PDA

View Full Version : BBD: Potential Coaching Replacements

DraftBoy
12-17-2012, 07:21 AM
http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2012/12/potential-buffalo-bills-head-coach-replacements/

The last time the Bills tried to fill it’s coaching vacancy it did not go well at all. It was a tough spot to fill because of uncertainty across the board as well as a roster that was not filled with a whole lot of NFL talent. This time around though the Bills’ job is a little more attractive because the talent level on the roster has been increased. However, some of the big red flags also remain, including ownership of the team. While it’s not a definite that the Bills will relieve Chan Gailey of his position, we like to be prepared. Here’s a quick look at some of the positives and negatives to becoming the head coach of the Buffalo Bill.

The most comprehensive look at 29 different candidates for the job that anybody has done to date.

The King
12-17-2012, 07:25 AM
After seeing these guys quit yesterday, I can't imagine Nix has a choice. It's one thing for all the players to say they love Gailey, it's another to fight for him. They haven't.

gebobs
12-17-2012, 07:29 AM
Definitely being major-leagued. There's no denying it anymore.

Then again, I thought the time for denying that Gailey and Fitz were train wrecks came years ago.

TacklingDummy
12-17-2012, 07:36 AM
What's that old saying?

Is it...wash, rinse, repeat?

Gregg Williams
Mike Mularkey
Dick Jauron
Perry Fewell
Chan Gailey
Who's next???

Night Train
12-17-2012, 07:43 AM
It has to be somebody old that Ralph once met. Otherwise, forget it.

DraftBoy
12-17-2012, 08:01 AM
After seeing these guys quit yesterday, I can't imagine Nix has a choice. It's one thing for all the players to say they love Gailey, it's another to fight for him. They haven't.

Agreed, just can't assume anything. Only reason Im running this is because I think its a likely change.

- - - Updated - - -

What's that old saying?

Is it...wash, rinse, repeat?

Gregg Williams
Mike Mularkey
Dick Jauron
Perry Fewell
Chan Gailey
Who's next???

Not sure you can include Fewell in that list, he was merely an interim and honestly never got a fair shot.

jpdex12
12-17-2012, 08:21 AM
Agreed, just can't assume anything. Only reason Im running this is because I think its a likely change.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure you can include Fewell in that list, he was merely an interim and honestly never got a fair shot.

I think Ariens will be a good candidate especially since he has ties with Pittrsburgh as does Whaley. I'mn guessing WHaley will have strong say in this decision.

Skooby
12-17-2012, 08:27 AM
Without a new GM, Nix will find another hick to dance to his song. Let's get Polian back with son in tow, that'll wake Ralph up.

JoeMama
12-17-2012, 08:36 AM
BBD?

Even Bel Biv Devoe thinks our coach is poison.

Mr. Pink
12-17-2012, 04:10 PM
We have a pattern with this franchise. We go from Offensive minded guys to defensive back to offensive.

Judging by this trend, we'll likely be looking at another defensive minded guy to come in to be HC.

With your article and guys listed I'd expect Zimmer and Haslett to be the favorites.

YardRat
12-17-2012, 04:20 PM
As much as I like the base, nobody with a 34 background please.

mrbojanglezs
12-17-2012, 04:29 PM
Without a new GM, Nix will find another hick to dance to his song. Let's get Polian back with son in tow, that'll wake Ralph up.

In Nix's defense he was targeting some big name coaches include harbaugh and they all turned us down.

DraftBoy
12-17-2012, 04:45 PM
As much as I like the base, nobody with a 34 background please.

Id make that a requirement (that they run a 34).

YardRat
12-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Id make that a requirement (that they run a 34).

Hell no. We don't have the linemen OR the LBers to run a proper 34, and that means breaking down and completely rebuilding again.

DraftBoy
12-17-2012, 05:18 PM
Hell no. We don't have the linemen OR the LBers to run a proper 34, and that means breaking down and completely rebuilding again.

We have three of the lineman, and two of the LB's.

Williams, and Anderson shift to OLB.

Dareus-Williams-Moore (who is already around 270)

Williams-Shepp-Draft Pick-Anderson

Allow your CB's to play more man, which Gilmore and Brooks are better at and add a SS to help more in the box.

Mouldsie
12-17-2012, 05:32 PM
Great job

BertSquirtgum
12-17-2012, 06:00 PM
Why don't you have Trestman on that list?

DraftBoy
12-17-2012, 06:17 PM
Why don't you have Trestman on that list?

I dont want to speak for the author but while I believe his name is always whispered he never seems to get legit interviews or make it as a finalist, so is he ever a legitimate candidate? My assumption would be that the author didn't think so.

ServoBillieves
12-17-2012, 06:19 PM
No use in pretending a person who's name we actually know would be a coaching candidate. We were all clamoring for Gailey last time right?

Pipe dreams are really nice, but won't happen.

BertSquirtgum
12-17-2012, 06:19 PM
What do you think about Jim Schwartz if he gets fired?

DraftBoy
12-17-2012, 06:58 PM
What do you think about Jim Schwartz if he gets fired?

I think he has to hire a great OC.

BertSquirtgum
12-17-2012, 07:50 PM
I like him as a head coach.

YardRat
12-17-2012, 08:54 PM
We have three of the lineman, and two of the LB's.

Williams, and Anderson shift to OLB.

Dareus-Williams-Moore (who is already around 270)

Williams-Shepp-Draft Pick-Anderson

Allow your CB's to play more man, which Gilmore and Brooks are better at and add a SS to help more in the box.

Oh, God no.

Neither Williams or Anderson can play OLB. I've seen enough of that already.

Dareus can play end, I know you think that's his best position, but K.Williams was over-rated as an NT and I don't think Moore fits as DE in 34. Who cares if he's 270, weight isn't the only factor.

I already addressed LBer, that squad just emphasizes the point.

Cover shell can be more man, regardless of the front, so that's a moot point. Yes, we need a new SS, but again that is true regardless of the base.

DraftBoy
12-17-2012, 09:14 PM
Oh, God no.

Neither Williams or Anderson can play OLB. I've seen enough of that already.

Dareus can play end, I know you think that's his best position, but K.Williams was over-rated as an NT and I don't think Moore fits as DE in 34. Who cares if he's 270, weight isn't the only factor.

I already addressed LBer, that squad just emphasizes the point.

Cover shell can be more man, regardless of the front, so that's a moot point. Yes, we need a new SS, but again that is true regardless of the base.

Mario can't play OLB? Did you watch him in HOU as a OLB? 5 sacks in 5 games in 2011. Anderson I'll give you that. 34 OLB's are easy to find, Mingo, Jones, Jordan, etc...

He wasn't over rated at all, he was incredible good, and I thought he'd be a horrible fit. True, but he also has length, plays with good leverage, sheds, and has a nice power base.

Nothing worse with that squad than we have now.

So if nothing is changing, why would you be so adamantly against it? It's not like we're kicking ass in the current 43 or that we have stellar personnel in place.

YardRat
12-17-2012, 09:24 PM
Mario can't play OLB? Did you watch him in HOU as a OLB? 5 sacks in 5 games in 2011. Anderson I'll give you that. 34 OLB's are easy to find, Mingo, Jones, Jordan, etc...

He wasn't over rated at all, he was incredible good, and I thought he'd be a horrible fit. True, but he also has length, plays with good leverage, sheds, and has a nice power base.

Nothing worse with that squad than we have now.

So if nothing is changing, why would you be so adamantly against it? It's not like we're kicking ass in the current 43 or that we have stellar personnel in place.

Phillips has actually employed more of a 52 base than 34, and Williams was still basically an end in those five games in Houston.

We'll just have to disagree on KW. His power base may be 'nice', but it certainly isn't even average for what's necessary for a true NT. Not to mention lack of a true NT certainly was a factor in the 34 failing miserably for Edwards' tenure here as DC.

Except we also have Bradham who you have kicked to the curb but has become a decent OLB in a short time. ****ty coaching aside, it's not a coincidence that the defense against the run began to improve this season when he and Moore took over starting spots in the front seven. Why take another step back by negating yet another draft pick and yet again trying to fit square pegs in round holes?

IMO the issue right now, save for a couple of positions, isn't so much personnel as it is youth and coaching.

BertSquirtgum
12-17-2012, 09:28 PM
I hate Buddy Nix and want him fired before Chanly.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/03/buddy-nix-says-chan-gailey-will-definitely-coach-the-bills-in-2013/

DraftBoy
12-17-2012, 09:29 PM
Phillips has actually employed more of a 52 base than 34, and Williams was still basically an end in those five games in Houston.

We'll just have to disagree on KW. His power base may be 'nice', but it certainly isn't even average for what's necessary for a true NT. Not to mention lack of a true NT certainly was a factor in the 34 failing miserably for Edwards' tenure here as DC.

Except we also have Bradham who you have kicked to the curb but has become a decent OLB in a short time. ****ty coaching aside, it's not a coincidence that the defense against the run began to improve this season when he and Moore took over starting spots in the front seven. Why take another step back by negating yet another draft pick and yet again trying to fit square pegs in round holes?

IMO the issue right now, save for a couple of positions, isn't so much personnel as it is youth and coaching.

He was still rushing out the 2 point stance a good bit.

Fair enough, I'd be fine adding a massive body like a Jesse Williams.

Bradham could shift inside in a 34 scheme, what's the issue?

Im not taking a step back, I believe the move is a step forward. Get aggressive, play to your youth, and help mask your largest issues (LB).

1st-Jordan
2nd-Nassib
3rd-Williams

and you're well on your way.

Ed
12-17-2012, 11:15 PM
What about Jack Del Rio, DC with the Broncos right now? I'm sure he'd be interested in another HC gig and could be intrigued by our DL talent.

jimmifli
12-18-2012, 02:00 AM
BBD?

Even Bel Biv Devoe thinks our coach is poison.

I was going to past a witty reply using one of BBD's other hits. sadface.