PDA

View Full Version : Bills, Urbik agree to $15 million extension

BLeonard
12-18-2012, 02:54 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/52504/bills-urbik-agree-to-15-million-extension

It turns out that both sides worked into the night and finalized an agreement. A source tells ESPN.com's AFC East blog that Urbik and the Bills agreed to a four-year, $15 million extension.

Urbik is a two-year starter for Buffalo who has the versatility to play both guard spots and center. He is one of the anchors of an offensive line behind which Bills tailback C.J. Spiller recorded his first 1,000-yard season.

-Bill

clumping platelets
12-18-2012, 03:51 AM
:clap:

Night Train
12-18-2012, 04:05 AM
Kelsay must be furious.

IAG
12-18-2012, 05:03 AM
Looks like Buddy is returning.

X-Era
12-18-2012, 05:25 AM
No issue. He's more useful than Brad Smith who makes about as much.

Mr. Pink
12-18-2012, 05:31 AM
Just think what Levitre is thinking right now.

Urbik, while not a bum, is basically just another guy. Levitre is actually good.

He should demand almost 7m per year.

X-Era
12-18-2012, 05:36 AM

Urbik, while not a bum, is basically just another guy. Levitre is actually good.

He should demand almost 7m per year.Let me find the article I saw on Levitre's worth... It's around Carl Nicks contract.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1222090-2013-nfl-free-agency-buffalo-bills-should-sign-andy-levitre-before-jairus-byrd

"Taking a look at these numbers, if Levitre keeps up his solid play throughout the 2012 season, he could be in line for a Nicks-like deal. It would be very wise to re-sign him prior to the season to a team and player-friendly contract in the $38 million range. If they fail to re-sign him, using the franchise tag on an offensive lineman is extremely costly, as the cap number for linemen (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/lower-numbers-could-lead-record-franchise-tag-designations-152702753.html) is set at $9.383 million"

I'm thinking 5 for 35... 7 mill agreed.

Mr. Miyagi
12-18-2012, 05:38 AM
Why is Brad Smith on the team still?

YardRat
12-18-2012, 05:42 AM
Well, at least they are starting to address the low-hanging fruit.

Mr. Pink
12-18-2012, 05:52 AM
Let me find the article I saw on Levitre's worth... It's around Carl Nicks contract.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1222090-2013-nfl-free-agency-buffalo-bills-should-sign-andy-levitre-before-jairus-byrd

"Taking a look at these numbers, if Levitre keeps up his solid play throughout the 2012 season, he could be in line for a Nicks-like deal. It would be very wise to re-sign him prior to the season to a team and player-friendly contract in the $38 million range. If they fail to re-sign him, using the franchise tag on an offensive lineman is extremely costly, as the cap number for linemen (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/lower-numbers-could-lead-record-franchise-tag-designations-152702753.html) is set at $9.383 million"

I'm thinking 5 for 35... 7 mill agreed.

I'm thinking he's gone. Byrd needs to be resigned or tagged. Then there's the QB issue where if we go into FA to get one, it's gonna cost major dollars. Plus some of their current players with rather large increases in salary + bonuses next year.

The economics simply won't be there to retain Levitre.

Buddo
12-18-2012, 05:54 AM
Good move, and reasonable too. Particularly as he's not a bad back up center. I'm sure if we had any decent guards left fit, he would have been at C instead of Snow, or maybe if we had any spare tackles, then Young might be inside and Urbik at C.
I think it also sends out a sign to Levitre, that they genuinely want to keep the group together, which can only help in any negotiations with him.
Nix has always preached about the need to keep hold of the good players you have, and has pretty much followed through on that. If he gets Byrd and Levitre re-signed as well, then there can be no complaints about his performance on that particular score.

Night Train
12-18-2012, 05:59 AM
Why is Brad Smith on the team still? Same reason Ryan Fitzpatrick is our starting QB.

Because the owner is fine with 5-6 wins, while making :$:

X-Era
12-18-2012, 06:00 AM
I'm thinking he's gone. Byrd needs to be resigned or tagged. Then there's the QB issue where if we go into FA to get one, it's gonna cost major dollars. Plus some of their current players with rather large increases in salary + bonuses next year.

The economics simply won't be there to retain Levitre.I think the money will be there.

Buddo
12-18-2012, 06:03 AM

I wouldn't be too sure about that, tbh. Kelsay is probably done, particularly if they can re-sign Moore, who should come cheaper. Mcgee will be gone also. If they can get a deal done for Levitre, then they can tag Byrd, which is the least expensive option between tagging either/or.

Thigpen will go, also, as will Tarvaris Jackson. There's quite a bit of money in various places that will be saved to go towards getting room for guys like Byrd and Levitre.
Where it could be a concern, is in FA, where there might not be much available to make any sort of 'splash'.

X-Era
12-18-2012, 06:06 AM
I wouldn't be too sure about that, tbh. Kelsay is probably done, particularly if they can re-sign Moore, who should come cheaper. Mcgee will be gone also. If they can get a deal done for Levitre, then they can tag Byrd, which is the least expensive option between tagging either/or.

Thigpen will go, also, as will Tarvaris Jackson. There's quite a bit of money in various places that will be saved to go towards getting room for guys like Byrd and Levitre.
Where it could be a concern, is in FA, where there might not be much available to make any sort of 'splash'.
Check my other thread. I've found some preliminary numbers. Not sure to the accuracy at this point.

Mr. Pink
12-18-2012, 06:10 AM

Mario Williams, if he makes all his option bonuses, will eat up all of those dollars saved by himself and then some...if he makes all his option bonuses, unsure what they actually are, he'll make 15m next year.

trapezeus
12-18-2012, 07:23 AM
losing levitre will be yet another sign that the team simply doesn't care.

he's never been injured. rarely gets a penalty and is so versatile when other people go down. LT was a stretch for him, but he was able to carry the load everywhere else.

we'll go back to jauronian/jets like offenses without him and a capable center.

Mahdi
12-18-2012, 07:29 AM

He should demand almost 7m per year.

It can be argued that Urbik is just as good as Levitre. Urbik is just as important to the OL and with his versatility to play C he was a must sign.

DraftBoy
12-18-2012, 07:32 AM
It can be argued that Urbik is just as good as Levitre. Urbik is just as important to the OL and with his versatility to play C he was a must sign.

No it can't. Urbik is versatile but he could be replaced with a better starter. While I agree his value lies in the ability to play the entire IOL, he's not close to as good as Levitre is.

trapezeus
12-18-2012, 07:42 AM

my comment was simply meant that the bills have a decent oline and the first 9-10 of these 13 years have been marred with crappy line play. we finally got a decent line. they better pay to keep their good fortune.

imagine how much more losmanian fitz could have looked if he had no time and how we'd all be stunned that cj was explosive when he signed with another team after being a first round bust here. the line has improved. keep them in tact.

Mahdi
12-18-2012, 07:43 AM
No it can't. Urbik is versatile but he could be replaced with a better starter. While I agree his value lies in the ability to play the entire IOL, he's not close to as good as Levitre is.

I think you are short changing Urbik. He goes up against some big time DTs and Fitz still rarely gets pressure up the middle. Urbik might also be a better in-line blocker than Levitre.

Levitre is amazing though on the move and with his angles which makes him especially good in our screen game. Yes Levitre is better but IMO Urbik is one of the top G in the AFC.

DraftBoy
12-18-2012, 07:50 AM
I think you are short changing Urbik. He goes up against some big time DTs and Fitz still rarely gets pressure up the middle. Urbik might also be a better in-line blocker than Levitre.

Levitre is amazing though on the move and with his angles which makes him especially good in our screen game. Yes Levitre is better but IMO Urbik is one of the top G in the AFC.

Urbik also does a lot of combo blocking with Wood, while Levitre blocks on an island.

Urbik is middle tier OG, great backup material. Glad we re-signed him, but let's get better.

Mahdi
12-18-2012, 08:00 AM
Urbik also does a lot of combo blocking with Wood, while Levitre blocks on an island.

Urbik is middle tier OG, great backup material. Glad we re-signed him, but let's get better.

Middle tier or backup? ok.

DraftBoy
12-18-2012, 08:38 AM
Middle tier or backup? ok.

Yes middle tier, therefor I can find a better starter and he'd be a great backup. There is no benefit in settling for a guy who know you can imporve on. Get a mauler in there, allow Wood to work more on the 2nd level and help work on some of these 34 defenses that rely on LB's staying free.

A guy like Cooper in Round 2 would be a big upgrade, plus he move far better than Urbik.

justasportsfan
12-18-2012, 08:42 AM

Urbik is above average at his position but Levitre is probowl material.

better days
12-18-2012, 08:44 AM

Want to bet?

Mahdi
12-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Yes middle tier, therefor I can find a better starter and he'd be a great backup. There is no benefit in settling for a guy who know you can imporve on. Get a mauler in there, allow Wood to work more on the 2nd level and help work on some of these 34 defenses that rely on LB's staying free.

A guy like Cooper in Round 2 would be a big upgrade, plus he move far better than Urbik.

Well agree to disagree then because I think Urbik is among the better RG in the league. He is a mauler and we just played a pretty tough run defense without Wood and a rookie on his right side and ran for better than 6 yards per carry so obviously he is doing pretty well. And that was at C too. In fact, Urbik has always done well without Wood.

Mahdi
12-18-2012, 09:42 AM
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/02/21/2011-pass-blocking-efficiency-guards-and-centers/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/10/17/re-focused-bills-giants-week-6/

Just a little info on Urbik.

Ed
12-18-2012, 10:26 AM
Whether Urbik is a top G or just average, it wouldn't hurt to add another young talent to compete with and push him. I don't think there's a single team in the league that can get through a season without injuries to the OL. I think guys like Urbik, Pears, and Hairston can all be decent starters for us, but that shouldn't stop the Bills from trying to get better at those positions.

DraftBoy
12-18-2012, 10:52 AM
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/02/21/2011-pass-blocking-efficiency-guards-and-centers/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/10/17/re-focused-bills-giants-week-6/

Just a little info on Urbik.

Where did he rank in 2011 as a run blocker, how about the 2012 numbers? You're posting partial points in an effort to ask us to assume that its the same for everything. Not to mention PFF serves a purpose but its not the end all be all measure of whose good or bad. I don't use them because they don't use the All-22 film, but I understand why they dont use it.

Mahdi
12-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Where did he rank in 2011 as a run blocker, how about the 2012 numbers? You're posting partial points in an effort to ask us to assume that its the same for everything. Not to mention PFF serves a purpose but its not the end all be all measure of whose good or bad. I don't use them because they don't use the All-22 film, but I understand why they dont use it.

If I could find other data or info I would have posted it. And the proof of the run blocking is in the fact that there is no dropoff in our run game when Wood is out which has been a lot. Urbik has already proven that he is a good player you don't even need the articles to back it up.

DraftBoy
12-18-2012, 11:19 AM
If I could find other data or info I would have posted it. And the proof of the run blocking is in the fact that there is no dropoff in our run game when Wood is out which has been a lot. Urbik has already proven that he is a good player you don't even need the articles to back it up.

Nobody has argued he sucks.

superbills
12-18-2012, 11:23 AM
I agree with one of the previous posts...the o-line isn't perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than it has been in a long time and we need to keep that continuity in tact. We have bigger needs at center (a decent backup for Cantain Bad Luck Eric Wood is a must) and left tackle (I still think we could use an upgrade there). Glenn still needs work, but he should get every opportunity to continue to improve at LT. Not having to worry about the Guard positions and focusing on the tackles and shoring up center is where the FO needs to set their sites. Get Levitre under contract or the off-season gets a lot more complicated.

BertSquirtgum
12-18-2012, 12:22 PM

There's plenty of money to sign Levitre.

BertSquirtgum
12-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Just in case anyone has forgot this is the first year of the cash to cap. The Bills are going to be forced to spend their money to the cap. So signing Levitre shouldn't be a problem.

X-Era
12-18-2012, 04:47 PM
I think the Urbik move was done early in case Levitre leaves. You'd hate to be negotiating with Levitre and have Urbik poached and end up with nothing.

Mr. Pink
12-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Want to bet?

I'd be extremely surprised if both Byrd and Levitre are on the roster next season due to economic reasons.

Both of them will command 7m + a season with a healthy amount of guaranteed money.

That combined with some of the other contracts on this team on players who won't be going anywhere makes it rough to see us retaining both of them and still being able to sign a couple free agents and signing draft picks.

The Jokeman
12-18-2012, 07:58 PM
Why is Brad Smith on the team still?

Cuz he fills three roster holes, depth QB depth WR and depth KR. Not worth the money we're paying him but he's still a decent depth guy to have.

The Jokeman
12-18-2012, 08:01 PM
I'd be extremely surprised if both Byrd and Levitre are on the roster next season due to economic reasons.

Both of them will command 7m + a season with a healthy amount of guaranteed money.

That combined with some of the other contracts on this team on players who won't be going anywhere makes it rough to see us retaining both of them and still being able to sign a couple free agents and signing draft picks.

So should we franchise Byrd, kick Glenn to LG in 2013, draft Taylor Lewan to man LT and trade up to take Tyler Wilson at the end of Round 1?

Mr. Pink
12-18-2012, 08:03 PM
So should we franchise Byrd, kick Glenn to LG in 2013, draft Taylor Lewan to man LT and trade up to take Tyler Wilson at the end of Round 1?

That might not be a bad plan.

I agree on your above post on Smith, he fills 3 roles that you'd end up spending around the same money for 3 separate guys.

better days
12-18-2012, 10:18 PM

I would rather see the Bills resign Levitre & Byrd than sign FA's from other teams & I think that is the way Nix thinks as well. Take care of your own first, then if there is any money left over go after other FA's. There is money to be saved by cutting dead wood.

BertSquirtgum
12-19-2012, 12:21 AM

I'd be extremely surprised if they aren't both on the team next year.

Mr. Pink
12-19-2012, 06:24 AM
I would rather see the Bills resign Levitre & Byrd than sign FA's from other teams & I think that is the way Nix thinks as well. Take care of your own first, then if there is any money left over go after other FA's. There is money to be saved by cutting dead wood.

This team on a whole is not good enough to stay status quo. We need to spend money to upgrade positions. And whatever dead wood you cut, isn't completely saving money, as you have to go out and sign guys to replace them. The easiest/smartest cut on the roster is Kelsay as you can save 4.1m cutting him and likely go out and spend 1m to replace him.

DraftBoy
12-19-2012, 07:06 AM
This team on a whole is not good enough to stay status quo. We need to spend money to upgrade positions. And whatever dead wood you cut, isn't completely saving money, as you have to go out and sign guys to replace them. The easiest/smartest cut on the roster is Kelsay as you can save 4.1m cutting him and likely go out and spend 1m to replace him.

Cut Kelsay and replace him with Moore, money saved and position upgraded.