PDA

View Full Version : Examples of a elderly / confused coaching staff

Skooby
12-19-2012, 07:05 PM
We kick try FG with 9 seconds left in a half after taking a timeout on the opponents 24.

QB sneak called on first down.

Centering the ball on 2nd down with a minute to go in the half in FG range.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-19-2012, 10:48 PM
Punting inside the opponent's 40 in a dome, in overtime.

jamze132
12-20-2012, 05:59 AM
Not giving the ball to one of the most dynamic RBs in the NFL more than 8 times per game.

trapezeus
12-20-2012, 07:34 AM
having a GM that likes to sleep in the hours leading up to free agency.

Albany,n.y.
12-20-2012, 07:47 AM
We kick try FG with 9 seconds left in a half after taking a timeout on the opponents 24.

QB sneak called on first down.

Centering the ball on 2nd down with a minute to go in the half in FG range.

Age has nothing to do with it. Since this century began, it seems that being on the Bills sideline causes brain damage to the head coach. The worst decision by a coach or a member of his staff occurred when Gregg Williams was head coach: The time that Houston was up 12-10 with time running out in the 4th quarter. Houston had a penalty. If the Bills accept the penalty, then Houston gets to replay the down & will have enough downs to run out the clock. If the Bills decline the penalty & they stop Houston, they can get the ball back & try to get into field goal range to win the game. The Bills accepted the penalty in spite of London Fletcher's repeated attempts to decline the penalty on the field. Game over, Houston wins 12-10.
I was at the game and I immediately said to my friend next to me that if I owned the Bills, Gregg Williams would have been fired before he reached the locker room. Even Chan Gailey would never get that confused during a game.

Albany,n.y.
12-20-2012, 07:52 AM
having a GM that likes to sleep in the hours leading up to free agency.
He also likes to sleep whenever there is a viable QB available on the days of the draft. He drafts a CB, then goes back to sleep as Dalton & Kaepernick are taken with the next 2 picks. Then he follows it up the next year by trading up for a WR, goes back to sleep and by the time he wakes up, Wilson, Foles & Cousins are all gone. Now he vows to be awake when QBs are available in the 2013 draft. The best cure for his narcolepsy is if he's allowed to sleep through the whole draft and our new GM Doug Whaley is making the selections.

stuckincincy
12-20-2012, 08:48 AM
He also likes to sleep whenever there is a viable QB available on the days of the draft. He drafts a CB, then goes back to sleep as Dalton & Kaepernick are taken with the next 2 picks. Then he follows it up the next year by trading up for a WR, goes back to sleep and by the time he wakes up, Wilson, Foles & Cousins are all gone. Now he vows to be awake when QBs are available in the 2013 draft. The best cure for his narcolepsy is if he's allowed to sleep through the whole draft and our new GM Doug Whaley is making the selections.

It would be nice if Gailey/Nix would stop announcing who and/or what position they plan to draft. Or perk up their ears when another team does. Like CIN in 2011 targeting Dalton. I can imagine a BUF staff conversation: "Gee, Palmer's on the downside, and they have the hots for that kid. Whatca think? Nah, let's take that cornerback."

Historian
12-20-2012, 12:18 PM
Signing a QB and never activating him...

Mouldsie
12-20-2012, 01:12 PM
It would be nice if Gailey/Nix would stop announcing who and/or what position they plan to draft. Or perk up their ears when another team does. Like CIN in 2011 targeting Dalton. I can imagine a BUF staff conversation: "Gee, Palmer's on the downside, and they have the hots for that kid. Whatca think? Nah, let's take that cornerback."
I dont like Dalton as a franchise QB long term so I cant be critical

ServoBillieves
12-20-2012, 01:27 PM
I dont like Dalton as a franchise QB long term so I cant be critical

Which front office are you a part of?

stuckincincy
12-20-2012, 02:47 PM
I dont like Dalton as a franchise QB long term.

Nor do I, so far. Nothing wrong with his arm or release. Lately, he's developed happy feet and scoots out of the pocket - which can be ok - but lately he can't pick up secondary receivers in a timely fashion. He has a recent run of tosses out of bounds, which is ok, but I see more and more of him leaving money on the table. Open receivers here and there. They beat PHI thanks to PHI's 4 turnover implosion within 10 minutes.

He certainly suffers from OC Jay Gruden's *****zo play calling. IMO, Gruden's a dope. I'd be surprised if he called 5 screen passes all season, all telegraphed when Brian Leonard checks in. Up by 9 against a wounded DAL team, with the clock as the enemy, he calls 8 runs in the 2nd half. Dalton certainly gets hurt by Smilin' Jack's' abysmal clock management - IIRC, Smilin' leads all coaches in failed challenges, also - but Redhead shared in a Marvin loss by not calling the troops up and spiking the ball in one game for an easy, short FG. Which is dumb - spike the ball regardless of where those lard-ass team mates are, suffer 5 yards, and kick from 25 yards. Duh.

Come the 4th against DAL, Marv had already ran the team out of time outs, so they ran out of time to try a come back. 2nd time he did that this season. Silly things - using a time out for a delay of game, wrong personnel set. Not one of them in a critical down. Cripes - a time out is worth more than a lousy five yards...

Albany,n.y.
12-20-2012, 03:27 PM

My worst nightmare would have been if SF though Cin was hot for a QB & was afraid of losing Kaepernick & traded up with us (instead of Denver 2 picks later) to take Kaepernick. It was bad enough we drafted A. Williams and Dalton & Kaepernick were taken with the next 2 picks, but it would have been worse to have been the team that, in effect, traded Kaepernick to SF.

stuckincincy
12-20-2012, 03:53 PM
I've never understood why clubs don't invite several UDFA qbs for a look-see. To me, it's all "upside." You might strike paydirt.

I'd fly 'em in, round trip ticket and rental car. I guess that's already done. Put 'em up. Give 'em good meals. Show 'em the town. Peanut costs to an NFL team. NFL depends, operates on the college crop.

These kids worked hard in the college game. Lots and lots of them have getting into the NFL as their dream. I'd hand them all some decent cash money when cut sans contract. Comp them ten tix or so with parking and eats at an NFL game or a college game depending on their locality, so they can treat their family and say to Mom, Dad, Uncle, Brother, Sis etc., 'I had a shot'.

Let it be known that my organization recognizes effort and gives a fair shake.