PDA

View Full Version : Head Coaching Prospect: Bill Cowher

X-Era
12-30-2012, 09:49 AM
Gailey hasn't even been canned yet but I think it's likely.

I want Cowher.

I think we had a better shot than many gave us credit for before. His wife supposedly didn't want to move. She has passed away.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8793005/cleveland-browns-eye-fresh-offensive-mind-coach-sources-say

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4792467

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/breaking/kaye-cowher-wife-of-former-steelers-coach-dies-at-54-256498/

After his wife died he stated he would consider coaching again (Aug 24th, 2010):

"The next step might be coaching but he is not in a rush. He enjoys the CBS job and has done well at it. “If the right situation occurred, I’d consider coaching,” he said. “But everyone asks, ‘What’s the right situation?’ I don’t know. I’m not sitting and looking at any one job."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/25/sports/football/25sandomir.html?_r=0

In Oct of 2011 he said he would not coach in 2012:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/30/cowher-says-he-doesnt-plan-to-coach-next-year/

He also said he could stay in TV for good:

"After other NFL (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Organizations/Sports+Leagues/NFL) studio shows Sunday buzzed about where CBS' Bill Cowher might coach next year, Cowher squashed the speculation on CBS' pregame show. "I do not plan on coaching next year.…I plan on being back in the same seat next year." The ex-Pittsburgh coach, in an interview Sunday, suggested he might stay in TV permanently: "That's a distinct possibility.""

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/hiestand-tv/story/2011-10-30/cbs-bill-cowher/51007744/1

He has ties to Whaley who may or may not survive. I could see Whaley being the GM or promoted to an equal level with Cowher and Cowher being given the top role in football op's along with the HC job.

Cowher owns a place in NY:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/8/29/3277488/steelers-coach-bill-cowher-condo-new-york-jets-giants

Not sure whether having a place in NY helps or not. He could be home in an hour from Buff.

There was a rumor that Cowher would consider the Bills (one of the 3 teams he would consider) but I can't seem to find anything on that. I'm sure it's just conjecture but given the consideration he gave us before, his wifes passing, and a better roster this time around, I could see a better chance. Anyways, If you know where that came from can please provide a link.

The biggest issues are whether he wants to coach again and his friendship with Gailey. I wonder if Gailey gets canned, the Bills show interest in Cowher and Cowher contacts Gailey to extend the olive branch about taking the job.

Yes, we have little shot at a marquee HC. But, this is the caliber of HC I want.

YardRat
12-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Not really a Cowher fan myself, would rather head in a new direction.

mrbojanglezs
12-30-2012, 10:07 AM
Chip Kelly would be my first choice

NOT THE DUDE...
12-30-2012, 10:09 AM
i dont think its totally that far fetched. lets hope we lose today to get barkley...

maybe a stupid question- do we go back to the 34? lol

YardRat
12-30-2012, 10:10 AM
i dont think its totally that far fetched. lets hope we lose today to get barkley...

maybe a stupid question- do we go back to the 34? lol

Barkley will probably be on the board regardless of when we pick...unfortunately.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Barkley will probably be on the board regardless of when we pick...unfortunately.

look man, they are taking a qb. so give whoever it is a chance. i mean, barkley has a solid record. similar to stafford or ryan... what else do you want?

Ed
12-30-2012, 10:16 AM
I've heard before that Cowher has said that if he returned to coaching he'd only take a job where he had a franchise qb because he knows you can't win without one.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-30-2012, 10:18 AM
I've heard before that Cowher has said that if he returned to coaching he'd only take a job where he had a franchise qb because he knows you can't win without one.

wont we be in a position to get one if we lose?

Ed
12-30-2012, 10:24 AM
I don't know. We probably still won't be picking in the top 5 and there will likely be four teams in front of us that have a worse qb situation. Plus there's plenty of debate about this class having any legit franchise type qb's. Even if Cowher thinks there's one or two, we're not guaranteed to get them. I could see a coach looking at the Bills and not being comfortable with their current or future qb situation.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-30-2012, 10:28 AM
I sided with Cowher during Donahoe Cowher feud and thought it was a bad hire for Bills making Donahoe the GM. HOWEVER, I think Donahoe's big picture idea is right - hire the upcomers, not recycled one or someone already won and does not have the strong drive any more. That is the Pittsburgh way.

I'm afraid Cowher belongs to the latter category. He quit, unlike Shanahan in Washington who was fired.

X-Era
12-30-2012, 10:29 AM
I don't know. We probably still won't be picking in the top 5 and there will likely be four teams in front of us that have a worse qb situation. Plus there's plenty of debate about this class having any legit franchise type qb's. Even if Cowher thinks there's one or two, we're not guaranteed to get them. I could see a coach looking at the Bills and not being comfortable with their current or future qb situation.The flip side is also true... New HC's like to choose there QB. And Cowher would have a top ten pick (if it works out that way).

NOT THE DUDE...
12-30-2012, 10:32 AM
I don't know. We probably still won't be picking in the top 5 and there will likely be four teams in front of us that have a worse qb situation. Plus there's plenty of debate about this class having any legit franchise type qb's. Even if Cowher thinks there's one or two, we're not guaranteed to get them. I could see a coach looking at the Bills and not being comfortable with their current or future qb situation.

we can get glennon, barkley, smith, murray, wilson...

but i concede your point. it's not the greatest position to be in. the team is so ****ed.

how the hell do the colts go from manning to luck and we havent replaced kelly in almost 2 decades... ugh

jlgarsh
12-30-2012, 10:32 AM
I sided with Cowher during Donahoe Cowher feud and thought it was a bad hire for Bills making Donahoe the GM. HOWEVER, I think Donahoe's big picture idea is right - hire the upcomers, not recycled one or someone already won and does not have the strong drive any more. That is the Pittsburgh way.

I'm afraid Cowher belongs to the latter category. He quit, unlike Shanahan in Washington who was fired.

It's not far fetched to believe that Cowher left due to his wife being sick, and didn't want it made public...He had enough money to take time off to spend with her. I think most people would do the same thing (if they could afford to).

X-Era
12-30-2012, 10:36 AM
we can get glennon, barkley, smith, murray, wilson...

but i concede your point. it's not the greatest position to be in. the team is so ****ed.

how the hell do the colts go from manning to luck and we havent replaced kelly in almost 2 decades... ugh I like our chances just as much as most of the teams with presumed vacancies.

Mr. Pink
12-30-2012, 10:37 AM
If Cowher does come back to coaching next year and Whaley stays here I'd put Buffalo and Cleveland as the top two likely Cowher landing spots out of what jobs will be available.

X-Era
12-30-2012, 10:40 AM
If Cowher does come back to coaching next year and Whaley stays here I'd put Buffalo and Cleveland as the top two likely Cowher landing spots out of what jobs will be available.
I like your thinking. I'm worried about Cleveland but I think they're roster is inferior and they have the Weeden/McCoy mess plus Banner lurking over head.

X-Era
12-30-2012, 10:49 AM
So, apparently Mark Kelso was on WGR and said he could confirm former HC's were in town last week and we did talk with them about coaching...

Wow

Can anyone confirm that Kelso said that?

Mr. Pink
12-30-2012, 10:51 AM
So, apparently Mark Kelso was on WGR and said he could confirm former HC's were in town last week and we did talk with them about coaching...

Wow

Can anyone confirm that Kelso said that?

I was not listening but I will say that I'd think to show respect that Littman or Brandon or both would fly to where these guys live to meet with them. That combined with the fact we still have a HC who's employed by the team to hide the fact from him.

Unless Gailey has already been told that he's being fired tomorrow privately on the second part of that statement.

mrbojanglezs
12-30-2012, 11:31 AM
if cowher is head coach you think he would bring on Gailey as his OC? LOL Isn't he on record for saying Gailey would be his OC at his next HC job?

SquishDaFish
12-30-2012, 11:49 AM
**** no on Barkley

X-Era
12-30-2012, 12:03 PM
if cowher is head coach you think he would bring on Gailey as his OC? LOL Isn't he on record for saying Gailey would be his OC at his next HC job?
I thought about that too but quickly dismissed it. I can't see Gailey sticking around after losing his HC job unless Cowher is willing to convince him to stay. That Cowher would have to somehow give him enough power to let him save face.

I can't see it.

YardRat
12-30-2012, 02:26 PM
look man, they are taking a qb. so give whoever it is a chance. i mean, barkley has a solid record. similar to stafford or ryan... what else do you want?

I don't want a QB that is going to bring USC stink to WNY.

X-Era
12-30-2012, 02:32 PM
I don't want a QB that is going to bring USC stink to WNY.I wouldn't hate Barkley but I also wouldn't be too excited.

Mr. Pink
12-30-2012, 03:57 PM
I wouldn't hate Barkley but I also wouldn't be too excited.

Weak armed QB with a bum shoulder? Pass.

MikeInRoch
12-30-2012, 03:59 PM

No. There isn't one available.

coastal
12-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Bill Ckwher is never going to work for Ralph Wilson's Buffalo Bills.

X-Era
12-30-2012, 04:13 PM
Bill Ckwher is never going to work for Ralph Wilson's Buffalo Bills.I'm glad I want Cowher then... Lol.

I'm not entirely positive it will still be Ralph's call...

And I think we were very much in the mix in 2010 as I said.

Mr. Pink
12-30-2012, 04:16 PM
I'm glad I want Cowher then... Lol.

I'm not entirely positive it will still be Ralph's call...

And I think we were very much in the mix in 2010 as I said.

I disagree that we were in the mix in 2010 but it had nothing to do with us being the Buffalo Bills. It had to do with his wife and the fact that no NFL franchise was in the mix for his services.

I honestly think none of the moves of this franchise anymore are Ralph's call and everything is Littman's call based on some input from Brandon.

X-Era
12-30-2012, 04:18 PM
I disagree that we were in the mix in 2010 but it had nothing to do with us being the Buffalo Bills. It had to do with his wife and the fact that no NFL franchise was in the mix for his services.

I honestly think none of the moves of this franchise anymore are Ralph's call and everything is Littman's call based on some input from Brandon.The Bills as a team were under consideration for him IMO. But I agree that his wife was a or even the major reason for him not taking it. That reason isn't part of the current equation.

I like our chances even better.

coastal
12-30-2012, 04:20 PM
Bill Cowher isn't coming here.

X-Era
12-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Bill Cowher isn't coming here.You're probably right but you don't know for sure.

Mr. Pink
12-30-2012, 04:25 PM
Bill Cowher isn't coming here.

I'm sure if he did and we gave him like 10m per you'd say he wasn't worth the money anyway and you'd do a weekly running tab on wins per million. :D

SquishDaFish
12-30-2012, 04:28 PM
Good point FunTimes. Cowher prob talked bad about him somewhere or stole something from him just like Mario LMAO

jlgarsh
I'm sure if he did and we gave him like 10m per you'd say he wasn't worth the money anyway and you'd do a weekly running tab on wins per million. :D

LOL one of the funniest posts I've seen all year!!!!

coastal
Unfair comparison.. And you are smart enough to know it.

Bill Cowher has a top 5 coaches in the NFL reputation.

He isn't coming to work for this Mickey Mouse organization.

coastal
12-30-2012, 04:29 PM
Keep on hating on me homos.

one problem... I was right about Mario and Im right that Bill Cowher isn't coming to Buffalo.

SquishDaFish
12-30-2012, 04:31 PM
Yea 1 season of Mario with a **** coaching staff makes you right. Go fly a kite ***

Mr. Pink
12-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Keep on hating on me homos.

one problem... I was right about Mario and Im right that Bill Cowher isn't coming to Buffalo.

Your homophobic tendencies make me wonder about you.

I was kidding about the Cowher wins per million tab.

coastal
12-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Yea 1 season of Mario with a **** coaching staff makes you right. Go fly a kite ***
Now it's the coaching staff's fault he plays like he has a limp wrist?

lolz.

coastal
12-30-2012, 04:35 PM
Your homophobic tendencies make me wonder about you.

I was kidding about the Cowher wins per million tab.
I know... And I'm just kidding in my caustic way back.

im actually a lot of fun when were winning.

X-Era
12-31-2012, 11:31 AM
I really hope we contact him

X-Era
01-03-2013, 08:57 PM
Still my #1 target.

Figster
01-04-2013, 02:37 AM
I haven't even mentioned Cowher , but he is always at the top of my list along with Gruden.

JoeMama
01-04-2013, 02:43 AM
Bill Cowher has gone soft in the head from too many years in the booth.

It was his dumb ass that recommended Chan Gailey in the first place.

How'd that work out for us?

No thanks to the Chin. And he can keep his terrible ideas to his ****ing self for all I care.

Figster
01-04-2013, 03:31 AM
Bill Cowher has gone soft in the head from too many years in the booth.

It was his dumb ass that recommended Chan Gailey in the first place.

How'd that work out for us?

No thanks to the Chin. And he can keep his terrible ideas to his ****ing self for all I care.

joeMama:cgal:

Historian
01-04-2013, 05:51 AM
Never happen.

We just canned his buddy.