PDA

View Full Version : On Spiller getting 8 touches only

ghz in pittsburgh
12-10-2012, 02:39 PM
I actually agree to Gailey to a certain point. Even Spiller said as much during the post game interview, that Rams D creeps into the box when he's in the backfield. Now do you bang your head against the wall and keep running Spiller or as Gailey alluded to "protect Spiller and run he in the best scenario for the best results?"

Some would argue you still run Spiller no matter what. IT IS A STRATEGY, but it's not what Gailey is known for and certainly it will take some preparation in terms blocking schemes to make it work. It just cannot be done on the fly, changing in a game.

Maybe they will change in the off season refining the strategy. Maybe there will be a new coach coming in specializing running againt 8 or 10 in the box. What really speaks volume is the disrespect theams have for Fitz. I think Gailey said this am on WGR that if you hurt them bad enough (in the passing game/play action), they'll back off. The fact of the matter is they haven't, which means we have not hurt them enough, or at all!

The problem I see from the coaching perspective is that the staff saw what a dynamic player Spiller had become this year, from the 1st game. They probably should change and make him the focal point and develop other games off him. It just didn't happen.

When Gailey was in Pittsburgh, he was known to be an innovator. the popularity of 5 wide in the Steelers was a shocker to all started with him. But he was the OC then. So maybe it is indeed overwhelming for him to function at his best as a HC. So far his best adaptation of using his backs are screen games. Maybe it's the fault of Fitz because in general, if you can get all the defensive attetion to a RB, you passing game should be much easier.

Mr. Pink
12-10-2012, 02:42 PM
First play of the Vikes Bears game...

Chicago has 10 guys in the box. Minnesota hands it to All Day anyway.

51 yard gain.

Impose your will, set the tone and dictate what you're going to do.

Skooby
12-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Maybe we should play scared & not play our best player. Would throwing a 5-7 yard screen back them out of the box?

k-oneputt
12-10-2012, 02:48 PM

51 yard gain.

I was thinking the same thing. You don't think they have them up there looking for Peterson or any other good back.
Let's find out. Give him the ball 25 times for the next three weeks and see what happens.

OpIv37
12-10-2012, 02:56 PM
I actually agree to Gailey to a certain point. Even Spiller said as much during the post game interview, that Rams D creeps into the box when he's in the backfield. Now do you bang your head against the wall and keep running Spiller or as Gailey alluded to "protect Spiller and run he in the best scenario for the best results?"

Some would argue you still run Spiller no matter what. IT IS A STRATEGY, but it's not what Gailey is known for and certainly it will take some preparation in terms blocking schemes to make it work. It just cannot be done on the fly, changing in a game.

Maybe they will change in the off season refining the strategy. Maybe there will be a new coach coming in specializing running againt 8 or 10 in the box. What really speaks volume is the disrespect theams have for Fitz. I think Gailey said this am on WGR that if you hurt them bad enough (in the passing game/play action), they'll back off. The fact of the matter is they haven't, which means we have not hurt them enough, or at all!

The problem I see from the coaching perspective is that the staff saw what a dynamic player Spiller had become this year, from the 1st game. They probably should change and make him the focal point and develop other games off him. It just didn't happen.

When Gailey was in Pittsburgh, he was known to be an innovator. the popularity of 5 wide in the Steelers was a shocker to all started with him. But he was the OC then. So maybe it is indeed overwhelming for him to function at his best as a HC. So far his best adaptation of using his backs are screen games. Maybe it's the fault of Fitz because in general, if you can get all the defensive attetion to a RB, you passing game should be much easier.

a GOOD team would keep Spiller on the field, run it a few times and force them to make the stop, kill them with a few down the field passes, then start running again when they were forced to back out of the box.

But nah, we don't have the talent for that....

GingerP
12-10-2012, 02:58 PM
This is the dumbest argument ever. Forget touches, he isn't even on the field for more than half the game.

Why not have Spiller in the game? Even if you don't want to run into a loaded front, if having Spiller in there makes them bring a S down in the box, why not take advantage of that? Run play-action and expose them for not having enough defenders in the secondary to defend the pass?

Only a stupid coach does the defenses job for them and takes his best player out of the game. There is no explaining it, other than saying it is dumb.

RoanokeVABillsFan
12-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Why can't you put Fred in the backfield and C.J. in the slot or both in the backfield and send C.J. in motion and isolate him on a Linebacker? Sorry, I don't agree with the OP. There are options besides smacking him into the wall. And remember, if you do find a seam in that wall, it's always a long gain which is this backs specialty so why don't you try it more than a couple of times. Think how Thurman Thomas and Marshall Faulk were used. They just didn't run screen passes for them in the passing game either. C.J. standing on the sideline is not an option for an offense that is dying for plays to be made.

Mr. Miyagi
12-10-2012, 03:13 PM

51 yard gain.

Exactly my point. Let your best players play instead of outsmarting yourself.

Oh look he's going to do scissors so I better do rock but then he will do paper so I better do scissors then he will think that so he'll do rock so I'll beat him if I do paper. Oh crap I lose again.

colin
12-10-2012, 03:23 PM
the other thing is chan't is telling the nfl Ds that if you put 8 in the box, not only do you eliminate the bills best offensive weapon, but you know a pass is coming. you can then have your safety in the box rotate over the TE and basically play pass d vs a pass. big surprise we aren't good on O.

SABURZFAN
12-10-2012, 04:25 PM
you heard Gailey. he was winded.

elkhunter
12-10-2012, 04:46 PM
+1

Ingtar33
12-10-2012, 10:15 PM

51 yard gain.

I agree completely. Make them stop you before you change your plans. Don't just concede the running game and your best weapon just because you think they're planning to take him away.

Beebe
12-10-2012, 11:46 PM
The same thing happened to Barry Sanders on every play were they stacked the box and they still ran it.

Beebe
12-10-2012, 11:50 PM
Guess what's going to happen next week when C.J. is on the field there going to bring the house.