PDA

View Full Version : Has there ever been a NFL Team and Organization this inept?

blackonyx89
12-17-2012, 08:59 AM
I'm a fan of for 30 years and I have to say, will this team ever be competitive again?
It seems no matter what they do, they either fall short or fail completely and it sheds a
very negative light for the franchise and the region. I hate saying that and the only way
this team will ever get ahead is that a new owner with an aggressive vision to make this
team get back to respectablity. As long as Ralph's around and history has proven it, this
team will never win, the truth is in what you see on the field and the Bills front office and
has been going on for decades. The only saving grace this franchise ever had was Polian
and Butler and ultimately Ralph mess that up too. It's so painful to speak the truth.
:sad:

Generalissimus Gibby
12-17-2012, 09:07 AM
Chicago/St. Louis/Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals, Detroit Lions, Dallas Texans (the fifties team, not the one that became the Chiefs, and not the current Texans club in Houston), Tampa Bay Buccaneers (from 1983 to 1996), New York Jets, The Pittsburgh Steelers (before Noll, Bradshaw, and the Steel Curtain) but yeah we have it pretty bad now.

IAG
12-17-2012, 09:16 AM
How did RW make the Hall of Fame?

ticatfan
12-17-2012, 09:27 AM
The flutie curse is alive and well. You need to have a appreciation day for him , and maybe that will fix it.

JoeMama
12-17-2012, 09:28 AM

He's part of the old boy fraternal order.

Token HOF appointments come with the territory apparently -- no matter how incompetent.

trapezeus
12-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Ringo star is celebrated as being part of a legendary band. ralph wilson gets the same courtesy by being part of the original ownership group.

as for what he's done in the last 20 years, he maybe saw the latest lockout coming before the younger owners who just wanted to keep taking money out in luxury boxes and forcing fans to watch the game from home.

pmoon6
12-17-2012, 11:22 AM
The '71, '84 and '85 Bills were more inept.

OpIv37
12-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Chicago/St. Louis/Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals, Detroit Lions, Dallas Texans (the fifties team, not the one that became the Chiefs, and not the current Texans club in Houston), Tampa Bay Buccaneers (from 1983 to 1996), New York Jets, The Pittsburgh Steelers (before Noll, Bradshaw, and the Steel Curtain) but yeah we have it pretty bad now.

With the possible exception of the Cardinals, none of those organizations have been this inept for this long.

We used to be able to say "well, at least we're not Arizona/Detroit/Cleveland," but now we can't even say that because this organization continues to raise the bar for futility.

psubills62
12-19-2012, 10:35 AM
Doubt it. Incompetence all around.

Generalissimus Gibby
12-19-2012, 10:39 AM
With the possible exception of the Cardinals, none of those organizations have been this inept for this long.

We used to be able to say "well, at least we're not Arizona/Detroit/Cleveland," but now we can't even say that because this organization continues to raise the bar for futility.

Look up the pre Noll Steelers, that was one very inept organization. Detroit has also been just as morbid, they're the only team last I checked to have more than one winless season.

OpIv37
12-19-2012, 10:43 AM

I said before and I'll say it again: I want to get on the Ralph Wilson life plan. I want to do one great thing before I turn 40, then be mediocre and do the bare minimum for the next 50+ years while my bank account grows exponentially and people heap praises on me for simply not undoing the one great thing that I did.

He has swindled us on almost a Bernie Madoff scale but did it all 100% legally.

stuckincincy
12-19-2012, 10:57 AM

You forgot CIN...

BLeonard
12-19-2012, 01:07 PM
I'm a fan of for 30 years and I have to say, will this team ever be competitive again?
It seems no matter what they do, they either fall short or fail completely and it sheds a
very negative light for the franchise and the region. I hate saying that and the only way
this team will ever get ahead is that a new owner with an aggressive vision to make this
team get back to respectablity. As long as Ralph's around and history has proven it, this
team will never win, the truth is in what you see on the field and the Bills front office and
has been going on for decades. The only saving grace this franchise ever had was Polian
and Butler and ultimately Ralph mess that up too. It's so painful to speak the truth.
:sad:

The problem is, fans and Ralph (and, by extension, the Front Office) have two different definitions of "winning":

Fan's Definition: Being successful on the football field.
Ralph's Definition: Selling tickets, merchandise and concessions

Even when the Bills have been losers on the field, Ralph has been a winner.

Hell, listen to Russ Brandon when he talks. It's never about "winning games," it's always about "moving inventory" (his codeword for tickets).

Then, he tries to say "Well, the Bills have never sold well in December, so it's not because of the team winning or losing."

But, he conveniently leaves out the fact that, in recent years, Decembers in Buffalo haven't been that awful bad, especially if you take into account what December gameday weather looked like in the 90's.

-Bill

BLeonard
12-19-2012, 01:12 PM

This probably had something to do with it: http://www.profootballhof.com/enshrinement/2011/8/3/hof-receives-gift-from-ralph-c-wilson-foundation/

The Pro Football Hall of Fame has announced that the Ralph C. Wilson Foundation has made a charitable gift of $2.5 million to support the museum’s $27 million “Future 50” Expansion & Renovation Project.

The gift will be used to fund a new 10,000-square-foot Pro Football Research and Preservation Center. In recognition of Mr. Wilson’s generous contribution, the Pro Football Hall of Fame Board of Trustees will honor him by naming the center the “Ralph Wilson, Jr. Pro Football Research and Preservation Center.”

He was inducted in 2009... Two years later, he donates a couple million to get his name on a building there. Coincidence?

-Bill

Trample
12-19-2012, 04:41 PM
This is a silly frustrated statement. There have been plenty of terrible teams for long periods of time. William Clay Ford and the Lions anyone? They were still garbagey when they had freaking Barry Sanders!

BLeonard
12-19-2012, 05:08 PM
This is a silly frustrated statement. There have been plenty of terrible teams for long periods of time. William Clay Ford and the Lions anyone? They were still garbagey when they had freaking Barry Sanders!

The Lions never missed the playoffs 13 years in a row when they had Barry Sanders, either.

-Bill

Albany,n.y.
12-19-2012, 05:18 PM
The Barry Sanders Lions made it to the NFC Championship game one year. They lost 41-10 to the Redskins who went on to beat us in SB XXVI

Thurmal
12-19-2012, 06:13 PM
Detroit has one playoff win in 50 years...as much as we suck, that's the worst.

Mike
12-20-2012, 02:41 AM
He's part of the old boy fraternal order.

Token HOF appointments come with the territory apparently -- no matter how incompetent.

He helped grow the sport into what it is today.

Bill Cody
12-20-2012, 09:43 AM

Not really. Unless just being an owner qualifies for that credit. Has he been a leader in the league? If so, how? The only reason he still owns the team instead of selling it to a local group is greed and ego. Period.

ticatfan
12-20-2012, 09:48 AM
This is a silly frustrated statement. There have been plenty of terrible teams for long periods of time. William Clay Ford and the Lions anyone? They were still garbagey when they had freaking Barry Sanders!My ticats have the worst record in all pro sports.

OpIv37
12-20-2012, 09:49 AM
Really? How? What does this mean exactly?

stuckincincy
12-20-2012, 01:19 PM
My ticats have the worst record in all pro sports.

Close loss - 43 -40 to the (hated) Argos knocked 'em out. I thought Hamilton would have been in the Grey Cup, start of the season. Oh well...

JoeMama
12-20-2012, 04:59 PM

No, he helped himself to lots and lots of money then ran the franchise into the ground.

He's in the hall for being a member of the old boy fraternity. Nothing else.

0 superbowl rings
17 years without a playoff win
13 years without a playoff appearance

SABURZFAN
12-20-2012, 05:21 PM

The Old Fart BOUGHT his way in.