PDA

View Full Version : If Gailey is fired at the end of the season, what about Wannstedt and the D staff?

ghz in pittsburgh
12-10-2012, 07:48 PM
Do we fire him as well? Usually that's the norm. HC gone, the whole coaching staff is gone.

Then we are looking at 3rd D-coordinator and 3rd deffensive philosophy change in 3 years. Potentially we see more players not fitting the scheme and more ramp up time.

I know some at the BB.com speculated, the more obvious solution is promote Wannstedt to HC which I shiver at the thought.

If you attach a lot of conditions such as no change to 4-3 schema etc., no strong minded HC will come to Buffalo.

EDS
12-10-2012, 08:47 PM
There is absolutely no way any new head coach would retain any assistant coaches on the current staff. Wannstedt is horrible so there is absolutely no reason to retain him in any capacity, let alone promote him. He had a losing record as an NFL head coach back when he was relevant and his stint in college and the unemployment line did absolutely nothing to make him any better.

ParanoidAndroid
12-10-2012, 10:47 PM
From 27th ranked team in sacks 2011 to 9th in 2012 so far.

In the last 4 weeks no team has rushed for 100 yards and the defense has allowed a stingy 67.4yds over that stretch.

Two rookies starting at CB, one rookie at OLB, Moore at DE, two sophomores in Dareus and Sheppard.... the defense has stayed relatively healthy this year and they are improving.

Wannstedt is doing his job.

BertSquirtgum
12-11-2012, 12:42 AM
Good riddance.

Buddo
12-11-2012, 04:36 AM
I suppose that in reality, any actually decent HC, should know what he has on the D, and not try to go away from the 4-3. It isn't just the 'starters' now either, the guys behind them are stepping up and performing also. This D could actually go on and become the scary good we expected it to be. One CB, and a good LB with pass coverage skills, and we are talking serious potential.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-11-2012, 04:56 AM
There is absolutely no way any new head coach would retain any assistant coaches on the current staff. Wannstedt is horrible so there is absolutely no reason to retain him in any capacity, let alone promote him. He had a losing record as an NFL head coach back when he was relevant and his stint in college and the unemployment line did absolutely nothing to make him any better.
All of which makes him the ideal candidate in the eyes of 1 Bills Drive :(

Extremebillsfan247
12-11-2012, 05:02 AM
Do we fire him as well? Usually that's the norm. HC gone, the whole coaching staff is gone.

Then we are looking at 3rd D-coordinator and 3rd deffensive philosophy change in 3 years. Potentially we see more players not fitting the scheme and more ramp up time.

I know some at the BB.com speculated, the more obvious solution is promote Wannstedt to HC which I shiver at the thought.

If you attach a lot of conditions such as no change to 4-3 schema etc., no strong minded HC will come to Buffalo.
If Gailey is fired, in all likely hood, Wannstedt will get a shot at HC. I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me.

jamze132
12-11-2012, 06:05 AM
The defense has stepped up as of late but I'm still not sold on Wanny's defensive game plan.

At the beginning of the Rams game, he was calling blitzes and the Rams couldn't do anything. We stop blitzing and the Rams start scoring. Coincidence? LMAO

DraftBoy
12-11-2012, 07:00 AM
For the most part the coaches stay on till a new coach is hired and they are all relieved or until their contracts run out.

ServoBillieves
12-11-2012, 07:27 AM
This is the beauty of Bills fans. We start to improve, and with no playoffs, let's gut it and give the new guy 3 years to get it down. Then in 3 years when he doesn't get it done, go to the new guy, gut it, fans rejoice, and three... the list goes on. Do I like Chan? Absolutely not as a HC, but I wouldn't mind him as an OC. I like his game plan, but if you put in a HC who can tighten the reigns on his play calling ("Chan, if you run a screen here I will kick your ass on national television") I would give it a year.

I like the team put on the field. I am not happy (who would be?) with the results they produce, and that comes solely down to what everyone already knows; Fitzpatrick and Gailey as HC.

Bring in a competent (not a no name) HC, maybe drop Chan to QB coach, hell, whatever... Until this season is over it's all speculation and hoping.

Night Train
12-11-2012, 07:29 AM
They might cherry pick some of the positional coaches. Usually not coordinators.

OpIv37
12-11-2012, 07:34 AM
This is the beauty of Bills fans. We start to improve, and with no playoffs, let's gut it and give the new guy 3 years to get it down. Then in 3 years when he doesn't get it done, go to the new guy, gut it, fans rejoice, and three... the list goes on. Do I like Chan? Absolutely not as a HC, but I wouldn't mind him as an OC. I like his game plan, but if you put in a HC who can tighten the reigns on his play calling ("Chan, if you run a screen here I will kick your ass on national television") I would give it a year.

I like the team put on the field. I am not happy (who would be?) with the results they produce, and that comes solely down to what everyone already knows; Fitzpatrick and Gailey as HC.

Bring in a competent (not a no name) HC, maybe drop Chan to QB coach, hell, whatever... Until this season is over it's all speculation and hoping.

Gailey gave Spiller 9 touches last week. NINE. He punted inside his 35 twice in the last 3 games. He displayed some of the worst clock management I've ever seen at the end of the first half of the Rams game, and we had DICK JAURON as coach for over 3 seasons.

What makes people think any of that nonsense will change if Gailey is OC instead of HC?

And here's the larger problem: it's been 3 years and we are seeing incremental improvement. By the time we get to any real improvement, new holes will open up. It's the self-perpetuating rebuilding cycle. In the modern NFL, you don't have 5-8 years to build a team. You got 3-4 before guys start to walk, get too old, etc. We will NEVER win under Nix and Gailey.

TigerJ
12-11-2012, 07:57 AM
A new coach will bring in his own staff. That's the reality. Depending on a new staff, the personnel may or may not fit the schemes the new staff is most comfortable running. A change of schemes will require a time of transition while the appropriate personnel are obtained and the personnel that is retained can learn and become comfortable with the new scheme. All that takes time. Ergo, the team will get worse before it gets better.

OpIv37
12-11-2012, 08:14 AM
A new coach will bring in his own staff.

This made me think of another point: we don't want a coach who isn't given the opportunity to bring in his own staff.

Now, if a new coach is hired and chooses to keep Wannstadt as DC and/or Gailey as OC, that's one thing. But that situation is highly unlikely. More than likely, a new coach will want to bring in their own staff and succeed or fail based on their own decisions, not someone else's. So, if Wanny and/or Gailey are retained with a new HC, it will most likely be because Ralph and Buddy made it a condition of their employment.

And no good coach would ever accept that condition. If a new coach is forced to keep anyone on the current staff, we are already doomed to fail.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-11-2012, 10:37 AM
In reality, the only HC that can come in and push Gailey down to OC is Cowher. But Cowher is not Tomlin who'd accept the owner/GM's wish leaving the defense scheme and coaching staff alone.

Overall, I think that talent trumps coaching. Tomlin is widely viewed more a cheer leader who relates to players well than discipline or Xs and Os here in Pittsburgh. But he has a trunp card and that is Roethlisberger.

I think the Bills under Nix started the long road of adding talent to the team but they haven't hit that home run in QB like the Steelers do. The current Bills need everything: all the talent, cohesion, and good coaching to make the playoff. I don't know at this point I want to sack Nix and hoping for someone new will do better than him and his staff on talent acquisitions.

Cowher didn't win a superbowl until he got Roethlisberger despite all the winning. Getting that kind of guy is the hardest thing in NFL.

RedEyE
12-11-2012, 10:45 AM
Considering all of the above, I really think the Bills should make another pitch for Cowher. Give the guy anything he wants and get him in here. Last attempt his wife was gravely ill and he understandably wasn't budging. Hell, Cowher even recommended Gailey to the Bills FO.

Its the only shot the Bills have without dismantling and rebuilding...once again.

BertSquirtgum
12-11-2012, 10:49 AM
The defense has stepped up as of late but I'm still not sold on Wanny's defensive game plan.

At the beginning of the Rams game, he was calling blitzes and the Rams couldn't do anything. We stop blitzing and the Rams start scoring. Coincidence? LMAO

I guarantee Gailey told him to knock that crazy stuff off.

Mouldsie
12-11-2012, 11:25 AM
Depends on the new HC. I tend to believe Wannstedt is just a guy so losing him wouldnt hurt much. I dont think he's an X's and O's mastermind or an elite motivator.

trapezeus
12-11-2012, 11:57 AM
my issue with wanny is related to a yahoo sports article i read yesterday. The writer's last name is cole. he said that the bills defense gave up a td per usual after playing a good game. and then he quoted an unnamed AFC East WR who said, "they have a scheme that is easily read in the late stages of a game. you know what they are going to do."

That makes me really nervous that wanny's improvement is a product of playing lesser talent.

the bills have been taken out to the woodshed and spanked by the teams who are legitimate teams. they were never in the 49ers game, the texans game, the patriots game were embarassments.

i can't remember a time when i felt comfortable when the bills had a real team to play against.

they are going to make the playoffs eventually. it would be nice if they didn't get there because of some mathematical anamoly and actually had a chance to win a game or two in the playoffs.