PDA

View Full Version : What impact player will we lose out on when we beat the Jets?

Albany,n.y.
12-23-2012, 10:46 PM
With the Jets starting McElroy, who looks like a bigger sack target than Rob Johnson, I can't see the Bills losing to the Jets next week. This means about 5-6 spots in the draft. I'm already envisioning a draft disaster like the ones that a meaningless win cost us Roethlisberger. That meaningless win came when we had a record of 5-7 and we beat the Jets 17-6 at Ralph Wilson Stadium. We ended up 6-10 but Pittsburgh had draft tie breakers & got Roethlisberger while we settled on JP Losman as the QB of the future.

I hope there's some way we lose this game that if you look up the word meaningless in the dictionary all it says is: December 30, 2012 N.Y. Jets @ Buffalo.

THRILLHO
12-23-2012, 11:31 PM
I hope we win just to make all you jerks that think drafting higher is always better miserable.

I hate people that want to lose. You are just losers.

jamze132
12-23-2012, 11:56 PM
Like Fitz is going to score points on the Jets D. LMAO

ServoBillieves
12-24-2012, 01:42 AM
Who's the best CB, LT, RB, or DT available? We'll draft them with whatever pick.

JoeMama
12-24-2012, 01:55 AM
Our front office finally promises to go after a franchise QB in the draft -- and go figure -- it just happens to be the worst year for QB prospects in over a decade.

Lucky us...

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q263/JoeMama025/billsfreakingrule1.jpg

SquishDaFish
12-24-2012, 04:32 AM
The draft is all about luck because its a crapshoot. You dont know who is going to translate to the NFL better. So a couple slots difference really wont matter espec with the front office

gebobs
12-24-2012, 05:00 AM
I currently have them at 6th. They win and they go down as far as 11th.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope we win just to make all you jerks that think drafting higher is always better miserable.

Yeah...such losers for not wanting to win a meaningless game at the end of another stinker season.

Get bent.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-24-2012, 05:24 AM
I don't care about the draft choice at this point.... Now it's about getting rid of gailey and Fitzpatrick

Albany,n.y.
12-24-2012, 07:04 AM

The jerks are the ones who think they are Bills players & not fans and can't tell the difference between being a fan who can look beyond Sunday's game & a player or coach whose job is to try to win.
Hey pal-You're not on the team-you can look beyond Sunday.
When we get the next Losman instead of the next Roethlisberger, you're damn right I'll be miserable & so will you.

YardRat
12-24-2012, 07:06 AM
Te'o.

TacklingDummy
12-24-2012, 07:27 AM
The draft is all about luck because its a crapshoot. You dont know who is going to translate to the NFL better. So a couple slots difference really wont matter espec with the front office

1 meaningless win, one slot away from, Von Miller, Patrick Willis, Michael Crabtree, Jerod Mayo, Big Ben, Jonathon Vilma, Vince Wolfolk, Vernon Davis.

But you are also right in a way, the Bills still could have still picked AJ Green, Patrick Peterson, Jason Pierre Paul, Orakpo, Cushings, Mack,,Clay Matthews, Ryan Clady, DRC, Revis,Ngata, etc...

TacklingDummy
12-24-2012, 07:30 AM
I currently have them at 6th. They win and they go down as far as 11th.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah...such losers for not wanting to win a meaningless game at the end of another stinker season.

Get bent.

That would be a very meaningful win,. Like you said it would drop us from a potential Top 5 pick if Oak,Phil,Det happen to win, to outside the top 10. I'd rather have a meaningful loss.

OpIv37
12-24-2012, 09:36 AM

This isn't true.

The draft is not an exact science. But there are some teams that consistently get it right and some that consistently get it wrong. Translation: there are people out there who understand it and, while they're not 100%, they do a LOT better at drafting than other people.

I do agree with your last point though: It really doesn't matter with this FO. Whether we pick 1st or 32nd, they'll find a way to screw it up. McGee is probably gonna retire and McKelvin may or may not be re-signed, so expect a CB early.... for the 28th year in a row....

The Jokeman
12-24-2012, 09:41 AM
This isn't true.

The draft is not an exact science. But there are some teams that consistently get it right and some that consistently get it wrong. Translation: there are people out there who understand it and, while they're not 100%, they do a LOT better at drafting than other people.

I do agree with your last point though: It really doesn't matter with this FO. Whether we pick 1st or 32nd, they'll find a way to screw it up. McGee is probably gonna retire and McKelvin may or may not be re-signed, so expect a CB early.... for the 28th year in a row....

I would agree with you if McGee/McKelvin were starting but since they aren't I will instead go with something I just posted in another thread watch and see we let Levitre walk as an UFA and then draft someone like Chance Warmack with our top pick. Though what this team has failed to do is find guys in later rounds that have stepped up.

OpIv37
12-24-2012, 09:47 AM
I would agree with you if McGee/McKelvin were starting but since they aren't I will instead go with something I just posted in another thread watch and see we let Levitre walk as an UFA and then draft someone like Chance Warmack with our top pick. Though what this team has failed to do is find guys in later rounds that have stepped up.

So, basically, it's likely that we are going to let one of our few good draft picks walk after his rookie contract so we have to draft his replacement, meaning we can't use that draft pick on QB, LB, #2 WR, TE or any of the immediate needs we have. May the self-perpetuating rebuilding cycle continue!

Novacane
12-24-2012, 09:50 AM

What a dumb ass post. OBD are losers and so are you. It's been proven 1 meaningless win has cost us a franchise QB. I say anyone rooting for a win is a loser.

The Jokeman
12-24-2012, 09:55 AM
So, basically, it's likely that we are going to let one of our few good draft picks walk after his rookie contract so we have to draft his replacement, meaning we can't use that draft pick on QB, LB, #2 WR, TE or any of the immediate needs we have. May the self-perpetuating rebuilding cycle continue!

Yep or as I put it in the thread, we're a perverbial dog chasing it's own tail. The issue is we'll do what I said above and then take a QB in Round 2 (see Tyler Bray or Glennon) which looks great on paper but sadly it never produces on the field. I'm starting to feel it's purposefull ineptness as it always ends up looking great but in the end always ends up failing on the field. I've made Marshawn Lynch as my new avatar because he is the poster boy of this thought/cycle.

THRILLHO
12-24-2012, 09:55 AM
1 meaningless win, one slot away from, Von Miller, Patrick Willis, Michael Crabtree, Jerod Mayo, Big Ben, Jonathon Vilma, Vince Wolfolk, Vernon Davis.

But you are also right in a way, the Bills still could have still picked AJ Green, Patrick Peterson, Jason Pierre Paul, Orakpo, Cushings, Mack,,Clay Matthews, Ryan Clady, DRC, Revis,Ngata, etc...
Thank you. It doesnt matter where you draft, you can still screw it up. Drafting higher does not guarantee you a better pick.

OPIV is correct, it is not a crapshoot if you are good at it. Clearly, Buffalo is not. We can pick 5th or 11th, and have the same chance to get a good or crappy player.

I watch games every week to see us win. Not to draft 10 minutes earlier in April. Why do you watch games?

MikeInRoch
12-24-2012, 10:13 AM
Rooting for your team to lose is crap.

pmoon6
12-24-2012, 10:54 AM
I hate the Jets and would love to beat them, but with Gailey's and Fitzy's days numbered, a win becomes even more meaningless. Things are going to drastically change anyway, so getting a win to build "that winning attitude" doesn't really make sense. And considering we need to draft the best QB we can (it's much easier to move up 4 spots than it is 10) a loss wouldn't be bad. This is the first time I've felt this way, I have always pulled for the Bills to win every game.

YardRat
12-24-2012, 12:07 PM
I generally side with the 'win what you can and worry about the draft spot later' and don't support losing games intentionally just to improve said draft position, but the fact of the matter is a lower draft position does mean that one or more teams will be picking ahead of you that otherwise might not, so at least one opportunity (and most likely more) to take that 'crap shoot' on a specific player will be lost. Although some may disagree with the attitude in the OP, the thread title still contains a legit question.

TigerJ
12-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Te'o.Te'o is really the closest thing in this draft to a unique/can't miss player in terms of skill set and intangibles. Hes just about can't miss, and with the lack of such players, Te'o will be targeted by teams in the 4-14 range with any need at the MLB spot, one of them being Buffalo. Getting Te'o in the first and a targeted QB in the secind would be a real nice start to the draft.

Albany,n.y.
12-24-2012, 12:55 PM
I generally side with the 'win what you can and worry about the draft spot later' and don't support losing games intentionally just to improve said draft position, but the fact of the matter is a lower draft position does mean that one or more teams will be picking ahead of you that otherwise might not, so at least one opportunity (and most likely more) to take that 'crap shoot' on a specific player will be lost. Although some may disagree with the attitude in the OP, the thread title still contains a legit question.

To clarify, it's not losing intentionally that I'm advocating. I understand that the coaches & players would never do it because their goal is actually the opposite-if Fitzpatrick can win this game, he decreases the possibility of the team being able to find a suitable replacement and is able to continue cashing fat paychecks.
My attitude is as a fan frustrated with all these years of losing and wanting to finally see the team win, I'm not going to sit there and root for something that is counterproductive to the long term interests of my team. I was there before any of these players & coaches & if I survive, I'll be there long after the last one has retired or been waved. Having a higher pick means you have a bigger player pool to select from, giving you better odds of selecting a better player than a team drafting lower. I'm looking at this from the math of it. It also means not having to waste other draft choices, which could yield you a diamond in the rough future star, on trade ups. If losing one more lousy game with a 5-10 record in December gets the team better draft odds of improving, as a fan, that's what I'm going to root for.

OpIv37
12-24-2012, 01:18 PM
We probably don't have to worry about winning anyway.

Chan already has his 1 division victory this year. He's 3-14 in the division. And as if the team wasn't bad enough, the injuries are mounting.

Remember when the schedule came out and a lot of people thought this game could have playoff implications? *sigh

FUTILITY BOWL 2012!

Mike
12-24-2012, 07:05 PM

So your the guy that would rather have been the Chargers drafting Leaf than the Colts drafting Manning simply because of that one extra win?