PDA

View Full Version : Nix: “Time’s now” to trade up for a QB

ThunderGun
12-14-2012, 08:36 AM
From PFT:

“Let me say this: I think there’s a time that in the era that you’re in and the development of your team, there’s a time when you can move up a round to take a quarterback,” Nix said on WGR, unsolicited (via Tim Graham of the Buffalo News). “And I think the time’s now for us.

“I mean, if a guy’s there — I keep saying that, and there’ll be one out there — if the guy’s there, then I think we’ll target — as I’ve said before — drafting a good quarterback. We need a good, young quarterback, and we’re going to do our best to get him.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/14/bills-gm-times-now-to-trade-up-for-a-qb/

The King
12-14-2012, 08:38 AM
He knows. And he's not hiding his cards, because everyone knows.

JoeMama
12-14-2012, 08:43 AM
The old soothe-sayer, Buddy Nix, is at it again.

Just when we're ready to bang our heads against a wall over Fitz, Nix saves the day and tells us what we want to hear. He's ready to get a QB.

Unfortunately for us, this is a terrible year for QBs.

The only guy I can envision being worthy of an upward trade is Geno Smith.

Luck and RGIII are any indication, you can win now with a rookie phenom.

We do have some weapons on this team, so it's not a situation where we'll be throwing a rookie QB to the wolves.

trapezeus
12-14-2012, 08:47 AM
i just want an accurate passer who can get the ball to the sidelines without a huge wind-up.

i need to see more on geno smith, but the way he couldn't win any of the tougher games has me very concerned.

ThunderGun
12-14-2012, 08:56 AM
The old soothe-sayer, Buddy Nix, is at it again.

Just when we're ready to bang our heads against a wall over Fitz, Nix saves the day and tells us what we want to hear. He's ready to get a QB.

Unfortunately for us, this is a terrible year for QBs.

The only guy I can envision being worthy of an upward trade is Geno Smith.

Luck and RGIII are any indication, you can win now with a rookie phenom.

We do have some weapons on this team, so it's not a situation where we'll be throwing a rookie QB to the wolves.

Well, just based on Nix's quote, it sounds more like they are talking about trading back into the 1st to get a QB....not necessarily making an RGIII like trade to get into the top 3.

The King
12-14-2012, 08:58 AM
I like everything I have read on Smith's studying. And I really want to avoid a SOCal boy. So I am hoping for Smith or Wilson if he falls.

cookie G
12-14-2012, 09:03 AM
Nix either has something in mind and is trying to get his fans accustomed to the idea of making a big move, or he’s been swayed by the marketing department to keep the 5-8 Bills pertinent by talking about a bold plan.

We'll go with the latter.

The King
12-14-2012, 09:06 AM
To be honest losing out would put us in a place where trading up would be moot.

Throne Logic
12-14-2012, 09:10 AM
Wow. If we give up something like what Washington did for the sake of drafting Gino Smith (or any other QB in this draft), this franchise will set itself up for yet another 5+ years of mediocrity.

That said, at least it might be a bit more of an entertaining mediocrity than we'd see on the current path. . .

GingerP
12-14-2012, 09:16 AM
Of course he said that. Hope is the only thing they have to sell.

cookie G
12-14-2012, 09:17 AM
i need to see more on geno smith, but the way he couldn't win any of the tougher games has me very concerned.

Many of his tougher games were shoot outs. I find it tough to blame a loss on a QB when they score 49 points, like he did against Oklahoma.

Kansas St. and Texas Tech did their best to take away the deep ball on him. Kansas St. did a great job of giving him the 5 yard throw, but using their open field tackling skills to keep the gain at 5 yards. Still, in that game, they would show a replay and it looked like the deep throw was there but he was tentative. His deep throws before that were when a guy had 5 yards on a DB. The window wasn't quit there as it had in the past, but it seemed to be there.

He throws a good ball and is VERY accurate.

Against Texas, he was very good about recognizing the blitz pre-snap and audibling.

I just don't see him getting past KC anyways. They're desperate for a QB, everyone knows it, and I don't think their fans would be happy with them trading away the ability to get him.

Same with Arizona.

justasportsfan
12-14-2012, 09:30 AM
With all the talk about this being a bad draft for qb's, is it too far fetched to think that there could be a Dalton , Kaepernick or a Russell Wilson from amongst the litter?

Albany,n.y.
12-14-2012, 09:34 AM
After seeing 3-5 starting NFL QBs that have been available when the Bills have drafted since Nix came here and he passed on, including 2nd & 3rd rounders, I have serious doubts about Nix's and the Bills scouts QB evaluation skills to make the right choice & trade up for the right guy.

Albany,n.y.
12-14-2012, 09:49 AM
With all the talk about this being a bad draft for qb's, is it too far fetched to think that there could be a Dalton , Kaepernick or a Russell Wilson from amongst the litter?

No, but considering how Buddy picked Aaron Williams & T.J. Graham instead of any of these 3 (2 of them the next 2 picks after Williams), what makes you think Buddy is competent enough to pick the guys equivalent to one of them & not do something stupid like last year when the Vikings saw a run on QBs & reached for Christian Ponder at 12 when both Dalton & Kaepernick were there for either a trade down in the 1st or a trade up in the 2nd? Buddy is more likely to mirror the Vikings than the 49ers who were originally drafting 2 spots behind the Vikings in the 2nd round & traded up 9 spots for Kaepernick. Minnesota would have been better off not reaching in the 1st & then doing what SF did in the 2nd, trading their 2nd & a 4th to move up for Kaepernick. Once again, it comes down to the quality of your scouting & board & I can't trust the Bills based on what they've done when QBs have been available in recent drafts.

justasportsfan
12-14-2012, 09:51 AM
No, but considering how Buddy picked Aaron Williams & T.J. Graham instead of any of these 3 (2 of them the next 2 picks after Williams), what makes you think Buddy is competent enough to pick the guys equivalent to one of them & not do something stupid like last year when the Vikings saw a run on QBs & reached for Christian Ponder at 12 when both Dalton & Kaepernick were there for either a trade down in the 1st or a trade up in the 2nd? Buddy is more likely to mirror the Vikings than the 49ers who were originally drafting 2 spots behind the Vikings in the 2nd round & traded up 9 spots for Kaepernick. Minnesota would have been better off not reaching in the 1st & then doing what SF did in the 2nd, trading their 2nd & a
4th to move up for Kaepernick. Once again, it comes down to the quality of your scouting & board & I can't trust the Bills based on what they've done when QBs have been available in recent drafts.

I was baffled about the Graham pick but Williams was considered a steal at the time and no one was complaining back then.

Nix may pull the trigger this time.

cookie G
12-14-2012, 09:52 AM

Nope. It'll just take a more work to find the right one, unless you just want to throw darts.

A cursory review at the Senior Bowl and combine won't be enough.

Miles and miles of tape study and dozens and dozens of interviews.

And what makes it tough is that it won't be narrowed down to 2-3 prospects, you're talking a dozen or more.

I said before, I'd outsource the job to Polian. I'm pretty sure he'd put in the time.

ThunderGun
12-14-2012, 10:07 AM
After seeing 3-5 starting NFL QBs that have been available when the Bills have drafted since Nix came here and he passed on, including 2nd & 3rd rounders, I have serious doubts about Nix's and the Bills scouts QB evaluation skills to make the right choice & trade up for the right guy.

Maybe he didn't want to draft a raw QB and throw him behind our crappy OLine. He finally has the OLine looking good, so it's time to get a QB.

stuckincincy
12-14-2012, 12:44 PM
Maybe he didn't want to draft a raw QB and throw him behind our crappy OLine. He finally has the OLine looking good, so it's time to get a QB.

That's kinda backward. If your OL is crap, don't let that stop you from grabbing a good qb prospect. You let him sit until you work on that OL as you see fit.

better days
12-14-2012, 02:24 PM
That's kinda backward. If your OL is crap, don't let that stop you from grabbing a good qb prospect. You let him sit until you work on that OL as you see fit.

Easier said than done. With the crap play of Fitz at QB, if there was a Rookie QB with potential sitting on the bench, fans would be SCREAMING for Fitz to be benched & start the Rookie. MANY young QBs have had their careers ruined that way.

ThunderGun
12-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Easier said than done. With the crap play of Fitz at QB, if there was a Rookie QB with potential sitting on the bench, fans would be SCREAMING for Fitz to be benched & start the Rookie. MANY young QBs have had their careers ruined that way.

Right. And, when these rookies are signed to 4 or 5 year deal, the pressure is high to get them on the field in year 1. If we draft a QB and he is signed for 4 years, do we really want him riding the bench for 1/4 of his time with the team?

Build the lines first, then plug in your QB.

trapezeus
12-14-2012, 02:39 PM
to be fair, our line had levitre and wood and playing in their proper position during year 1 of gailey. the journeymen we kept getting were doing ok. i don't remember watching a guy have a terrible terrible game on the OL in a long time. mistakes here and there, but they don't take many bad penalties and they are ok.

the time was last year, when there were 2 can't miss qb's to make the jump.

RGIII would have looked amazing in buffalo.

stuckincincy
12-14-2012, 02:42 PM
Right. And, when these rookies are signed to 4 or 5 year deal, the pressure is high to get them on the field in year 1. If we draft a QB and he is signed for 4 years, do we really want him riding the bench for 1/4 of his time with the team?

Build the lines first, then plug in your QB.

Think a Luck or a Griffin is on deck to be drafted this April?

better days
12-14-2012, 02:50 PM
Think a Luck or a Griffin is on deck to be drafted this April?

The Bills were in no position to draft Luck or Griffin last year, so what is your point? Who knows, there could be a Dalton or Kaepernick in this draft.

ParanoidAndroid
12-14-2012, 03:22 PM

2012 - Russell Wilson, Nick Foles, (Osweiler behind Manning)
2011 - Dalton, Kaepernick
2010 - Nada
2009 - Nada
2008 - Josh Johnson, Brian Broh.... oh yeah...never mind, Matt Flynn?
2007 - Trent Edw.... oops...did it again, Tyler Thig....dammit...why do I keep doing that?
2006 - Tarvaris Jack..... s***!

My point? The chances are not so great. Good luck.

stuckincincy
12-14-2012, 03:52 PM
The Bills were in no position to draft Luck or Griffin last year, so what is your point? Who knows, there could be a Dalton or Kaepernick in this draft.

Watched Dalton and Kaepernick the last few games?

Point is exactly as you say, you have to be in the right spot at the right time.

SABURZFAN
12-14-2012, 04:23 PM
just what we need.... a bunch of bumbling fools quick to pull the trigger on a bum for the upcoming draft when they passed on numerous QBs in past drafts. who will be our JP Lossman for next year?

SABURZFAN
12-14-2012, 04:24 PM
2012 - Russell Wilson, Nick Foles, (Osweiler behind Manning)
2011 - Dalton, Kaepernick
2010 - Nada
2009 - Nada
2008 - Josh Johnson, Brian Broh.... oh yeah...never mind, Matt Flynn?
2007 - Trent Edw.... oops...did it again, Tyler Thig....dammit...why do I keep doing that?
2006 - Tarvaris Jack..... s***!

My point? The chances are not so great. Good luck.

:chuckle:

great post. :up:

Albany,n.y.
12-14-2012, 04:56 PM

We didn't have a crappy line in each of the last 2 seasons until guys went out with injuries. The OL hasn't been a problem since Urbik & Pears were picked up in 2010. So Buddy has no excuse for Dalton, Kaepernick, Wilson or even Foles & Cousins. Instead Buddy is shouting from the rooftops that he's ready to draft a QB after eschewing a QB in 2 rich QB drafts & plunging into what might be the thinnest QB pool in the last 3 years. One things for sure, when Buddy said he wasn't the brightest guy in the room, he wasn't kidding.

YardRat
12-14-2012, 05:23 PM
Build the lines, and the defense first, then get the QB when you can. I have zero issue with the approach.

Funny how everybody this season is now talking about Kaepernick and Wilson, and nobody is all over Cam Newton's nutsack anymore.

DynaPaul
12-14-2012, 07:13 PM
The time to trade up was last year. Of course the last time we traded up we wound up with JP Losman who set the franchise back many years. I don't have much faith that Buddy will get it right.

kingJofNYC
12-14-2012, 07:48 PM
After the listening to the interview I came away thinking theyre going QB WR with their first two selections. Sounds like they want Steve in the slot.

DraftBoy
12-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Nix went fishing.

BertSquirtgum
12-14-2012, 08:41 PM
Nix should fire himself.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Build the lines, and the defense first, then get the QB when you can. I have zero issue with the approach.

If he had actually successfully built a defense or his handpicked coach had emphasized the running game like he should, I might agree with you.

Funny how everybody this season is now talking about Kaepernick and Wilson, and nobody is all over Cam Newton's nutsack anymore.

Have you been following Carolina? Cam had a rough start to the season but he has been on fire since Halloween. His running game and defense have utterly collapsed, but he's accounted for 15 TDs and 2 turnovers in 6 games.

clumping platelets
12-14-2012, 10:27 PM
Montana was a 3rd rd pick, Brady a 6th rd pick

Just sayin'

Night Train
12-15-2012, 06:43 AM
He knows. And he's not hiding his cards, because everyone knows.
He knows he ****ed up the QB position with Fitz and may now overpick a QB while passing on a better player in Round 1. If Te'o is sitting there and we pass him up, I'll scream.

Throne Logic
12-15-2012, 08:51 AM

To add to what a number of others said, I think a number of us were also interested to see if Fitz could take his play to the next level behind a really good O-line. Now we know.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-15-2012, 09:53 AM
Montana was a 3rd rd pick, Brady a 6th rd pick

Just sayin'
Exceptions do not make a rule.

BillsWin
12-15-2012, 01:07 PM
Tyler Wilson is probably the guy.

YardRat
12-15-2012, 03:49 PM
If he had actually successfully built a defense or his handpicked coach had emphasized the running game like he should, I might agree with you.

He's acquired the talent that could accomplish both, his footsoldiers have failed miserably.

Have you been following Carolina? Cam had a rough start to the season but he has been on fire since Halloween. His running game and defense have utterly collapsed, but he's accounted for 15 TDs and 2 turnovers in 6 games.

And nobody is yacking him up like they were last season.

TrEd FTW
12-15-2012, 04:00 PM
He's acquired the talent that could accomplish both, his footsoldiers have failed miserably.

He has? There are still numerous problem areas littered throughout the roster. They need a quarterback, a top two receiver, an entirely new starting linebacker corps and multiple defensive backs. Combine that with Nix's failed head coaching hire and it's plain to see that his tenure as GM has been an unmitigated disaster so far.

YardRat
12-15-2012, 07:44 PM
He has? There are still numerous problem areas littered throughout the roster. They need a quarterback, a top two receiver, an entirely new starting linebacker corps and multiple defensive backs. Combine that with Nix's failed head coaching hire and it's plain to see that his tenure as GM has been an unmitigated disaster so far.

There isn't a roster in the league that doesn't have weaknesses, holes, or individual positions that could be upgraded. No team is complete.

They have added talent on both lines, TE, RB, and in the secondary.
They have failed to address QB and to a lesser extent WR, and those are based on results, not effort.
Every team in the league is always looking for CB's.
LBer is a work in progress.

Coaching, I agree, but considering the level of talent that was on this roster previously we're really only a couple of players and a new coaching staff away from being competitive. I'll take this group of players over the 2009 roster all day long.

ThunderGun
12-15-2012, 08:06 PM
Nope. I'd gladly take a Flacco or a Ryan though.

TrEd FTW
12-15-2012, 08:24 PM
There isn't a roster in the league that doesn't have weaknesses, holes, or individual positions that could be upgraded. No team is complete.

The roster isn't even mediocre, let alone complete. The Bills are a whopping 5-8 this year against an extremely easy schedule despite all their alleged talent. Coaching has played into that, absolutely, but so has a lack of talent.

In three years Nix has brought in, by my count, 10 worthwhile players: CJ Spiller, Cordy Glenn, Kraig Urbik, Scott Chandler, David Nelson, Donald Jones, Mario Williams, Kyle Moore, Marcel Dareus and Stephon Gilmore (let me know if I left anyone out). A few of those players are mediocre, so I was pretty lenient in even mentioning them. In any event, 10 players since 2010 isn't even close to enough, especially when Nix has entrusted the two most important jobs on the team to Chan Gailey and Ryan Fitzpatrick. He's an F-grade GM.

YardRat
12-15-2012, 08:34 PM
The roster isn't even mediocre, let alone complete. The Bills are a whopping 5-8 this year against an extremely easy schedule despite all their alleged talent. Coaching has played into that, absolutely, but so has a lack of talent.

In three years Nix has brought in, by my count, 10 worthwhile players: CJ Spiller, Cordy Glenn, Kraig Urbik, Scott Chandler, David Nelson, Donald Jones, Mario Williams, Kyle Moore, Marcel Dareus and Stephon Gilmore (let me know if I left anyone out). A few of those players are mediocre, so I was pretty lenient in even mentioning them. In any event, 10 players since 2010 isn't even close to enough, especially when Nix has entrusted the two most important jobs on the team to Chan Gailey and Ryan Fitzpatrick. He's an F-grade GM.

You're leaving out a few that are first or second year players that still could become solid. Pretty tough to judge guys when their NFL balls haven't even dropped yet.

TrEd FTW
12-15-2012, 08:37 PM
That's offset by the fact that I included several young players who have started well but could easily end up fizzling out.