Brandon is team President and runs this team now through Ralph/Littman. He also is in charge of marketing this team.

Go ahead and try to market/sell Fitz/Gailey/Nix to the ticket buying public after this junk.

Mission Impossible.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• THRILLHO
      This is great, and all I've done is enter my name!
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
      I seriously think Fitz will be back next year. I'm not defending him and I don't want him back, but think about it objectively. What are the realistic alternatives? Give me names that are:

I see names like Alex Smith and Jay Cutler being thrown around. Smith is no better than Fitz- he's another stopgap at best. Cutler is more talented than Fitz- that's for damn sure- but he's also prone to some really awful games and hissy fits on the sidelines. Given Gailey's play-calling (assuming he's back), the defense's propensity for implosions and the lack of quality WR's, a couple of Cutler explosions would be inevitable. And that's again assuming that a) Chicago will move him and b) we can afford his contract.

Different isn't necessarily better. I'm so tired of switching QB's for the sake of switching. We need to find someone who is a clear improvement somehow. I know franchise QB's don't grow on trees, but there is no point in making another Collins to Johnson or Bledsoe to Losman or Edwards to Fitz type change. And if we draft someone, Fitz would be a far better mentor than Thigpen or TJax. So, there is no point to making a change until we have a clear upgrade, and I just don't see one out there right now.
      I don't see Cutler being moved out of Chicago. What about Rivers?
      True fans want wins, not draft picks.

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
        • Feb 2009

1)Michael Vick
        2) EJ Manuel/Tyler Wilson

Comment

• EDS
          • Jan 2003

I agree that Nix/Gailey have now painted the Bills into a corner with few if any possible QB upgrades available. The only likely option os getting something out of the draft, though unfortunately this draft class does not seem as strong as the past two. If they do their homework and get lucky they might get a Nick Foles type of development guy.

I want absolutely nothing to do with Vick. I would take a chance on Rivers but would not trade anything of value to get him.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
            1)Michael Vick
            2) EJ Manuel/Tyler Wilson
            You are crazy if you think Vick is any better than Fitz at this point in his career.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• TacklingDummy
              Unreachable Douche
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by THRILLHO View Post
              . What about Rivers?
              is he a FA? If not, I'd give SD a 3rd, maybe a 2nd, for him. It couldn't hurt. And I'd still draft a QB, named Barkley, with the 1st pick.
              Last edited by TacklingDummy; 12-10-2012, 09:15 AM.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by THRILLHO View Post
                I don't see Cutler being moved out of Chicago. What about Rivers?
                I see Rivers as a case of being better, but still not good enough. He'd probably get a few more wins than Fitz but would struggle to get us into the playoffs and still won't win a SB.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
                  • Feb 2009

You are crazy if you think Vick is any better than Fitz at this point in his career.
                  Well you did say "reasonably obtainable" and going on the assumption Gailey is not back next season I do think Vick is a better QB than Fitzpatrick

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
                    Well you did say "reasonably obtainable" and going on the assumption Gailey is not back next season I do think Vick is a better QB than Fitzpatrick
                    I disagree. His legs aren't the asset that they were in the past and he's just as turnover-prone as Fitz, if not more so.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Typ0
                      honey pie
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                      Probably a rookie with mobility and an actual arm. To be determined.

Russ Brandon is team President and runs this team now through Ralph/Littman. He also is in charge of marketing this team.

Go ahead and try to market/sell Fitz/Gailey/Nix to the ticket buying public after this junk.

Mission Impossible.
                      They do have something right though! This thing you are highlighting...well they have gotten to a point they can't sell change either because they have done it too many times. I don't think your argument holds water really...they need to stick it out with someone but they need the right guy to be there not the wrong guy!

Comment

• gebobs
                        One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
                        • Sep 2003

Vick isn't what he was, but he's much better than Fitz. Heck, I'd sign Vick's mother to take over for Fitz.

Still, I'd rather muddle through than get that jackalope.
                        Last edited by gebobs; 12-10-2012, 09:49 AM.
                        Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                          • Jul 2005

Good post Op. I agree, change for the sake of change will only set us back further. I think Fitz is close to as good as it gets outside the top ten QB category. And unfortunately, it's really only the teams with a top ten QB that are consistently winning. No point in switching to another retread. And I don't see a rookie in this years class that would be an automatic upgrade.
                          Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

The veteran options;
                            Tavaris Jackson, Matt Flynn, Kirk Cousins, Tony Romo, Phillip Rivers, Mike Vick, Ryan Mallet, TJ Yates

The rookie options:
                            Geno Smith, Tyler Wilson, Matt Barkley, Zac Dysert, Ryan Nassib, EJ Manuel, Landry Jones, Mike Glennon, Sean Renfree, Matt Scott, Ryan Aplin
                            COMING SOON...
                            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

anyone who can hit a deep ball. With a running game like we have, it will open things up for the deep ball. With Fitz it's the same crap. He cant make teams pay with a deep ball if they play to stop the run.
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X