PDA

View Full Version : Nix took best player available with our 1st in the 2010 draft

X-Era
12-13-2012, 05:41 AM
In that draft we had Marshawn Lynch and Freddy Jackson already in the backfield but took CJ Spiller at 9.

Many here hated that pick.

And look where we are now... With one of the most dynamic backs in the whole league.

Let's give credit where it's due. Gailey never wavered in his stance that Spiller was something special. It was a bold move and if we pull our heads out of our asses and use him more we know we will have a top 5 RB in this league.

Taking the best player available can often work out well in the long run even if it isn't a huge need. I'd like guys like Te'o, maybe Geno Smith and both would fill bigger needs. But, if a guy is worthy of the pick he should be considered regardless of position.

Night Train
12-13-2012, 06:32 AM
I wanted Jason Pierre-Paul... but thought the Spiller pick did make sense at the time. The Bills missed out on the 2 LT's they wanted and had to go to plan C. They were trying to unload Lynch, who was self destructing and needed a change of scenery.

What's funny is that Pierre-Paul had many medai types labeling him as a probable bust after the Giants selected him. If you google and look at the draft, now, he's by far the best selection in that spot of the first round.

Spiller is in year 3 and is still being ignored far too often. He should be seeing at least another 5-6 swing passes and 5 carries a game...but our coaches always seem to know better, despite the loss column showing a larger number than wins every season. Hmmm...

jamze132
12-13-2012, 07:11 AM
Our coaches suck.

Skooby
12-13-2012, 07:16 AM
We could draft King Kong & we'd find a way to make sure he was used incorrectly or not enough.

DraftBoy
12-13-2012, 07:33 AM
Said it the moment he was drafted he's not just a RB he's a playmaker and he's shown that this season. It was a good pick then and remains a good pick to this day.

T-Long
12-13-2012, 08:23 AM
I loved the pick too....Nix has always said he will take the best player on the board, regardless of need. That isn't a time to reach for a player when you are picking that high.

OpIv37
12-13-2012, 08:53 AM
Here's the problem with drafting BPA rather than drafting for need: the team has needs that need to be addressed somehow.

This off-season, DE was a huge need, but the FO went out and got Mario Williams and Anderson to fill that need, so we didn't have to worry about it.

However, in the past, the team did next to nothing in FA, getting only second and third tier guys after other teams spent the big money on the best players. So, if we don't plug holes in FA and go BPA in the draft, then holes go unaddressed.

If we stay active in FA, then I'm ok going BPA. But if we return to the status quo with FA's, then going BPA in the draft is going to leave us with some severe roster deficiencies. Case and point: the last 10 years except 2012 and 2007.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-13-2012, 09:01 AM
Let's give credit where it's due. Gailey never wavered in his stance that Spiller was something special. It was a bold move and if we pull our heads out of our asses and use him more we know we will have a top 5 RB in this league.

Are these sentences literally back to back? Of course Gailey waivered, he's the one with his head up his ass not giving Spiller the football. Gailey's the one that insisted on a scatback to open up a rebuild and then built a pass-first offense around Ryan Fitzpatrick. The pick was idiotic because you need to build your team around your talent and he hasn't done so. Perhaps the next coach will salvage it.

better days
12-13-2012, 09:04 AM
Here's the problem with drafting BPA rather than drafting for need: the team has needs that need to be addressed somehow.

This off-season, DE was a huge need, but the FO went out and got Mario Williams and Anderson to fill that need, so we didn't have to worry about it.

However, in the past, the team did next to nothing in FA, getting only second and third tier guys after other teams spent the big money on the best players. So, if we don't plug holes in FA and go BPA in the draft, then holes go unaddressed.

If we stay active in FA, then I'm ok going BPA. But if we return to the status quo with FA's, then going BPA in the draft is going to leave us with some severe roster deficiencies. Case and point: the last 10 years except 2012 and 2007.

Well, another hole was TE. Chandler is no Gronk, but he fills that hole. I have said & will continue to say Nix is a good GM & is doing his best to rebuild this team.

stuckincincy
12-13-2012, 09:04 AM
In that draft we had Marshawn Lynch and Freddy Jackson already in the backfield but took CJ Spiller at 9.

And look where we are now... With one of the most dynamic backs in the whole league.

Taking the best player available can often work out well in the long run even if it isn't a huge need. I'd like guys like Te'o, maybe Geno Smith and both would fill bigger needs. But, if a guy is worthy of the pick he should be considered regardless of position.

Their cumulative record so far, after taking that BPA in 2010, is 15 and 30. Dynamic. :sigh:

OpIv37
12-13-2012, 09:31 AM
Well, another hole was TE. Chandler is no Gronk, but he fills that hole. I have said & will continue to say Nix is a good GM & is doing his best to rebuild this team.

Nix's drafts have been shaky so far. And for every Chandler, there are 10 guys like Hangartner, Andra Davis, Matt Bowen.... I'm trying to think of more because there are dozens, but they are so forgettable that it's hard to come up with names.

And before Mario and Anderson, his FA hauls were atrocious. Hell, Mario didn't even play well until the last 3 or 4 games and Anderson's been hurt all year, so even they didn't really contribute.

Nix has his head up his ass.

DraftBoy
12-13-2012, 09:51 AM

That's why you blend the two theories. I don't think you draft straight BPA or straight need. It could be argued Spiller filled a need for the Bills who needed an explosive player who was a threat to score on every touch. To this day he's still the only player on our team who can do that.

justasportsfan
12-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Lynch's off field issues was making the position a position of need. He was suspended for 4 games the year we drafted Spiller and another stupid move would make him suspended for a whole season.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-13-2012, 10:07 AM
Lynch's off field issues was making the position a position of need. He was suspended for 4 games the year we drafted Spiller and another stupid move would make him suspended for a whole season.

We had a 29 year old Jackson then, coming off his 1000 yard season. Call Spiller BPA if you want, but there is no way you can call halfback a "need" in 2010. Indeed, in the modern NFL halfback is never enough of a "need" to justify a top 10 pick.

OpIv37
12-13-2012, 10:08 AM
That's why you blend the two theories. I don't think you draft straight BPA or straight need. It could be argued Spiller filled a need for the Bills who needed an explosive player who was a threat to score on every touch. To this day he's still the only player on our team who can do that.

Agreed.

If you're drafting at 10 and the best player left at your position of biggest need is projected to go 14-15, and the guys projected to go 10-14 all play positions that are pretty solid, I'm ok with a little bit of a reach in that position. But if you're drafting 10 and taking a guy predicted to go 20-25 to fill a need, or if you're drafting #2 and the best player at your position of biggest need is projected to go 9-10, well, that's just stupid. Trade or go BPA.

Night Train
12-13-2012, 10:11 AM
he's still the only player on our team who can do that.

Too bad he's "winded" all the time.

DraftBoy
12-13-2012, 10:12 AM
Too bad he's "winded" all the time.

Yea, damn shame.

justasportsfan
12-13-2012, 10:21 AM
We had a 29 year old Jackson then, coming off his 1000 yard season. Call Spiller BPA if you want, but there is no way you can call halfback a "need" in 2010. Indeed, in the modern NFL halfback is never enough of a "need" to justify a top 10 pick.

Jackson wasn't consistent enough nor did he play an entire year to know whether he could handle every snap and a player like Spiller doesn't come often.

Right now in hindsight, Jackson is a great compliment to Spiller and seems often injured these days. Looks to me it's turning out to be the right decision.

ublinkwescore
12-13-2012, 10:24 AM
this team has soooo much talent, I could probably coach it to the playoffs - kinda like Norv Turner taking over in SD after Schottenheimer got canned... or Switzer winning a superbowl in Dallas... it's sad. I once thought Gailey was our savior, now, he's just another speed bump standing between us and where we want to be. I hope we can get someone in here to make the O click and draft his franchise qb...

trapezeus
12-13-2012, 11:02 AM
that was then...now we have a team where more needs are filled. we are down to a couple big needs. i get reaching for a qb. but we need one. and if we don't hvae some retread coming in through free agency or trade, we saw enough this year to know that fitz isn't the answer, and the fact TJAX isn't given a shot means either 1. he's not good enough, or 2. he's not bright enough. Not exactly an encouraging salespitch to the fanbase to start next year. "we got rid of fitz, but we are going with someone who was worse! Yay!"

Persoanlly this team has sucked so badly at draft evaluation, i wouldn't mind if they drafted Three line backers and three qbs this draft and said, "this is where we suck, and htis is where we have to get better. round 1 and 2 are our ideal fits, rounds 3-4 should push them and will get every opportunity to be starters and round 5-6 will get their chance should anyone stumble.

if htey hit on those two positions, they could shore up a lot of the mistakes the rest of hte team makes.

DraftBoy
12-13-2012, 11:51 AM
that was then...now we have a team where more needs are filled. we are down to a couple big needs. i get reaching for a qb. but we need one. and if we don't hvae some retread coming in through free agency or trade, we saw enough this year to know that fitz isn't the answer, and the fact TJAX isn't given a shot means either 1. he's not good enough, or 2. he's not bright enough. Not exactly an encouraging salespitch to the fanbase to start next year. "we got rid of fitz, but we are going with someone who was worse! Yay!"

Persoanlly this team has sucked so badly at draft evaluation, i wouldn't mind if they drafted Three line backers and three qbs this draft and said, "this is where we suck, and htis is where we have to get better. round 1 and 2 are our ideal fits, rounds 3-4 should push them and will get every opportunity to be starters and round 5-6 will get their chance should anyone stumble.

if htey hit on those two positions, they could shore up a lot of the mistakes the rest of hte team makes.

Id actually argue are needs have not been filled. I find we still have needs all over the field; QB, WR, RT, TE, OLB (2), MLB, CB, SS

That's 9 right there without even talking about depth which is needed across both lines.

djjimkelly
12-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Said it the moment he was drafted he's not just a RB he's a playmaker and he's shown that this season. It was a good pick then and remains a good pick to this day.

buddy IMO has done the best with what hes had to work with.

im sure he would have drafted QB if he felt it was the guy

hes been right on every 1st rounder he has picked IMO

DraftBoy
12-13-2012, 11:58 AM

I didn't argue that he hasn't. Though I dont grade GM's based on the 1st Round picks, that's the easy part. Bring me your Day 3 and UDFA steals, that's where true scouting shines.

Joe Fo Sho
12-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Besides Spiller, no one should be more upset with CJ's lack of playing time than Nix.

THRILLHO
12-13-2012, 12:07 PM

THRILLHO
12-13-2012, 12:12 PM

Yet look how well Lynch is doing. Lynch is killing it in Seattle, and Spiller is just breaking out now.
We could have taken any other player there and not gifted Lynch for a couple late round picks. That pick still burns me today. To add insult to injury, the coach that gave up so much for Spiller refuses to play him.

OpIv37
12-13-2012, 12:19 PM
I didn't argue that he hasn't. Though I dont grade GM's based on the 1st Round picks, that's the easy part. Bring me your Day 3 and UDFA steals, that's where true scouting shines.

Scouting, yes, but that's not how you make a winning football team. Hell, Buffalo has had good luck with late round draft picks and UDFA's. Jason Peters and Fred Jackson were UDFA's. Kyle Williams was a 5th round draft pick, Stevie Johnson was a 7th. George Wilson was a UDFA that Buffalo took from Detroit. It's been the first 3 rounds of the draft where the Bills have screwed up, and it has really held them back despite some success in the later rounds and UDFA's.

The Jokeman
12-13-2012, 12:44 PM
Jackson wasn't consistent enough nor did he play an entire year to know whether he could handle every snap and a player like Spiller doesn't come often.

Right now in hindsight, Jackson is a great compliment to Spiller and seems often injured these days. Looks to me it's turning out to be the right decision.

Would you rather have Spiller + Jackson or Lynch + Jackson + Dez Bryant? I remember posting just before the draft that the smartest decision we could have made was take Dez Bryant for the short and long term need of the team. I can't say I disagree with that thinking.

GingerP
12-13-2012, 01:10 PM

CJ wasn't a bad pick, because he does add a big-play dimension to the offense that nobody else does (if they would use him). So, the selection itself isn't what you criticize.

But... in hindsight the Lynch trade was terrible. Lynch has over 3,000 yards and 27 TDs in 40 games for Seattle since the trade. He is a bell-cow back for a resurgent Seattle team, complimenting their good defense and protecting their rookie QB. The Bills got Chris Hairston and Tank Carder with the picks.

justasportsfan
12-13-2012, 01:21 PM
Would you rather have Spiller + Jackson or Lynch + Jackson + Dez Bryant? I remember posting just before the draft that the smartest decision we could have made was take Dez Bryant for the short and long term need of the team. I can't say I disagree with that thinking.

It's still hard to tell because Spiller is not used to his maximum potential. Lynch is still 1 off the field problem from being suspended an entire year. What would Bryant be doing here with a qb like Fitz? Don't forget that the loss of David Nelson was a huge blow to our passing game.

justasportsfan
12-13-2012, 01:24 PM
CJ wasn't a bad pick, because he does add a big-play dimension to the offense that nobody else does (if they would use him). So, the selection itself isn't what you criticize.

But... in hindsight the Lynch trade was terrible. Lynch has over 3,000 yards and 27 TDs in 40 games for Seattle since the trade. He is a bell-cow back for a resurgent Seattle team, complimenting their good defense and protecting their rookie QB. The Bills got Chris Hairston and Tank Carder with the picks.

I agree. It was a bad trade because of what we got for him but there was no way of knowing that unless we had a crystal ball. Would Lynch have stayed out of trouble if he stayed?

ThunderGun
12-13-2012, 01:42 PM
I agree. It was a bad trade because of what we got for him but there was no way of knowing that unless we had a crystal ball. Would Lynch have stayed out of trouble if he stayed?

Yes, I think we could have predicted that the 4th and 5th round picks that we got would both turn out to be scrubs. I definitely predicted it, based on 10 years of horrendous scouting and drafting.

And the "trouble" that he got into while here, was all relatively minor. He clipped a drunk chick, who dancing in the middle of the street, with the mirror on his car. And he got pulled over with a gun, in a bag, in the trunk of his car. Those were hardly reasons for running a guy out of town for hardly anything in return. He always seemed like a genuinely nice, fun loving guy, while he was here. Then one day (after the gun incident) everybody decided that he was a thug and a scumbag, and he needed to go. I guess we are better off with Chris Hairston though. rofl

ThunderGun
12-13-2012, 01:43 PM
Spiller has been awesome though. The pick, aside from being the ONE position that we were actually loaded at, wasn't terrible. We just should have kept Lynch, if we weren't gonna get anything for him. But I guess there was no way to predict that our 30+ year old rb would become an injury risk, and we would have use for another good RB. How could we ever have seen that one coming? lol

I'd still rather have Lynch, Freddy and Demaryius Thomas (the guy I wanted at the time) or Dez Bryant, or JPP, than Spiller, Freddy and Hairston.

EDS
12-13-2012, 01:48 PM

Too bad having a top running game is no longer a requirement for winning in the NFL today.

djjimkelly
12-13-2012, 01:49 PM

DB i respect your opinion but the previous couple GMs here didnt hit 50% on their 1st rounders so nix has them beat big time

he just needs to get a qb and IMO also there has not been a qb there worth picking in respect to what we need besides kapernick or dalton in the last 3 drafts and russel wilson its 1 year wonder still and everyone else passes several times.

i trust buddy will get a us a proper qb when he sees one

and both of those guys were not sure shots

DraftBoy
12-13-2012, 01:50 PM
Scouting, yes, but that's not how you make a winning football team. Hell, Buffalo has had good luck with late round draft picks and UDFA's. Jason Peters and Fred Jackson were UDFA's. Kyle Williams was a 5th round draft pick, Stevie Johnson was a 7th. George Wilson was a UDFA that Buffalo took from Detroit. It's been the first 3 rounds of the draft where the Bills have screwed up, and it has really held them back despite some success in the later rounds and UDFA's.

That's 5 names of a 53 man roster.

- - - Updated - - -

DB i respect your opinion but the previous couple GMs here didnt hit 50% on their 1st rounders so nix has them beat big time

he just needs to get a qb and IMO also there has not been a qb there worth picking in respect to what we need besides kapernick or dalton in the last 3 drafts and russel wilson its 1 year wonder still and everyone else passes several times.

i trust buddy will get a us a proper qb when he sees one

and both of those guys were not sure shots

I disagree strongly.

GingerP
12-13-2012, 01:52 PM

Drafting a guy in the first round and turning around and dealing him after a few years for pennies on the dollar, while spending a 1st round pick on his replacement, is an example of why the Bills have struggled to get better. The fact the guy went on to be a key player on a good team and put up great production only makes it worse.

It was a terrible move.

justasportsfan
12-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Yes, I think we could have predicted that the 4th and 5th round picks that we got would both turn out to be scrubs. I definitely predicted it, based on 10 years of horrendous scouting and drafting.

And the "trouble" that he got into while here, was all relatively minor. He clipped a drunk chick, who dancing in the middle of the street, with the mirror on his car. And he got pulled over with a gun, in a bag, in the trunk of his car. Those were hardly reasons for running a guy out of town for hardly anything in return. He always seemed like a genuinely nice, fun loving guy, while he was here. Then one day (after the gun incident) everybody decided that he was a thug and a scumbag, and he needed to go. I guess we are better off with Chris Hairston though. rofl

What I meant about the crystal ball is Lynch staying out of trouble.

Minor to you but not to the league. After a 4 game suspension is most likely a year suspension.

stuckincincy
12-13-2012, 01:55 PM

Yep. I always thought his indiscretions were minor. A youngster with piles of jingle in his pockets. Put a million in mine at age 22 or so, I'd probably be a jerk, a snot, pick the adjective...being young means you are not yet fully baked. Lord knows there are far worse crimes perpetrated daily across the nation.

justasportsfan
12-13-2012, 02:01 PM
Drafting a guy in the first round and turning around and dealing him after a few years for pennies on the dollar, while spending a 1st round pick on his replacement, is an example of why the Bills have struggled to get better. The fact the guy went on to be a key player on a good team and put up great production only makes it worse.

It was a terrible move.

I agree to a certain degree. We got rid of Lee Evans who although wasn't having no.1 nos. he was still productive here. Then we got out and grab TJ Graham who's speed means nothing since we decided to keep Fitz who can't throw deep anyways.

However, back then Lynch was considered a bomb waiting to explode. He was already suspened for 4 games and Spiller was projected to be a rb that doesn't come too often. Spiller has ran for close to 200 in 15(more or less) touches. If he were getting those touches and yards every game , no one will complain but Chan isn't doing it.

I'm almost sure that if Spiller landed elsewhere, we'd be wishing we had him over Lynch.

X-Era
12-13-2012, 05:03 PM
Their cumulative record so far, after taking that BPA in 2010, is 15 and 30. Dynamic. :sigh:Wow. I didn't know a single person could affect an entire teams record.

Mr. Pink
12-13-2012, 05:20 PM
Wow. I didn't know a single person could affect an entire teams record.

A single person does...Chan Gailey.

SABURZFAN
12-13-2012, 05:20 PM

meanwhile, another year without the playoffs....

better days
12-13-2012, 05:33 PM
What I meant about the crystal ball is Lynch staying out of trouble.

Minor to you but not to the league. After a 4 game suspension is most likely a year suspension.

And Lynch got in trouble again this offseason....................just after he signed a new contract. Hawks fans were sweating bullets Lynch was going to be suspended this year.

Novacane
12-13-2012, 05:41 PM
this team has soooo much talent, I could probably coach it to the playoffs - kinda like Norv Turner taking over in SD after Schottenheimer got canned... or Switzer winning a superbowl in Dallas... it's sad. I once thought Gailey was our savior, now, he's just another speed bump standing between us and where we want to be. I hope we can get someone in here to make the O click and draft his franchise qb...

Not without a QB

Novacane
12-13-2012, 05:59 PM

And he's been crap after the first round. After Spiller 2010 was a bust. Would this team even miss Moats and Carrington? At least round 2 through 4 are still on the team from 2011. Doesn't look like any of them are going to be solid starters. Maybe not even solid depth. Glenn looks like he's gonna be Buddys first "hit" outside the first round. Making the right pick in round 1 is nothing to brag on Nix about. The consensus on this board does that most every year.

better days
12-13-2012, 06:37 PM
And he's been crap after the first round. After Spiller 2010 was a bust. Would this team even miss Moats and Carrington? At least round 2 through 4 are still on the team from 2011. Doesn't look like any of them are going to be solid starters. Maybe not even solid depth. Glenn looks like he's gonna be Buddys first "hit" outside the first round. Making the right pick in round 1 is nothing to brag on Nix about. The consensus on this board does that most every year.

Well, Carrington has played well of late. He could get much better next year, FA Kyle Moore has also played well of late, Chris Hairston is at least solid depth, FA Eric Pears solid depth, Waiver pick up Sam Young solid depth, FA Nick Barnett SOLID starter, never leaves the field LEADER, Nigel Bradham 4th rnd pick could be solid starter or at least solid depth, Ron Brooks 4th rnd at least solid depth, Scott Chandler waiver pick up solid starter, Marcus Easley 4th rnd could be future solid starter, TJ Graham 3rd rnd could be solid starter, Donald Jones CFA at least solid depth, David Nelson CFA could be solid starter at least solid depth.

That list does not look like crap to me.

Novacane
12-13-2012, 07:17 PM
Well, Carrington has played well of late. He could get much better next year, FA Kyle Moore has also played well of late, Chris Hairston is at least solid depth, FA Eric Pears solid depth, Waiver pick up Sam Young solid depth, FA Nick Barnett SOLID starter, never leaves the field LEADER, Nigel Bradham 4th rnd pick could be solid starter or at least solid depth, Ron Brooks 4th rnd at least solid depth, Scott Chandler waiver pick up solid starter, Marcus Easley 4th rnd could be future solid starter, TJ Graham 3rd rnd could be solid starter, Donald Jones CFA at least solid depth, David Nelson CFA could be solid starter at least solid depth.

You could be right on the 2012 draft. I didn't rip that one. It's to early to judge but looks better than his 2010 and 2011 bust. From your own list he got 2 solid depth guys. Carrington and Hairston from TWO drafts!! Not one starter after first round? That SUCKS!!! We were talking draft but since you brought up FA and UDFA? Pears, Jones, Nelson, Young, Chandler and Barnett? I like those guys but if they are the best defense there is for Nix it's no wonder we suck so bad! Don't even get me started on Easely. The love that guy gets on this board for doing absolutely nothing is unbelievable!

GingerP
12-13-2012, 07:30 PM

Yet... they are 5 - 8. After going 6-10 last year. With "all that talent".

They say you are what your record says you are. If Nix was bringing in a lot of talent, they would be winning more games.

better days
12-13-2012, 08:52 PM
You could be right on the 2012 draft. I didn't rip that one. It's to early to judge but looks better than his 2010 and 2011 bust. From your own list he got 2 solid depth guys. Carrington and Hairston from TWO drafts!! Not one starter after first round? That SUCKS!!! We were talking draft but since you brought up FA and UDFA? Pears, Jones, Nelson, Young, Chandler and Barnett? I like those guys but if they are the best defense there is for Nix it's no wonder we suck so bad! Don't even get me started on Easely. The love that guy gets on this board for doing absolutely nothing is unbelievable!

Well, I was talking about Nix's ability to judge & get talented players for the Bills. Nix did not have his own scouting dept fully in place until just before the 2012 draft. Can't wait to see the next draft & as others have said, it could be his last before he steps aside for Whaley.

better days
12-13-2012, 08:54 PM

They say you are what your record says you are. If Nix was bringing in a lot of talent, they would be winning more games.

If he brought in a better QB they would have. Let's hope he gets the right guy for QB this year. I don't think any of us can take anymore picks like Losman & Edwards.

X-Era
12-14-2012, 05:50 AM

Ahh. The New England method.

I digress.

I agree that we only have a few holes. But I consider a hole to be a place where we have a backup starting. Upgrading a starter who is solid is not a hole in my mind. It's an upgrade.

Personally I think we have the following holes:
QB
ILB
OLB- (maybe 2)
CB
#2 WR

I say CB because we have Gilmore who is a solid starter at this point and no one solid opposite of him. Like many holes, the Bills may convince themselves that the young guy will develop into a solid starter. They may think Bradham and Aaron Williams will become solid starters. But I don't agree that we can necessarily bank on that. At OLB, Bradham and Barnett are both sub-par at this point. Adding an OLB is necessary, maybe two.

We always need depth and have many spots where we might like upgrades. C, G, SS are a few.

X-Era
12-14-2012, 05:52 AM

They say you are what your record says you are. If Nix was bringing in a lot of talent, they would be winning more games.I think this team is two games better with a legit QB and probably another game better with a solid ILB and OLB.

INT's to lose games and an inability to stop the run or cover the seems and flats. Those things alone cost us 3 games at least.