PDA

View Full Version : Report: Full house cleaning coming

T-Long
12-30-2012, 07:53 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/30/report-bills-appear-headed-for-full-house-cleaning/

We can all hope...

NOT THE DUDE...
12-30-2012, 07:54 AM
well duh

better days
12-30-2012, 08:05 AM
It would be really stupid to fire a GM just before the draft.

T-Long
12-30-2012, 08:06 AM
I think Whaley is tuned in enough to be able to take over pre-draft

better days
12-30-2012, 08:10 AM
I think Whaley is tuned in enough to be able to take over pre-draft

Maybe so. That would make much more sense than to bring in someone from outside the organization.

T-Long
12-30-2012, 08:13 AM
Yeah, I truly think Gailey goes, Nix stays (in some type of role as an advisor) and Whaley takes the reigns with Nix still being a voice in the room

X-Era
12-30-2012, 08:14 AM
I wonder if it will be a trifecta... change in ownership (at least the controlling part), GM, and HC.

Mr. Pink
12-30-2012, 08:16 AM

Why?

It would make more sense to have a lame duck GM make all the picks then replace him in June?

That would be even stupider.

If he's going to be fired, you fire him now.

better days
12-30-2012, 08:19 AM
Yeah, I truly think Gailey goes, Nix stays (in some type of role as an advisor) and Whaley takes the reigns with Nix still being a voice in the room

I would be happy with that outcome.

YardRat
12-30-2012, 08:20 AM
:rofl:

Apparently Nix and Gailey's dialect is rubbing off on Gaughan...

But if general manager Buddy Nix is leaving, he hasn’t heared about it,

Mr. Pink
12-30-2012, 08:21 AM
The entire organization needs to be fired...everybody.

Why promote Whaley and keep Nix?

Whaley has been here for the failure known as the 2011 draft and 2012 draft.

What's the point in him staying?

Demoting Nix and promoting Whaley = spinning your wheels. Same old garbage.

better days
12-30-2012, 08:22 AM
Why?

It would make more sense to have a lame duck GM make all the picks then replace him in June?

That would be even stupider.

If he's going to be fired, you fire him now.

WHY??? Because you paid the man the entire year to scout for the draft for your team. I doubt anyone good from a different team would even be available before the draft, but if he were, he would have scouted for that teams needs, not the Bills needs.

Mr. Pink
12-30-2012, 08:25 AM
WHY??? Because you paid the man the entire year to scout for the draft for your team. I doubt anyone good from a different team would even be available before the draft, but if he were, he would have scouted for that teams needs, not the Bills needs.

What's the difference? Nix has gone out and got guys like Aaron Williams, Troup, Carrington, Easley, TJ Graham. etc...

It's not like he's going out and bringing in quality players outside of Spiller who wasn't even a need at the time he was picked anyway.

better days
12-30-2012, 08:32 AM
What's the difference? Nix has gone out and got guys like Aaron Williams, Troup, Carrington, Easley, TJ Graham. etc...

It's not like he's going out and bringing in quality players outside of Spiller who wasn't even a need at the time he was picked anyway.

Nix has drafted: Glenn, Dareus, Gilmore as well, & Carrington, Easley & Graham may become stars yet.

YardRat
12-30-2012, 08:33 AM
I'm OK with promoting Whaley...riding shotgun is a little bit different than having your hands on the wheel. Give him a shot.

tampabay25690
12-30-2012, 09:02 AM
Yea big changes I think start tonite!
If the Bills lose I can see Gailey getting canned tonite.
Should be interesting day or 2

DraftBoy
12-30-2012, 09:05 AM
Just to note if we really are doing a full house cleaning that would likely mean Gailey, Nix, AND Whaley are all gone.

ParanoidAndroid
12-30-2012, 09:55 AM

What decisions did Whaley make? What was his overall influence on the picks finally made? I don't think you can make even a good guess at that without being inside the organization.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-30-2012, 10:14 AM

and it makes more sense to keep him when he has produced ****? with this logic, a gm never gets fired lol

Mr. Pink
12-30-2012, 10:36 AM
What decisions did Whaley make? What was his overall influence on the picks finally made? I don't think you can make even a good guess at that without being inside the organization.

And that's the unknown but I'd assume he had some input in the decisions that were made. If not, what the hell was he doing? Twiddling his thumbs?

TacklingDummy
12-30-2012, 10:37 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/30/report-bills-appear-headed-for-full-house-cleaning/

We can all hope...

And without a franchise QB we can have another house cleaning in 3 years. Wash, Rinse, Repeat. It's the Buffalo way.

Mr. Pink
12-30-2012, 10:39 AM
And without a franchise QB we can have another house cleaning in 3 years. Wash, Rinse, Repeat. It's the Buffalo way.

You need to do the proper house cleaning to get a franchise QB. Lets hope we get it right this time.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-30-2012, 10:43 AM
and it makes more sense to keep him when he has produced ****? with this logic, a gm never gets fired lol
Tactical.

The GM sets up the whole year scouting plan. What do they look for, team needs, ranking etc. Unless in really bad situations, teams change GM afetr Draft, like Modrak let go in May.

Do you fire the entire scouting team as a wholesale change? If so, does the new GM has a team doing the same the entire season? If not, does the new GM trust anyone already here? And then the question of those scouts probably looking for their own way out as well.

Trust me wholesale changes are not easy for any organization, football or not. It usually gets worse before getting better. And I would not term Nix as a complete disaster as Levy's run as GM. I's say the talent level, draft and FA overall, is the best they have been since Wade years. A better coaching staff, even the Mularkeys and Gregg Williams, may have had this team having a winning record in 2012.

kishoph
12-30-2012, 11:16 AM
Maybe Ralph flying back to Detroit instead staying in Buffalo means that he won't even bother having the 'end of season meeting' that they usually have, meaning that the ax may drop as soon as tomorrow.

EDS
12-30-2012, 11:29 AM

That is why you fire him on Monday along with Whaley and the rest of his staff.

better days
12-30-2012, 11:53 AM
You need to do the proper house cleaning to get a franchise QB. Lets hope we get it right this time.

And if you do not have a GM that has been on the Bills payroll, who is going to make that decision about a franchise QB? Like I said, NOBODY worth anything will be available for a GM job just before the draft.

Mr. Pink
12-30-2012, 11:59 AM
And if you do not have a GM that has been on the Bills payroll, who is going to make that decision about a franchise QB? Like I said, NOBODY worth anything will be available for a GM job just before the draft.

Yes, because the guy we currently have has done such a TREMENDOUS job at the QB position. You trust that bum who extended Fitz to the tune of 10m a season on average and completely ignore drafting a QB to bring in a new QB? I mean the 2 QBs he did bring in have done such an awesome job for the Bills.

Oh wait...VY got cut and Jackson hasn't even dressed.

Dude
12-30-2012, 12:00 PM
The draft is at the end of April. I hope they don't wait that long to fire Nix.

better days
12-30-2012, 12:07 PM
That is why you fire him on Monday along with Whaley and the rest of his staff.

Monday is still to LATE. The time to fire a GM as AFTER the draft so the new GM has a year to prepare for the next draft. Like I have said & repeated, NOBODY worth their salt will be available until AFTER the draft. It is just ridiculous to think any other team will allow ANYONE on their payroll to leave just before the draft. And 12-31-12 is just before the draft.

Novacane
12-30-2012, 12:09 PM

Thank you!!!!!!!!!! It seems the entire board is all for Whaley as the new GM. WHY????????? He's been here for the entire debacle!! I don't understand Bills fans!

Mr. Pink
12-30-2012, 12:10 PM
Monday is still to LATE. The time to fire a GM as AFTER the draft so the new GM has a year to prepare for the next draft. Like I have said & repeated, NOBODY worth their salt will be available until AFTER the draft. It is just ridiculous to think any other team will allow ANYONE on their payroll to leave just before the draft. And 12-31-12 is just before the draft.

That's why the Browns are waiting til April to fire Heckert...oh wait.

Novacane
12-30-2012, 12:12 PM

That's bull! Almost all changes occur right after the season! Please give me a list from the last three years of GM changes that were made right after the draft! Anyone that isn't up on current college players and can't prepare for a draft in 4 months isn't worth his salt!

Novacane
12-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Nix has drafted: Glenn, Dareus, Gilmore as well, & Carrington, Easley & Graham may become stars yet.

Would you please stop saying Easley may become a star. That's ******ed!

better days
12-30-2012, 12:16 PM
The draft is at the end of April. I hope they don't wait that long to fire Nix.

Aside from Polian, who is about the same age as Nix & has been out of the loop for a year, who would you suggest run the Bills draft? Russ Brandon? AGAIN, NOBODY that is currently employed by a team in their front office will be available until AFTER the draft is over.

- - - Updated - - -

Would you please stop saying Easley may become a star. That's ******ed!

How long did it take Stevie to become a star? Or Freddie?

Mr. Pink
12-30-2012, 12:17 PM

I'll leave the sarcasm out of a response this time...

So you'd rather Nix stay and have some input on the new head coach, then go out and pick up free agents THEN go out and run the draft. Then you fire him?

So you bring in a new guy who may or may not like the HC choice. May not like the roster decisions. So what have you done? You've literally wasted an entire offseason bringing in guys that your GM wants no part of. Or you're severely hampering your GM hiring process because you'll run into guys who don't want to spend an entire season in a mess where they don't want the coaches that are here or even more players they want no part of.

What sense does any of that make?

better days
12-30-2012, 12:18 PM
That's bull! Almost all changes occur right after the season! Please give me a list from the last three years of GM changes that were made right after the draft! Anyone that isn't up on current college players and can't prepare for a draft in 4 months isn't worth his salt!

OK, you name me the GMs that were hired between January & draft day & their first draft with the team that hired them.

better days
12-30-2012, 12:19 PM
I'll leave the sarcasm out of a response this time...

So you'd rather Nix stay and have some input on the new head coach, then go out and pick up free agents THEN go out and run the draft. Then you fire him?

So you bring in a new guy who may or may not like the HC choice. May not like the roster decisions. So what have you done? You've literally wasted an entire offseason bringing in guys that your GM wants no part of. Or you're severely hampering your GM hiring process because you'll run into guys who don't want to spend an entire season in a mess where they don't want the coaches that are here or even more players they want no part of.

A HC does not need to be hired until AFTER the draft.

What sense does any of that make?

Mr. Pink
12-30-2012, 12:20 PM
Aside from Polian, who is about the same age as Nix & has been out of the loop for a year, who would you suggest run the Bills draft? Russ Brandon? AGAIN, NOBODY that is currently employed by a team in their front office will be available until AFTER the draft is over.

Then why are the Browns firing Heckert? Why are the Jags firing Gene Smith? Why did the Panthers fire Marty Hurney 10 weeks ago? Scott Pioli in KC is likely a goner. AJ Smith in Philly might be a goner. Explain.

Mr. Pink
12-30-2012, 12:22 PM
:rofl:

What players are you gonna get in FA for a team with NO head coach?

What players do you even know who to target in FA or in the draft when you have NO head coach?

If you have no HC you have no offensive or defensive philosophy.

Novacane
12-30-2012, 12:24 PM
OK, you name me the GMs that were hired between January & draft day & their first draft with the team that hired them.

PRACTICALLY EVERY DAMN GM CHANGE THAT"S BEEN MADE SINCE I'VE BEEN A FOOTBALL FAN HAPPENS IN JANUARY RIGHT AFTER THE SEASON ENDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where are you getting this that teams change GM's after the draft? It doesn't happen that way!! Please support this with facts! You are making yourself look like you don't know WTH you are talking about!

Novacane
12-30-2012, 12:26 PM
I feel like I'm arguing with my 10 yr old son! :rolleyes:

IlluminatusUIUC
12-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Keeping the GM through the draft only to fire him afterwards is such a godawful idea I can't believe anyone would suggest it with a straight face.

SquishDaFish
12-30-2012, 12:30 PM
Dude Gms getting fired usually happen in JAN so they can prepare for the draft with the new GM

Mr. Pink
12-30-2012, 12:31 PM

Just an FYI...the Colts didn't need to keep Polian to be able to draft Andrew Luck.

He was fired on Jan 3.

Somehow they were able to hire someone of the streets, Ryan Grigson from the Eagles, in time for the draft so they could get Luck.

coastal
12-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Boys have a penis. Girls have a vagina.

YardRat
12-30-2012, 12:45 PM
Just to note if we really are doing a full house cleaning that would likely mean Gailey, Nix, AND Whaley are all gone.

Well, if that's the case, technically a full house cleaning would include Brandon and everybody else also.

Mr. Pink
12-30-2012, 12:46 PM
Well, if that's the case, technically a full house cleaning would include Brandon and everybody else also.

Littman and Brandon will be with the franchise as long as Ralph is alive.

YardRat
12-30-2012, 12:47 PM
Littman and Brandon will be with the franchise as long as Ralph is alive.

I agree.

Dude
12-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Why would any team wait until after the draft to bring in a new GM? One of the main reasons you get rid of the GM is because he is making bad personnel decisions. Why on earth would you want to give him yet another draft to screw up, and THEN bring in a new guy who would completely change the philosophy where players are concerned?

Absolutely no logic in that.

Dude
12-30-2012, 01:31 PM
Further, if you wait until after the draft to can the GM, then you are either waiting until then to fire the HC as well, or you're going into the draft with no HC (and going almost 5 months without a HC). Either way you're missing out on all the viable candidates and you end up with Chan Gailey. And you will have a hell of a time signing free agents with a lame duck regime in place or with no HC at all.

EDS
12-30-2012, 01:43 PM

You are so thoroughly wrong I feel sorry for you.

BertSquirtgum
12-30-2012, 07:49 PM
Gailey should have been fired after last years debacle.

better days
12-30-2012, 10:43 PM
PRACTICALLY EVERY DAMN GM CHANGE THAT"S BEEN MADE SINCE I'VE BEEN A FOOTBALL FAN HAPPENS IN JANUARY RIGHT AFTER THE SEASON ENDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where are you getting this that teams change GM's after the draft? It doesn't happen that way!! Please support this with facts! You are making yourself look like you don't know WTH you are talking about!

Name 3 then that were hired between January & the draft & how was their first draft?

- - - Updated - - -

I feel like I'm arguing with my 10 yr old son! :rolleyes:

So you are saying your 10 year old son is smarter than you, OK.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-30-2012, 10:47 PM
can mcgahee be our gm?

TrEd FTW
12-30-2012, 11:12 PM
Boys have a penis. Girls have a vagina.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YO8yNu5__kM" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

better days
12-30-2012, 11:57 PM
That's why the Browns are waiting til April to fire Heckert...oh wait.

Joe Banner was hired LONG ago. NOT in January!!!!!! He will be replacing Heckert.

better days
12-31-2012, 12:09 AM
Then why are the Browns firing Heckert? Why are the Jags firing Gene Smith? Why did the Panthers fire Marty Hurney 10 weeks ago? Scott Pioli in KC is likely a goner. AJ Smith in Philly might be a goner. Explain.

Like I said Banner was hired a long time ago. I'm sure he has his ducks in a row for the draft. Gene Smith drafted a punter in the 3rd rnd last year! Whoever they get will be smarter than that. Marty Hurney was fired back in October. That was the time to fire a GM, NOT in January. Reports are Pioli will not be fired. AJ Smith is no better than Gene Smith & Spanos son who has been training in the scouting dept is also taking control of that team.

better days
12-31-2012, 12:20 AM
Why would any team wait until after the draft to bring in a new GM? One of the main reasons you get rid of the GM is because he is making bad personnel decisions. Why on earth would you want to give him yet another draft to screw up, and THEN bring in a new guy who would completely change the philosophy where players are concerned?

Absolutely no logic in that.

Teams with a bad GM should fire him LONG before the draft. Who are you going to hire for GM in January?

cookie G
12-31-2012, 12:45 AM
[QUOTE=better days;3732363]Name 3 then that were hired between January & the draft & how was their first draft?

Thomas Dimitroff - hired January 2008 from NE.

Matt Ryan*
Sam Baker
Curtis Lofton
Chevis Jackson
Harry Douglas

Ted Thompson

Hired Jan. 2005

Aaron Rodgers**
Nick Collins**
Bobby Poppinga

Bill Polian - Indy Hired December 1997

Peyton Manning***
Jerome Pathon
Steve McKinney

* denotes Pro Bowler
** denotes multiple Pro Bowler
***denotes future HOF'er

Mr. Pink
12-31-2012, 03:19 AM
Joe Banner was hired LONG ago. NOT in January!!!!!! He will be replacing Heckert.

Banner is not the GM. Banner is the CEO.

Dude
12-31-2012, 07:49 AM
Teams with a bad GM should fire him LONG before the draft.
Exactly. Now is the right time to do it, not in April. Even the Mayans know that December and January are not "just before" the end of April.

To your second point, you will have the more candidates available to you after the season than in the middle of it.

I'm blown away by some of the stuff that floats on message boards this time of year.

DraftBoy
12-31-2012, 07:51 AM

Brandon isn't tied to Football Ops anymore so not sure why he would be included.