PDA

View Full Version : 5 moves that won't pan out.

MDFINFAN
07-09-2003, 03:57 PM
In some of your posts, you've talked about the Pats: here's an article that talks about their inability to cover the deep ball, which should make Moulds, Chambers, Conway, McKnight, Moss, and Reeds very happy when playing the pats:

Rodney Harrison to New England — For the Patriots to secure Harrison and LB Rosevelt Colvin this offseason was a major coup of sorts, based on recent history. The Patriots aren't known for going after the big names, so imagine the excitement this creates in New England. That excitement is warranted where Colvin is concerned, but not Harrison. Harrison is a fine, fine pickup, but it leaves a potentially gaping hole in the deep part of the field on defense. Now the Patriots have two similar safeties in Harrison and Lawyer Milloy — two safeties known for supporting the run and hitting hard, not covering receivers. If the Patriots' corners don't step up along with Ty Law, you could see big play after big play eat up a defense that is expected to be quite strong.

This article supports my telling you guys you're a passing team until proven otherwise: People just see you that way:

Peerless Price to Atlanta — Here's a team many folks believe is on the cusp. And I agree with them. In fact, Atlanta has been my summer-long pick to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. But Price won't be the key reason, as everyone seems to think. In fact, I'm looking for his production, in terms of statistics, to drop off. It's inevitable. The Falcons are not the pass-happy team that Buffalo was (and hopes to be again this year). Their offense is propelled by Mike Vick and the running game, and it will continue to be that way. The defense and a ground-based offense will get the Falcons to the Super Bowl. Price will help Vick mature as a passer, but I wouldn't expect more than 85 catches and 1,100 yards for the Bills' former No. 2 wideout.

Full article:

Five moves that won't pan out as well as everyone seems to think (http://profootballweekly.com/PFW/Commentary/Columns/2003/hanacek070903.htm)

Jan Reimers
07-09-2003, 04:57 PM
The idiotic statement, "and hopes to be again this year" shows a complete lack of understanding of our offseason moves.

DraftBoy
07-09-2003, 05:39 PM
That article is such crap, ATL has not concentrated on the running game, since Jamal Anderson went down with his kneww injury thats very obvious when they signed Warrick Dunn last year, he is a great receiver out of the backfield

Mr. Miyagi
07-09-2003, 07:46 PM
Do you believe everything you see on the internet MDFINFAN? :rolleyes:

justasportsfan
07-09-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
Do you believe everything you see on the internet MDFINFAN? :rolleyes:
Only if it's something negative about the bills. :D

Peerles' nos. went up because of Drew at qb and the fact that he has played with Moulds on the other side.

Reed will have the same thing Price had. Drew and Moulds.

Although Peerles is faster, Reed has better hands and has better yards after catch.

One thing going for Reed is that the OL should be better after a year under their belt. Drew has been more acurate at deep throws when given time.

The only reason I see the bills having lessser nos. as far as reception goes is because we are supposedly going to run more.

WG
07-09-2003, 09:28 PM
Well, I gotta kind of support MD here. Not entirely, but in the sense that the primary reason why we passed so much last year was not;

A. B/c the run wasn't working. In several games it clearly was and Gilbride still refused to run over passing, even when passing wasn't working!

B. We had no choice, or were behind, or other nonsense like that!

The primary reason why we passed so much was b/c of Gilbride's inane and totally incognizant play-calling and strategizing. The fact that he got the QB Coach job in addition has me worried. He's gonna want Drew to look good, and last year "looking good" for Drew certainly didn't mean TDs and scoring production. It meant lots of attempts resulting in lots of completions resulting in lots of yards. Unfortunately TDs and points didn't follow for the second 2/3 of the season once Belichick led the way in defining Drew's weaknesses, namely any sort of pressure at all.

JR for all his value as a pass receiving TE wasn't used much. He averaged only 2 catches a game. Neither did Centers for all the hype of us losing him. He had only 43 grabs for 388 yards and 0 TDs, the worst of his career in all three categories since the first season he played 12 seasons ago.

So it's not like those guys going away represented a lot of our passing attack. In fact, of Drew's 375 completions, Moulds and Price accounted for over 50% of them. So that's where Drew threw to. The WRs including Reed.

So when folks say we have no choice but to run w/ Price, JR, and Centers gone, I have to laugh. Of the three, only Price was more than nominally pivotal in receiving/the passing game! Moore can catch 32 balls w/ his eyes closed. Henry had the same exact # of catches than Centers did and he's likely to see 50% more picking up half of Centers' slack if what the FO is telling us is true.

No, the primary reason why we threw the ball so much was Gilbride. That's exactly why I'm worried. He almost totally stubbornly passed us to a loss in the S.D. game. He did pass us to a loss in the K.C. game. His insistance on passing made no sense in handful of other games as well!

So we'll see, but given that he's now the QB coach too, I wouldn't wager my 401K that we're really gonna pass much less. IMO much less and run more would mean going from 610 attempts to no more than 525 or so. Even that is too high IMO, but I'd consider that truly changing our team into a rushing team first.

So as with everything else, we'll see...

TigerJ
07-09-2003, 09:33 PM
I agree that the guy writing the article missunderstands what the Bills are preparing to do on offence this year, but the article really isn't about the Bills at all. I'm not going to get bent out of shape by one dumb line. Of the five moves he pans, I think he may be right with most of them. The exception might be Plummer to Denver. I think he could do something for Denver this year. Drew Bledsoe got a fast start in Buffalo last year, and even though he tailed off late in the year, and the offence had some problems, I think overall he had a successful debut. I don't see why Plummer can't do the same.

I do think Price is in for a rude awakening in Atlanta. It's not that he won't help Vick at all, but Vick is a very different QB than Bledsoe, and I think the Atlanta offence will make an entirely different set of demands on Price than Buffalo's O last year which absolutely seemed to be just what the doctor ordered for price to be successful.

Brian Griese is just another QB in my mind. Miami fans expecting to see the reincarnation of his dad will be very disappointed. I think Fiedler will continue to start, and Griese will end up waiting for him to go down.

I agree with the writer's take on Harrison. He'll help run support and hurt pass coverage. Emmitt Smith was a great player in his day, but now he's just ordinary. Arizona will be looking for a RB next year. So will Dallas. Maybe we could get them to bid against each other for Travis Henry after the season. Who's going to have the higher first round pick?

WG
07-09-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Winfield_26
That article is such crap, ATL has not concentrated on the running game, since Jamal Anderson went down with his kneww injury thats very obvious when they signed Warrick Dunn last year, he is a great receiver out of the backfield

Well, they certainly aren't a passing team either. Last year they were 25th in attempts. Don't expect that to change much even w/ Price on the team. It'll go up, but not by much. They might move up a few notches to the 20th "passing attempts" team.

Vick defines that team. Price is a deep threat and being doubled all season long he won't be getting open nearly as much as he did while he was here. Teams like Tampa and Philly are gonna shut Price down completely.

I fully agree w/ all five of this guys overrated moves. Plummer in particular. Plummer blows and the Broncos are gonna figure that out in spades and their fans are gonna be ticked! Emmitt is finished. He'll be lucky to get 1,000 this year. Harrison is a hard-hitting S, not a cover S. His analysis on Griese is also accurate IMO. Price will have what he says, not more. He'll load up against the scrubs and crap out against the decent teams.

MDFINFAN
07-09-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan

Only if it's something negative about the bills. :D

Peerles' nos. went up because of Drew at qb and the fact that he has played with Moulds on the other side.

Reed will have the same thing Price had. Drew and Moulds.

Although Peerles is faster, Reed has better hands and has better yards after catch.

One thing going for Reed is that the OL should be better after a year under their belt. Drew has been more acurate at deep throws when given time.

The only reason I see the bills having lessser nos. as far as reception goes is because we are supposedly going to run more.

Justa, that is totally untrue, you should be shot, please show up for the tailgate party.:priest: ..I don't only post negative things about the bills, I was pointing out what I've been saying about the Bills, that everyone sees you as a passing team. If you go read some of my posts, I've made that case numberous times. I know the changes you've made. I stated I don't know what kind of O you have right now. It could indeed be balanced. But that won't be the case to everyone, until you show that, you're only as good as your last season is the mentality of most sports writers and Fans..Last year you lived and died by the Pass..TH numbers weren't the featured thing in Buffalo, it was Drew to Moulds or Price. Your conversation in this post talks about passing..Reeds numbers will be up...well that's saying you're throwing a lot. Do you understand the changes you've made to your O? My understanding was that you guys were going to feature TH more..Kinda balance out your passing attack, which was more predominate last year...You're talking pass just like every sports writer and others. This is why I say you're a passing team until you prove otherwise..This is also why I say TH benefitted from your passing game..He wasn't planned for as much as your Passing game...If you're a running team this year, teams will prepare for you that way, now we'll be able to see if TH is the real deal or a byproduct of the pass.:priest:

Tatonka
07-10-2003, 08:04 AM
i sent the guy an email... lol.. hopes to be a pass first team again this year.. /scoff

on Atlanta.. i think they HAVE done alot to improve their running game.. and they are a run first team..

starting with Vick.. down to Duckett.. who is a big, fast bruiser... then Dunn as the scatback/receiver type.. they are trying to balance that out on offense with the additions of jenkins and price. i think it will work out well for them.. although price wont have great fantasy numbers.. they should do well.

Novacane
07-10-2003, 09:13 AM
It shows the guy is not very informed to make a comment like "the pass-happy team that Buffalo was (and hopes to be again this year). " but I think he is right that none of those 5 guys are going to have the impact a lot of people are hyping them up for.

MDFINFAN
07-11-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
It shows the guy is not very informed to make a comment like "the pass-happy team that Buffalo was (and hopes to be again this year). " but I think he is right that none of those 5 guys are going to have the impact a lot of people are hyping them up for.

But look at what some of your own posters are posting, Reeds numbers will be up as though that's the cruix of your O. passing, you have to prove to everyone you're a running team. So even though what he says doesn't match what you've brought in, the mentality is passing team..Period.

SABURZFAN
07-12-2003, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by MDFINFAN

But look at what some of your own posters are posting, Reeds numbers will be up as though that's the cruix of your O. passing, you have to prove to everyone you're a running team. So even though what he says doesn't match what you've brought in, the mentality is passing team..Period.

:blah:

Historian
07-12-2003, 07:53 AM
....is Brian Griese trying to play in his father's glasses!

Novacane
07-12-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by MDFINFAN

the guys is uninformed........peroid.

Demon
07-12-2003, 03:16 PM
One move that Won't pan out i think will be Junior Seau in Miami. I think hes much slower now and not as good tackling and will cost Miami several big plays, kinda like Eddie Robinson did for us last season, although Seau won't be as bad.

I think Miami will expect a solid LB, while they will get a slow, over the hill LB who will have trouples running from sideline to sideline to make plays.

MDFINFAN
07-12-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Demon
One move that Won't pan out i think will be Junior Seau in Miami. I think hes much slower now and not as good tackling and will cost Miami several big plays, kinda like Eddie Robinson did for us last season, although Seau won't be as bad.

I think Miami will expect a solid LB, while they will get a slow, over the hill LB who will have trouples running from sideline to sideline to make plays.

Interesting, considering he had about the same stats as Spikes last year, playing on one good leg and a bad ankle..plus he still made the pro bowl, not bad for a slow, non tackling LB who's over the hill..Who's also working harder to be the best he can be this year, not sure, but I'm not hearing about Adams working out like that, he should be in the gym everyday..Seau is in excellent shape and the ankle injury is healed..Looking pretty fast in Mini camp for an old man. His attitude and work habits are just :fab:

Nighthawk
07-13-2003, 12:06 AM
Ahhh, another confused Phins fan! Seau is all washed up and it's going to be pretty hard for him to make tackles while holding on to his walker. Come on now, all they did was make there defense slower...I can't wait to see the Bills pound them this year.

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-13-2003, 06:03 AM
I guess we are all entitled to our opinion. After further review IMO:

1. Brian Griese to Miami - disagree - I think Griese is an upgrade to Fiedler.

2. Rodney Harrison - disagree - I think the Patriots (like the Bills) tried to prepare their defense against the run with their schedule.

3. Jake Plummer - disagree - I don't believe Plummer is worth that kind of money, but I think Plummer can be effective in Denver with a solid offense. He reminds me of what Brady is to the Patriots offense.

4. Peerless Price - agree (somewhat) - Although the numbers this guy puts down for Price this year are pretty good numbers I don't see Price having a big impact with the Falcons. I don't see Price's speed being enough to make him a #1 guy. The defenses the Falcons will play will make it tougher to have a big impact year for Price.

5. Emmit Smith - agree - Who thinks Emmit will have a great year with the Cardinals though?

MDFINFAN
07-13-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Nighthawk
Ahhh, another confused Phins fan! Seau is all washed up and it's going to be pretty hard for him to make tackles while holding on to his walker. Come on now, all they did was make there defense slower...I can't wait to see the Bills pound them this year.

The game is played on the field and preparation is 70 % of the game, Talent and health is the rest, He's taken care of the 70, he obviously has talent, hopefully his heath remains good. He avg days are better than 40% of the starting LB's good days.