PDA

View Full Version : This guy's usually plugged in

Yasgur's Farm
12-24-2012, 07:40 AM
I didn't see it posted here... But thought we should have a look. Good stuff man!
A lot of info is coming out of OBD right now. Buddy Nix is being asked to fire Gailey or he himself will be fired (from the very top, they would like to retain nix). The Bills are prepared to offer a huge coach salary to a group of marquee coaches, including 2 college coaches. They feel the roster is attractive enough. There isn't any truth to Gruden coming in right now. Fitz is gone as soon as his cap clause goes into effect and will save 4.6 million to the cap. The Bills top priority is locking up Byrd right now, who is asking for more than Eric Weddle's contract. They have offered a contract to Levitre but say there is only a 50/50 chance hell re-sign. More as I get it.

DFT http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?446581-OBD-Update

Don't Panic
12-24-2012, 07:54 AM
That's a boatload of logic in that post. If its all true, we will see reason for a Happy New Year. I know Chip Kelly is Probably one of the college names. I wonder who the other is. Enjoy the desert, Fitz.

Skooby
12-24-2012, 07:58 AM
I didn't see it posted here... But thought we should have a look. Good stuff man! http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?446581-OBD-Update

Yeah, I'll guess they want a new coach as well.

SquishDaFish
12-24-2012, 08:07 AM
I like everything about what he says. I hope its all true except Levitre (Hope he signs too)

YardRat
12-24-2012, 08:08 AM
The Nix-Gailey thing makes sense...We've been down this road before with Wade.
Might as well throw a boatload of money at somebody, and the new lease should help grease the skids.
If Gailey goes, Fitz probably does also...again, that makes sense.
Weddle got $8mil per year (5yrs 40mil)...highest paid safety in the league. Get it done.
Disappointing if Levitre doesn't return, but honestly I've expected that all season anyway.

justasportsfan
12-24-2012, 08:21 AM
If Nix is let go, I wonder if Whaley gets the job.

Polian is a move that Russ would make to sell tickets.

Don't Panic
12-24-2012, 08:40 AM
That lease was beautifully timed. Whoever comes in next knows there will be 7 years of stability minimum. Had the lease not gone through and a coaching search ensued, I would have been scared ****e less about who we would have hired.

cookie G
12-24-2012, 08:49 AM
How Nix keeps his job is beyond me.

Novacane
12-24-2012, 08:57 AM
The fact Nix doesn't want to fire Gailey is enough reason to fire him too.

trapezeus
12-24-2012, 09:03 AM
levitre signing is the key to moving forward and not just sideways. they need to keep the line in tact and keep going foward.

if they don't sign him, regardless of other changes, i don't see the following year being much better than this.

DraftBoy
12-24-2012, 09:09 AM
Most of that has been reported/speculated on this board in numerous posts so not a lot new there unfortunately.

coastal
12-24-2012, 09:19 AM
Not signing or tagging Levitre would be AWFUL!

you have a superstar in CJ Spiller and to then let go of our best O-Linemen in the past 3 years... STUPID!

The Jokeman
12-24-2012, 09:28 AM
How Nix keeps his job is beyond me.

Easy Ralph needs to comfortable that the GM he has in place will make the moves necessary to make it looks like he's trying to improve this team but still maintain a budget that will allow the team to be profitable. In other words make most fans feel like it's a dog chasing it's own tail but don't let them in on the outside perspective or then they won't buy tickets.

The Jokeman
12-24-2012, 09:30 AM
Not signing or tagging Levitre would be AWFUL!

you have a superstar in CJ Spiller and to then let go of our best O-Linemen in the past 3 years... STUPID!

It would be foolish but it falls in line with the Bills making holes for holes sake and replace it with a top pick. See the countless 1st Round CBs and RBs this team has taken in it's history. As I could see us easily letting Levitre walk, kicking Glenn to LG and then taking a LT prospect like Taylor Lewan or just take a LG prospect like Chance Warmack.

cookie G
12-24-2012, 10:50 AM
Easy Ralph needs to comfortable that the GM he has in place will make the moves necessary to make it looks like he's trying to improve this team but still maintain a budget that will allow the team to be profitable. In other words make most fans feel like it's a dog chasing it's own tail but don't let them in on the outside perspective or then they won't buy tickets.

I think I agree with the comfortable part.

Not sure about the money part, they've spent enough on the D, at least.

But when a GM comes in with the intent on rebuilding the defense, and the finished product is 3 of the 4 worst D's in Bills' history...I have no idea why you'd keep the guy. I have no idea how you CAN keep the guy.

When he took over, there was talk that he let the coaches know that he'd listen to what they had to say, but the personnel decisions would be his...there would be no "consensus building", like there was in the Levy-Jauron years.

I remember saying.."that's fine, it just better work, because if it doesn't, and there won't be anyone to blame but him."

Well, it's been 3 years, his dreams of a dominant defense failed miserably...

and...the blame falls on him. He's a better talent scout than a team builder.

They can let him retire, I guess, make it look like that was the plan all along.

pmoon6
12-24-2012, 11:31 AM
I think Nix and Gailey go.

BertSquirtgum
12-24-2012, 11:35 AM
I didn't see it posted here... But thought we should have a look. Good stuff man! http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?446581-OBD-Update

Everything he has said in the past has come to fruition.

BertSquirtgum
12-24-2012, 11:41 AM
I think signing Levitre is more important than signing Byrd.

DynaPaul
12-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Regardless of who gets hired as the next coach there is one fact that's evident - this time they HAVE TO GET IT RIGHT. Hiring a bad coach is just as damaging as whiffing your 1st round draft pick if not more so. I would rather the organization spend big bucks on a competent coaching staff than throwing that money into some free agent who will underperform.

mrbojanglezs
12-24-2012, 12:05 PM
I think Nix and Gailey go.

Nix is safe unless he resigns

IlluminatusUIUC
12-24-2012, 12:09 PM

I agree 100%. We finally invest two high picks on the OL, one's leg keeps getting exploded and the other might walk after his rookie deal? That makes me want to scream.

Skooby
12-24-2012, 12:14 PM
We need to sign Byrd / Andy & S-can the whole staff.

TigerJ
12-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Most of that has been reported/speculated on this board in numerous posts so not a lot new there unfortunately.

Seculated and wished for? yes. Actually reported? I haven't seen it. It's certainly not surprising. Ralph Wilson is not usually as brash as many owners in making decisions, but he is tuned in to fans, and when he notes that fans are as digruntled as they are right now, he will make some major changes. Even if they like the staff as it is now constituted, and think the play on the field can be turned around without structural changes in the coaching staff, changes will be made to spark hope in the fan base, and hopefully prop up season ticket sales come next spring.

lightningbolt444
12-24-2012, 01:57 PM
I think we can replace either Levitre or Byrd. Not on out current roster but I think we could do it. I dont want to see huge contracts handed to these two and then not have money to improve other spots.

The contracts for these guys need to make sense. They are great players however neither should be the highest paid player at their position in the NFL.

better days
12-24-2012, 02:03 PM

I think it is important to sign BOTH.

Jeff1220
12-24-2012, 02:13 PM
That lease was beautifully timed. Whoever comes in next knows there will be 7 years of stability minimum. Had the lease not gone through and a coaching search ensued, I would have been scared ****e less about who we would have hired.

I agree completely. The instability is likely a huge reason this team ended up with Gailey in the first place. I remember at least one decent candidate last time mentioning the uncertainty of the team's home being a big reason for turning down an interview.

better days
12-24-2012, 02:19 PM
I think we can replace either Levitre or Byrd. Not on out current roster but I think we could do it. I dont want to see huge contracts handed to these two and then not have money to improve other spots.

The contracts for these guys need to make sense. They are great players however neither should be the highest paid player at their position in the NFL.

Well, the player with the newest contract is the highest paid player at that position. That is how it works. If either of those two get away, that leaves a HUGE HOLE to fill. I would rather spend the money on a BILL than a player from another team that we don't know will pan out in Buffalo.

chernobylwraiths
12-24-2012, 02:33 PM
The o-line when healthy is perhaps the best unit on this team. Levitre is the only guy that has played well and remained healthy. He is the priority right now. Try to keep Byrd, but not at huge money. Pay Levitre big money to stay.

ParanoidAndroid
12-24-2012, 02:46 PM
Polamalu, Reed, Wilson, Berry, Griffin, Goldson..... Do you think Byrd should be paid more than these guys? I don't. A top 10 salary? Sure. Top 5? No.

Yasgur's Farm
12-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Here's an updated post...

Guys, not gonna be a lot of updates with the holidays and I can 100% guarantee that no personnel moves will be made during the holidays. There is so much going on at OBD since yesterday and everyone is on a gag order. There will be a lot of rumors and filtered info because of all of the emotion involved, but there will be turnover.

One more thing I can absolutely share now... is about 4 weeks ago I almost really slippped up on mentioning a "go hard" offseason plan that was put in place to bring Michael Vick to Buffalo (billschick caught me red handed). I cannot tell you if this was front office or Gailey's proposal, but this is very true. When speaking with some friends, and asking about him, all I keep getting is smiles. Also, WR is the teams top need be it draft or FA, unless there is a miraculous drop in the first round which WR may not be a need by then. The front office is willing to spend/ trade for a top speed/ radius WR which will tie in to the possible loss of Levitre. If you connect all of these dots, you can see who the Bills are willing to bring in for Coach. Merry Christmas Bills fans! God bless and be safe!

kingJofNYC
12-24-2012, 06:01 PM
A good safety is harder to find than a good guard. I can name you more than half a dozen guards that are equal to or better than Levitre, can't do the same with Byrd. I want both to stay. Levitre isn't worth Nicks/Mankins money, but I'm sure he's not asking for that much.

Nix is a bigger problem than Gailey. Roster is marginally better than what it was when he took over. We have a moron coach and average talent, Nix failed to get a young QB and tied his wagon to a 7th rounder. Nix has done as much if not more damage than Gailey, no clue why deserves to stay.

Skooby
12-24-2012, 06:05 PM
Vick ? This seems like a temporary fix, again.

hemi13

What the HELL good is Vick. He's old and washed up. His brain has got to be jelly by now. This is just another move in a longggg line of moves to sell tickets.
Here we go again. Another crap sandwich, well I'm sick and tired of crap sandwiches and bandaids.
If this is all really true to begin with.

Yasgur's Farm
A good safety is harder to find than a good guard. I can name you more than half a dozen guards that are equal to or better than Levitre, can't do the same with Byrd. I want both to stay. Levitre isn't worth Nicks/Mankins money, but I'm sure he's not asking for that much.

Nix is a bigger problem than Gailey. Roster is marginally better than what it was when he took over. We have a moron coach and average talent, Nix failed to get a young QB and tied his wagon to a 7th rounder. Nix has done as much if not more damage than Gailey, no clue why deserves to stay.
Not even one IMO? Nice to live in the world of absolutes.

Skooby
12-24-2012, 06:14 PM

Only the Sith deal in absolutes.

kingJofNYC
12-24-2012, 06:21 PM

Well you can name a couple of guys that are just as good, but the guys that were far and away the dominate players at the position, Troy P. and Reed, are clearly on the decline and no longer at the top. It says more about the position than Byrd.

Earl Thomas is a good one but he's also used more in the box, Chancellor plays mof. Berry can be a great one but he's coming off injury and hasn't looked like the same player. I'm trying to think of some other good young safeties, can't count Barron yet, and it's hard to do. Byrd's one of the best.

Point is, safeties are harder to find than guards, kind of like shortstops in baseball or center fielders. Just the way it is, this class might infuse some talent at the position if Elam comes out, you'll also have Vaccaro, and Phillip Thomas who you can watch tonight. But there's also a bunch of capable guards.

I'm not dismissing Levitre, just stating an obvious fact of the current NFL, safeties are a rare commodity.

kingJofNYC
12-24-2012, 06:23 PM
Vick is also exactly what the Bills would do under Brandon, that's his mo.

YardRat
12-24-2012, 06:27 PM

Hell No! to Vick and WR being the #1 priority. Hopefully that's a Gailey thing and goes out the window with him. We definitely need a top-quality receiver, but not more than a LBer and a QB.

And, maybe I'm just being a little bit dense, but I don't know how all of his 'dots' connect to a specific coach.

Novacane
12-24-2012, 06:35 PM
Vick is probably Gaileys idea. He'll be gone so hopefully no Vick either.

MikeInRoch
12-24-2012, 06:44 PM
I want Mike Zimmer.

Crisis
12-25-2012, 06:01 AM
Hell No! to Vick and WR being the #1 priority. Hopefully that's a Gailey thing and goes out the window with him. We definitely need a top-quality receiver, but not more than a LBer and a QB.

And, maybe I'm just being a little bit dense, but I don't know how all of his 'dots' connect to a specific coach.

Chip Kelly maybe?

I hate the idea of Levitre going, with all the injuries we've had on the OL in the past few years he's been the ONLY constant. Letting him go will be one of the moves we look back on like Pat Williams and wonder wtf the front office was thinking.

The Jokeman
12-25-2012, 10:28 AM
I want Mike Zimmer.

Why Zimmer? He's been a so so defensive coordinator as sure the Bengals look good this year and last (yet let's not forget he's working under Marvin Lewis) but they were pretty bad two years ago as was the Falcons D he lead in 2007. In Dallas he was again average only finishing in the top 10 twice in seven seasons. Also he has ties to Fitzpatrick with their ties to the Bengals in 2008.

Mouldsie
12-25-2012, 03:57 PM
Chip Kelly, Micheal Vick, CJ Spiller, Fred Jackson, and Keenan Allen

Could be dynamic.

Saratoga Slim
12-25-2012, 05:29 PM
Chip Kelly, Micheal Vick, CJ Spiller, Fred Jackson, and Keenan Allen

Could be dynamic.

Take Mike Vick out of there and you could be right.

But I'm not sure about Chip Kelly either, seems like a swing for the fences move that could backfire in a big way.

Downinfloflo
12-25-2012, 05:46 PM
When you google "Chip Kelly" all the talk is about him becoming the next HC of the Eagles.

Mouldsie
12-25-2012, 11:37 PM
I still think Vick can be a piece of a top 10 offense. Spiller and Jackson would need to be the focal points and then you also surround him with a safety valve in Stevie (and David Nelson) and a downfield threat from the draft + Graham. The line is already solid and far better than Philly's. You feature the run game much like Seattle does and sprinkle in some option runs and when everything else is bottled up Vick can kill a team with his legs to keep the chains moving. Unfortunately we had our chance at Wilson and failed. Vick is not nearly as heady or as strong of a leader.

I think if you bring him in you also grab Nassib or Dysert in round 2 in the scenario above.

kishoph
12-26-2012, 03:38 AM
I still think Vick can be a piece of a top 10 offense. Spiller and Jackson would need to be the focal points and then you also surround him with a safety valve in Stevie (and David Nelson) and a downfield threat from the draft + Graham. The line is already solid and far better than Philly's. You feature the run game much like Seattle does and sprinkle in some option runs and when everything else is bottled up Vick can kill a team with his legs to keep the chains moving. Unfortunately we had our chance at Wilson and failed. Vick is not nearly as heady or as strong of a leader.

I think if you bring him in you also grab Nassib or Dysert in round 2 in the scenario above.

If we could get the Michael Vick of 2010, sure, but even if they do get Vick, I want another QB drafted high, I don't want the team hinging everything on a hit and miss 32 year old QB. I don't agree with drafting a WR high in the draft, While there may not be the big names in free agency, I think we can pick up a solid WR through FA. As far as Jackson being a focal point of the offense, no thank you, I'd keep him through his contract and use him in the right situations, but I don't want it where he's close to splitting carries with Spiller. Jackson will be 32 years old and coming off his least productive season, unfortunately, he's on his way down.

I seen Dysert play in person and I liked some of the things he did, although it was a very windy and hard to really make a true judgement on him, also I want our future QB taken with our 1st pick, in hopes of landing the best one available.

Mr. Pink
12-26-2012, 04:54 AM
I'd rather them keep Fitz than get Michael Vick.

As bad as Fitz is, Vick is worse. He'd sell some jerseys though, if that counts.

Historian
12-26-2012, 04:57 AM
The rumor around town is Gruden, but I have serious doubts about it.

swiper
12-26-2012, 05:48 AM
Nix is safe unless he resigns

And re-signing Levitre is better than 50/50 if the Bills give the appearance of upgrading the coaching staff.

swiper
12-26-2012, 05:49 AM
When you google "Chip Kelly" all the talk is about him becoming the next HC of the Eagles.

That is his rumored destination. Any talk of Chip Kelly to the Bills is just message board pipe dreaming.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-26-2012, 06:16 AM
That is his rumored destination. Any talk of Chip Kelly to the Bills is just message board pipe dreaming.
So is any talk of any new coach. I still maintain there will be NO change in head coach. Mark my words!

IAG
12-26-2012, 06:23 AM
The Bills do not need a big time or big name coach. They need one that will put in solid system that can develop players.

swiper
12-26-2012, 06:25 AM
So is any talk of any new coach. I still maintain there will be NO change in head coach. Mark my words!

I wouldn't be surprised. Especially if the money guys at OBD actaully did give Nix full autonomy to make football decisions. However, you have to ask yourself - doesn't even Nix realize that they won't sell as many tickets next year with the same guy calling the plays next year?