PDA

View Full Version : Expansion for playoffs?

Billsfan3
12-13-2012, 12:02 AM
Goodell mentioned it.. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/12/nfl-playoffs-change-roger-goodell_n_2288974.html

TrEd FTW
12-13-2012, 01:00 AM
Does the league really need more watering down? It's already mediocre enough.

Mr. Pink
12-13-2012, 01:30 AM
There should be less playoff teams, not more.

But hey, more playoff teams would increase revenue.

Crisis
12-13-2012, 03:25 AM
More slots for us to not take!

Night Train
12-13-2012, 04:12 AM
In other words, bad 5-8 teams like the Bills will stay alive well into December. This supposedly will keep people in the seats and ratings high on TV.

It will probably happen, as well as an 18 game schedule. Both terrible ideas.

But the NFL cares deeply about player safety. :rofl: What a load..

jamze132
12-13-2012, 07:22 AM
Would give Buffalo a shot at the playoffs! But I don't think we make playoffs until Brady retires.

trapezeus
12-13-2012, 09:29 AM
if they expand and we still don't get in...i'm just not going to be able to deal.

TigerJ
12-13-2012, 09:55 AM
I'm all for it. Expand the playoff field to 22 and Buffalo will make the playoffs most years.

Generalissimus Gibby
12-13-2012, 10:05 AM
I haven't read the article (because the idea is horrible) but why not? Lets increase the playoffs to 16 teams in each conference and increase the number of regular season games to 20 (I want a qb like Brady to get 40,000 yards in five years). I mean think about it, by letting 16 teams from each conference get into the post season and having a 20 game schedule a team that went 0-20 and finished last in its division could theoretically 6-0 in the post season and win the Lombardi trophy. Also, lets start drafting NCAA D-2 and D-3 players. Other rule changes I want: No more kickoffs and no more punt returns. Also, no outdoor stadiums at all are allowed. Oh and wide receivers cannot be touched within 10 yards. Also pass rushing is only allowed on third down and blitzing is absolutely forbidden. Also, when you hit the qb it has to be two hand touch. if he hits the ground its a 15 yard penalty. Even sneezing on Brady is an automatic ejection and 10 game suspension.

jamze132
12-13-2012, 10:58 AM
Top two teams in each division make the playoffs. They then play each other leaving 4 teams left, seading now starts based on record.

trapezeus
12-13-2012, 11:37 AM
I'm all for it. Expand the playoff field to 22 and Buffalo will make the playoffs most years.

sabres don't always get in and the NHL format is essentially this. something about buffalo that just means we'll never get to taste the final prize.

trapezeus
12-13-2012, 11:38 AM
I haven't read the article (because the idea is horrible) but why not? Lets increase the playoffs to 16 teams in each conference and increase the number of regular season games to 20 (I want a qb like Brady to get 40,000 yards in five years). I mean think about it, by letting 16 teams from each conference get into the post season and having a 20 game schedule a team that went 0-20 and finished last in its division could theoretically 6-0 in the post season and win the Lombardi trophy. Also, lets start drafting NCAA D-2 and D-3 players. Other rule changes I want: No more kickoffs and no more punt returns. Also, no outdoor stadiums at all are allowed. Oh and wide receivers cannot be touched within 10 yards. Also pass rushing is only allowed on third down and blitzing is absolutely forbidden. Also, when you hit the qb it has to be two hand touch. if he hits the ground its a 15 yard penalty. Even sneezing on Brady is an automatic ejection and 10 game suspension.

wow, it's like this poster stole Goodell's thoughts and put it down in one paragraph!

BillsFever21
12-13-2012, 06:55 PM
We don't need to add anymore playoff teams. Even if 8 teams made the playoffs the Bills still wouldn't be making the playoffs over these years except for maybe one of them. That's pretty pathetic.

That's basically what they did with MLB this season by adding another team. It kept a bunch of lousy teams in the playoff hunt later into the season. It's completely ridiculous because now that game becomes a 1 game playoff. If they're going to add another team then at least make it a 3 game series instead of a single elimination. That's not what baseball is supposed to be.

The only thing it would do for the NFL is keep more teams in the hunt which should theoretically increase ratings and ticket sales. It would water down the playoffs and end up being like the NFL and NHL where you have .500 teams making the playoffs when they shouldn't be. Hell sometimes they don't even have a winning record.

jamze132
12-13-2012, 11:46 PM
We don't need to add anymore playoff teams. Even if 8 teams made the playoffs the Bills still wouldn't be making the playoffs over these years except for maybe one of them. That's pretty pathetic.

That's basically what they did with MLB this season by adding another team. It kept a bunch of lousy teams in the playoff hunt later into the season. It's completely ridiculous because now that game becomes a 1 game playoff. If they're going to add another team then at least make it a 3 game series instead of a single elimination. That's not what baseball is supposed to be.

The only thing it would do for the NFL is keep more teams in the hunt which should theoretically increase ratings and ticket sales. It would water down the playoffs and end up being like the NFL and NHL where you have .500 teams making the playoffs when they shouldn't be. Hell sometimes they don't even have a winning record.

The baseball version also allows a team in a strong division that comes in 2nd with 90+ wins a playoff birth.