• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Solve the QB problem or the HC won't matter

Guys, we've watched the Bills mediocrity for over a decade and during that time have also not had a legit playoff QB. That's not a coincidence.

About two years ago several claimed that a serviceable Fitz was just fine if we built a great defense and had an average offense. That didn't happen and here we are. IMO, we have never had the sort of defense necessary to allow an average at best QB to get us to the playoffs. Fitz is just the latest version.

We have needed a top notch QB since Kelly. I feel like we can get to the playoffs with a top notch QB but average HC... But that the reverse is not true. I don't think a great HC can do anything without a top notch QB. I feel Fitz has cost us two games this year and hasn't won us a single one. To clarify, I'm saying that Fitz has not made a critical play to win us a game but has made several critical plays to lose games.

Put it this way, If Manning was on this team we would have won several more games and be squarely in the playoffs. And that's with all the rest of the staff, roster, and schemes remaining the same. And I think we would be in that same position with a lesser QB than Peyton. I could see it with a QB like Schaub...

Solving this problem is paramount. But how? It won't be easy.
    A big trade? But for whom?
    A rookie? I'd like the best possible.
    Sign someone? Will a legit playoff caliber QB hit the market?

I'm warming to the concept of Geno Smith. Long and accurate arm. Adding the deeper routes back into our attack (Fitz can't hit them) would open up even more of our run game; it would keep teams from stacking the box. The question is will we get the next RG3? Freeman? I'd be good with just Freeman level play and I think that may get us over the hump. Smith's question mark to me is his mental markup. Will he be able to read defenses in the NFL? Make smart throws or non-throws?
    Last edited by X-Era; 12-12-2012, 06:18 AM.

• RedEyE
    • Jul 2002

Re: Solve the QB problem or the HC won't matter

I agree with everything stated above.

Although I think that Geno will be closer to Freeman than RG3 with that 4.8 speed.

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

I don't trust Gailey at all to divorce himself from Fitz.

T. Jackson can't even get activated and any rookie would be told to wait his turn.

New QB means new coach.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
        • Sep 2012

Yeah I like Geno too, but unless some other teams go on a big run we won't have any shot at drafting him. KC, Jax, and Arizona are all in front of us right now and desperately need QBs.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

Jim Harbaugh begs to differ but I do agree that the reason why we havent made playoffs in 13 years is no franchise qb. IMO, Nix did the same thing Donaohe did .Brought in some good talent, just needs a franchise qb and a coach to put it all together.
          sacrifice1
          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

Solve both problems or none of the moves will matter.
            COMING SOON...
            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• EDS
              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
              Jim Harbaugh begs to differ but I do agree that the reason why we havent made playoffs in 13 years is no franchise qb. IMO, Nix did the same thing Donaohe did .Brought in some good talent, just needs a franchise qb and a coach to put it all together.
              Only problem there is that franchise QB and good coaching are the two hardest things to come by.

Comment

• Mouldsie
                • Aug 2012

Originally posted by EDS View Post
                Only problem there is that franchise QB and good coaching are the two hardest things to come by.
                I dont buy that

Comment

• Bill Cody
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Mouldsie View Post
                  I dont buy that
                  It's either hard or we're intentionally not doing it- which is it?

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by EDS View Post
                    to me they are both crapshots. I wasn't big on a big named HC named Shanahan. When he declined the bills, I was okay with it. And now, I'm even happier he declined. We would have a very expensive HC who doesn't even seem to be better than Chan inspite of having RG3.

We can go to college ranks but that would be like going after a Mularkey , Greg Williams or it could work with a Harbaugh. Biggest name out there in Chip Kelly. Would he come here over other teams?

We could go with a retread like Billick but that would be like going for Chan. Billick is an Offensive coach but won with a average O but dominant D. I doubt he'll bring that Ravens D here.

Chan is going nowhere in the next year. Our biggest problem is that he won't start a rookie qb even if it's Geno or Wilson.
                    Last edited by justasportsfan; 12-12-2012, 10:21 AM.
                    sacrifice1

Comment

• Ed
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                      Donahoe at least tried to get a qb. Traded a 1st for Bledsoe and traded a first to get Losman. Before getting Losman he even desperately tried to trade ahead of Pitt to get Roethlisberger.

Nix has to make qb a priority this year. He can't make excuses about needing to add more talent at other spots or the right qb not being there at our pick. If they like a rookie qb enough and believe in them, they have to make it happen. Otherwise we're just spinning our wheels as a 6-8 win team.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                        Donahoe at least tried to get a qb. Traded a 1st for Bledsoe and traded a first to get Losman. Before getting Losman he even desperately tried to trade ahead of Pitt to get Roethlisberger.

Nix has to make qb a priority this year. He can't make excuses about needing to add more talent at other spots or the right qb not being there at our pick. If they like a rookie qb enough and believe in them, they have to make it happen. Otherwise we're just spinning our wheels as a 6-8 win team.

Donahoe tried to build the team via FA and was hoping to "win now" That backfired when he put Losman in. The vets could no longer wait for a rookie to develop.

Nix is building via draft. He is trying to plug holes through the draft. I am almost sure he would have drafted Cam Newton if he was there. I hope he doesn't was time with another Levi Brown with Fitz at qb.
                        sacrifice1

Comment

• trapezeus
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

i agree...a good qb will mask a lot of bad coaching. not to pour on levy, but the bills became really good when they asked Jim to read the defense and call what he wanted. Manning has had the same free reign and has done well.

we aren't privy to what qb's run according to the coach's call and what they change at the line. but regardless, chan made the offense somewhat bareable over the last 3 years. he's losing me each game, but if there was a smart strong qb who could change up plays and match the arm strength to make the throw, the current bills spread offense will work. the WR's are open routinely in these games. fitz is terribly inaccurate.

Geno smith seems likea project. and as a project, i just don't see him beating out fitz if gailey is a coach. the only way gailey hands over free reign to a different qb is if he's lights out better. Sadly, i don't think there is a qb in this class that gailey will simply accept as better. So that means gailey has to go. a new coach has to be brought in the day after the super bowl and told, "you have 1 year to make this teambetter. you'll get the tools, but ifyou think a major scheme change and time is what this team needs, you aren't the coach for us. a monkey could have made this current roster a 6-6 club or better. you're task is to be a big upgrade from a monkey."

and that new coach has to pick one of the QB's who he thinks is a guy he can work with on day 1.

and as another poster mentioned, the bills are truly screwed in this QB draft because they beat arizona and miami. games they were jonesing to toss away. so we are behind at least 4-5 teams that want a QB and have the smarts to actually go get one.

Comment

• EDS
                            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Mouldsie View Post
                            I dont buy that
                            What is harder than finding a franchise QB?

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                              Peterman Sucks!
                              • Mar 2006

Geno Smith will go first overall.

We're not getting him.

Comment

Working...
                              X