PDA

View Full Version : Don't forget the Rooney Rule

X-Era
12-29-2012, 04:39 PM
Rumors will fly about a new GM and HC.

But, no can be hired without following the Rooney Rule.

That applies to both Head Coaching and senior football operation positions (as of 2009).

Polian, Cowher, Gruden... all fun to think of but nothing can be done until they interview minority candidates.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/The-Rooney-Rule-an-analysis.html

Cntrygal
12-29-2012, 05:20 PM
:(

Too bad we can't count our crop of idiots as a minority group.

ServoBillieves
12-29-2012, 05:25 PM
Uhm... We know Uncle Tom. Thanks.

Night Train
12-29-2012, 05:46 PM
If Whaley (black) is our next GM, you can put those worries to rest.

X-Era
12-29-2012, 06:08 PM
If Whaley (black) is our next GM, you can put those worries to rest.I fully expect Whaley to be interviewed if we fire Nix. I'm thinking Polian is a legit possibility but it won't be a new hire right away.

Albany,n.y.
12-29-2012, 06:34 PM
I'm tired of watching the Bills hiring guys in their 70s & 80s to run the front office just because Ralph thinks those "kids" aren't old. Hiring Polian was a good idea 25-30 years ago, not now. If we hire Polian, why don't we just bring back Marv to coach & Kelly as the QB? The last team to try something like this was when Gibbs returned to coach the Redskins. Let the past remain in the past & not tarnish our memories of Polian.

Extremebillsfan247
12-29-2012, 07:13 PM
I fully expect Whaley to be interviewed if we fire Nix. I'm thinking Polian is a legit possibility but it won't be a new hire right away. Nix won't be fired. He may step down and retire, but his job is safe. If he retires, Whaley will be his replacement as GM. Bills like promoting from within the organization especially when it comes to front office personnel. Any Bills fan worth his or her weight in salt should already know that. JMO

Novacane
12-29-2012, 08:34 PM
What good minority candidates are out there for HC?

DraftBoy
12-29-2012, 08:36 PM
What good minority candidates are out there for HC?

Hue Jackson

kingJofNYC
12-29-2012, 09:01 PM
Who cares? They'll trot out the token black candidates and be done with it. Can get it over with in hurry by using Modkins/Whaley.

What a stupid ****ing rule, most of the minority coaches are pretty much obligated to do it even though they understand they have no shot at the job. Dolphins hired Saban without interviewing a minority, they then found a black janitor and interviewed him to get it over with.

Generalissimus Gibby
12-29-2012, 09:13 PM
Black coaches I would go after:

Tony Dungy, perhaps Caldwell (assuming we can get a Manning type QB in free agency or in the draft), or even Green (although I hold him on a very short leash after his last season in Minnesota and his tenure in the desert).

Black coaches I would avoid at all costs:

Crennel (good coordinator, not a HC)
Jerry Gray
Herm Edwards
the guy who was in Philly and then Green Bay

BLeonard
12-29-2012, 09:18 PM
the guy who was in Philly and then Green Bay

Ray Rhodes. He's currently a Senior Defensive Assistant with the Browns. Wouldn't surprise me if they interview him to fulfill the Rooney Rule.

-Bill

BertSquirtgum
12-29-2012, 09:18 PM
They already interviewed Curtris Modkins. Rooney rule done.

Albany,n.y.
12-29-2012, 10:33 PM
Who cares? They'll trot out the token black candidates and be done with it. Can get it over with in hurry by using Modkins/Whaley.

What a stupid ****ing rule, most of the minority coaches are pretty much obligated to do it even though they understand they have no shot at the job. Dolphins hired Saban without interviewing a minority, they then found a black janitor and interviewed him to get it over with.
The only time the Rooney rule worked is when Rooney used it correctly himself & found a suitable candidate. Most teams make a mockery of the rule by bringing guys in like Jerry Gray just to meet the quota.

jamze132
12-30-2012, 12:34 AM
I understand what the Rooney Rule is but it's run it's course in the NFL. Does anyone really think any black guy is proud to walk into the owner's or GM's office for a job interview because the team HAS to interview a black guy? It's embarrassing and it's keeping racism's flame burning.

X-Era
12-30-2012, 09:06 AM
They already interviewed Curtris Modkins. Rooney rule done.They did? I must have missed that report.

RedEyE
12-30-2012, 09:11 AM
I would hope Ray Horton would be on the short list despite the stupid Rooney Rule.

DraftBoy
12-30-2012, 09:12 AM
I understand what the Rooney Rule is but it's run it's course in the NFL. Does anyone really think any black guy is proud to walk into the owner's or GM's office for a job interview because the team HAS to interview a black guy? It's embarrassing and it's keeping racism's flame burning.

You have to keep in mind what it does though for those selected coaches. In almost every instance this black guy would never even get to sit in the room and conduct the interview. Is it a sham? Sure (which is a problem in itself) but its also good practice for these coaches to at least get the interview. I've taken 4 job interviews in my life that I knew going in I was never going to take the job for one reason or another. I wanted that practice or sitting in the room and going through the process. Helped me out a lot in my opinion.

X-Era
12-30-2012, 09:21 AM
You have to keep in mind what it does though for those selected coaches. In almost every instance this black guy would never even get to sit in the room and conduct the interview. Is it a sham? Sure (which is a problem in itself) but its also good practice for these coaches to at least get the interview. I've taken 4 job interviews in my life that I knew going in I was never going to take the job for one reason or another. I wanted that practice or sitting in the room and going through the process. Helped me out a lot in my opinion.
I agree. The practice is key for your future.

It is a sham in many cases. But the hiring of black head coaches is happening still so I can't say its a total sham... Some of these candidates are being seriously considered.

jlgarsh
12-30-2012, 09:38 AM
I think Leslie Frazier's doing a pretty good job in Minnesota. Peterson's going off obviously, but with Harvin out half the year and Ponder at QB, it's amazing to me that they're 9-6 with a chance at the playoffs.

Johnny Bugmenot
12-30-2012, 03:40 PM
They already interviewed Curtris Modkins. Rooney rule done.
How can it be done when there is no vacancy?

X-Era
12-30-2012, 03:41 PM
How can it be done when there is no vacancy?It can't.

Mr. Pink
12-30-2012, 03:42 PM
Romeo Crennel is probably gonna be fired...just bring him in and say thanks for your time.

Done.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-30-2012, 03:49 PM
We should drag Ted Cottrell out from wherever he is for his traditional interview-that-goes-nowhere.

Novacane
12-30-2012, 03:50 PM
I think Leslie Frazier's doing a pretty good job in Minnesota. Peterson's going off obviously, but with Harvin out half the year and Ponder at QB, it's amazing to me that they're 9-6 with a chance at the playoffs.

And we could of hired him over Gailey. :ill: Off the guys we knew they were interviewing last time Frazier was the last guy I wanted. Then I heard they hired Gailey and Frazier suddenly looked like a great idea!

Bmax
12-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Some of the choices on the list above were laughable..

Winston Moss-GB Asst head coach-Inside LB coach- Asst head COACH FOR FIVE YEARS..47 yrs old..
Todd Bowles-49 yrs old.. def coord for eagles since oct..for interm head coach with miami..

Ray Horton-DEF Coordinator-Arizona-Former steeler assistant..great job with Arizona hire him if he gets fired from arizona ..at least as def co.

David Shaw-Stanford...just signed ext.. with stanford great coach.. best on this list...

John Mitchell-Asst head coach with Pitt def line coach for 18 years..Not likely to get job but deserves an interview..probably wont leave pitt or even get job but his work in nfl proves he should be on a list..

Mike Singletary--Can't do it !!! LOL..