Spiller
    Dareus
    Gilmore
    Glenn

To a lesser extent:

Bradham
    Hairston
    Byrd, Wood, and Levitre- Nix was a scout for us

Bad picks are Troup. I'd say Carrington but he's come on. He also has become a hell of a kick blocker

FA:

Stevie extended
    Freddy extended
    Kyle Williams extended
    Mario signed
    Barnett signed
    Drayton Florence signed and let go when he was clearly done

Bad would be Fitz, Merriman, and maybe even Mark Anderson

A few big signings, kept our own, good early picks, not so good mid rounders.

Good would be getting rid of Modrak and bringing in Whaley, bad would be his choice of Gailey as HC

I'm fine if he goes but I think HC and even more importantly QB are a bigger deal. I also don't know that a big name GM can bring in a big name HC which is what I really want.
    Last edited by X-Era; 12-30-2012, 05:36 PM.

• SquishDaFish
    Lets GO BUFFALO!!
    • Jun 2005

Re: How bad is Nix?

Im one of the few who doesnt have a problem with Nix. You cant hold the coach choice against him (Can only get wha Ralph wants to pay for)

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by SquishDaFish View Post
      Im one of the few who doesnt have a problem with Nix. You cant hold the coach choice against him (Can only get wha Ralph wants to pay for)
      correct me if i'm wrong, but i was under the impression that they attempted to back up the brinks truck for mike shanahan last time and he declined.
      I came.
      I saw.
      I conquered.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
        Draft:

Spiller
        Dareus
        Gilmore
        Glenn

To a lesser extent:

Bradham
        Hairston
        Byrd, Wood, and Levitre- Nix was a scout for us

Bad picks are Troup. I'd say Carrington but he's come on. He also has become a hell of a kick blocker

FA:

Stevie extended
        Freddy extended
        Kyle Williams extended
        Mario signed
        Barnett signed
        Drayton Florence signed and let go when he was clearly done

Bad would be Fitz, Merriman, and maybe even Mark Anderson

A few big signings, kept our own, good early picks, not so good mid rounders.

Good would be getting rid of Modrak and bringing in Whaley, bad would be his choice of Gailey as HC

I'm fine if he goes but I think HC and even more importantly QB are a bigger deal. I also don't know that a big name GM can bring in a big name HC which is what I really want.
        I agree. I'm OK if he gets the axe, but I also think that the only really questionable draft was his first, where he got a little too cute with the small school talent. And we got Spiller out of it anyway. Other than that, there's a lot of hindsight involved in the players we passed on in favor of Gilmore, Williams etc

There are a lot of people on our roster now that I think we're good picks. And I think it's a much stronger group than before he got here.

Even Fitz was not a ridiculous move, in that we are not hamstrung by it - we can move on now without a big cap hit, and didn't pay him more than mid-level QB money. It might be argued that we should never have looked at him as a starter, but he did have a streak where he looked like he deserved a chance.
        Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

There are a lot of young guys on this team that are too new to the game to pass judgement on yet, so realistically as far as drafting goes Nix's grade is incomplete.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• McBFLO
            • Mar 2003

2010 - Troup, Wang were the most notable "bad" picks. Not picking a QB ti the 7th round SHOULD be held against him.
            2011 - Selecting Aaron Williams over Dalton and Kaepernick is well-documented. Not selecting a QB in this draft class again should be held against him.
            2012 - TJ Graham instead of Wilson also well-documented. The fact they didn't like him enough because he was a little short is ridiculous. If there's one thing that Drew Brees (and hell, even Doug Flutie as much as I couldn't stand him) proved is that you can still win while not having the prototypical height. Not selecting a QB again this year is completely inexcusable after the horrible losing streak last year after signing Fitz to his extention.

So, while there has been talent added to the roster over the last 3 years, the fact that he screwed up on the 2 most important aspects of building a team (Head Coach and QB) are enough to remove him from his current duties

I wouldn't be against keeping him in the organization as a scout, or head scout or something along those lines. But I think this organization needs to take on a youth movement in the GM, head coach, and QB spots.

I'm not super familiar with GM-to-be prospects from around the league, but the guy from Atlanta, Caldwell (who is from Buffalo), is a respected up-an-coming guy seems like it would be a good fit. Hiring Jay (not John) Gruden as our Head Coach is maybe my first choice. He developed a young QB who wasn't drafted in the 1st round into a quality starter from pretty much Day 1 for a franchise who's had its history with losing and lack of financial commitment to fielding the best team possible. And he's currently in Cincy... not exactly the flashiest of places.

No thanks to Polian. We've gotta stop living in the past.
            Infrequent poster, daily visitor.

Eternal optimist.

Follow me on twitter @CoreyMc81

Comment

• coastal
              Legendary Zoner
              • Mar 2005

TJ Graham.. I mean really...

wtf?!

Not one person understood the pic then and no one understands it now.

and TJ did not one thing to help us understand.

gotta go Buddy.

Comment

• X-Era
                What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by coastal View Post
                TJ Graham.. I mean really...

wtf?!

Not one person understood the pic then and no one understands it now.

and TJ did not one thing to help us understand.

gotta go Buddy.
                So as a rookie he got 322 yards and a TD but that's garbage? Stevie as a rookie got 102 yards and 2 TD's.

I'd agree if he was a 1st rounder.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                  Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                  • Jun 2005

Yea with a real QB who can threat downfield TJ would of been better

Comment

• jimmifli
                    • Nov 2006

I think he's alright at getting talent onto the team (draft and free agency), but he failed at QB, coaches, coordinators and he broke the defence and has been unable to fix it for 3 seasons.

Comment

• cookie G
                      • Mar 2003

The 3 year product of the Buddy Nix defense.

Worse than the 1971 Bills
                      Worse than the 1976 Bills
                      Worse than the 1985 Bills
                      Worse than the 2001 Bills

About the worst in Bills' history, and that's saying something.

There might be a bit of an excuse if he was building a kick ass offense, but THAT'S the side of the ball he really neglected.
                      I won't go into what the offense could have looked like had he not chosen to build this stellar defense.

How bad?

As bad as the empire's commander on forest moon of Endor;
                      As bad as the Clanton Brothers at the OK corral;
                      As bad as Dennis Miller stand up since he became a conservative;
                      As bad as Big 10 football
                      As bad as fighting Joe Hooker at Chancelorville;

Comment

• coastal
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Mar 2005

Endor smack... Awesome.

Comment

• X-Era
                          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by cookie G View Post

The 3 year product of the Buddy Nix defense.

Worse than the 1971 Bills
                          Worse than the 1976 Bills
                          Worse than the 1985 Bills
                          Worse than the 2001 Bills

About the worst in Bills' history, and that's saying something.

There might be a bit of an excuse if he was building a kick ass offense, but THAT'S the side of the ball he really neglected.
                          I won't go into what the offense could have looked like had he not chosen to build this stellar defense.

How bad?

As bad as the empire's commander on forest moon of Endor;
                          As bad as the Clanton Brothers at the OK corral;
                          As bad as Dennis Miller stand up since he became a conservative;
                          As bad as Big 10 football
                          As bad as fighting Joe Hooker at Chancelorville;
                          Is that more a reflection of the GM or the HC? And even more a reflection of the DC and scheme?

I agree that the defense has sucked. I'm not sure I lay first blame on Nix for that.

Comment

• cookie G
                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
                            Is that more a reflection of the GM or the HC? And even more a reflection of the DC and scheme?

I agree that the defense has sucked. I'm not sure I lay first blame on Nix for that.
                            It is very much a reflection of the GM, as he brought the players and the coaches to the fold.

And considering that it was his idea to change the defense before he even hired a coach, I don't know who else to blame BUT him.

Comment

• Don't Panic
                              All-Pro Zoner
                              • Dec 2005

The personnel is not nearly as much to blame as the coaching. Nix has not failed this team... Chan and his crew have. I hope he's given a 1-2 year slow exit/transition and allowed to see this thing through. As for Chan, enjoy retirement.

Comment

Working...
                              X