PDA

View Full Version : Rookie QB's take a few years to become good... Not anymore

X-Era
12-30-2012, 10:20 PM
Aikman and Manning both went 3 and 13 in their first year...

But this year, Luck, RG3, and Russell Wilson all took their team to the playoffs in their rookie years. None had less than 10 regular season wins.

Last year it was Dalton.

Personally I want that to happen here.

Go Bills

JoeMama
12-30-2012, 10:26 PM
Breaking news: X-Era wants playoffs to happen here!

It's pretty amazing how quickly some of these modern QBs progress. Flacco and Ryan both went to the playoffs their rookie seasons. Ditto Dalton, Luck, RGIII, Kaepernick, and Wilson.

However with this year's QB crop looking so thin on talent, I doubt we'll see this phenomenon continue in 2013.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-30-2012, 10:27 PM
I thought kapernick was in year two?

X-Era
12-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Breaking news: X-Era wants playoffs to happen here!

It's pretty amazing how quickly some of these modern QBs progress. Flacco and Ryan both went to the playoffs their rookie seasons. Ditto Dalton, Luck, RGIII, Kaepernick, and Wilson.

With this year's QB crop looking so thin on talent, I doubt we'll see this phenomenon continue in 2013.

Yes... Yes I do.

But no... No there probably isn't a phenom.

X-Era
12-30-2012, 10:28 PM
He is

JoeMama
12-30-2012, 10:28 PM

You're right.

I should've said first year starting.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Your point is still valid

JoeMama
12-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Yes... Yes I do.

But no... No there probably isn't a phenom.

Never know, I guess.

There's usually a winner or two in every draft.

Figuring out who that guy is will be the hard pat. I definitely wouldn't want to be the GM in charge of taking a QB this year.

kingJofNYC
12-30-2012, 10:35 PM
Another example of Bumbling Buddy Nix.

Thought we could win with Fitz! Take a young QB early? Nonsense, we have a 7th rounder from Harvard whose bounced around the league, lets extend him and put the franchise on his back!

jimmifli
12-30-2012, 10:52 PM
I think the college game has changed enough that most of these QBs are exposed to either a pro style offense or similar skills required for a pro style offense (ability to make a read).

Also, the top QBs receive tutoring much earlier from their agents or pro development consultants, usually starting after the bowl games are done. In the past, a QB had never called plays in the huddle, never had option or hot routes, spent the offseason Rob Johnsoning in hottubs then showed up at camp in August (after holding out) with about the same knowledge of the playbook as Tavaris Jackson. I can understand why it took a while for them to figure things out.

pmoon6
12-30-2012, 10:55 PM
There are a few reasons for it.

1) Coordinators are adapting their offense so the rookie can run some of what they ran in college.

2) High profile rookies are being protected just like Manning and Brady by letting all sorts of holding go on.

3) Better athletes, meaning the ability to run, are being groomed at QB in college, so their transition to the NFL is easier.

4) The rookie no longer has to read that much because the D-backs aren't allowed to even cover and pick plays aren't even called anymore.

5) You don't have to worry about the rookie getting killed because even if a defender gets by the holds, you can't hit him high, you can't hit them low and makes defensive players afraid to lay a big lick for fear of a penalty and then maybe a fine.

Now that's not to say these guys aren't talented, they are. The league has just made it easier for them to succeed from the gitgo.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-30-2012, 11:00 PM
plenty to choose from,

smith, barkley, wilson, glennon, murray, jones....

Mike
12-30-2012, 11:01 PM

1) Coordinators are adapting their offense so the rookie can run some of what they ran in college.

2) High profile rookies are being protected just like Manning and Brady by letting all sorts of holding go on.

3) Better athletes, meaning the ability to run, are being groomed at QB in college, so their transition to the NFL is easier.

4) The rookie no longer has to read that much because the D-backs aren't allowed to even cover and pick plays aren't even called anymore.

5) You don't have to worry about the rookie getting killed because even if a defender gets by the holds, you can't hit him high, you can't hit them low and makes defensive players afraid to lay a big lick for fear of a penalty and then maybe a fine.

Now that's not to say these guys aren't talented, they are. The league has just made it easier for them to succeed from the gitgo.

6) Madden Football is helping young QBs learn how to read and manipulate defenses. The game is so good,so realistic that you can learn how to read different coverages, blitzes, audible plays, change routs, hot reads, option routes etc...

And all of this can be done at a very young age

pmoon6
12-30-2012, 11:04 PM
6) Madden Football is helping young QBs learn how to read and manipulate defenses. The game is so good,so realistic that you can learn how to read different coverages, blitzes, audible plays, change routs, hot reads, option routes etc...

And all of this can be done at a very young ageGood point, but I don't play video games so that's over my head. Thanks for the info.

Buddo
12-31-2012, 04:37 AM

QFT.
Where things should get interesting, is in how much further some of these guys develop. The NFL can, and will, adapt to what these guys do. They actually need to keep improving, if they are going to last, in the way that the likes of Manning and Brady have. I wouldn't be at all surprised, if a couple of years on down the line, that some of these guys start to look very ordinary, when the coaches have come up with ways of stopping the option plays, if they haven't progressed further.
Should be interesting.
The guy who seems most likely to have the sort of career that Manning/Brady have had, will be Luck, as he is the closest to the traditional pocket passer. Can the others still have that type of length of career - for sure - but you won't see a 35 yr old RG3 or Newton, going the distance on his legs. ;)

YardRat
12-31-2012, 06:02 AM
They certainly are having more of an immediate impact as opposed to years previous, but the jury is still out if any of them can remain successful long-term. I'm betting more have VYoung-type careers, as opposed to Brady, Mannings, or even Flacco.

Night Train
12-31-2012, 08:10 AM
Russell Wilson would have been a healthy scratch in all 16 games. Fitz is God in Gaileys eyes.