PDA

View Full Version : The competition for Smith, Barkley and Wilson

The King
12-14-2012, 08:55 AM
Nix has now said publicly that this is the year we "go after" a young Qb.

“Let me say this: I think there’s a time that in the era that you’re in and the development of your team, there’s a time when you can move up a round to take a quarterback,” Nix said on WGR, unsolicited (via Tim Graham of the Buffalo News). “And I think the time’s now for us.

“I mean, if a guy’s there — I keep saying that, and there’ll be one out there — if the guy’s there, then I think we’ll target — as I’ve said before — drafting a good quarterback. We need a good, young quarterback, and we’re going to do our best to get him.”

These are the big three QB's that people are focusing on right now so for the sake of argument we will go with that.

Geno Smith
Matt Barkley
Tyler Wilson

To avoid getting one by default the JP Losman treatment (meaning two are drafted before us). Let's look at the projected draft order and where we would have to make our move.

1. KC
2. JAX
3. OAK
4. PHI
5. CAR
6. TEN
7. AZ
8. DET
9. SD
10. BUF

Of this list only 4 teams are "set" at QB (CAR, TEN, DET SD). KC is going to be forced to take a QB at 1 (most likely Smith), and they would also be impossible to trade with.

Jacksonville shouldn't go QB, being only 2 years removed from taking Gabbart but it's Mularkeys show now so he probably has the option to move on.

Oakland is where it gets interesting. Palmer has produced albeit inconstantly, but they need a lot of help and they're without a second rounder. So moving back a few spots and picking up some picks in the process may be intriguing for them. The question is do we have to move up to 3 to get the QB we want? Arizona would be the biggest threat on the clock at 7, and I am not sure we have to jump them 4 picks to make the deal.

I personally am the most interested in Smith, so if KC passes on him and takes another QB or another player all together I think that that OAK trade becomes interesting. If Smith is gone, I would probably be OK with taking whoever is left at 10.

What are your thoughts?

OpIv37
12-14-2012, 09:33 AM
I don't think any of those guys are worth giving up more than swapping picks and a 2nd rounder, which probably isn't enough to get the deal done.

stuckincincy
12-14-2012, 09:38 AM
What are your thoughts?

It's going to be a spirited race to the bottom...

KC:
@OAK
IND
@DEN

JAX:
@MIN
NE
@TEN

OAK:
KC
@CAR
@SD

PHI:
WAS
@NYJ

CAR:
@SD OAK
@NO

TEN:
NYJ
@GB
JAX

DET:
@AZ
ATL
CHI

AZ::
DET
CHI
@SF

DET:
@AZ
CHI
@SF

k-oneputt
12-14-2012, 09:50 AM
I really think Tyler Wilson is the guy they will target, and it sounds like Nix is going to do what he has to by those comments.

Mouldsie
12-14-2012, 09:51 AM
Ugh. Always a day late and dollar short

justasportsfan
12-14-2012, 10:17 AM
I like Wilson. From the little that I've seen too, Nassib is a baller and like him as a project.

TigerJ
12-14-2012, 10:35 AM
I like eiither Smith or Wilson, and I don't like Barkley. Best case scenario for me would be KC decides Barkley is the top QB in the draft, and they take him off the board and out of possibility for the Bills. I doubt two other QBs go before Buffalo picks since this QB class lacks the elite guy.

If, however, Buffalo opts for a different position in the first round (WR, LB, DE) the are several QBs I like who aren't much of a reach where Buffalo is likely to be picking in round 2. Thus, a trade up may not be necessary.

Ed
12-14-2012, 10:42 AM
I'd be excited if we landed Smith or Wilson. I have no interest in Barkley.

Nix did mention moving up a round to get a qb in that quote, so maybe they're not targeting one of those guys and he's talking about trading back into the 1st for someone else.

ServoBillieves
12-14-2012, 11:05 AM
I think we could easily land a guy like Landry Jones in the second, and I wouldn't mind that. Trading up in to the top 10 for one of the guys listed though... I dunno, with the problems on this team we can't pull a Redskins and trade away our draft for a hit or miss.

EricStratton
12-14-2012, 11:21 AM
I think Barkley, is his shoulder is ok, will dazzle some teams in the pre-draft work and move way up on some boards.

That should work in our favor

coastal
12-14-2012, 11:21 AM
QBs will drop this year and this is about trading back up from the second to get one.

nix is also hoping T'eo is there for us in the first.

Mr. Miyagi
12-14-2012, 11:28 AM
KC:
@OAK
IND
@DEN

AZ::
DET
CHI
@SF

0-6

Mr. Miyagi
12-14-2012, 11:32 AM
QBs will drop this year and this is about trading back up from the second to get one.

T'eo at 10 and Landry Jones in the 2nd. :up:

stuckincincy
12-14-2012, 11:49 AM
0-6

Could be.

Wherever OAK lands, I'd be surprised if they would budge more than a spot, owing CIN their #2.

The King
12-14-2012, 11:54 AM
T'eo at 10 and Landry Jones in the 2nd. :up:
Cream jeans.

Mouldsie
12-14-2012, 01:01 PM
There is at least 1 NFL team that has no QB with a 1st round grade right as of now

kishoph
12-14-2012, 01:13 PM
I'd be excited if we landed Smith or Wilson. I have no interest in Barkley.

Nix did mention moving up a round to get a qb in that quote, so maybe they're not targeting one of those guys and he's talking about trading back into the 1st for someone else.

This what I got from his interview, I'd rather try to move up in round 1, but if he moves up into round 1, there should at least be a future starter there.

Mr. Magoo
12-14-2012, 02:03 PM
I am still really high on Glennon, but Wilson is a close second.

RedEyE
12-14-2012, 02:07 PM
As a lifelong Bills fan, it won't be enough to draft one of these guys. If 2 out of 3 flourish it's obvious the 3rd guy will be the lame duck in Buffalo red, white and blue.

I think they'll need to have a back-up plan. Like pulling in an Alex Smith as well.

k-oneputt
12-14-2012, 02:20 PM
I would draft two qb's.
I know some will say that we have other positions to take care of, but the most important position hasn't been taking care of.

better days
12-14-2012, 02:36 PM

With so MANY teams having a desperate need at QB I don't see that happening. I think the QBs in this class will be overdrafted as they have been in the past & will continue to be forevermore.

trapezeus
12-14-2012, 03:15 PM
i say overdraft then. take two. take a high graded guy and over shoot if you must.

and then take a 3-5 round project guy.

tampabay25690
12-14-2012, 04:39 PM
I like Geno alot.
After that Tyler Wilson is the guy I want...
Guy can throw the rock, had a tuff year with everything that went on at Arkansas......

jamze132
12-15-2012, 02:20 AM
Well if Teo is sitting there for us in RD 1, you pick Teo over any of these QBs.

Bert102176
12-15-2012, 04:23 AM
I would draft two qb's.
I know some will say that we have other positions to take care of, but the most important position hasn't been taking care of.

and it hasn't been taken care of in years but its a year late for a great qb but they need manti te'o with that first pick heck i dont think any of these qb's this year are top 52 pick worthy

ServoBillieves
12-15-2012, 04:39 AM
Well if Teo is sitting there for us in RD 1, you pick Teo over any of these QBs.

If Te'o is there and we don't draft him, I will slam my face repeatedly against a wall.

As for drafting 2 QB's, I wouldn't be averse to that. If we could pull a Te'o round 1, Landry Jones Rd.2/late Rd.1, then a project later, that'd be good in my book. The only QB I don't want early is Tyler Bray. Watching him was painful at some points this year.