• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coastal
    Legendary Zoner
    • Mar 2005

The Levitre syndrome

Some may have forgotten that we traded two draft picks away to trades back up to select Andy Levitre. Now I realize that the previous Bills regime drafted him, but this signing speaks to one of the overall historical problems with the Buffalo Bills... retaining the talent they have.

Resigning Levitre is the most important resigning of this offseason for a few reasons:

- since our playoff drought began, our oline has sucked... save for the turnaround over past couple of years. Losing our best and most consistent contributor from the past 3 years would be a step back.

- we have to get players that produce beyond their rookie contracts.

- CJ Spiller is a legitimate superstar. You build around players like him. Letting his best blocker go doesn't speak to understanding how to do that.

- Losing him would be a cash choice IMO. Mario Williams' presence would be the face of this organization's dysfunction for this dynamic. I warned everyone about this.

The side effects of the Levitre syndrome are worse than a 4 hour boner... it's another 3 year rebuild started off on the wrong foot.

We might as well draft Dee Milner if we are going to let Levitre walk.

After grabbing a guard prospect at the bottom of round one, Buffalo traded up into the lower half of the second round in a trade with Dallas to get another offensive lineman in Oregon State’s Andy Levitre.

The Bills traded their 75th and 110th overall selections to Dallas to move up to the 51st overall pick to take the versatile lineman.

Levitre played most of his college career at offensive tackle, but was projected by many NFL scouts as a guard due to a lack of prototypical measurables (6’2” 306). For now the Bills are keeping an open mind with the ultra-versatile rookie.

“He’s a kid that’s really versatile, talented and a good technician,” said Bills scout Rashaan Curry. “At Oregon State he had played both guards and both tackles, and even a little bit at tight end. So (like Eric Wood) another blue collar guy, really smart, a football guy.”

“The fact that you only dress seven linemen on game day guys have to be able to play two positions,” said Bills offensive line coach Sean Kugler. “We feel Andy can play guard and also play tackle so we’re very confident he’s versatile enough.”

The Bills were zeroed in on Levitre early on in the draft process and followed up with a personal visit at One Bills Drive prior to the draft. Buffalo was obviously sold on him as they surrendered a pair of middle round picks to ensure they landed him.

...more...

• SpikedLemonade
    • Jun 2024

Re: The Levitre syndrome

An absolute must resigning.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

Would be nice, but not sure I see it happening.

Cutting Fitz and a few others might help with the cap space, but the biggest factor is going to be how much he is asking for. I'm all for retaining him, but not at any cost, especially considering G is probably the deepest position on the team.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Raptor
        • Jan 2009

Meh, OG's are one of the easier position to replace. If its between him and Wood next year Id rather resign Wood. Centers are harder to find

Byrd is the priority

Comment

• jimmifli
          • Nov 2006

He's one of the best pulling guards in the NFL. CJ needs mobile guards to maximize his running style, it might be possible to replace Andy with another competent guard but there are less than five people on the planet that get down field and block as well as Andy. I'm fine with making him among the highest paid guards in the NFL.

Comment

• Buddo
            • Mar 2007

Imho, it might come down to a choice between Byrd and Levitre. That being the case, I feel that Byrd is more important to our D, for the future, than Levitre is to our O. Byrd has to get the money first.

Levitre is highly dependable - and that actually has a worth of its own. The fact that he suits up every Sunday, is not to be sniffed at. I'd rather have him than not, by a long way, but I do think that it will be easier to replace him, than it would to find a replacement for Byrd. Nix and Whaley found Urbik and Rinehart, both of whom are decent players. I believe they can find a replacement for Levitre - if they have to.

Could it come down to $? Quite possibly. But I don't think it'll be because of being cheap, I think it will be because of trying to keep everything under the cap, while still trying to acquire other FAs.

If we can't get Byrd to re-sign, and have to tag him, then the $ becomes a bit easier, as the tag for a safety is a fair bit less than that for a guard. In respect of paying both Byrd and Levitre, I don't think there's much in it, tbh, as Byrd is asking for Weddle money (allegedly), which puts him in the area of $8 million per. Byrd would get that on the open market, in a heartbeat. Levitre will likely need about the same, but his number would go up if he was tagged.

Comment

• jimmifli
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by coastal View Post
              - Losing him would be a cash choice IMO. Mario Williams' presence would be the face of this organization's dysfunction for this dynamic. I warned everyone about this.
              There's no reason you can't keep both Byrd and Levitre, the Mario signing should have no impact. It should impact guys like Brad Smith, expensive rosters spots that could be filled replaced with a 5th round rookie contract.

The entire point of signing Mario was to add talent, not trade it. I think we'll keep both. I was a skeptic last off season with Stevie, Chandler and Fred looking like they were on their way out of town. And they got done. We'll keep our best players and keep building on that talent.

Comment

• bosshogg21
                • Aug 2007

It's pretty simple really... Franchise Byrd and spend the money on levitre.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                  Hall of Fame Zoner
                  • Jan 2010

rinehart is damn good... im not worried about it...

get a damn qb and gruden

Comment

• coastal
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Mar 2005

Rinehart is a free agent too.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by MARCELL DAREUS POWER View Post
                      rinehart is damn good... im not worried about it...

get a damn qb and gruden
                      Damn good? Are you an idiot? Not even on the same planet talent wise. Guy was out of the league before the Bills brought him back, funny how you can say this for a bunch of players on this team.

I agree that it's imperative they sign him, because you're forced to go guard early if he isn't on the team.

Comment

• trapezeus
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Oct 2004

i agree....levitre needs to stay. he's reliable and versatile.

get him done...it's not an one or another proposal on byrd and levitre. you keep your best players and you enhance them with more talent through the draft.

Comment

• coastal
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
                          i agree....levitre needs to stay. he's reliable and versatile.

get him done...it's not an one or another proposal on byrd and levitre. you keep your best players and you enhance them with more talent through the draft.
                          It's not anymore complicated than that.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                            Dances With Buffaloes
                            • Sep 2002

considering he's played center, guard and tackle for us, all three fairly well i might add... he doesn't get hurt much, and represents a rare unit of strength on this team i'd say you build around him. You don't fix a sinking ship by patching new holes and hacking open old ones. We just got the o-line patched. Lets not blow it up again. lets keep that unit together a while longer please.

This is what the bills have done for the past 15 years. They hack open new holes in their roster while filling in the holes they had from the previous year. What good will drafting a QB be if the oline is in shambles again?
                            My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                              Hall of Fame Zoner
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by kingJofNYC View Post
                              Damn good? Are you an idiot? Not even on the same planet talent wise. Guy was out of the league before the Bills brought him back, funny how you can say this for a bunch of players on this team.

I agree that it's imperative they sign him, because you're forced to go guard early if he isn't on the team.

He has been graded as a top 12 guard... ( rinehart)....

it's not that important we resign him unless it's reasonable.

again, we need a qb/gm who have been very successful in the past, ie proven. and they need to get geno smith or matt barkley...

id rather have great ots and keep wood...

Comment

Working...
                              X