PDA

View Full Version : A funny trend regarding our GMs over the last 10 years...

JoeMama
12-10-2012, 02:56 PM
This is something that struck me as funny (in a bad way).

Has anyone noticed that our general managers tend to hire coaches who remind them of themselves?

Tom Donahoe was rumored to be a borderline OCD workaholic who dedicated countless hours to the front office. Lo and behold, he went out and hired Gregg Williams; who not unlike TD was also a workaholic with an almost OCD penchant for order, discipline, and organization. Anyone remember GW's bull horn? Or his infamous "list of potential assistant coaches" that was 10 men deep at every single position?

Marv Levy was revered as a fiercely intelligent, cerebral coach with a reputation to go easy on the players and treat them like men. Who else does he hire but no other than Ive League egghead and notorious player's coach, Dick Jauron. And just like Levy's failed stint in Kansas City, Dick Jauron also had one failed stint as head coach prior to signing with Buffalo.

Buddy Nix is a career long football guy from the deep south. Doesn't like the politics of it. Doesn't like the business side of it. Just likes to evaluate personnel and is widely regarded as a straight shooter. And of course, he rejected overtures to hire Billick and Schotty because he felt like he had an immediate rapport with another curmudgeonly southerner name Chan Gailey who shared his straightforward, no BS attitude about the game of football.

It seems like our franchise is driven and derided by vanity. Our GM's just want mini-versions of themselves on the sidelines.

You may have also noticed that it hasn't worked out very well.

Joe Fo Sho
12-10-2012, 03:02 PM
What kind of person was Polian compared to Levy? Whatever they had going on seemed to work.

I wonder if there are any other trends like this on other teams?

I mean, Pioli was the 'GM' for Belichick, and they're both *******s. Now Belichick is his own GM, probably because he couldn't find anyone who's a bigger piece of **** than he is.

Mr. Miyagi
12-10-2012, 03:02 PM
I'm hating the Bills these days but I don't think that's unusual at all. People like to hire and be around people who share their own philosophies and interests.

trapezeus
12-10-2012, 03:10 PM
but i guess it means we have to find a GM who isn't in the vain of Russ' image. someone who is a winner and understands the game.

Ingtar33
12-10-2012, 10:21 PM
What kind of person was Polian compared to Levy? Whatever they had going on seemed to work.

Marv was the guy who trained Polian up in Montreal... he was the guy who mentored him and brought him into the "front office" side of football. I still think to this day Bill was simply repaying the favor by bringing Marv into a terrible situation in buffalo... one more shot at coaching in the NFL type of thing... and caught lightning in a bottle.

Albany,n.y.
12-10-2012, 10:41 PM
Marv was the guy who trained Polian up in Montreal... he was the guy who mentored him and brought him into the "front office" side of football. I still think to this day Bill was simply repaying the favor by bringing Marv into a terrible situation in buffalo... one more shot at coaching in the NFL type of thing... and caught lightning in a bottle.

Terrible situation? The team was on the rise with a terrific draft in 1985 & the Kelly signing before Marv was brought in. Marv was as good as in as head coach the minute that Polian was named GM. It wasn't as much repaying a favor as much as Polian had a genuine respect for Marv. The strangest thing about the whole Levy hiring was that anyone who read Polian's bio in the 1986 media guide could tell than Hank Bullough wasn't long for coaching in Buffalo. Polian's bio mentioned his ties to Levy: "Polian joined the Bills in August of 1984 after working for one year as player personnel director of the USFL Chicago Blitz. In Chicago, Polian was associated with head coach Marv Levy, with whom he had previously worked in both Montreal of the Canadian League, as a U.S. scout during the 1976-77 seasons, and Kansas City, as a pro scout from 1978-1982."

Historian
12-11-2012, 07:43 AM
Don't discount the demise of the USFL.

Gave us our QB, C, K.

I think we even got Cribbs back for a second.

Albany,n.y.
12-11-2012, 08:21 AM

Gave us our QB, C, K.

Ray Bentley had his moments too. Also, Marv got some assistant coaches with USFL backgrounds & the Bills hired scouts like John Butler & A. J. Smith who both were with Polian & Marv in Chicago.

pmoon6
12-11-2012, 08:32 AM

Has anyone noticed that our general managers tend to hire coaches who remind them of themselves?

Tom Donahoe was rumored to be a borderline OCD workaholic who dedicated countless hours to the front office. Lo and behold, he went out and hired Gregg Williams; who not unlike TD was also a workaholic with an almost OCD penchant for order, discipline, and organization. Anyone remember GW's bull horn? Or his infamous "list of potential assistant coaches" that was 10 men deep at every single position?

Marv Levy was revered as a fiercely intelligent, cerebral coach with a reputation to go easy on the players and treat them like men. Who else does he hire but no other than Ive League egghead and notorious player's coach, Dick Jauron. And just like Levy's failed stint in Kansas City, Dick Jauron also had one failed stint as head coach prior to signing with Buffalo.

Buddy Nix is a career long football guy from the deep south. Doesn't like the politics of it. Doesn't like the business side of it. Just likes to evaluate personnel and is widely regarded as a straight shooter. And of course, he rejected overtures to hire Billick and Schotty because he felt like he had an immediate rapport with another curmudgeonly southerner name Chan Gailey who shared his straightforward, no BS attitude about the game of football.

It seems like our franchise is driven and derided by vanity. Our GM's just want mini-versions of themselves on the sidelines.

You may have also noticed that it hasn't worked out very well.Interesting point. I will point out that Bill Belichick is the same as Williams and Donahoe. So was Joe Gibbs in the 80's and 90's.

Albany,n.y.
12-11-2012, 08:47 AM
Interesting point. I will point out that Bill Belichick is the same as Williams and Donahoe. So was Joe Gibbs in the 80's and 90's.

I'm guessing that if you put both BB & Gregg in a room and gave each of them the Wonderlic, Belichick's score would double Williams' .

pmoon6
12-11-2012, 09:09 AM
Terrible situation? The team was on the rise with a terrific draft in 1985 & the Kelly signing before Marv was brought in. Marv was as good as in as head coach the minute that Polian was named GM. It wasn't as much repaying a favor as much as Polian had a genuine respect for Marv. The strangest thing about the whole Levy hiring was that anyone who read Polian's bio in the 1986 media guide could tell than Hank Bullough wasn't long for coaching in Buffalo. Polian's bio mentioned his ties to Levy: "Polian joined the Bills in August of 1984 after working for one year as player personnel director of the USFL Chicago Blitz. In Chicago, Polian was associated with head coach Marv Levy, with whom he had previously worked in both Montreal of the Canadian League, as a U.S. scout during the 1976-77 seasons, and Kansas City, as a pro scout from 1978-1982."Well, Bullough lost the players almost instantly. His practices were brutal and he would berate them when they lost, calling them "a bunch of low lives". Bruce Smith had enough and looked at Bullough coming in from practice one day and said "Hi Hank, you **** stick". Ole Hank was dumbfounded (not uncharacteristic) so he just stared at him. Bruce said "Don't give me that brook trout look, you fat blob of ****". The rest of the team shouted encouragement for Bruce and wanted him to whip Bullough's ass. He was fired shortly afterwards.

pmoon6
12-11-2012, 09:14 AM
I'm guessing that if you put both BB & Gregg in a room and gave each of them the Wonderlic, Belichick's score would double Williams' .Probably so. Even though I hate the Patriots', I have great respect for Belichick. He can probably go back to the 50's and tell you about every defense played since. A true student of the game.

However, he was talking about workaholics and attention to detail. Belichick fits that to a tee.

DynaPaul
12-11-2012, 09:47 AM

I wonder if there are any other trends like this on other teams?

I mean, Pioli was the 'GM' for Belichick, and they're both *******s. Now Belichick is his own GM, probably because he couldn't find anyone who's a bigger piece of **** than he is.

New England rarely hires from the outside because that's another person that they have to trust with the knowledge of their secret spy system. That's also why all the coordinators who left New England have been failures on other teams.

cookie G
12-11-2012, 10:59 AM
However, he was talking about workaholics and attention to detail. Belichick fits that to a tee.

Most coaches are. There is something about football coaches that lends itself to an 18-20 hour day.

They'll study tape for hours, days, weeks, months..

then throw a screen pass 3 times in a row, when the defense has stacked itself to the outside. :)

Bill Snyder's attention to detail has become legendary.

-when they once asked his son how many father's days he spent with his dad, he replied "0".

-he tried to have himself hypnotized to get by on an hour or 2 of sleep;
-he once demanded that soft butter be served at the players' table because he thought it was better for digestion;
-his players have to wipe their feet before entering the training facility;
-he had an assistant research what side of the plane would be better for the players to sit, to keep the sun from bothering them;

AT 74, he's still like that. After a game this fall, a reporter asked him what he'd be doing on his birthday, (the next day). He just pointed to his office and said, "I'll be right there".

As far as personalities go...he's one that seems to hire opposites of him. He's got that stoic, grandfatherly look about him (though I'd never want to cross him), but his assistants seem to be the fiery types. See the Stoops Bros. and Mark Mangino.

PS...good to see you again.

PPS. My oldest got his first buck a week ago. 8 pointer, from a tree stand, 30.06 at about 150 yards. He went with some friends of mine who are avid hunters (and very responsible).

Venison Stew!!

pmoon6
12-11-2012, 11:31 AM
Most coaches are. There is something about football coaches that lends itself to an 18-20 hour day.

They'll study tape for hours, days, weeks, months..

then throw a screen pass 3 times in a row, when the defense has stacked itself to the outside. :)

Bill Snyder's attention to detail has become legendary.

-when they once asked his son how many father's days he spent with his dad, he replied "0".

-he tried to have himself hypnotized to get by on an hour or 2 of sleep;
-he once demanded that soft butter be served at the players' table because he thought it was better for digestion;
-his players have to wipe their feet before entering the training facility;
-he had an assistant research what side of the plane would be better for the players to sit, to keep the sun from bothering them;

AT 74, he's still like that. After a game this fall, a reporter asked him what he'd be doing on his birthday, (the next day). He just pointed to his office and said, "I'll be right there".

As far as personalities go...he's one that seems to hire opposites of him. He's got that stoic, grandfatherly look about him (though I'd never want to cross him), but his assistants seem to be the fiery types. See the Stoops Bros. and Mark Mangino.

PS...good to see you again.

PPS. My oldest got his first buck a week ago. 8 pointer, from a tree stand, 30.06 at about 150 yards. He went with some friends of mine who are avid hunters (and very responsible).

Venison Stew!!Good to see you, as well. I didn't get to hunt big game this year. Really missed it, but it looks like another mild winter. No snow so far. The elk are still over 11,000 feet, so I didn't miss anything except the adventure. Congratulations to your boy, I hope this leaves him with a lifelong passion for the Great Spirit Of the Wild!!

SABURZFAN
12-11-2012, 06:06 PM

Gave us our QB, C, K.

Cribbs was never the same after the USFL.

The Jokeman
12-12-2012, 09:09 PM

If you follow your logic than Carnell Lake will be the Bills HC if and/when Whaley takes over. As like Whaley Lake is a former DB, a Pittsburgh guy and an up and coming coach.

JoeMama
12-12-2012, 10:53 PM
If you follow your logic than Carnell Lake will be the Bills HC if and/when Whaley takes over. As like Whaley Lake is a former DB, a Pittsburgh guy and an up and coming coach.

If the pattern of narcissism that's dictated our previous hires is any indication, Carnell Lake could get some consideration.

Surprisingly, the more I look into Lake's resume, the more I like him.

I'm still a Schotty or Billick guy, but Lake strikes me as rising star who could be a successful HC one day.

Plus...

Snaking talent from Pittsburgh? Ain't nothing wrong with that!

The Jokeman
01-03-2013, 07:34 PM
If the pattern of narcissism that's dictated our previous hires is any indication, Carnell Lake could get some consideration.

Surprisingly, the more I look into Lake's resume, the more I like him.

I'm still a Schotty or Billick guy, but Lake strikes me as rising star who could be a successful HC one day.

Plus...

Snaking talent from Pittsburgh? Ain't nothing wrong with that!

I tongue in cheek suggested Lake but if you follow this path then Ray Horton seems like an ideal match of the candidates that are out there. As again has Pittsburgh ties, was a former DB and of course would be considered an up and coming candidate since he has no HC experience.

Mr. Pink
01-04-2013, 05:01 AM

Gave us our QB, C, K.

If there was no USFL the QB, unless he pulled an Elway, would have been here from the start though.

Historian
01-04-2013, 05:28 AM
Maybe, mabe not.

Kelly wanted to play for either the Raiders or Steelers, and given Wilson's track record at the time, I could easily see that happening.

YardRat
01-04-2013, 05:34 AM

So, given all of that, who do you see fitting the Brandon mold?

The Jokeman
01-04-2013, 12:19 PM
If there was no USFL the QB, unless he pulled an Elway, would have been here from the start though.

But one could argue with Kelly we might have been too good to land the top spot in 1985 in order to land Bruce Smith etc. So the USFL was a good thing for the Bills as it allowed Kelly to develop and us to remain crappy etc.