• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLeonard
    BoB Sabermetrician
    • Jan 2003

Poloncarz encouraged by talks about keeping Bills in Buffalo

ALBANY – Erie County Executive Mark C. Poloncarz was sounding confident Wednesday after what he described as “significant talks” Tuesday night by representatives of the county, state and Buffalo Bills about keeping the team from leaving town.

Poloncarz said earlier discussions about a short-term, one-year deal to give the sides more time to resolve issues are now off the table, and all sides are focused on a multiyear effort that would include public financing – including capital and some operating costs – for the team in return for a commitment to stay.

“It’s a complicated deal. I like the position we’re in, but we’re not there yet,” Poloncarz said Wednesday in an interview with The Buffalo News at the State Capitol.
    He said the talks are complicated, and if there is a final deal, it will entail multiple documents that will be well in excess of six inches high.

“It all comes down to we want to ensure this team’s here for a significant time period, so if we’re going to invest public dollars to renovate Ralph Wilson Stadium and assist the Bills with operating assistance as we have in the past, then we also want to ensure they’re there for some period,” he said.

Poloncarz described Tuesday night’s negotiating session as “significant” and “very good.”

Some observers have theorized the Bills may want a short-term deal because of health problems confronting Ralph Wilson, the team’s aging owner, and ownership issues that may arise upon his death.

But Poloncarz said he believes all sides – the county, state and team – are committed to a longer-term deal instead of a temporary, one-year type of arrangement. “There was a discussion at one point,” he said of a shorter-term arrangement, “but I think everyone realizes why do a short-term lease if we can get a long-term lease done now.”

Four times during the interview, Poloncarz repeated the phrase: “I like the position we’re in.”
    So, there is no one year deal for next year... Based on the comments, the state has gained more of an advantage in negotiations, due to the Bills' poor performance and record this season. That's the only thing I can think of when he's saying “I like the position we’re in.”

-Bill
    Last edited by BLeonard; 12-20-2012, 12:40 PM.
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

Re: Poloncarz encouraged by talks about keeping Bills in Buffalo

"I like the position we are in"

Interpretation: Toronto laughed at the bills after allowing 50 points. The Bills want to steal the $78MM from the state of new york and leave the good people of canada out of this heist this time. No one else wants the bills because they know the ghost of ralph wilson will hold this team where-ever it goes. SOoooo, we are kind of the only option for Ralph and his buddy smithers....er. Brandon.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Question: Why does the state believe that the next owner of the team will be so willing to honor Ralph Wilson's commitment to stay?

It sounds like that if this gets done, the team will definitely stay for the remainder of Ralph's life (which really wasn't in doubt anyway, because if Ralph was going to move, he would have done it years ago). But once Ralph is gone and the new ownership comes in, they will be under no obligation to abide by a commitment they did not make.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ServoBillieves
        The Voice of Reason
        • Jul 2007

Russ Brandon read this and licked his lips and enjoyed himself.
        Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
          Question: Why does the state believe that the next owner of the team will be so willing to honor Ralph Wilson's commitment to stay?

It sounds like that if this gets done, the team will definitely stay for the remainder of Ralph's life (which really wasn't in doubt anyway, because if Ralph was going to move, he would have done it years ago). But once Ralph is gone and the new ownership comes in, they will be under no obligation to abide by a commitment they did not make.
          I disagree. I think the language in the new contract will ensure the Bills stay in Buffalo for at least the length of the contract.

Comment

• BLeonard
            BoB Sabermetrician
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
            "I like the position we are in"

Interpretation: Toronto laughed at the bills after allowing 50 points. The Bills want to steal the $78MM from the state of new york and leave the good people of canada out of this heist this time. No one else wants the bills because they know the ghost of ralph wilson will hold this team where-ever it goes. SOoooo, we are kind of the only option for Ralph and his buddy smithers....er. Brandon.
            Yeah, kinda how I read it too... Especially after Eric Wood's comments on the Bills Toronto Series. Brandon calling it "regionalization" was simply because he couldn't come out and say "money grab."

In theory, the Bills Toronto Series wasn't a bad idea. The main problem was, many fans felt that they got a much better, cheaper experience by simply going to RWS for the games. Add onto that the fact that the team has been piss poor for over a decade with no real signs of improvement... That's gonna severely cut into the number of people that are willing to pay for your product, regardless of where you hold it at.

Why should Erie County give them $200 million plus dollars to renovate the stadium in Orchard Park, if the Bills are just gonna turn around and leave that stadium vacant, to peddle a game per year off to Toronto?

I like the position that they are in, too.

-Bill

Comment

• BLeonard
              BoB Sabermetrician
              • Jan 2003

Pretty sure that, if Erie County and NYS are gonna fork over $200 million plus for stadium renovation, they're gonna get a return on their investment.

I'm also fairly sure that the lease would be in effect, regardless of who the owner is. The Jaguars got a new owner last year, it didn't change their lease situation.

-Bill
              Last edited by BLeonard; 12-20-2012, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by better days View Post
                I disagree. I think the language in the new contract will ensure the Bills stay in Buffalo for at least the length of the contract.
                Well Jacksonville's contract has that language too, but they keep coming up as a potential move candidate, on this site and elsewhere.

And, why would Ralph do that? Locking the team to Buffalo may hurt the resale value after he passes, which means less money for his family.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BLeonard View Post
                  Pretty sure that, if Erie County and NYS are gonna fork over $200 million plus for stadium renovation, they're gonna get a return on their investment.

I'm also fairly sure that the lease would be in effect, regardless of who the owner is. The Jaguars got a new owner last year, it didn't change their lease situation.

-Bill
                  And that's why I keep telling people that the Bills are more likely to move than Jax, even though the Bills have a much better fan base. But no one wants to hear it.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

And that's why I keep telling people that the Bills are more likely to move than Jax, even though the Bills have a much better fan base. But no one wants to hear it.
                    Jax should have never been awarded an expansion Franchise in the first place, but why did LA not get that Franchise? I just read on Profootball talk that Oakland can't afford to build a Stadium for the Raiders with public money. S.D. also can't get a new stadium built. If any team moves to LA it will be one of those two.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Jax should have never been awarded an expansion Franchise in the first place, but why did LA not get that Franchise? I just read on Profootball talk that Oakland can't afford to build a Stadium for the Raiders with public money. S.D. also can't get a new stadium built. If any team moves to LA it will be one of those two.
                      There are rumors that SF and Oakland will build a shared stadium.

The Chargers make the most sense, but if doing things that make the most sense always happened, Jax wouldn't have a team in the first place.

As far as why LA didn't get the Jaguars, well, they were awarded the team in 1993. At the time, both the Raiders and Rams were still in LA. So, there's your answer.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

There are rumors that SF and Oakland will build a shared stadium.

The Chargers make the most sense, but if doing things that make the most sense always happened, Jax wouldn't have a team in the first place.

As far as why LA didn't get the Jaguars, well, they were awarded the team in 1993. At the time, both the Raiders and Rams were still in LA. So, there's your answer.
                        A Stadium is in the works for the 49ers. If the Raiders share that Stadium with them they will be as the Jets were in Giants Stadium, 2nd class citizens.

I am not sure of the dates, but I believe both the Rams & Raiders made it known they were leaving LA at about the time Jax was awarded their franchise.

Comment

• BLeonard
                          BoB Sabermetrician
                          • Jan 2003

A Stadium is in the works for the 49ers. If the Raiders share that Stadium with them they will be as the Jets were in Giants Stadium, 2nd class citizens.

I am not sure of the dates, but I believe both the Rams & Raiders made it known they were leaving LA at about the time Jax was awarded their franchise.
                          No, OP's right on that one... Jacksonville was awarded the franchise in late 1993... The Raiders and Rams didn't leave until after the 1994 season. In both cases, neither really gave much "notice."

This article here, written on 11/21/94 talked about the possibility of the Rams and Raiders leaving: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...5967/index.htm

The Rams had been rumored to be leaving since 1990... But, nothing came of it until after the 1994 season. Again, after Jacksonville had been awarded their franchise.

-Bill

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

They aren't 2nd class citizens already? Please. I think most teams would rather be 2nd class in a brand new stadium than the only team in an outdated POS.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• BLeonard
                              BoB Sabermetrician
                              • Jan 2003

I could see both sides of it, really. Yeah, Jacksonville has a pretty good lease situation, making it difficult for the Jaguars to move. But, I certainly don't see it as impossible. After all, the Jags are scheduling regular season home games in London for the next few years, so it's not like the lease anchors them their for 8 games a season. I don't know the ins and outs of Jacksonville's lease, but my guess is, if the owner really wanted to get out of it, there's a way to do so. It might cost him a pretty penny, but it could be done.

As for the Bills, all's I'm saying is that, if the county and state are going to fork over $200 million plus for renovations, I'm pretty sure that they are going to expect a return on their investment, whether Ralph Wilson is the owner or not. I'm sure they know,as well as all of us do, that any long-term lease done will almost assuredly be longer than the rest of Wilson's lifespan. As a result, I'd expect that the county and state are looking to get an agreement that keeps the Bills in Orchard Park long enough to get a return on their investment, regardless of who the owner is.

I do agree that a "better fanbase" will have little or nothing to do in determining whether or not a team leaves. As I've said before, ask Cleveland Brown or Seattle Supersonic fans how much "fan support" plays into determining whether a team leaves or not. Fan support means very little in determining whether or not a team is moved.

-Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X