PDA

View Full Version : Solve the QB problem or the HC won't matter

X-Era
12-12-2012, 06:08 AM
Guys, we've watched the Bills mediocrity for over a decade and during that time have also not had a legit playoff QB. That's not a coincidence.

About two years ago several claimed that a serviceable Fitz was just fine if we built a great defense and had an average offense. That didn't happen and here we are. IMO, we have never had the sort of defense necessary to allow an average at best QB to get us to the playoffs. Fitz is just the latest version.

We have needed a top notch QB since Kelly. I feel like we can get to the playoffs with a top notch QB but average HC... But that the reverse is not true. I don't think a great HC can do anything without a top notch QB. I feel Fitz has cost us two games this year and hasn't won us a single one. To clarify, I'm saying that Fitz has not made a critical play to win us a game but has made several critical plays to lose games.

Put it this way, If Manning was on this team we would have won several more games and be squarely in the playoffs. And that's with all the rest of the staff, roster, and schemes remaining the same. And I think we would be in that same position with a lesser QB than Peyton. I could see it with a QB like Schaub...

Solving this problem is paramount. But how? It won't be easy.
A big trade? But for whom?
A rookie? I'd like the best possible.
Sign someone? Will a legit playoff caliber QB hit the market?

I'm warming to the concept of Geno Smith. Long and accurate arm. Adding the deeper routes back into our attack (Fitz can't hit them) would open up even more of our run game; it would keep teams from stacking the box. The question is will we get the next RG3? Freeman? I'd be good with just Freeman level play and I think that may get us over the hump. Smith's question mark to me is his mental markup. Will he be able to read defenses in the NFL? Make smart throws or non-throws?

RedEyE
12-12-2012, 06:45 AM
I agree with everything stated above.

Although I think that Geno will be closer to Freeman than RG3 with that 4.8 speed.

Night Train
12-12-2012, 06:58 AM
I don't trust Gailey at all to divorce himself from Fitz.

T. Jackson can't even get activated and any rookie would be told to wait his turn.

New QB means new coach.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-12-2012, 08:35 AM
Yeah I like Geno too, but unless some other teams go on a big run we won't have any shot at drafting him. KC, Jax, and Arizona are all in front of us right now and desperately need QBs.

justasportsfan
12-12-2012, 09:01 AM
Jim Harbaugh begs to differ but I do agree that the reason why we havent made playoffs in 13 years is no franchise qb. IMO, Nix did the same thing Donaohe did .Brought in some good talent, just needs a franchise qb and a coach to put it all together.

DraftBoy
12-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Solve both problems or none of the moves will matter.

EDS
12-12-2012, 09:43 AM
Jim Harbaugh begs to differ but I do agree that the reason why we havent made playoffs in 13 years is no franchise qb. IMO, Nix did the same thing Donaohe did .Brought in some good talent, just needs a franchise qb and a coach to put it all together.

Only problem there is that franchise QB and good coaching are the two hardest things to come by.

Mouldsie
12-12-2012, 09:48 AM
Only problem there is that franchise QB and good coaching are the two hardest things to come by.
I dont buy that

Bill Cody
12-12-2012, 10:02 AM
I dont buy that

It's either hard or we're intentionally not doing it- which is it?

justasportsfan
12-12-2012, 10:19 AM

to me they are both crapshots. I wasn't big on a big named HC named Shanahan. When he declined the bills, I was okay with it. And now, I'm even happier he declined. We would have a very expensive HC who doesn't even seem to be better than Chan inspite of having RG3.

We can go to college ranks but that would be like going after a Mularkey , Greg Williams or it could work with a Harbaugh. Biggest name out there in Chip Kelly. Would he come here over other teams?

We could go with a retread like Billick but that would be like going for Chan. Billick is an Offensive coach but won with a average O but dominant D. I doubt he'll bring that Ravens D here.

Chan is going nowhere in the next year. Our biggest problem is that he won't start a rookie qb even if it's Geno or Wilson.

Ed
12-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Donahoe at least tried to get a qb. Traded a 1st for Bledsoe and traded a first to get Losman. Before getting Losman he even desperately tried to trade ahead of Pitt to get Roethlisberger.

Nix has to make qb a priority this year. He can't make excuses about needing to add more talent at other spots or the right qb not being there at our pick. If they like a rookie qb enough and believe in them, they have to make it happen. Otherwise we're just spinning our wheels as a 6-8 win team.

justasportsfan
12-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Donahoe at least tried to get a qb. Traded a 1st for Bledsoe and traded a first to get Losman. Before getting Losman he even desperately tried to trade ahead of Pitt to get Roethlisberger.

Nix has to make qb a priority this year. He can't make excuses about needing to add more talent at other spots or the right qb not being there at our pick. If they like a rookie qb enough and believe in them, they have to make it happen. Otherwise we're just spinning our wheels as a 6-8 win team.

Donahoe tried to build the team via FA and was hoping to "win now" That backfired when he put Losman in. The vets could no longer wait for a rookie to develop.

Nix is building via draft. He is trying to plug holes through the draft. I am almost sure he would have drafted Cam Newton if he was there. I hope he doesn't was time with another Levi Brown with Fitz at qb.

trapezeus
12-12-2012, 11:23 AM
i agree...a good qb will mask a lot of bad coaching. not to pour on levy, but the bills became really good when they asked Jim to read the defense and call what he wanted. Manning has had the same free reign and has done well.

we aren't privy to what qb's run according to the coach's call and what they change at the line. but regardless, chan made the offense somewhat bareable over the last 3 years. he's losing me each game, but if there was a smart strong qb who could change up plays and match the arm strength to make the throw, the current bills spread offense will work. the WR's are open routinely in these games. fitz is terribly inaccurate.

Geno smith seems likea project. and as a project, i just don't see him beating out fitz if gailey is a coach. the only way gailey hands over free reign to a different qb is if he's lights out better. Sadly, i don't think there is a qb in this class that gailey will simply accept as better. So that means gailey has to go. a new coach has to be brought in the day after the super bowl and told, "you have 1 year to make this teambetter. you'll get the tools, but ifyou think a major scheme change and time is what this team needs, you aren't the coach for us. a monkey could have made this current roster a 6-6 club or better. you're task is to be a big upgrade from a monkey."

and that new coach has to pick one of the QB's who he thinks is a guy he can work with on day 1.

and as another poster mentioned, the bills are truly screwed in this QB draft because they beat arizona and miami. games they were jonesing to toss away. so we are behind at least 4-5 teams that want a QB and have the smarts to actually go get one.

EDS
12-12-2012, 12:21 PM
I dont buy that

What is harder than finding a franchise QB?

Mr. Pink
12-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Geno Smith will go first overall.

We're not getting him.

Joe Fo Sho
12-12-2012, 03:36 PM
What is harder than finding a franchise QB?

Pooping when you don't have to poop.

TacklingDummy
12-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Franchise QB's are harder to find. Get a Franchise QB and see how well the coach looks afterwards. It happens all the time.

Mouldsie
12-12-2012, 03:47 PM
It's either hard or we're intentionally not doing it- which is it?
We're incompetent, and so are a lot of other teams TBH.

Albany,n.y.
12-12-2012, 04:06 PM
A franchise QB who doesn't respect his coach won't win either. Look at 1986 when we had a bad coach & a franchise QB. The players had no respect for the coach & he had to be replaced.

Bill Cody
12-12-2012, 04:08 PM
We're incompetent, and so are a lot of other teams TBH.

a great QB- demand is sky high, supply is very low- fact
a great coach- demand is sky high, supply is very low- fact

but yes we are also incompetant- fact

Fixxxer
12-12-2012, 05:28 PM
I don't trust Gailey at all to divorce himself from Fitz.

T. Jackson can't even get activated and any rookie would be told to wait his turn.

New QB means new coach.

That is the key, if Gailey wants to come back he will have to be flexible about it. Without a talented QB you can't win in this league. Get an interesting prospect to develop and coaches throughout the league will be interested to coach the team.

I don't have a problem with Gailey coming back and play a rookie, he will be forced to aid that QB with a strong running game and a good defense (we are getting there IMO), but Gailey needs to be on board with that plan.