Spiller
Dareus
Gilmore
Glenn

To a lesser extent:

Bradham
Hairston
Byrd, Wood, and Levitre- Nix was a scout for us

Bad picks are Troup. I'd say Carrington but he's come on. He also has become a hell of a kick blocker

FA:

Stevie extended
Freddy extended
Kyle Williams extended
Mario signed
Barnett signed
Drayton Florence signed and let go when he was clearly done

Bad would be Fitz, Merriman, and maybe even Mark Anderson

A few big signings, kept our own, good early picks, not so good mid rounders.

Good would be getting rid of Modrak and bringing in Whaley, bad would be his choice of Gailey as HC

I'm fine if he goes but I think HC and even more importantly QB are a bigger deal. I also don't know that a big name GM can bring in a big name HC which is what I really want.

SquishDaFish
12-30-2012, 05:39 PM
Im one of the few who doesnt have a problem with Nix. You cant hold the coach choice against him (Can only get wha Ralph wants to pay for)

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-30-2012, 05:44 PM
Im one of the few who doesnt have a problem with Nix. You cant hold the coach choice against him (Can only get wha Ralph wants to pay for)

correct me if i'm wrong, but i was under the impression that they attempted to back up the brinks truck for mike shanahan last time and he declined.

Saratoga Slim
12-30-2012, 05:50 PM
Draft:

Spiller
Dareus
Gilmore
Glenn

To a lesser extent:

Bradham
Hairston
Byrd, Wood, and Levitre- Nix was a scout for us

Bad picks are Troup. I'd say Carrington but he's come on. He also has become a hell of a kick blocker

FA:

Stevie extended
Freddy extended
Kyle Williams extended
Mario signed
Barnett signed
Drayton Florence signed and let go when he was clearly done

Bad would be Fitz, Merriman, and maybe even Mark Anderson

A few big signings, kept our own, good early picks, not so good mid rounders.

Good would be getting rid of Modrak and bringing in Whaley, bad would be his choice of Gailey as HC

I'm fine if he goes but I think HC and even more importantly QB are a bigger deal. I also don't know that a big name GM can bring in a big name HC which is what I really want.

I agree. I'm OK if he gets the axe, but I also think that the only really questionable draft was his first, where he got a little too cute with the small school talent. And we got Spiller out of it anyway. Other than that, there's a lot of hindsight involved in the players we passed on in favor of Gilmore, Williams etc

There are a lot of people on our roster now that I think we're good picks. And I think it's a much stronger group than before he got here.

Even Fitz was not a ridiculous move, in that we are not hamstrung by it - we can move on now without a big cap hit, and didn't pay him more than mid-level QB money. It might be argued that we should never have looked at him as a starter, but he did have a streak where he looked like he deserved a chance.

YardRat
12-30-2012, 05:52 PM
There are a lot of young guys on this team that are too new to the game to pass judgement on yet, so realistically as far as drafting goes Nix's grade is incomplete.

McBFLO
12-30-2012, 05:59 PM
2010 - Troup, Wang were the most notable "bad" picks. Not picking a QB ti the 7th round SHOULD be held against him.
2011 - Selecting Aaron Williams over Dalton and Kaepernick is well-documented. Not selecting a QB in this draft class again should be held against him.
2012 - TJ Graham instead of Wilson also well-documented. The fact they didn't like him enough because he was a little short is ridiculous. If there's one thing that Drew Brees (and hell, even Doug Flutie as much as I couldn't stand him) proved is that you can still win while not having the prototypical height. Not selecting a QB again this year is completely inexcusable after the horrible losing streak last year after signing Fitz to his extention.

So, while there has been talent added to the roster over the last 3 years, the fact that he screwed up on the 2 most important aspects of building a team (Head Coach and QB) are enough to remove him from his current duties

I wouldn't be against keeping him in the organization as a scout, or head scout or something along those lines. But I think this organization needs to take on a youth movement in the GM, head coach, and QB spots.

I'm not super familiar with GM-to-be prospects from around the league, but the guy from Atlanta, Caldwell (who is from Buffalo), is a respected up-an-coming guy seems like it would be a good fit. Hiring Jay (not John) Gruden as our Head Coach is maybe my first choice. He developed a young QB who wasn't drafted in the 1st round into a quality starter from pretty much Day 1 for a franchise who's had its history with losing and lack of financial commitment to fielding the best team possible. And he's currently in Cincy... not exactly the flashiest of places.

No thanks to Polian. We've gotta stop living in the past.

coastal
12-30-2012, 06:19 PM
TJ Graham.. I mean really...

wtf?!

Not one person understood the pic then and no one understands it now.

and TJ did not one thing to help us understand.

gotta go Buddy.

X-Era
12-30-2012, 06:25 PM

wtf?!

gotta go Buddy.So as a rookie he got 322 yards and a TD but that's garbage? Stevie as a rookie got 102 yards and 2 TD's.

I'd agree if he was a 1st rounder.

SquishDaFish
12-30-2012, 06:38 PM
Yea with a real QB who can threat downfield TJ would of been better

jimmifli
12-30-2012, 06:38 PM
I think he's alright at getting talent onto the team (draft and free agency), but he failed at QB, coaches, coordinators and he broke the defence and has been unable to fix it for 3 seasons.

cookie G
12-30-2012, 06:39 PM

The 3 year product of the Buddy Nix defense.

Worse than the 1971 Bills
Worse than the 1976 Bills
Worse than the 1985 Bills
Worse than the 2001 Bills

About the worst in Bills' history, and that's saying something.

There might be a bit of an excuse if he was building a kick ass offense, but THAT'S the side of the ball he really neglected.
I won't go into what the offense could have looked like had he not chosen to build this stellar defense.

How bad?

As bad as the empire's commander on forest moon of Endor;
As bad as the Clanton Brothers at the OK corral;
As bad as Dennis Miller stand up since he became a conservative;
As bad as Big 10 football
As bad as fighting Joe Hooker at Chancelorville;

coastal
12-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Endor smack... Awesome.

X-Era
12-30-2012, 06:41 PM

The 3 year product of the Buddy Nix defense.

Worse than the 1971 Bills
Worse than the 1976 Bills
Worse than the 1985 Bills
Worse than the 2001 Bills

About the worst in Bills' history, and that's saying something.

There might be a bit of an excuse if he was building a kick ass offense, but THAT'S the side of the ball he really neglected.
I won't go into what the offense could have looked like had he not chosen to build this stellar defense.

How bad?

As bad as the empire's commander on forest moon of Endor;
As bad as the Clanton Brothers at the OK corral;
As bad as Dennis Miller stand up since he became a conservative;
As bad as Big 10 football
As bad as fighting Joe Hooker at Chancelorville;Is that more a reflection of the GM or the HC? And even more a reflection of the DC and scheme?

I agree that the defense has sucked. I'm not sure I lay first blame on Nix for that.

cookie G
12-30-2012, 06:44 PM
Is that more a reflection of the GM or the HC? And even more a reflection of the DC and scheme?

I agree that the defense has sucked. I'm not sure I lay first blame on Nix for that.

It is very much a reflection of the GM, as he brought the players and the coaches to the fold.

And considering that it was his idea to change the defense before he even hired a coach, I don't know who else to blame BUT him.

Don't Panic
12-30-2012, 06:45 PM
The personnel is not nearly as much to blame as the coaching. Nix has not failed this team... Chan and his crew have. I hope he's given a 1-2 year slow exit/transition and allowed to see this thing through. As for Chan, enjoy retirement.

jimmifli
12-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Is that more a reflection of the GM or the HC? And even more a reflection of the DC and scheme?

Buddy picked an OC as the head coach and pushed to change the defence from Jauron's bend and break slowly to the 3-4 don't bend just break quickly.

X-Era
12-30-2012, 06:50 PM
I see your point guy but we did not have the roster to run the 3-4. I think that change was a smart one. And the coaching issues lay directly on the coaches.

Put it this way, if Nix brings in Cowher would any success the team has be all because of Nix?

kingJofNYC
12-30-2012, 06:54 PM
If Nix gets partial credit for the good 09 picks, then he should get heat for Maybin. Buddy had little say in that draft.

All you have to do is look at Nix's second and third round selections, not good at all. So many picks spent on D, zero improvement.

Average at best IMO, passed on a lot of generational talents.

X-Era
12-30-2012, 06:56 PM
If Nix gets partial credit for the good 09 picks, then he should get heat for Maybin. Buddy had little say in that draft.

All you have to do is look at Nix's second and third round selections, not good at all. So many picks spent on D, zero improvement.

Average at best IMO, passed on a lot of generational talents.I'd like to see your example of the "standard" as far as another GM with much better picks in the past 3 years.

kingJofNYC
12-30-2012, 07:12 PM
I'd like to see your example of the "standard" as far as another GM with much better picks in the past 3 years.

Look at the Seahawks three year draft period, that regime started exactly when Nix took over, perfect alignment.

No contest who wins.

Don't Panic
12-30-2012, 07:15 PM
Look at the Seahawks three year draft period, that regime started exactly when Nix took over, perfect alignment.

No contest who wins.

oh he's been outperformed, but he's also done better than others have in assembling talent. I don't see his tenure so far. As being dismissible, no matter how justifiably upset the fan base is right now.

X-Era
12-30-2012, 07:19 PM

No contest who wins.Are you talking about the team that way over-drafted Carpenter? Can you find anyone in the 2011 class that's a great pick?

2012- Bruce Irvin is a stud? He looks good but not great. The sacks are nice but wheres the rest of his game? Where are the great picks outside of Wilson?

2010- Okung has not lived up to the hype, Earl Thomas was a good pick.

I see a pattern of overdrafting and making mistakes, not the great picks you claim.

kingJofNYC
12-30-2012, 07:22 PM
oh he's been outperformed, but he's also done better than others have in assembling talent. I don't see his tenure so far. As being dismissible, no matter how justifiably upset the fan base is right now.

I think he's been average, that's not terrible, what kills Nix is his first two second and third round selections. Hasn't hit in the middle rounds. His first two second rounders have been non factors and they passed up premium players to take the guys they did. Williams was trash at Texas, much better players available. Pass on a guy like Cobb, then reach for Graham, just eats me up.

kingJofNYC
12-30-2012, 07:29 PM
Are you talking about the team that way over-drafted Carpenter? Can you find anyone in the 2011 class that's a great pick?

2012- Bruce Irvin is a stud? He looks good but not great. The sacks are nice but wheres the rest of his game? Where are the great picks outside of Wilson?

2010- Okung has not lived up to the hype, Earl Thomas was a good pick.

I see a pattern of overdrafting and making mistakes, not the great picks you claim.
Richard Sherman is an absolute stud, better corner than anyone on this roster, Gilmore has potential to be a Sherman type. Shermans one of the best in the league even though Steve took him to the woodshed. You're nuts.

Fine, they over drafted Carpenter, Buddy overdrafted Graham, Torrell Troup and Aaron Williams.

Sherman, Okung, Thomas, KJ Wright, Wagner, Chancellor, Wilson, and Robert Turbin are all very good selections. With Lynch playing the way he is everyone sleeps on Turbins ability but wait until he gets his shot.

Those guys are all starters and major contributors. Wright would be our best linebacker and Wagner would be the best LB we've had since Fletcher. I don't think you've watched the Seahawks enough. I count 7 really really good players, Nix has 4 at best and that's if Dareus bounces back from his dismal year and Gilmore develops into one of the enter CBs in the league.

X-Era
12-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Richard Sherman is an absolute stud, better corner than anyone on this roster, Gilmore has potential to be a Sherman type. Shermans one of the best in the league even though Steve took him to the woodshed. You're nuts.

Fine, they over drafted Carpenter, Buddy overdrafted Graham, Torrell Troup and Aaron Williams.

Sherman, Okung, Thomas, KJ Wright, Wagner, Chancellor, Wilson, and Robert Turbin are all very good selections. With Lynch playing the way he is everyone sleeps on Turbins ability but wait until he gets his shot.

Those guys are all starters and major contributors. Wright would be our best linebacker and Wagner would be the best LB we've had since Fletcher. I don't think you've watched the Seahawks enough. I count 7 really really good players, Nix has 4 at best and that's if Dareus bounces back from his dismal year and Gilmore develops into one of the enter CBs in the league.

Wow man. I guess I'll just disagree.

kingJofNYC
12-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Wow man. I guess I'll just disagree.
Seahawks are playoff bound, they seem to be doing just fine.

Youre still trying to convince yourself that Hairston is an NFL caliber RT. Have fun!

ThunderGun
12-30-2012, 07:47 PM
Honestly, I agree with the direction that Nix has taken the team. Build the lines, don't reach on a qb, extend our own, ect. But the fact that he is (reportedly) trying to save Chan, has me doubting him...

jimmifli
12-30-2012, 08:16 PM
Honestly, I agree with the direction that Nix has taken the team. Build the lines, don't reach on a qb, extend our own, ect. But the fact that he is (reportedly) trying to save Chan, has me doubting him...

Chan has done a better job than Nix, I'd keep Chan before I kept Nix.

BertSquirtgum
12-30-2012, 08:17 PM
Nix is garbage. Have fun on the golf course you old pile of crap.

Mr. Miyagi
12-30-2012, 08:58 PM
I like Nix. We just need a real coach and a real QB.

However if he's dead loyal to Gailey then he's gone.

JoeMama
12-30-2012, 09:03 PM

wtf?!

gotta go Buddy.

When it was announced we had traded up in the 3rd round I thought for sure Russel Wilson was our guy.

Then we get this smallish WR with awful hands.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q263/JoeMama025/interesting_zps348c927b.jpg

X-Era
12-30-2012, 09:04 PM

If Polian prevents a marquee HC and Nix could get one I'd rather have Nix.

HC and QB are a bigger priority IMO.

JoeMama
12-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Also, another guy who belongs on the BAD PICK list is Aaron Williams.

Did that kid backslide in epic proportion this season or what???

I really thought he'd be better.

X-Era
12-30-2012, 09:13 PM
Can someone make an argument the roster isn't much better than when Nix arrived?

Or that signing Mario William wasn't a major statement?

GingerP
12-30-2012, 09:46 PM
Can someone make an argument the roster isn't much better than when Nix arrived?

He spent a fortune to bring in a good DE to help the pass rush. He did get a special player in Spiller and two pretty good young players in Gilmore and Dareus, but all those guys where top-10 picks. They should be good, right?

What has he done besides that? How many of the players he has brought in would even play on a decent team? None of the LB are worth a damn. The only ohter player in the secondary any good is Byrd, who he inherited. The other good player up front is Williams, and he inherited him.

Offensively, he inherited Stevie and Jackson. Chandler is a good receiver, but not a great all-around TE. They do have some pretty good players on the OL, but Levitre and Wood are from before he became GM. Glenn looks like a good pick, but it is too early to say he was a great pick.

Seriously, I'm not that impressed. When you look at the failure to get a QB worth a damn combined with the big extension given to a journeyman along with the coaching staff he hired, it isn't a very good resume'. Add in he traded away a guy who has been one of the best backs in the NFL over the last 3 years, he is lucky to have a job.

X-Era
12-30-2012, 09:49 PM
He spent a fortune to bring in a good DE to help the pass rush. He did get a special player in Spiller and two pretty good young players in Gilmore and Dareus, but all those guys where top-10 picks. They should be good, right?

What has he done besides that? How many of the players he has brought in would even play on a decent team? None of the LB are worth a damn. The only ohter player in the secondary any good is Byrd, who he inherited. The other good player up front is Williams, and he inherited him.

Offensively, he inherited Stevie and Jackson. Chandler is a good receiver, but not a great all-around TE. They do have some pretty good players on the OL, but Levitre and Wood are from before he became GM. Glenn looks like a good pick, but it is too early to say he was a great pick.

Seriously, I'm not that impressed. When you look at the failure to get a QB worth a damn combined with the big extension given to a journeyman along with the coaching staff he hired, it isn't a very good resume'. Add in he traded away a guy who has been one of the best backs in the NFL over the last 3 years, he is lucky to have a job.
Good argument but didn't address my question. Is the roster better than when he arrived?

Smart people picked this team to be a playoff team based on the roster. This roster is better IMO.

Novacane
12-30-2012, 09:52 PM
Nix has made two huge screw ups. 1. Gailey. 2. Not addressing our QB problem for 3 years. He passed on guys who are going to be good QB's in this league. Unforgivable imo.

GingerP
12-30-2012, 10:04 PM
Good argument but didn't address my question. Is the roster better than when he arrived?

Smart people picked this team to be a playoff team based on the roster. This roster is better IMO.

Are they more talented? Maybe marginally, but not much. They still don't have a QB. They are good at RB, but were before with Jackson and Lynch. The OL is better. TE is marginally better, but still below average for an NFL team. WR is better, but mostly due to the emergence of Stevie (who was already on the team.

Defensively, they are better up front, but spent a lot of resources to make it that way. The secondary isn't better. The LB corps is a trainwreck. ST is a wash.

People can think what they want, they are wrong. This isn't a good team. They have a few players, but so doesn't Arizona. So doesn't Carolina. They still suck, and like most sucky teams in the NFL they don't have enough good players. Gailey may not be a great coach, but I think talent is the main problem.

How many difference-makers are there on this team? How many guys who are one of the best at their position? Spiller is electric, but hasn't shown he can carry a team like the top backs in the league (he hasn't been given the opportunity, either). Byrd is probably one of the best S in the NFL.

That is it. They spent $100M on a DE, but he is not special. Kyle Williams is close, but not top-5 at his position.

Seriously, you way over-rate the talent they have.

X-Era
12-30-2012, 10:25 PM
Are they more talented? Maybe marginally, but not much. They still don't have a QB. They are good at RB, but were before with Jackson and Lynch. The OL is better. TE is marginally better, but still below average for an NFL team. WR is better, but mostly due to the emergence of Stevie (who was already on the team.

Defensively, they are better up front, but spent a lot of resources to make it that way. The secondary isn't better. The LB corps is a trainwreck. ST is a wash.

People can think what they want, they are wrong. This isn't a good team. They have a few players, but so doesn't Arizona. So doesn't Carolina. They still suck, and like most sucky teams in the NFL they don't have enough good players. Gailey may not be a great coach, but I think talent is the main problem.

How many difference-makers are there on this team? How many guys who are one of the best at their position? Spiller is electric, but hasn't shown he can carry a team like the top backs in the league (he hasn't been given the opportunity, either). Byrd is probably one of the best S in the NFL.

That is it. They spent $100M on a DE, but he is not special. Kyle Williams is close, but not top-5 at his position.

Seriously, you way over-rate the talent they have.So they are better at many areas but aren't better overall?

Fitz was a better QB than Trent. We started him. He wasn't good enough. But he was better.

The OL, DL, WR, RB, TE are better. The secondary is a push. The LB may be worse.

So one area is worse. I agree.

Is QB good enough? Hell no. I agree.

The question was if the roster is better and the answer is yes.

GingerP
12-31-2012, 04:58 AM
The question was if the roster is better and the answer is yes.

OL, DL are better.

WR, TE are better, but still not good enough.

QB, RB are a push.

LB and secondary are worse.

Marginally better. So what? They sucked before and suck a little less now. They still lack talent, despite having 3 straight years of top-10 picks and spending $100M on a player, they are only marginally more talented.

Nix has not done a good job, he has not been good. He should be fired. 3 years later and they are last in the AFC East with 6 wins. How is that good enough?

bf1
12-31-2012, 06:34 AM
I don't give buddy any credit whatsoever for the first round draft picks he was gifted for sucking the previous season. He's done very little to improve the team talent wise. Their record speaks for itself.

Don't Panic
12-31-2012, 06:51 AM
The only way you fire Nix is if you are sure you have a worthy replacement who is both a significant improvement and willing to take the job. Firing Nix just because you are mad at him because Chan can't coach doesn't make sense to me. Call him in for a meeting, ask him how he plans to address the personnel issues and who his short list is of people to hire as the next coach. Then create a succession plan for Whaley and make the moves necessary (not many IMO) to turn this into a playoff team.

coastal
12-31-2012, 07:09 AM
http://www.worldsend.com/discography/Fools%20Gold%20300.jpg

justasportsfan
12-31-2012, 07:19 AM

this is where I'm at except that I can't say I LIKE Nix. He's not as bad as people make him out to be in terms of players. Just like Donahoe, if he insists on sticking with crappy head coaches then they can leave.

DesertFox24
12-31-2012, 07:28 AM
Nix is not this teams problem. Everyone wants to blame him but compared to what this was roster looked like in 2010 this is a much better roster with some pieces to build around. Granted they are all young pieces that need to learn.

The switch to a 34 and then back to a 43 killed the defensive development of this team. We did not have the personnel to run a 34 and switching to a 43 was a better move but growing pains were to be expected.

Bottom line I think Gailey needs to go but no reason to fire Nix.

The guy has brought in very productive players and deserves credit (urbik, Reinhart, Moore, Chandler, etc...)

He has drafted 2 studs in the first round and a potential stud. I think Dareus needs to lose some weight, or better coaching will help them by putting them in better positions.

Aaron Williams can not stay healthy and this coming season will determine his fate.

TJ Graham is a rookie and to be honest way to early to judge Wilson or Kapernick. I want to see what these guys do when these really smart defense coordinators study the read option and devise ways to stop it, like the wildcat. The wildcat was fantastic that first year and then no where near as productive the following years.