• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Head Coaching Prospect: Bill Cowher

Gailey hasn't even been canned yet but I think it's likely.

I want Cowher.

I think we had a better shot than many gave us credit for before. His wife supposedly didn't want to move. She has passed away.

Cleveland is expected to make a major run at a college coach such as Oregon’s Chip Kelly or Penn State’s Bill O'Brien or search for a bright young offensive NFL mind.

The Bill and Bill Cowher talked during a "stealth meeting" with Bill Cowher last week about his possible coaching interest, according to league sources.

After his wife died he stated he would consider coaching again (Aug 24th, 2010):

"The next step might be coaching but he is not in a rush. He enjoys the CBS job and has done well at it. “If the right situation occurred, I’d consider coaching,” he said. “But everyone asks, ‘What’s the right situation?’ I don’t know. I’m not sitting and looking at any one job."

In Oct of 2011 he said he would not coach in 2012:

Instead of CBS signing Bill Cowher to an "exclusive" five-year contract and then refusing to comment on whether "exclusive" means "he can't coach for five years," Cowher has opted to use his Sunday platform to throw water on the possibility of returning in 2012.

He also said he could stay in TV for good:

"After other NFL studio shows Sunday buzzed about where CBS' Bill Cowher might coach next year, Cowher squashed the speculation on CBS' pregame show. "I do not plan on coaching next year.…I plan on being back in the same seat next year." The ex-Pittsburgh coach, in an interview Sunday, suggested he might stay in TV permanently: "That's a distinct possibility.""

He has ties to Whaley who may or may not survive. I could see Whaley being the GM or promoted to an equal level with Cowher and Cowher being given the top role in football op's along with the HC job.

Cowher owns a place in NY:

Per the New York Observer, Cowher dropped $2.65 million on a condo in Manhattan's Upper East Side recently, a 1,500 square foot, two bedroom pad overlooking portions of Central Park.

Not sure whether having a place in NY helps or not. He could be home in an hour from Buff.

There was a rumor that Cowher would consider the Bills (one of the 3 teams he would consider) but I can't seem to find anything on that. I'm sure it's just conjecture but given the consideration he gave us before, his wifes passing, and a better roster this time around, I could see a better chance. Anyways, If you know where that came from can please provide a link.

The biggest issues are whether he wants to coach again and his friendship with Gailey. I wonder if Gailey gets canned, the Bills show interest in Cowher and Cowher contacts Gailey to extend the olive branch about taking the job.

Yes, we have little shot at a marquee HC. But, this is the caliber of HC I want.
    Last edited by X-Era; 12-31-2012, 11:30 AM.

• YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: I want Cowher... I'm dreaming big

Not really a Cowher fan myself, would rather head in a new direction.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• mrbojanglezs
      • Jan 2010

Chip Kelly would be my first choice

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
        Hall of Fame Zoner
        • Jan 2010

i dont think its totally that far fetched. lets hope we lose today to get barkley...

maybe a stupid question- do we go back to the 34? lol

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by MARCELL DAREUS POWER View Post
          i dont think its totally that far fetched. lets hope we lose today to get barkley...

maybe a stupid question- do we go back to the 34? lol
          Barkley will probably be on the board regardless of when we pick...unfortunately.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
            Hall of Fame Zoner
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
            Barkley will probably be on the board regardless of when we pick...unfortunately.
            look man, they are taking a qb. so give whoever it is a chance. i mean, barkley has a solid record. similar to stafford or ryan... what else do you want?

Comment

• Ed
              Dude
              • Sep 2002

I've heard before that Cowher has said that if he returned to coaching he'd only take a job where he had a franchise qb because he knows you can't win without one.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                Hall of Fame Zoner
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                I've heard before that Cowher has said that if he returned to coaching he'd only take a job where he had a franchise qb because he knows you can't win without one.
                wont we be in a position to get one if we lose?

Comment

• Ed
                  Dude
                  • Sep 2002

wont we be in a position to get one if we lose?
                  I don't know. We probably still won't be picking in the top 5 and there will likely be four teams in front of us that have a worse qb situation. Plus there's plenty of debate about this class having any legit franchise type qb's. Even if Cowher thinks there's one or two, we're not guaranteed to get them. I could see a coach looking at the Bills and not being comfortable with their current or future qb situation.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                    • Aug 2004

I sided with Cowher during Donahoe Cowher feud and thought it was a bad hire for Bills making Donahoe the GM. HOWEVER, I think Donahoe's big picture idea is right - hire the upcomers, not recycled one or someone already won and does not have the strong drive any more. That is the Pittsburgh way.

I'm afraid Cowher belongs to the latter category. He quit, unlike Shanahan in Washington who was fired.

Comment

• X-Era
                      • Feb 2005

I don't know. We probably still won't be picking in the top 5 and there will likely be four teams in front of us that have a worse qb situation. Plus there's plenty of debate about this class having any legit franchise type qb's. Even if Cowher thinks there's one or two, we're not guaranteed to get them. I could see a coach looking at the Bills and not being comfortable with their current or future qb situation.
                      The flip side is also true... New HC's like to choose there QB. And Cowher would have a top ten pick (if it works out that way).

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                        Hall of Fame Zoner
                        • Jan 2010

we can get glennon, barkley, smith, murray, wilson...

but i concede your point. it's not the greatest position to be in. the team is so ****ed.

how the hell do the colts go from manning to luck and we havent replaced kelly in almost 2 decades... ugh

Comment

• jlgarsh
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
                          I sided with Cowher during Donahoe Cowher feud and thought it was a bad hire for Bills making Donahoe the GM. HOWEVER, I think Donahoe's big picture idea is right - hire the upcomers, not recycled one or someone already won and does not have the strong drive any more. That is the Pittsburgh way.

I'm afraid Cowher belongs to the latter category. He quit, unlike Shanahan in Washington who was fired.
                          It's not far fetched to believe that Cowher left due to his wife being sick, and didn't want it made public...He had enough money to take time off to spend with her. I think most people would do the same thing (if they could afford to).

Comment

• X-Era
                            • Feb 2005

we can get glennon, barkley, smith, murray, wilson...

but i concede your point. it's not the greatest position to be in. the team is so ****ed.

how the hell do the colts go from manning to luck and we havent replaced kelly in almost 2 decades... ugh
                            I like our chances just as much as most of the teams with presumed vacancies.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                              Peterman Sucks!
                              • Mar 2006

If Cowher does come back to coaching next year and Whaley stays here I'd put Buffalo and Cleveland as the top two likely Cowher landing spots out of what jobs will be available.

Comment

Working...
                              X